PDA

View Full Version : Does Ford get a benefit from NASCAR?

dwasson
04-29-2006, 09:07 PM

NASCAR Nation? No thanks.

Austin, Texas. Peter set-off a firestorm last week with his "Fumes" column about the fact that one of what we used to call the "Big Three" was in serious discussions to pull-out of NASCAR. You would have thought he was suggesting some radical idea that would adversely affect the well being of every citizen of this country - judging by the amount of vitriol directed toward him. But all he said was that one of the Detroit car companies was seriously investigating its options and making definitive plans to properly assess a world that didn't revolve around continuing their involvement in NASCAR. That's it. He even acquiesced to an interview on NASCAR's official radio network - on MRN Radio's Sirius Speedway show - in which the "host" treated him in a condescending tone, like he was guilty of blasphemy or even high treason, his crimes against the NASCAR Empire were so blatant and unforgivable.

Peter did his best not to just cut the interview off, deeming it afterwards as a monumental waste of his time (which it was), but I don't have to be that cordial.

NASCAR Nation is a flat-out fraud - there, I said it. The people who count themselves as "fans" of NASCAR "racing" have been duped and sold a bill of goods. NASCAR has devolved from a grass-roots celebration of American racing like it used to be (and like it should still be) into a fabricated, synthesized and sanitized marketing "vehicle" that exists solely for the edification and the profitability of the France family and its legions of enablers (aka the corporate sponsors) and the equally subservient TV networks. It is an unbridled greed-fest that has exactly zero to do with real racing and everything to do with marketing "synergies" and programming content that ultimately has nothing to do with the fans - other than to somehow entice them into buying more NASCAR wearables, souvenirs and trinkets and trash - which in turn helps propel the NASCAR money train even further down the tracks.

What once was an authentic form of racing - based, at one point, on the fundamentally appealing hook of racing cars that you and I could actually buy in the showroom - has become a spec car series that has nothing to do with anything even remotely to do with the vehicles we drive. And that's just the beginning of the giant disconnect that NASCAR brings to the table.

But you can't tell NASCAR Nation that, oh, hell no. As a matter of fact, if one has the temerity to even question anything about NASCAR they are immediately vilified and branded an undesirable - or worse.

What is that about, anyway? People aren't supposed to like or prefer any other forms of racing? We are only allowed to like NASCAR in this country and if we don't we're what - un-American?

Unf---ing believable.

Well, count me out. Other than exactly four races a year - the Daytona 500, the Sears Point and Watkins Glen road races and the Bristol night race - I couldn't care less. NASCAR is tedious, repetitive, homogenized, predictable and ridiculous - and on top of that, anyone who can sit there and tell me with a straight face that restrictor-plate "racing" makes any sense at all must be living in fantasy land.

I, along with hundreds of thousands of other racing fans in this country enjoy many forms of racing that don't begin with six capitol letters. I'm not going to sit here and delineate them all either, but suffice to say there is plenty of racing going on in this country that hasn't been corroded by the France family's tentacles or corporate America's all-consuming passion for programming "content."

So, I would hope that all of the Detroit manufacturers would show some cojones and say, "You know, come to think of it, this makes absolutely no sense to us at all." Yeah, NASCAR gets the "numbers" and delivers the "right" demographics, but at the end of the day the benefit to the Detroit manufacturers is slim and none. How can I possibly say that, you might say? Simple. NASCAR's popularity certainly hasn't worked wonders for Detroit in the showrooms, now has it?

Peter is absolutely right - NASCAR could exist just fine without the Detroit manufacturers. As a matter of fact, it would unleash another boom for NASCAR's overflowing coffers, because rather than having to pay the GM, Ford and Chrysler license fees for the use of their logos, NASCAR could keep all of the money from its newly-minted scale model "NASCAR Specials" collectibles for itself.

I was one of those people who actually used to say, "Wouldn't it be cool if the newspapers and media outlets would give proper coverage to racing for a change other than just the Indy 500 and the Daytona 500, and treat it just like other major league sports?" But in one of the most painful examples of "be careful what you wish for" I can think of - now we have every two-bit newspaper and local TV sports show bobblehead inundating us with NASCAR, not to mention the complete abdication of the SPEED Channel in its mission to become NASCAR TV - and it just really pisses me off.

NASCAR is about marketing and money, and if the denizens of NASCAR Nation want to delude themselves into thinking otherwise, be my guest. But I for one am mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it one minute longer - and I know there are hundreds of thousands of people out there just like me.

