PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a Musician?

Motorhead350
05-01-2006, 01:23 AM
I play guitar, bass, drums and am taking vocal lessions this summer. I dig the styles of 70's punk, Doo Wop, first wave Rock N' Roll, Surf, Rockabilly and Psychobilly. Anyone else play anything?

MarauderMark
05-01-2006, 04:37 AM
I play drums .I have an early set of 1970 slingerlands and set of electric hart drums .used to play with friends when i was younger .hardly play now but will go down and bang tonight just to let em know i'm still here.:D

JMan
05-01-2006, 05:25 AM
Does the attached picture of my (messy) bathroom answer your question?

J

MM03MOK
05-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Jake! You have a Bunny light switch plate?? :lovies2:

JMan
05-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Jake! You have a Bunny light switch plate?? :lovies2:

Oh yes, a house full of bunny stuff and twee wascally wabbits to boot. Must be a Cape Cod thing (Ha, ha, he, he!!!). ;)

J

MM03MOK
05-01-2006, 05:43 AM
Oh yes, a house full of bunny stuff and twee wascally wabbits to boot. Must be a Cape Cod thing (Ha, ha, he, he!!!). ;)

JTwee? We got two!! :D I knew I liked you for a reason!!

Hotrauder
05-01-2006, 05:51 AM
I like for 2 other reasons, one of which is your ability to play the guitar AND the french horn while on the john. :eek: :bows: Dennis

duhtroll
05-01-2006, 06:23 AM
But doing it only on the john gives you crappy music. :)

I'm a professional musician, but in the classical sense.

I like for 2 other reasons, one of which is your ability to play the guitar AND the french horn while on the john. :eek: :bows: Dennis

ckadiddle
05-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Now THAT'S multitasking.... :D

Motorhead350
05-01-2006, 04:42 PM

J
Nice half stack!

jimlam56
05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
But doing it only on the john gives you crappy music. :)

I'm a professional musician, but in the classical sense.

What do you mean by "in the classical sense", if I may ask?
What do you play?
Jim

duhtroll
05-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I play horn with the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Symphony Orchestra here in Iowa. Just finished my 9th season with them. And yes, I'm in the process of modding the horn as well, if not replacing it. You guys think finding the best combos for the MM is difficult? I had to learn some German to speak to some guy about horns. :)

What do you mean by "in the classical sense", if I may ask?
What do you play?
Jim

TripleTransAm
05-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Although I primarily play bass when I play live, I am trying to be as multi-faceted as possible. I play anything from Abba to ZZtop, from Rammstein to Big Band stuff, from 80s hair metal to 70s Disco... I'm a musical ****. (my current mix CD ranges from some new David Gilmour to James Blunt to Megadeth to Madonna's latest)

Here's a shot of me putting my '77 Ric through its paces during a soundcheck in 2004.

http://www.tripletransam.com/music/DSCF4232.jpg

Here's a shot of most of my current stash... missing is a sunburst Les Paul (can't find an online image right now, although I *know* I took a picture of it last month when I busted a string when wailing to some Megadeth). Also missing is a most excellent Godin 6 string solidbody with both humbuckers and solid coil pickups.

http://www.tripletransam.com/music/DSCF8166_2.jpg

edit: finally found the picture of the Les Paul. (you can see part of the Godin in the back in front of the pink-ish Yamaha bass)
http://www.stevepereira.com/photo/music/DSCF5545.jpg

I also have a 1980s Juno keyboard/synth/midi-controller and a more recent Roland A30 midi-controller.

All I need now is to find a set of electronic drums so I can get down to learning my first love: drums.

Silver_04
05-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Piano and guitar.

Motorhead350
05-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Hey TripleTransam, can you play any Primus or old school Green Day? Also are one of those guitars a Silvertone? I had one with the same headstock as one of your guitars.

