PDA

View Full Version : Car & Driver savages the Impala SS

Mike Poore
05-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Never since the review of the Opal Cadette in the early 70's or Brock Yates' reference to the Chevy Chevette as a ***** Box, have I seen a more negative article about any car. This, in it's totality, may be the all time biggest slam of an American car, I've ever seen in a national publication. Starting on page 104 of the June issue of Car & Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11028/road-test-review-2006-chevrolet-impala-ss.html author Tony Quiroga, in the very first paragraph states: "...and the result is a car that feels unfinished and confused as to it's purpose". From there it's all downhill, for instance the Verdict sidebar states: "Chevy builds a car that looks great on paper but fails to satisfy in reality" Even in the Counterpoint section especially, Patti Maki slams the poor thing.
I had checked the local dealer's inventories with the thought of driving an Impala SS, but after reading this review, I think I'll pass on this POS. We talk about GM's demise, and wonder ......well, wonder no more.:down:

MarauderMarc
05-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I havent liked the new Impalas since they came out. Too ugly. FWD??? Thats crap, especially with the Muscle Car era coming back. Its like they signed their own death certificate. So whats up now, bowties?????

jefferson-mo
05-15-2006, 09:03 AM
FWD??? Thats crap,

Muscle Car era coming back.

So whats up now, bowties?????

I think that's why everyone(?) is buying Dodges now

MM2004
05-15-2006, 09:07 AM
I have always liked the Impalas, as long as they were full size and RWD.

"The SS has so much power going to its front tires that when the traction control is engaged, the tires hunt for grip and the steering wheel tugs sharply to the left or right." :puke:

Mike.

Big House
05-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Looks like a rental car. Nothing striking about it at all. C&D finally got one right.

MikesMerc
05-15-2006, 09:24 AM
I'd NEVER make a car buying decision based on the C&D rag. That magazine hasn't been worth the paper it is printed on for years. They've been anti american for years, with or without basis.

That said, I'd suggest you test drive the SS. I've been in Dave's SS and I like it. The article isn't even close to encapsulating what the car is about.

Just FYI.

SergntMac
05-15-2006, 10:16 AM
I drive a "wimpala".

The car is a POS period.

MERCMAN
05-15-2006, 10:29 AM
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0510_chevrolet_impala/

The surprise disappointment in the Impala lineup is the SS, a car seemingly geared toward the NASCAR-watching family man who needs some space and craves the sound of a traditional V-8 but demands little ride or handling refinement. The V-8 is too powerful for the chassis-spirited stabs of the throttle yank at the steering wheel even at highway speeds-and the heavy engine hanging out ahead of the front axle wreaks havoc on the handling dynamics when you attempt to drive the SS quickly. All of this is further exacerbated by the steering's lack of on-center feel, a problem that plagues all Impala models.

jimlam56
05-15-2006, 10:36 AM
"sure did, but if the Impala is far happier when equipped with a 242-hp, 3.9-liter V-6, what’s the point?"

The unkindest cut of all...

dwasson
05-15-2006, 11:03 AM
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedans/0510_chevrolet_impala/

The surprise disappointment in the Impala lineup is the SS, a car seemingly geared toward the NASCAR-watching family man who needs some space and craves the sound of a traditional V-8 but demands little ride or handling refinement. The V-8 is too powerful for the chassis-spirited stabs of the throttle yank at the steering wheel even at highway speeds-and the heavy engine hanging out ahead of the front axle wreaks havoc on the handling dynamics when you attempt to drive the SS quickly. All of this is further exacerbated by the steering's lack of on-center feel, a problem that plagues all Impala models.
That torque steer is just the inherant limitations of Front Wheel Drive showing themselves. You can mask it but you can't beat physics.

