PDA

View Full Version : Now I have Thump

SID210SA
05-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I had my 2-12" Orion Subs and my amp installed last week.....all in the trunk. The sound is great...now I just need to update the rest of the oem speakers. My question is that since the amp is in the trunk and there is no where for fresh air to get back there or for the air heated by the amp to get out, how could I make cooler air get back there to keep the amp cool?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Mike

rvaldez1
05-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Congrats on the setup, I like to know there are bassheads like me still out there. From my experence installing amps in the panther cars, is that you actually dont need any additional ventilation, unless the amp(s) are mounted under something. In the case that you do need ventilation, there are various fans you can install; a turbine style to mount next to the amp, or a fan that you can mount through the rear deck. (which is a pain). Like I said, you shouldnt need any additional cooling. If the amp is overheating, check your ground wire, then make sure your speaker impedance matches the amp.

SID210SA
05-10-2006, 06:22 AM
I had it installed under my passenger seat in my Taurus, but now its in the trunk on the floor of the trunk. It just seems to me that it gets too hot and you can smell it....but its not a burning smell.....maybe because it hasn't seen any action in over a year. I never new how hot it got before because it was under the seat but it seems very hot to the touch now. I have a remote dial to adjust the bass so it wont over work the amp. The amp also has two protect functions on it so I guess if it got to hot it would auto protect and shut itself off.....yeah kinda of weird I still like bass in my 30's but I like to feel the music when I listen to my classic rock.:coolman: :D

Sully008
05-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Ain't nothing wrong with feeling the "thump". Quite a few members here have some "bump in the trunk". I'm in the process of finishing the trunk of my car. It'll be...different. I'll have pics up soon enough. Speaking of pics, where's are they?:poke:

SID210SA
05-10-2006, 07:35 AM
It's a primitive set up so no pics yet, just a simple prefab box.....in the process of getting a custom built box to maybe sit on the hump and move out the oem sub and move the spare to the bottom of the trunk....or just have a box built to fit the trunk well with some sort of Marauder badging in it or embossed in the carpet, or maybe some plexiglass with a neon kit in it....still bouncing around ideas.

rvaldez1
05-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Ok, if ur in a taurus and its still getting hot you can add a fan. Ur best bet is to install the amp and a turbine style fan on the rear seats (whether they fold or not), it will save space and stay out of the way.

SID210SA
05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
In case it got confusing, it was in a Taurus and its now in my Marauder....