Cheeseheadbob
05-01-2006, 06:52 PM
:beatnik: People thought I was a prodigy up until 10th grade, then everyone else caught up. I have a Roman Teller cello which is in desparate need of a new sound post, new bridge and strings. My bows need to be re-haired. I remember playing some Hayden trios and winning a bunch of medals in the Wisconsin public school trials. My sons want me to get my cello back in working order so they can try their hand at it. Perhaps this will motivate me to spend some money on something other than my Marauder!!!:beatnik:

Motorhead350
05-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Nothing beats cars and music.... and girls. :rolleyes:

PJR
05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Musician might be a strong word but I have the following:

1997 Gibson Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst + Top
1997 Gibson Les Paul Standard Ebony
2001 Gibson Montana Hummingbird
2004 Fender American Stratocaster (3 Color Burst, Maple Neck)

I'm looking for #5. I'm considering the following:

Fender American Butterscotch Blonde Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard DC
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 or 24.

Anybody know of any good deals??? :)

JMan
05-01-2006, 07:54 PM
TTA - Nice collection! I'm green with axe envy.

Motorhead - Duh! I get the screen name, now! What is "old-school" Green Day. Like, "Bite my lip and close my eyes". Is that what your talking about, or is there older stuff that cranks? Thank you on the Half-Stack. It's a 1978 model #1980 50watt head with a #1980a 50watt cab. Celestions baby!

Hotrauder, Duhtroll - Say what you will, but I play every day! And Duhtroll, I play lots and lots of classical guitar (I rarely use the amplifier.).

I have played the guitar for thirty years and I still play every day as long as I eat right (TMI alert! TMI alert!)! :lol: But as far as drums go, UGH! Even when I had access to a drum kit every day, I still couldn't play! Once again, I'm envious of those with metronomes in their heads!

If you think MM's are expensive, try searching e-bay for early Strat parts - "Yeah, I'm the Strat man"!

J

TripleTransAm
05-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Hey TripleTransam, can you play any Primus or old school Green Day? Also are one of those guitars a Silvertone? I had one with the same headstock as one of your guitars.

In the spring of 1998, I played a set of the then-somewhat-current punk/rock type of stuff (Green Day, Bush, Nirvana, etc.etc). The band chemistry wasn't all that good... didn't last long for us. I've read up on Mike Dirnt now and again, but I haven't played any of their stuff anytime recently.

I bet I know what guitar you're thinking is a Silvertone, but it isn't. It's from the same era, though. This one is a 1967 Teisco Del Rey, my first guitar bought for me by my dad sometime in the early early 90s no doubt as a sign of guilt over not letting me buy a guitar back in high school (in retrospect, he was probably right in doing so). It nearly made me give up trying to learn to play (I taught myself everything so far, based on books and by ear), it's THAT hard to play, but after taking a break on another electric (the fender-copy Fernandes) for a few years, I came back to the Teisco and was finally able to get used to it. Wonderful surf guitar sounds when played 'clean', and with an Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal, it delivers an AWESOME rich distorted power chord. Feedback can be an issue, which is either good or bad depending on the style of music being played and at what loudness. :)

It was bought at a garage sale in pitiful condition, and I restored it both aesthetically and functionally by myself before I even learned how to play. I simply loved the look.

Next on my list of conquests: a 5 string bass (haven't found a decent priced one that gives me a satisfactory sound, although I haven't really been looking too hard) and a Flying V electric guitar (so I can do my best Rudolf Schenker imitation). One of these days...

duhtroll
05-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey, I wasn't hatin . . .

I leave that to the uncultured. And I'm one of those who *does* have a metronome in my head.

And a tuner, for that matter. Found that out as a freshman in college.

-A
whose favorite band is Van Halen and :rolleyes: whenever students ask if I listen to nothing but classical music

Motorhead - Duh! I get the screen name, now! What is "old-school" Green Day. Like, "Bite my lip and close my eyes". Is that what your talking about, or is there older stuff that cranks? Thank you on the Half-Stack. It's a 1978 model #1980 50watt head with a #1980a 50watt cab. Celestions baby!