StevenJ
05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
It doesn't matter much anyway. With the new Zeta cars comming out in another two to three years or so, there should be a new RWD Impala along with the new Camaro. The current one is a hold over to supply to fans who are still mad that they got rid of the b-bodies. It's a wait and see game and so far, the motor's impressive but the rest of the car, eh. I think they should make a downgraded CTS with the 5.3 and slap on a chevy badge or two. That would make a nice Impala SS. Maybe stretch it a few inches and cut out some of the preimum sound and navigation features.

Bigdogjim
05-15-2006, 12:20 PM
At MVII there was FWD Impala racing and the other Impala guys with rear wheel drive did not talk much to him? All the shows I have been to FWD Impala's are parked next to the (real)Impala's. How would we feel if the made the marauder FWD? C&D got it right this time.

Larry Staunton
05-15-2006, 01:33 PM
According to the latest Automotive News, the ytd sales for the Impala through April is 91m. That's 60m more than the Ford 500 and 24m more than the Taurus. That's nothing to sneeze about. Car & Driver has always been super critical of American cars after all I believe it is French owned.

MikesMerc
05-15-2006, 03:12 PM
How many of the "haters" on this thread have actually taken a ride in, let alone actually driven, an Impala SS? Talk about closed minded people adopting someone elses opinion as their own....sheesh:rolleyes:

I certainly don't love the car. FWD is not for me. But, until you drive one, your opinions are simply uninformed.

Given the bastard treatment the marauder has been subject to for years, I thought you guys would be more open minded.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Never since the review of the Opal Cadette in the early 70's or Brock Yates' reference to the Chevy Chevette as a ***** Box, have I seen a more negative article about any car. This, in it's totality, may be the all time biggest slam of an American car, I've ever seen in a national publication. Starting on page 104 of the June issue of Car & Driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/11028/road-test-review-2006-chevrolet-impala-ss.html author Tony Quiroga, in the very first paragraph states: "...and the result is a car that feels unfinished and confused as to it's purpose". From there it's all downhill, for instance the Verdict sidebar states: "Chevy builds a car that looks great on paper but fails to satisfy in reality" Even in the Counterpoint section especially, Patti Maki slams the poor thing.
I had checked the local dealer's inventories with the thought of driving an Impala SS, but after reading this review, I think I'll pass on this POS. We talk about GM's demise, and wonder ......well, wonder no more.:down:

Well Mike, you meen since all of the negative press and reviews on the 2003 Mercury Marauder? You seem to forget where the Marauder came from! We all pretty much thought that they were all wrong, and they were, the Marauder is a great car, but not if you read those reviews. The Impala SS is a great car, and rivals the very Marauder itself in comfort and power. The New Impala SS is nothing like the 2005 model year, in fact I read an article that states they made over 1600 changes. Its funny that such a smart guy like yourself would believe any automotive review in print over an actual test drive. I expect as much from you, i think you slapped the POS label on the wrong car?

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 03:39 PM
I havent liked the new Impalas since they came out. Too ugly. FWD??? Thats crap, especially with the Muscle Car era coming back. Its like they signed their own death certificate. So whats up now, bowties?????

Just so you know, the Impala is slated to come out as a RWD in the next year or two. They wanted it RWD for the 06 model year but with all the other changes they made, it didnt get done.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 03:42 PM
I have always liked the Impalas, as long as they were full size and RWD.

"The SS has so much power going to its front tires that when the traction control is engaged, the tires hunt for grip and the steering wheel tugs sharply to the left or right." :puke:

Mike.

Looks like a rental car. Nothing striking about it at all. C&D finally got one right.

Well, the Impala SS has just about the same amount of room inside as the Marauder, and yes, it has a LOT of power, you just have to know how to drive it. C&D couldnt get one right to save their lives!

blackf0rk
05-15-2006, 03:45 PM
All the new 06 guys that come to my W-Body Impala forums seem to like the 06 very much. The one thing that I am seeing a problem being is the gas mileage complaints. Anywhere from 11 to 15 :(

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I drive a "wimpala".

The car is a POS period.

