PDA

View Full Version : What is it with Jeep owners?

BillyGman
04-30-2006, 09:41 PM
I cannot believe how many guys driving Jeeps of all things who try and race me while I'm driving my Marauder. Of course they all get beaten badly. For some reason they must have the delusion that Jeeps are fast. I find this to be one strange phenomena in my neck of the woods. Has anyone else encountered this? :confused:

Marauder.45
04-30-2006, 09:45 PM
It was that commercial that had the new cherokee beating an Audi TT.

It is supposed to do high 15s, I guess people who don't race don't really know what fast is.

A buddy ran his cherokee with the 5.7 from a few years ago and full time 4x4. He ran 15.6.

Suckers.

teamrope
04-30-2006, 09:48 PM
In the early 80's I was riding shot gun with a friend in his 69 Camero and a guy next to us tried to race us with his CJ5. It was sporting a SB Chevy. My friend let him get 2 car lenths before he hit the go pedal. It was good night Irene after that. :)

BillyGman
04-30-2006, 09:51 PM
It was that commercial that had the new cherokee beating an Audi TT.

It is supposed to do high 15s, I guess people who don't race don't really know what fast is.

You must be right about that. I mean, there was even one guy, who went as far as to pull up along side me at a traffic light, and load up his torque converter to get ready for me when the light turned green. :baaa: I couldn't believe it. Yes, I gave him a dose of reality when we got the green, since I was practically a whole town away from him by the time I hit second gear. Maybe I shouldn't have even bothered though. These guys must believe everything they see on TV.

BillyGman
04-30-2006, 09:54 PM
In the early 80's I was riding shot gun with a friend in his 69 Camero and a guy next to us tried to race us with his CJ5. It was sporting a SB Chevy. My friend let him get 2 car lenths before he hit the go pedal. It was good night Irene after that. :) Which reminds me of another guy with a CJ who I came across last year. He also tried to race me. This guy had the driver's side headlight dangling from a wire. It was a joke. What are these guys smokin' ??? Talk about rednecks....

Bradley G
05-01-2006, 04:12 AM
Thier is a fellow around these parts, that has a Supercharged/ built CJ.
I saw it several times last year, this thing is stupid fast.
He runs 9.20's(without spray) and he loves a good street race.
He also claims the thing has mid eight second capabilities(with spray):eek:
Way too, "up off the ground " for me!
It is a pastel green color, and the fellow works for Sticker Dudes in Lake Zurich Il.

RoyLPita
05-01-2006, 04:39 AM
Nowadays, one can convert a TJ 6 cyl to a 5.7 Hemi with the 5 speed automatic. Those might be fast especially in the Rubicon form.

Do you think an SRT8 Cherokee would give you a run for your $$$$?????

martyo
05-01-2006, 04:43 AM
I don't know about Jeeps, but I can tell you, don't mess with my Durango, it's got a Hemi! You've been warned.

O's Fan Rich
05-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Most CJ owners have no fear since they usually run around with their doors off anyway.

Besides, they always fall back on " let's go offroad now".

duhtroll
05-01-2006, 06:27 AM
I thought it was just me. Every time I would drive thru the Chi-area tollbooths (haven't done this in a while and I don't have an IPass since I only do this like once per year) it seems some guy in a Cherokee tries to beat me to the bottleneck. Of course, that could just be Chicago drivers that happen to drive Cherokees coincidentally, but it always seems like they are trying to outgun me, even before I had the MM.

I cannot believe how many guys driving Jeeps of all things who try and race me while I'm driving my Marauder. Of course they all get beaten badly. For some reason they must have the delusion that Jeeps are fast. I find this to be one strange phenomena in my neck of the woods. Has anyone else encountered this? :confused:

mpearce
05-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Do you think an SRT8 Cherokee would give you a run for your $$$$?????

Woulnd't give Billy a run, but any high 12 and 13 second Marauders are in trouble. I heard those SRT8 Grand Cherokees are supposed to have high 12 second 1/4 mile times out of the showroom, and awesome 60'fts because of the all time 4wd (but of course, it's all hearsay until one of us sees one run). I have only seen 1 in person, and it was at the Cleveland Auto Show. Heard they're only making 3500 of them for the year...I hope to see one at a drag strip this season, but I highly doubt it.

-Mat

Marauder386
05-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Woulnd't give Billy a run, but any high 12 and 13 second Marauders are in trouble. I heard those SRT8 Grand Cherokees are supposed to have high 12 second 1/4 mile times out of the showroom, and awesome 60'fts because of the all time 4wd (but of course, it's all hearsay until one of us sees one run). I have only seen 1 in person, and it was at the Cleveland Auto Show. Heard they're only making 3500 of them for the year...I hope to see one at a drag strip this season, but I highly doubt it.