Hotrauder, Duhtroll - Say what you will, but I play every day! And Duhtroll, I play lots and lots of classical guitar (I rarely use the amplifier.).

I have played the guitar for thirty years and I still play every day as long as I eat right (TMI alert! TMI alert!)! :lol: But as far as drums go, UGH! Even when I had access to a drum kit every day, I still couldn't play! Once again, I'm envious of those with metronomes in their heads!

If you think MM's are expensive, try searching e-bay for early Strat parts - "Yeah, I'm the Strat man"!

J

bagpiper
05-01-2006, 08:02 PM
I have played the Great Highland Bag Pipes for many years,I am a member of one of the oldest pipebands in NorthAmerica.

Motorhead350
05-01-2006, 10:34 PM

J
Yea pretty much. They do have great older stuff too like Paper Lanterns and if you can play "No One Knows" thats a tricky one. They have some great bass riffs. I've been a fan for 7 years now and am not a recent one that can only name singles from their last studio album. Longview is a fun riff to play being that I play bass too. Stewert and The Ave is cool too. Pretty much anything made in the 90's is great. Rancid has a great bass player too, but I only like Lets Go and wasn't a fan of any of the other albums. Ok back to other bands and music.

JMan
05-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Hey, I wasn't hatin . . .

I leave that to the uncultured. And I'm one of those who *does* have a metronome in my head.

And a tuner, for that matter. Found that out as a freshman in college.

-A
whose favorite band is Van Halen and :rolleyes: whenever students ask if I listen to nothing but classical music

No offense taken, bro! Did you do the music major thing in college? That is brutal - you're a better man than I!

A tuner, eh? Okay : Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. What note was that? (Hint: 440hz). :D

J

Teach, VanHalen Rocks! "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"

Cheeseheadbob
05-02-2006, 05:19 AM
That would be an A

A tuner, eh? Okay : Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. What note was that? (Hint: 440hz). :D

J

duhtroll
05-02-2006, 06:01 AM
It would be the tuning pitch for American orchestras. I believe Europe has the A-444 standard. Or did at some point.

-A

Meteorite
05-02-2006, 06:03 AM
I play lead guitar, but am not currently in a band. I like Surf, Rockabilly, & Psychobilly, as well as blues and rock.

Here is my, recording vocals to some kind of Anglican Beach Party music ...

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/000bk4yg.jpg

I play guitar, bass, drums and am taking vocal lessions this summer. I dig the styles of 70's punk, Doo Wop, first wave Rock N' Roll, Surf, Rockabilly and Psychobilly. Anyone else play anything?

Cheeseheadbob
05-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Is that why their orchestras are always a little "sharper"?:D
I believe Europe has the A-444 standard. Or did at some point.

-A

JMan
05-02-2006, 06:52 AM
I play lead guitar, but am not currently in a band. I like Surf, Rockabilly, & Psychobilly,

Psychobilly? That's two of you that have mentioned it. That's a real classification? Can someone educate me, give an example. I'm expecting some weird band with a name like "Bloody Stool" or "Radio Conception" . . .

Count me stoopid!

J

Meteorite
05-02-2006, 08:03 AM
It's like a more edgy version of Rockabilly.

The Meteors (from the UK) are a good example. They've been around for a while:

http://www.kingsofpsychobilly.com/

Psychobilly? That's two of you that have mentioned it. That's a real classification? Can someone educate me, give an example. I'm expecting some weird band with a name like "Bloody Stool" or "Radio Conception" . . .

Count me stoopid!

J

Motorhead350
05-02-2006, 08:25 AM
I could tell you a few things about psychobilly. 1st it's nothing more then rockabilly with punk influence and I'm not talking about what is now passed off as punk on the radio. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: 2nd the style has never been on the airwaves that I know of or at least here in the U.S. The Cramps coined the phrase when they were putting up flyers for a gig in 1976. The Cramps love bands/artists like Elvis, Ricky Neslon, Duane Eddy, ya know all that good 50's stuff. I'm not sure of too many bands like this being that I got into this style only recently, but I love it..... haven't been this hooked on a band/style sense 8th grade. Heres another band that fits into this style.....
http://www.myspace.com/koffinkats the bottom two songs I love and never get sick of them. I get something from The Cramps later. This school computer works as well as a carb in the winter morning.