Another snappy comeback...what year is your Wimpala... I think Mike Poore started out with dissing on the Impala SS. Is that what you drive? Is that an official CPD fleet car? Is it a former scout car? You cant even make your insults match the car in question.

Agent M79
05-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I recently spent some time in a 2006 Impala LTZ (not SS).

I was surprised. Tight. Rattle free. Very responsive (6 cyl, I think). Good features. My wife drove it too and liked it very much.

For what it is, it seemed to do the job well.

Would I buy one if I were in the market for such a thing? I dunno. I would need to compare it to its competition. I can tell you that just walking into it with neutral to mildly negative expectations I walked away from it on the positive side.

If GM/Chevy can get those rear tires under power in the next year or 2 I think things'll get more interesting.

StevenJ
05-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Actually you aren't correct. Both car and driver and edmunds greatly liked the Marauder. Yes they had minor nit picks, particularly car and driver about the seats, but overall they said the car is a very compotetant well handling sedan that needs more power off the line. Which was very true of stock Marauders. You can check edmunds and car and driver's website if you want. Their reviews are archived.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 03:57 PM
I think Mike Z got it right. How can you diss something you havent even driven? The SS is a nice car, I think they did a good job upgrading the interior, it has just as much interior room as the Marauder. It is very comfortable, and with its standard features it eclipses the Marauder by a mile. The Dispacement on demand is flawless and just that feature alone saves me a bunch at the pump. As for power, that 5.7 V8 rocks, Ford should learn a thing or two. its funny, the only thing that Ford has to compare to the SS is a Crown Vic Sport, come on! With this SS I have smoked some of those cars that you compare it to.
Thus far the Bone Stock Impala SS has beaten:
Marauder w/tune and 4:10s
Crown Vic
Charger RT
Magnum RT
Crossfire
2005 Mustang GT
2006 Mustang GT
Lexus Sedan (not sure what model)
300C
Pontiac G6 Coupe

Those are the memorable ones. Yes, the car has a lot of Torque Steer, you just have to know how to drive it. Face it folks, you may see yourself driving an Impala SS in a couple of years when its rear wheel drive and there is nothing to scratch that RWD V8 itch. It will never replace the Marauder in my heart, but for a nice snappy family car with BALLLZ, its a close second.

Breadfan
05-15-2006, 04:00 PM
All the new 06 guys that come to my W-Body Impala forums seem to like the 06 very much. The one thing that I am seeing a problem being is the gas mileage complaints. Anywhere from 11 to 15 :(

Wow that sucks. GM advertises 30mph highway on the commercial for the SS, they don't seem to mention around town mileage. :)

I had an '01 Grand Am GT before my Marauder, didn't quite have the power, it was maybe just a tick slower than a stock Marauder, different powerband with the 3.4V6.

But it was a very solid feeling car. Tight, and solid feeling. No rattles at 100k miles. I had to give GM credit for that. One reason I bought it was the weight of the doors, the car is made of metal which in my price range at the time not much was.

MM2004
05-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Well, the Impala SS has just about the same amount of room inside as the Marauder, and yes, it has a LOT of power, you just have to know how to drive it. C&D couldnt get one right to save their lives!

"I think they did a good job upgrading the interior, it has just as much interior room as the Marauder."

Ok, Now I am confused. And too lazy to search.

Does the SS have nearly the room of a Marauder or just as much?

Regardless of your driving abilities, torque steer is torque steer. Just because it is faster, and lighter than a MM, doesn't mean it is a better car.

The Panther platform will always rule over most automobiles on the road for being dependable and extremely safe.

The police officers in Bardstown drive Impalas, and before you ask, no they weren't SS Impalas. Either way, all of the LEO's said the same thing.. Give us back the Panther platform.