-Mat

Now whyindahel wouldja want to go four-wheeling that fast ? Oh, wait aminnit...these urban warriors buy an SUV but dont use it to go mudding...unless the parking lot at Starbucks is all tore up...

:coolman:

Rider90
05-01-2006, 08:01 AM
I thought it was just me. Every time I would drive thru the Chi-area tollbooths (haven't done this in a while and I don't have an IPass since I only do this like once per year) it seems some guy in a Cherokee tries to beat me to the bottleneck. Of course, that could just be Chicago drivers that happen to drive Cherokees coincidentally, but it always seems like they are trying to outgun me, even before I had the MM.
Welcome to Chicago :)

This morning a Honda Cervix tried to beat me at a bottle neck merge. He was sorely disapointed, but that didn't stop him from tailgating.

natedog1284
05-01-2006, 08:22 AM

This morning a Honda Cervix tried to beat me at a bottle neck merge. He was sorely disapointed, but that didn't stop him from tailgating.

Well of course. A good rule of thumb is, if you can't beat someone in a race, the best course of action is to follow real close, maybe flash your lights, and if you lost real bad, flip the winning car off. Surely when the judges see your effort there, they will declare you the true winner....:rolleyes: ah, ricers....

And yes, seems like up here in CT anyone with something 4wd thinks he is baddest ***** to ever tear up the streets. And as was said before, when they inevitably lose a race, they always come back with, "Well, let's go off road, and see how you do," or another favorite is "Well, I'm lifted, so I'll just roll over you." Oh no, please don't. Boy, you sure showed me. You must be a real man.... *sigh*

magindat
05-01-2006, 08:33 AM
My 2 rides...

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/5/4/8/P0004527.JPG

2002 Silverado: stepside, short cab, 5.3, 4x4. Nothing special, just right setup for Florida off-roading. My answer to the jeepsters: "Sure, let's go. I gotta pull strap to get you out!" Can't tell ya how many I've pulled out of holes they never should have looked at, much less driven through!

Those idiots don't realize off-roading is only 50% equipment. The other 50% is knowing how to use it!

Joe Walsh
05-01-2006, 09:35 AM

"ITS A JEEP THING....YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"

:rolleyes:

ckadiddle
05-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Sounds like there might be a lot of Jeep trade ins next year...

magindat
05-01-2006, 10:13 AM
"ITS A JEEP THING....YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"

:rolleyes:

Guess that's why they need these....

http://mesa4x4.com/parts/daves_decals/images/dd-offroad0001.jpg

:whistle:

BillyGman
05-01-2006, 10:22 AM

This morning a Honda Cervix tried to beat me at a bottle neck merge. He was sorely disapointed, but that didn't stop him from tailgating.LOL........."Honda Cervix"....I luv it.....:baaa:

yeah, those ricers just don't get it......you blow them away so badly that it takes them about a quarter mile to catch up to you after you let off the go pedal, and then once you're cruising back down at 70 MPH again and you're back in the right hand lane, they tailgate you as if tailgating is some major accomplishment, or some type of measure of a fast car. :shake:

As far as the Jeeps go, I can fully understand someone challenging people if they had an SRT8 Jeep since that's something unusually fast for a truck. But these guys that I've been encountering for the last couple years have run of the mill Jeeps, and some of those Jeeps are about 15 yrs old, and move like they still have the bone stock engines in them. I guess that's why I even answer their challenges. They're asking for, and in need of a dose of reality (just like the ricers do) and so I give it to them.

BTW Natedog, I'm glad that there's other people in CT that see what I'm talking about with the truck guys around here.

natedog1284
05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
BTW Natedog, I'm glad that there's other people in CT that see what I'm talking about with the truck guys around here.

Yeah Billy, I unfortunately went to school with a lot of them, and currently work with a few more. I don't get it personally, but I'm actually kinda glad. :rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
05-01-2006, 03:21 PM
"ITS A JEEP THING....YOU WOULDN'T
UNDERSTAND":rolleyes:

It's like it reads on the bumper sticker? And your right I don't understand:rolleyes:

BAD MERC
05-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I have never had a Jeep try to spank me BUT, I have a had a Mitsubishi Mirage try to show me up off a red light. When he slammed the throttle and I realized he was serious about the "race" I ended up embarrassing him in about 50 more feet. He didn't try it again. Speaking of Mitsubishi- here's the anagram; Mostly In The Shop Undergoing Big Investments, Sometimes Halfway Imcomplete.