PDA

View Full Version : Fuel: Interesting read

Mad4Macs
05-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Amazing! Ever since the goverment established Federally mandated standards for gasoline quality, the quality of gasoline in the US has declined dramatically! Seems that the petroleum industry standards were far higher than the goverment's proposals were, so the refineries simply complied with the new laws established in 1995.
Go figure :rolleyes:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060513/AUTO03/605130301

I'll bookmark this link, so next time someone accuses the current administration of being "Pro Big Oil" and "Anti Environment", I'll re-post it.
:lol:

BruteForce
05-13-2006, 05:12 PM
so the refineries simply complied with the new laws established in 1995.

What stops the refineries from exceeding the federal quality standards (i.e, making "good gas" like before)? Seems to me that Big Oil benefits by the lower standard assuming that lower quality gas is cheaper to produce.

I think your argument is backward. The report shows government ALLOWING oil companies to produce lower quality gas.

GreekGod
05-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Same old story, government intervention screws things up. Premium quality brands contain more detergents and keep internals cleaner. Possibly why past photos posted have shown carbon build-up on pistons, valves, etc?

Hotrauder
05-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Hard to slip one past Brute. He got this right, again. Thanks for the info. Please do be careful and listed to your engine when working agressively with the loud pedal. Dennis:burnout:

Mad4Macs
05-13-2006, 07:27 PM
Hard to slip one past Brute. He got this right, again. Thanks for the info. Please do be careful and listed to your engine when working agressively with the loud pedal. Dennis:burnout:

Nonetheless, I sure did! The point I was making was the date "1995".
Check your history book, then report back with the name of the President sitting in the White House.
Next!

BruteForce
05-13-2006, 08:06 PM
The year 1995 isn't correct for year the law was passed. It was the year it became effective. "Gasoline Deposit Control" was part of the Clean Air Act amendments of 1990 This means it was made into law during... wait for it... George Herbert Walker Bush's tenure (1989–1993). :rolleyes:

From the Chevron (http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/motorgas/6_deposit-control/pg2.asp) site:
"This requirement was established by the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 and became effective in January 1995."

Joe Walsh
05-13-2006, 08:43 PM
How does a gasoline thread devolve into a political argument???

Let's ALL agree that a large portion of the US government and almost all politicians waste money and oxygen....regardless of party affiliation.

Here's a loaded statement to argue:

"I voted for Bush, but I am REALLY tired of that doofus and the war that he got us into....and I am REALLY tired of Kennedys receiving 'get out of jail free' cards!"

BruteForce
05-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Nonetheless, I sure did! The point I was making was the date "1995".
Check your history book, then report back with the name of the President sitting in the White House.
Next!

I guess the deafening silence means you actually verified your "facts" and found out you're wrong? Does that mean you'll still be bookmarking this thread in case it comes up again? :rolleyes:

BruteForce
05-14-2006, 07:12 PM
How does a gasoline thread devolve into a political argument???

Original post was political as well as inflammatory.

...but I am REALLY tired of that doofus and the war that he got us into...

Let me be the first to say what you're going to be hearing a lot over the next few years... "Told you so".

GreekGod
05-14-2006, 09:31 PM
"NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM" ...COMING TO A COUNTRY NEAR YOU TODAY!