Give us a Marauder! :burnout:

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 04:23 PM

Thats strange. With the DOD, doing 75 on the freeway in 8 cyl mode its getting 13 or so MPG, but as soon as you level off or hit cruise, it slips into 4 cyl mode and the MPG soar up to 36-39 MPG. Even with me beating on it, its getting 26 or 27 MPG city driving. When my wife drives, it averages almost 33 MPG in the city.

Joe Walsh
05-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Car & Lier SUCKS!!!

The last 10 years or so they have had their collective heads shoved SO FAR UP Honda and BMW's A$$ES that they can't even see an American car!

I am really tired of their obvious bias, they are like the 'Dan Rather' of car magazines.

Vortex
05-15-2006, 04:25 PM
My work car is an 05 Impala police version and it is ok for putting around town but Ill tell you it is torture on any trips over 150 miles or so. No way to straighten out your left leg, torque steer and your butt feels like it is two inches off the highway. No thanks.

MERCMAN
05-15-2006, 04:28 PM
interior room- Impala SS

Length: 200.4
Width: 72.9
Height: 58.7
Wheelbase: 110.5
Legroom (front): 42.3
Legroom (rear): 37.6
Headroom (front): 39.4
Headroom (rear): 37.8
Maximum Seating Capacity: 5
Cargo Volume: 18.6 cu. Ft
Maximum Cargo Volume (rear seats down): N/A

Interior room 2004 MM

Wheelbase 114.7"
Overall Length 212.0"
Vehicle Height 56.8"
Vehicle Width 78.2"
Cargo Capacity 21 ft.
Front Headroom 39.3"
Front Legroom 42.0"
Rear Legroom 38.4"
Seating Capacity 5
Towing Capacity 680

Bigdogjim
05-15-2006, 04:36 PM
I think Mike Z got it right. How can you diss something you havent even driven?

OK? You know for a fact that anyone who has posted has driven one? Well me let me tell you something buddy I HAVE and my neck still hurts:mad2:

How can anyone in their right mind say it has as much room as a marauder?

Bowties are for little boys!

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 04:36 PM
"I think they did a good job upgrading the interior, it has just as much interior room as the Marauder."

Ok, Now I am confused. And too lazy to search.

Does the SS have nearly the room of a Marauder or just as much?
Regardless of your driving abilities, torque steer is torque steer. Just because it is faster, and lighter than a MM, doesn't mean it is a better car.

The Panther platform will always rule over most automobiles on the road for being dependable and extremely safe.

The police officers in Bardstown drive Impalas, and before you ask, no they weren't SS Impalas. Either way, all of the LEO's said the same thing.. Give us back the Panther platform.

Give us a Marauder! :burnout:

It doesnt look like it from the outside, but the SS interior must be close or the same size. With an infant car seat and a child booster seat, there is still room for a bag of toys or junk from shopping, about the same with the Marauder. Leg room and head room for the driver appears to be close as well. I initially thought the new Impala format looked smaller, but it isnt. The folding rear seat backs are really nice in the Impala, because now they fold totally flat with the trunk floor level, which is a nice feature. The new 06 models are much better than the old body style. We also had an 03 Impala with the 3.8L, and I wasnt to keen on it. However when she asked me what I thought of the new one, I went with her and test drove the SS, the difference was staggering and I was sold on it for the family car. I love the panther platform, but just wont pay what they wanted for the Crown Vic Sport. The SS runs well, the 5.7 kicks azz, was prices right. the only negative is the torque steer, no question about it. Once you learn to handle that, its not that bad. I will tell you, the torque steer in our old 2003 Impala with the 3.8 was WORSE than it is on this new 06 with the 5.7, they must have done something to attempt to correct it.
I'm not saying the SS is for everyone, people have preferences. For me, it was perfect for us, but the negative reviews are way off. If the car was a POS, I wouldnt have leased it for my family.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 04:40 PM
OK? you know for a fact that no one who has posted has driven one? Well me let me tell you something buddy I HAVE and my neck still hurts:mad2:

Jim, I have as much headroom in one as the other. I wont even address the fact that you are much taller, so I cant speak from that perspective. And I wont stoop to your level of insults and one liner zings, have a good one "buddy".