Paul T. Casey
05-02-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm no musician but I can play "Smoke On the Water" on nearly any instrument. Learned it back in the day, the only day me and my buds thought we could have a band.

Motorhead350
05-02-2006, 03:11 PM
http://www.myspace.com/cramping

Theres your founders of Psychobilly. Check out The Way I Walk and Human Fly.

GreekGod
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Phi Zappa Crappa?

J

GreekGod
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
I bought a nice 100W Traynor keyboard amp I use for practice with my dad's 1921 violin made in Chicago and a nice German cello I bought a year ago. I've been playing (badly) since age 12 when I started out on viola. Never could go anywhere on piano or guitar.

TripleTransAm
05-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm no musician but I can play "Smoke On the Water" on nearly any instrument. Learned it back in the day, the only day me and my buds thought we could have a band.

Take those exact same chords and rearrange them just a *little* bit and you get the riff to "Bad to the Bone".

As much as I appreciate a good lead (and I do indeed appreciate them), I'll always tend to focus on a good-sounding (tone-wise) rhythm guitar. Not the scooped-out "no-mids" sound that 14-year-old Slayer wannabes go for, but a nice full tone solid chord (that stack is a thing of beauty, Jman! Brings a tear to my eye!). For the past few weeks, my best stress reliever has been playing the rhythm parts to a couple of Megadeth songs ("Symphony of Destruction" and my latest favorite "In my Darkest Hour"). Playing through my 200 W bass amp combo can actually give me a stack-like sound (almost...)

Anyway, seems I missed one instrument: while looking for something in my basement, I came across another instrument that I've kept in the basement pending a serious "tune up"... a set of EKO bass pedals. EKO was (is?) an Italian instrument company and one of their products in the 70s was a bass pedal set. I need to go through the entire thing and make sure all the contacts are clean and solid before I ever try playing it live, but last time I fooled around with it (about 3 years ago), it was a pretty cool vintage type of sound.
I found a photo of the same exact model online... mine looks to be in about the same shape externally, actually, I just haven't thought to take photos of it yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/fujishot/firstfrontpedcrop.jpg

Rob1559
05-03-2006, 03:52 PM
I have been waiting to see if anyone else played. I guess I waited to long and now I am at the end.
duhtroll what kind of horn are you looking for? I happen to be in the music industry.

Here is picture of the band I am in.

hdwrench
05-03-2006, 04:01 PM
i wouldnt go as far as to call it playing... but i did win this in a drawing recently.

blackf0rk
05-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Here's a pic of my studio:

http://www.enspiar.com/studio.jpg

SergntMac
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Sidedrummer here. Premier 700 high tension snare. A founding member of the Pipes and Drums of the Chicago Police Department (www.pdcpd.org (http://www.pdcpd.org)) and Grade 3 North American National Champion in 2002, while playing with the Chicago Caledonians. It's been a while, but I still have my chops.

Not much use for my style of drumming among y'all here, but if you get a Marauder.net band together, some traditional Scotish sidedrumming can add a nice acoustic touch. Can play up to 160 beats per minute, just say when?

Rob1559
05-03-2006, 05:28 PM
How about 12/8 in "1"?

Motorhead350
05-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Wow I didn't know so many here actually played. Very cool. :cool:

seabreeze
05-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Played Trombone thru college, hung it up in 1983 except for birthdays and other potential alcoholic endeavours.

However, I must admit I like the shiny color of brass, and Keep my (3) trombones and Trumpet on stands in the living room just to brighten things up around the dark cherry piano!

