PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive in Escape Hybrid

Redster
04-28-2006, 05:07 PM
I had been interested in this vehicle since I first heard of it. We have been looking for a replacement for my wife's car and this sounded like a winner for a couple of reasons. I like the green aspects and of course better gas mileage.
Anyway, I had been in contact with a salesman at Five Star Ford via the net asking about availability, Xplan, etc. I mentioned that I would like to drive one and he called this week. So, we took a drive in one last night.
It made two big impressions on me,
1. It is about the quietest vehicle I have ever driven.
2. The CVT transmission is really neat. (Did Ford copy an old Powerglide?)
The Escape drove well but does ride like a truck. It had plenty of power when I hit a freeway on-ramp. I think it is a winner and will probably buy one next year. We are looking for a good in-town grocery getter.

HwyCruiser
04-28-2006, 05:19 PM
We've had an '01 Escape V6 XLT AWD for almost 5 years now. It has a 4-speed automatic. Although we've had some problems with the brakes last year (replaced master cylinder and booster under extended warranty), it has been a real dependable vehicle for us.

There's not much the AWD can't get around in on surface roads, it just loves tearing through snow. It switches from FWD to AWD automatically, or you can switch it into full time AWD on the dash. I just leave it in auto. We get around 25 mpg on the highway, never kept track of city mileage. My wife and the kids love it. Good choice for a small SUV.

grampaws
04-29-2006, 01:50 AM
They seem to me to have a nicer interior layout than
some of the larger SUV's..I would probably consider one
over the navigator or explorer..

Bluerauder
04-29-2006, 04:40 AM
We are looking for a good in-town grocery getter.
Have you checked out the Ford Freestyle ?? I picked up an '06 Freestyle Limited in January for the wife. It's a little pricier than the Escape (might be about $ equal to the Escape Hybrid); but the advantages are substantial IMHO. The F/S is a very stylish looking both inside and out ... and versatile vehicle that handles well, comes with many options, and reconfigures in seconds. We are very happy with the Freestyle ..... and it gets almost as much attention as the Marauder. :D

ctrcbob
04-29-2006, 11:06 AM
My sister and brother-in-law have an 05 Freestyle with the CVT & AWD. They both love it.

They got it when Ford was selling them with the "Employee Discount", plus at the time, the Freestyle was not selling very good. Ford was going to end production after the 06's. Well, now the public found out how good the Freestyle really is, plus how it is rated as one of the safest cars on the road. The price has gone UP, and dealers no longer want to discount them. Ford changed their mind, and is now going to continue making them.

(Wish Ford would change their mind about naming their Lincolns with those stupid "MK" names in 07 - I.E. Zephyr will be the MKZ - :down: :fire: )

pantheroc
04-29-2006, 07:29 PM
How about this Escape?

SideshowBob
04-30-2006, 03:18 PM
(Wish Ford would change their mind about naming their Lincolns with those stupid "MK" names in 07 - I.E. Zephyr will be the MKZ - :down: :fire: )

Lincoln originally used the Zephyr name for their lower priced, "entry level" car back in the '30s. It had a 12 cylinder flathead engine.