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 04:45 PM
My work car is an 05 Impala police version and it is ok for putting around town but Ill tell you it is torture on any trips over 150 miles or so. No way to straighten out your left leg, torque steer and your butt feels like it is two inches off the highway. No thanks.

I thought the same thing with the 03, which is the same as the 05. The 06 was redesigned and has more room that the previous model. One long trip so far in the 06, much more comfortable than the old one and 36 mpg on the highway. I am just trying to point out that the new car is not the same overall as the old one.

BAD MERC
05-15-2006, 04:54 PM
The last GM car I owned was a 1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Supercharged (in 1994). I was fond of the features and options but Pontiac has a thing for 'a thousand grey buttons all over the place'. Every time that car broke down, I felt like I was on Candid Camera. I have watched GM slowly quit building cars and make "appliances on wheels". The only exception is the Corvette. Did you know that is practically impossible to replace the radio on a current GM vehicle? The radios are data bus and a lot of vehicular controls are done through the radio. Keyless Entry, OnStar, key-in chimes, oil-change reminders, Mile/KM conversions, Bose (blows!) audio systems, etc.. are all controlled by MOST current GM radios. Uh... why? And yes, The new Impala SS hocks a loogie in the face of muscle cars and insults them. It will take an ass-whoopin' for that. High-horsepower needs to originate at the rear wheels! Sorry for making the GM guys mad. By the way, at the current rate of Hummer, there will be a "Hummer H9" based on the Geo Metro platform.

Joe Walsh
05-15-2006, 04:58 PM
By the way, at the current rate of Hummer, there will be a "Hummer H9" based on the Geo Metro platform.

LOL!

I think that the new H3 looks like a Jeep after Godzilla stepped on its' roof!....:puke:
I look at people as they drive by in H3s and laugh at them.

Sorry for the Hijack!

hitchhiker
05-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Car & Lier SUCKS!!!

The last 10 years or so they have had their collective heads shoved SO FAR UP Honda and BMW's A$$ES that they can't even see an American car!

I am really tired of their obvious bias, they are like the 'Dan Rather' of car magazines.

What do you expect from a froggie owned (French) magazine?

:D

MERCMAN
05-15-2006, 05:02 PM
By the way, at the current rate of Hummer, there will be a "Hummer H9" based on the Geo Metro platform.

But it WILL have a V-8 set sideways in it :rofl:

MM2004
05-15-2006, 05:04 PM

And plenty of torque steer to keep it interesting. :baaa:

Joe Walsh
05-15-2006, 05:15 PM
What do you expect from a froggie owned (French) magazine?

Seriuosly?

Are they owned by a French Company??

When did the sale occur?.... It might explain why they have become such a *****ty car magazine.

blackf0rk
05-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Thats strange. With the DOD, doing 75 on the freeway in 8 cyl mode its getting 13 or so MPG, but as soon as you level off or hit cruise, it slips into 4 cyl mode and the MPG soar up to 36-39 MPG. Even with me beating on it, its getting 26 or 27 MPG city driving. When my wife drives, it averages almost 33 MPG in the city.
Yes. This is what I would've expected out of a DOD engine. In fact, when one of my members made the post about his bad gas mileage I told him that there must be something wrong. A few other members chimed in and added to the horror of the bad gas mileage but who knows - maybe they were all lead foots off the line. :dunno:

Anyways, check out naioa.com - we'd like to have another 06 guy contribute :burnout:

hitchhiker
05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Seriuosly?

When did the sale occur?.... It might explain why they have become such a *****ty car magazine.

I believe that fact came from this site some time ago.

Regards,

Dave

MarauderMark
05-15-2006, 05:57 PM
I have seen an SS the other day and man the purple paint looked really cool and i would take a test drive to check it out .
i am not to fond of fwd for me maybe for my wife would be ok but not me.also these SS' i thought i read somewhere here that they do low 14's , not to shabby:D

Bigdogjim
05-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Seriuosly?