PS. The young'un gets a kick out of making "pet sounds" on the horns.:P

Motorhead350
05-04-2006, 12:06 AM
i wouldnt go as far as to call it playing... but i did win this in a drawing recently.
Cool is that the Gibson model? Nice shirt by the way Motorhead is a great band!

JMan
05-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Cool is that the Gibson model? Nice shirt by the way Motorhead is a great band!

Looks like a Zach Wilde Les Paul to me . . .

Oh, by the way, that pic in my sig is a plasma VU meter incase anybody was curious!

J

BigCars4Ever
05-04-2006, 04:59 AM
I played guitar in a punk cover band in high school and the first couple of semesters of college. GenX, Clash, Sex Pistols, Etc. Now I like to just play for my daughters. They both know the words to "Beat on the Brat" I'm hoping it keeps them in line. (6 and 9) I find myself playing the radio more than anything though.

duhtroll
05-04-2006, 06:15 AM
I am soon driving all over the midwest looking for horns. In early June I head to Elkhart, IN to the Woodwind/Brasswind to spend an entire day playing horns - they have a large inventory.

Those are the stock models. Yamaha 667VS, 668II, Conn 8D, King Eroica - hopefully playing more than one of each for comparison.

Then I see if I can get my hands on a few of the European models, Schmid, Hoyer, Paxman, Alexander

Then if I haven't found anything significantly better than my current Yamaha 668 I start messing with the custom makers, Lawson, Hill, and some others in the fall when the horn shows start up again.

Basically it's going to come down to one that I play that just "fits" better than the others as they are all outstanding horns. Of course my wallet is hoping it's a stock horn so it saves me a few thousand $. The custom horns go for up to $12K.

In any event, the study should be fun.

I have been waiting to see if anyone else played. I guess I waited to long and now I am at the end.
duhtroll what kind of horn are you looking for? I happen to be in the music industry.

Rider90
05-04-2006, 06:27 AM
I'm not a musician but I can make some funny sounds after one of these:
http://bradandrews.homedns.org/blog/brad/images/Bean-Burrito.gif
I like to think of it as the hidden artist inside of me...quacking to get out...

Motorhead350
05-04-2006, 07:20 AM
I played guitar in a punk cover band in high school and the first couple of semesters of college. GenX, Clash, Sex Pistols, Etc. Now I like to just play for my daughters. They both know the words to "Beat on the Brat" I'm hoping it keeps them in line. (6 and 9) I find myself playing the radio more than anything though.
Nice someone knows what real punk is..... not saying that anyone here doesn't it's just that so much garbage is passed off as punk these days! :mad2: Beat On The Brat is a great song and nice one Rider90 you should hear me after one of those too. I can make a 15" subwoofer sound quiet.

GreekGod
05-04-2006, 08:28 AM
What band is that? Boyscout?

Rob1559
05-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Boy Scouts? No. They have adult leaders.

GreekGod
05-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Is that band the Mt Vernon miltia?

MarauderMark
05-04-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm not a musician but I can make some funny sounds after one of these:
http://bradandrews.homedns.org/blog/brad/images/Bean-Burrito.gif

I was going to say i use to smoke these opps wrong filling:rolleyes: Hey why don't we get together and make a Marauder song.
i got one already.Here it goes::
Here i sit broken hearted waiting for my car to get restarted , it got blown up i gave it to much gas so now i just drive my jacka$$.:D

BigCars4Ever
05-04-2006, 06:08 PM
After my accident in my 03 freinds at work would tease me like this... To the tune of Joe Walsh Life's Been Good... My new Marauder does 135, I hit the guardrail now I can't drive. It got old quick.

Motorhead350
05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I was going to say i use to smoke these opps wrong filling:rolleyes: Hey why don't we get together and make a Marauder song.
i got one already.Here it goes::
Here i sit broken hearted waiting for my car to get restarted , it got blown up i gave it to much gas so now i just drive my jacka$$.:D
Actually I did write a Marauder song called "Blown Marauder." Total old school rock n' roll with punk. I'll probably record it this year and everyone can tell me what they think.