Adios until the next time.

Gre8one7
04-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Ok, your in your mall in your area or some store and you see a Ford shirt with the NASCAR symbol on it...ford must pay to use that NASCAR logo. Same goes the other way, NASCAR must pay Ford to use their logo. Manufacturers do pretty much nothing for the racing teams...all cars are made 99% out of the real manufacturers. These teams are now making everything theirself and they only have the sponsorship for the car make. But i noticed on thing today, My roommate and I were at a chevy dealer looking at cars(ford place was closed) and he said "Man, who would have thought 2 ford guys would be cought in a chevy dealer". Thats where ford wins, there are those people out there that watch NASCAR and pick a driver and then when they go out to buy a car they think, Hey my driver runs this and then that will make them more likely to buy that car. It may sound stupid but have you been to a race and seen some of the fans? I may be a Gordon fan but i have never drove anything except a Ford but my mom was looking for a car a few years ago, she liked Earnheart and she wanted a monte carlo...thank god i talked her out of that.

TripleTransAm
04-30-2006, 02:55 AM
I may be a Gordon fan but i have never drove anything except a Ford but my mom was looking for a car a few years ago, she liked Earnheart and she wanted a monte carlo...thank god i talked her out of that.

Wow, I guess I dodged a bullet the past few years I've been attending the Cummins 500 truck races! Who knows what my car (er, truck) stash might have looked like...

Hope I never run into a guy with a "CAT" ball cap at a mall... things could really get complicated there.:P

SergntMac
04-30-2006, 06:08 AM
I thought it was about the crashes...SMASHCAR?

dwasson
04-30-2006, 06:21 AM
I've stopped caring about NASCAR since it wasn't about stock cars. With the cars being purpose built race cars, and the drivers being bland and boring, all that's left are the crashes. And crashes can only hold your interest for so long.

The four races that the author above mentions as his favorites, the Daytona 500, the Sears Point and Watkins Glen road races and Bristol, are the only ones that that I bother to watch. And that is only if I'm front of the TV, I don't drop anything to watch them.

NASCAR was a lot of fun in the 60s and 70s. Now it is just a long noisy commercial.

TripleTransAm
04-30-2006, 06:30 AM
I thought it was about the crashes...SMASHCAR?

HA! I never heard that one before. LOL! Excellent alternate name, I'll have to start using that from now on! LOL!

I was big on Nascar racing in the mid-to-late 80s when I got back into V8 love in a big way. I loved the in-car video but especially craved the accompanying soundtrack! Like a drug, it was! No brand loyalty... just enjoying the whole experience of the race. (might that have been partly responsible for my emerging mullet at the time? hmmm...)

I have no idea how enjoyable are the current TV presentations (I think it's cool to show throttle and braking info as they race), but if I want to get a similar dose of V8 roar and wail, I just have to hop into my WS6 and delay some upshifts (or more recently since my 78's exhaust "upgrade", a couple of WOT runs at highway speeds will do the trick!).

Joe Walsh
04-30-2006, 06:50 AM
I've stopped caring about NASCAR since it wasn't about stock cars. With the cars being purpose built race cars, and the drivers being bland and boring, all that's left are the crashes. And crashes can only hold your interest for so long.

The four races that the author above mentions as his favorites, the Daytona 500, the Sears Point and Watkins Glen road races and Bristol, are the only ones that that I bother to watch. And that is only if I'm front of the TV, I don't drop anything to watch them.

NASCAR was a lot of fun in the 60s and 70s. Now it is just a long noisy commercial.

Me too! I once watched NASCAR races on TV, and attended them frequently...

Dover, Richmond, Charlotte, Pocono

But in the last 10 years I've lost almost all interest in NASCAR.

The nail in the coffin began with 2 door Tauruses and finished with TOYOTA's hand built cam-in-block 'production' V8....WTF?...YEAH! ....RIGHT!:mad2:

Now you cannot tell what Manufacturer's vehicle it is due to the morphed body shells, painted on front end features, and *****load of wanna-be sponsor decals.
That's why you have to depend on the all important paint scheme.:rolleyes: (You can't even read the numbers on the back stretch of Pocono.)

NASCAR will continue to transform itself and betray its' roots in search of an ever larger fanbase.