OK! So do you guys really thing the owners in France call over to Hogback Road in Ann Arbor,Mi. (C&D HQ) and say OK guys go trash another American car next month? Wake up!!!! The people writing these review are car guys that live and work in OUR country! Truth hurts.

Bigdogjim
05-15-2006, 06:03 PM
And I wont stoop to your level of insults and one liner zings, have a good one "buddy".

What you really mean is you will come up to my level:P

Mike Poore
05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Well Mike, you meen since all of the negative press and reviews on the 2003 Mercury Marauder? You seem to forget where the Marauder came from! We all pretty much thought that they were all wrong, and they were, the Marauder is a great car, but not if you read those reviews. The Impala SS is a great car, and rivals the very Marauder itself in comfort and power. The New Impala SS is nothing like the 2005 model year, in fact I read an article that states they made over 1600 changes. Its funny that such a smart guy like yourself would believe any automotive review in print over an actual test drive. I expect as much from you, i think you slapped the POS label on the wrong POS.

Well Dave, this isn't about the Marauder, it's about the 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS. And it's not about me or you, it's about the article published in a highly respected national publication, printed in the USA with a readership of over 10.8 million.

I reported on an article found in that publication and thought it worthy of sharing, nothing more. I do, however thank you for acknowledging my mental acuity, but do, however take exception to your expectations of me, as you needn't bother.

About a test drive? As stated previously; I had considered doing just that, until reading the scathing report on what many would conclude is arguably the worst car being manufactured in the United States; and, as stated previously, I will take a pass.

BTW, there is another quote that caught my eye

"Reality: The Impala leaned over enough to be included in Who's Who in Body Roll." Also, "The Jell-O-like suspension keeps the body moving, and speed only exacerbates the problem".

Want to hear more? OK, ..."the 154-mph top speed? Driving the SS at that speed is scary enough to be a stunt on NBC's Fear Factor".

These and many other shortcomings as stated in the article do not seem the positive attributes of a vehicle some of you seem so willing to defend.

As for those who cry foul, and that Car & Driver is a bad publication, I take it you have not availed yourselves of the provided link, and read the article.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 06:12 PM

Wow, from these numbers Mercman posted it looks like the SS has a tad bit more room for the driver...

06 Impala SS:........................... ...........04 Marauder:
Front Legroom: 42.3.......................... ...Front Legroom: 42.0
Front Headroom: 39.4.......................... .Front Headroom: 39.3

It would appear that the Impala SS has more room, Truth hurts eh?

interior room- Impala SS

Length: 200.4
Width: 72.9
Height: 58.7
Wheelbase: 110.5
Legroom (front): 42.3
Legroom (rear): 37.6
Headroom (front): 39.4
Headroom (rear): 37.8
Maximum Seating Capacity: 5
Cargo Volume: 18.6 cu. Ft
Maximum Cargo Volume (rear seats down): N/A

Interior room 2004 MM

Wheelbase 114.7"
Overall Length 212.0"
Vehicle Height 56.8"
Vehicle Width 78.2"
Cargo Capacity 21 ft.
Front Headroom 39.3"
Front Legroom 42.0"
Rear Legroom 38.4"
Seating Capacity 5
Towing Capacity 680

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Mike P,
I read the article, I just cant see how they wrote that about the same car we are talking about here. It is light years ahead of the older 05 version in so many ways. It seems that they didnt test the same car! It has nothing to do with you, rather the crappy review that that crappy magazine gave it. Its all about the source of the article. I would never believe anything they had to say. If i have any question about a possible new car, I will ask those that are driving them and repairing them. Thats what I did, no one I spoke to had a single negative thing to say about the SS except for the torque steer. Based on that I took it for a test drive and thought it was a nice car. And I would never mislead anyone on this forum with mis information or lies about a review of a mod or in this case, a car review. I have had this car up to a decent speed and it feels fine. So when I read the review, and give my personal review, and you choose a magazines review, you speak speak to me being dishonest about what I said, thus making it personal. I am telling you right now, I wouldnt have my family in a car if I didnt think it was a good car, let alone the worst car in America.

