PDA

View Full Version : The last thing you're expecting to see...

TripleTransAm
04-29-2006, 07:49 PM
On my way to the airport a few days ago, I was randomly shooting photos out the window and upon examining the photos on a PC, seems I caught the following parked in downtown Stockholm.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90 88&stc=1&d=1146365250

Exactly one week earlier, I had seen another GT in a smaller town 4 hours bus-ride to the south of Stockholm... the exhaust note sounded weird so either he opted for a dodgy exhaust system or Euro spec Stangs have a different exhaust.

DarthMarauder
04-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Looks like it even has US plates. May be a US spec that someone imported. Reminds me of a video I seen of some guys that imported over some US muscle. Guy picked up a Lightning and they were cruising around Europe in the Lightning and they guy with him had a Stang both has US plate areas. They are finally catching on. LOL

Vortex
04-30-2006, 12:23 PM
I was stationed at the US Consulate in Bombay, India from 2000-2003 and one day I was driving around that hellhole and spotted a dayglow green 70 Charger R/T. I about had a wreck.

TripleTransAm
04-30-2006, 05:06 PM
I know the feeling, and interestingly enough it also involved a Charger! I spent 2 weeks on one of the nine islands of the Acores in July 1985... walking through the dense older section of the capital city (Ponta Delgada) I suddenly heard a deep rumble and saw a mint 1968-1970 Charger (some sort of deep metallic burgundy or dark red) squeezing through the narrow old-world street. I wasn't into cars much more than the TV-famous vehicles so other than knowing it was the same car as on the Dukes of Hazzard, I couldn't really tell the difference in model years. But what an unexpected sight!

T-5 Killer
05-01-2006, 06:13 AM
That Rocks!!!!! Its nice too see some american cars in europe. It remindes me of the old school video's of Galaxie's roadracing vs mini coopers!!!!

Big House
05-01-2006, 06:21 AM
How nice it would be to roll through a quiet England abby rumbling straight pipes and Super 40 Flowmasters...American Muscle rules.

ctrcbob
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Hope they have a trailer hitch on those US cars in Europe, to carry all the money they need to pay for that $7.00 a gallon gas. Just checked the exchange rate a few minutes ago, www.oanda.com (http://www.oanda.com) and the rate dropped an additional 2 cents since yesterday. (Banks give you even less than quoted by oanda).

I last week, I picked up 1500 Euros, and it cost me $1978.00. Four years ago, the Euro and Dollar were about par. I was going to pick up another
1500 Euros week after next, but the Dollar is falling so fast, I think I'll order them tomorrow.

Leaving for France in eight days. Last time I looked, gas over there was
1.40 Euros per Liter. Thats about 5.40 Euros per US Gallon, or $7.00 per gallon. Believe it or not, it costs less in France than in many other EU Countries. Last time I was in Annecy France (in the Alps), people from Switzerland would cross into France for food and gas, as it was so much cheaper in France.

Hope my new leased Renault Laguna with the 2.0 DOHC 16V Engine gets as good gas milage as the 1.6 I leased in 1999 or the 1.8 I leased in 2002.
BTW, the Laguna I leased in 2002 was the best shifting car I've ever had. (yes it was a manual, but thats what I want). It was like shifting through butter. Not only was that a great car, but say what you want about Renault's, every Renault I've ever leased (1989, R21: 1999, R21 Diesel:
1999, Laguna II: 2002, Laguna II) have been great cars with never an iota of problems.

GreekGod
05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
The first Mercedes I ever drove was a 70's 4 door sedan Diesel. Hydraulic clutch and smoothest shifting manual trans I've ever driven.

shakes_26
05-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm jealous, I got shafted with a Laguna for a company car, they had to scrounge a new one for me when I arrived, had they waited a few more weeks I could have had a Laguna II, much nicer car. I beat the ever living tar out of that 1.9DCI motor, got all 110hp worth out of it too!

Give them credit, as much abuse and high speed continuous abuse I gave it, it ran perfect until i turned it in three years later.

Annecy, beautiful area, my cousin lives nearby, Thones, coincidentally my highspeed record on the motorcycle, 224km/h, down the A41, not bad for no fairing roadster.

Enjoy yourself, beautiful time to go over, maybe September for me.

As for fuel prices, it is what it is. Consider your getting 'regular' which is 95 octane, and 'High test' is 98 octane for those prices, well, not that bad. I paid 6.15 for 98 at the track recently. At least the car should return decent l/100 km :D ( have fun trying to do the math in your head to convert should keep you busy)

Hope they have a trailer hitch on those US cars in Europe, to carry all the money they need to pay for that $7.00 a gallon gas. Just checked the exchange rate a few minutes ago, www.oanda.com (http://www.oanda.com) and the rate dropped an additional 2 cents since yesterday. (Banks give you even less than quoted by oanda).

I last week, I picked up 1500 Euros, and it cost me $1978.00. Four years ago, the Euro and Dollar were about par. I was going to pick up another
1500 Euros week after next, but the Dollar is falling so fast, I think I'll order them tomorrow.

Leaving for France in eight days. Last time I looked, gas over there was
1.40 Euros per Liter. Thats about 5.40 Euros per US Gallon, or $7.00 per gallon. Believe it or not, it costs less in France than in many other EU Countries. Last time I was in Annecy France (in the Alps), people from Switzerland would cross into France for food and gas, as it was so much cheaper in France.

Hope my new leased Renault Laguna with the 2.0 DOHC 16V Engine gets as good gas milage as the 1.6 I leased in 1999 or the 1.8 I leased in 2002.
BTW, the Laguna I leased in 2002 was the best shifting car I've ever had. (yes it was a manual, but thats what I want). It was like shifting through butter. Not only was that a great car, but say what you want about Renault's, every Renault I've ever leased (1989, R21: 1999, R21 Diesel:
1999, Laguna II: 2002, Laguna II) have been great cars with never an iota of problems.

GreekGod
05-03-2006, 03:12 AM
USA Octane numbers are (or were) R + M divided by two. Are not Euro #'s different?

TripleTransAm
05-04-2006, 07:59 PM
More North American cars seen in Sweden...

I've actually seen a few of these PTs around there. This one was spotted about a 1/4 of a mile up the street while I was fooling around with my cheap long lens:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91 14&stc=1&d=1146797453

I guess this one is getting close to achieving "classic" status. I always did have a thing for black and gold paint treatments.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91 13&stc=1&d=1146797424

This one surprised me, on the E4 northbound just outside of Stockholm. The rain prevented a clear shot, but notable are the rear mounted fog lamps and the orange turn signal lenses. I don't recall having seen the "multi port injection" badges up front, so I suppose it was a 2.0l instead of the 2.8/3.1 liter V6.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91 15&stc=1&d=1146797519

Hard to see here, but it looks like this model did not come with the flush aero lamps that were found on North American Corsicas. Looks like a cross with an old Cavalier.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91 16&stc=1&d=1146797527