In a few years it will only be TOYOTA, HONDA & NISSAN racing NASCAR with cam-in-block V8 'STOCK' cars...:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

FastMerc
04-30-2006, 06:51 AM
Oh hell ya I agree,STOCKCAR RACING DOESNT EXIST ANYMORE.Richard Petty said it best in the day we would go by a car and turn it into a race car,now we just build a car from scratch for a sertain track.The cars are so damn sensitive that any little thing upsets them just like a women LOL:D And the fact that they all look alike.I liked the days when you could bump and grind and it was no big deal.And restictor plates I wont even go there!:mad:

Vortex
04-30-2006, 08:14 AM

:2thumbs: I agree 100%. Just watch one of those old "Back in the Day" shows and take a look at those Mercurys, Fords, Olds, Chevys whatever that probably at one time were "white cars", cars that came off the line. (Dont tell me about Smokey Yanuck, I know already). I think they lost it when they did two things; 1. Letting front wheel drive cars race as rear wheel drive and 2. letting Ford run a two door Taurus. I think I remember even Dale Earnhart getting a laugh out of that one. Ill watch it today but I sure miss it the old way, maybe back to around the late 1980's. I actually enjoy watching that sort of stock looking Cadillac CTS beat the crap out of those Vipers on road courses more than current NASCAR.

rocknrod
04-30-2006, 08:38 AM
I've stopped caring about NASCAR since it wasn't about stock cars. With the cars being purpose built race cars, and the drivers being bland and boring, all that's left are the crashes. And crashes can only hold your interest for so long. ..
Yep, thats me too!

SideshowBob
04-30-2006, 03:08 PM
The nail in the coffin began with 2 door Tauruses...

I think if you look real close, you'll see that NASCAR cars don't have doors. It's been many, many years since the cars running in NASCAR have had doors.

NASCAR has become the new millenium's professional wrestling, without most of the shouting.

dwasson
04-30-2006, 04:40 PM
NASCAR has become the new millenium's professional wrestling, without most of the shouting.

Even the shouting would add something. Whenever some driver shows a little emotion he is fined by NASCAR and slammed by the TV weenies. Imagine these idiots treating AJ Foyt that way.

It seems like NASCAR has forgotten what broke them as a TV sport. Yarborough and Allison punching each other in the infield put NASCAR on the map. Now it's all like a Quaker run 3rd grade.

T-5 Killer
05-01-2006, 05:58 AM

+1 My feelings exactly!!!!

The Motorola cup and Speedchannel World Challenge needs more TV coverage!!! To bad Speedchannel is pretty much 95% NASCAR these days :mad2: Heck they didnt even show any 24hr's of Le Man's coverage last year instead they showed NASCAR
qualifying:mad2: ......

metroplex
05-01-2006, 09:30 AM
When you can buy a Ford Fusion with a RWD drivetrain, and a 800 hp 357 OHV V8, then I'll begin to care about NASCAR.

SergntMac
05-01-2006, 10:04 AM
When you can buy a Ford Fusion with a RWD drivetrain, and a 800 hp 357 OHV V8, then I'll begin to care about NASCAR.Would a Focus do? That I can get you...

metroplex
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Would a Focus do? That I can get you...

That could work, if the Focus was being used in NASCAR. :)

shannon corkill
05-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Nascar had started to suck in the 70's. Once they outlawed Superbird and Daytonas---it started a steady downward spiral...Richard Petty said it best when he said he had to take his foot off the gas in staight aways in his Superbird and still win. Imagine what it would be like without the restrictions and running a real car body with a cage in it ?

MENINBLK
05-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Racecar backwards = Racecar.

STLR FN
05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Racecar backwards = Racecar.A palindrome

Bluerauder
05-02-2006, 07:17 AM
A palindrome
I never noticed that with "Racecar".

Here's another ..... Madam I'm Adam.

Meteorite
05-02-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm late to this thread, as usual. But, I will weigh in anyhow.

I have followed NASCAR on and off since the late 1960s, when I had to tune in on my parents' or grandparents' radio. Yes, it has changed. But you know what? I still love it. If I'm not busy, I listen to or watch every race.

About 8 years ago, I interviewed for a job with one of the NASCAR teams. When they pitched the job to me at the interview in North Carolina, the crew chief made the statement: NASCAR Cup racing is the premier closed wheel racing series in the world.

He was correct then. And the same statement is correct now. Why is J. J. Yeley in Cup racing now, when he's been doing great in other (more exciting) forms of racing? Because it is the premier series. The biggest money will almost always draw the best drivers. So, if you want to see the best paved oval track drivers, you'll end up watching NASCAR.

Could the series be improved? Definitely. But to me, it is still great racing.