Joe Walsh
05-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I've subscribed to CAR & LIER for over 30 years, but I have grown tired of the magazine.
It was a GREAT read when PJ O'Rourke wrote for them....
now I just skim through it and try to avoid reading the 'comparos' where the BMW comes in dead last in all the performance tests, yet still manages a win or a close second in the final evaluation.

All the BMW owners that I bury with my big, antiquated American sedan don't have time to tell me that they have a taut, teutonic sedan according to CAR & LIER.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 06:28 PM
You know something, I think I am done with debating on this topic. There is absolutely nothing I can say that wont be criticized and torn apart by the powers that be. It is apparent that the Dave Haters enjoy making this personal and smacking around a choice I made is a fun way to spend a night, so Mike, Mike, Mac, Jim, you are all right. The Impala SS is a piece of shlt, it is the worst car I have ever owned, the Marauder is the only car anyone should ever aspire to own, I will sell the Impala tomorrow and purchase a vehicle that C&D approves of and therefore do a better job providing a save vehicle for my family. Thanks for setting me straight guys.

MikesMerc
05-15-2006, 06:34 PM
As for those who cry foul, and that Car & Driver is a bad publication, I take it you have not availed yourselves of the provided link, and read the article.

Sure I did. Then I immediately laughed it off as yet another worthless biased review that inherently dislikes American product.

C&D has been trash for years. Same goes for R&T. Most hardcore enthusiasts cancelled their subscriptions years ago like I did when they started up on the whole "euro" thing. The only rag worth reading now is Automobile.

The problem with these rags is that they do not review a car without bias and simply list the pros and cons. Nope. Instead they try to tell the reader what they should want out of an automobile. Its simply elitist garbage.

The very fact that they talk about the impala ss having "too much power" is hilarious. They think that's a problem. That tells me they don't understand the car or the folks that would want to buy it.

But, that's fine too. Because they aren't writing their articles for me...I cancelled 8 years ago. They won't get another dime from me just to tell me what I should want in a car. They are writing for the weak minded, super car drooling, euro elitist wanna-be folks that pay good money to be told what they should want.

These are quotes from the CD marauder article (that someone above said they liked the marauder):

Very compassionate of them, although hot-rodding a Grand Marquis is a little like making bourbon out of Geritol.

The front buckets are unique to the Marauder. Perhaps they shouldn't be. Their cushions are low and squishy, encouraging your feet to splay in an unnatural toes-out formation. What's more, the standard "Nudo" leather is slippery, such that your keister makes regular migrations toward the pedals.

It is, in character, more "disciplined sedan" than "delinquent hot rod," however. As such, it would do well to lose the look-at-me wheels.

In a car like this, if I can't scare myself silly, then it doesn't have enough power. The paucity of low-end grunt is particularly disappointing.
(I wonder if this is the guy that thought the ss had too much power).

So why doesn't this thing make me want to get out there and maraud? Could it be because I could obtain a BMW 330i, a far better device for motorized marauding, for about the same money.
(lol...euro elitism at its best).

Yep, they nailed the Marauder alright. Dead nuts on.

Marauder2005
05-15-2006, 06:37 PM

Remember what Car & Driver said about the "gutless" Marauder?

We all still love it for all the right reasons. Go and test drive the car

then determine if its a POS.

MikesMerc
05-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Remember what Car & Driver said about the "gutless" Marauder?

We all still love it for all the right reasons. Go and test drive the car

then determine if its a POS.

BINGO!

It amazes me that folks dis the crappy C&D rag when it says something they don't like, but do not hesitate to say "Right On!" when it says something they want to hear.

Master
05-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I think sometimes we let these things get a little too personal. Such comments can be somewhat fractious (so if you want to pick on someone, pick on me about my spelling!). I absolutely agree with people when they say that the mags are written in most cases for the weak minded. However, if any of us wants to go out and drive a car for ourselves, and if we then decide that we agree or disagree with the rags, we've at least made our own decision for our own reasons. I love slamming corporations when I think that they have an agenda, but i wouldn't want to let that overflow to my buddies here on the site. We should all be respected for our opinions, and given support when we make decisions that ultimately affect ourselves alone.
However, all that said, I should admit that I'm a relative newcomer here, so you guys may know best how far you can push one another. Could be all of this is just fun and games. If so, please forgive my outspoken and misguided comments. Again, its just my opinion, right?
All the best, y'all.

- David

Joe Walsh
05-15-2006, 06:50 PM
"Even with a forest of valves, Ford's modular V8 lacks the low-end grunt..."

Yet the BMW's DOHC V6 is a silky smooth demon of horsepower and torque. Another marvel of German engineering!
The 330s engine is the best available, followed closely by Honda's purring V6!.....:puke:

Like I said: "CAR & LIER SUCKS!"

BTW: They gave the Citation X-11 glowing reviews 25 years ago.:D

Bigdogjim
05-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Wow, from these numbers Mercman posted it looks like the SS has a tad bit more room for the driver...

06 Impala SS:........................... ...........04 Marauder:
Front Legroom: 42.3.......................... ...Front Legroom: 42.0
Front Headroom: 39.4.......................... .Front Headroom: 39.3

It would appear that the Impala SS has more room, Truth hurts eh?

Geeeee Dave a whole 1/10 of an inch in headroom, 3/10 in legroom....

Tab bit more???? But I guess a miss is as good a mile here?:baaa:

Mike Poore
05-15-2006, 07:25 PM
You know something, I think I am done with debating on this topic. There is absolutely nothing I can say that wont be criticized and torn apart by the powers that be. It is apparent that the Dave Haters enjoy making this personal and smacking around a choice I made is a fun way to spend a night, so Mike, Mike, Mac, Jim, you are all right. The Impala SS is a piece of shlt, it is the worst car I have ever owned, the Marauder is the only car anyone should ever aspire to own, I will sell the Impala tomorrow and purchase a vehicle that C&D approves of and therefore do a better job providing a save vehicle for my family. Thanks for setting me straight guys.

:laugh:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

merc6
05-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Yeah never liked the 00-05 wimpalas. we have them for work vehicles and the spend most the time on the lifts getting new engines and transmitions. The new ones look so much like a refresh their true idenity(lumina)

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 08:13 PM
:laugh:
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I am far from paranoid. You read an article and decided to believe it, and change your opinion from test driving it to declaring it the worst US car being made based on this single scathing article. A stong minded person would have found out for themselves, not leave it to a strangers biased opinion in a clearly anti american rag magazine. I know I am teaching my kids the right way when I tell them to find out for themselves and form their own opinions rather than blindly believe or follow someone else.

I had checked the local dealer's inventories with the thought of driving an Impala SS, but after reading this review, I think I'll pass on this POS.

About a test drive? As stated previously; I had considered doing just that, until reading the scathing report on what many would conclude is arguably the worst car being manufactured in the United States; and, as stated previously, I will take a pass.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 08:22 PM

Well bigdog, you make a statement, and are wrong, heaven forbid you just say, "wow, I guess they are about the same size inside?" You made the statement about who in their right mind would say that the SS had as much room as a Marauder. I stated the facts as I see them, I even responded saying so, that both appeared to have the same amount of headroom. Then the numbers get posted and of course you are in denial, again. Your intent obviously was to slam the SS as being no where close to having the same interior room as your Marauder. So a fraction of an inch isnt important, what is important is they are just about equal, period.

Jim, I have as much headroom in one as the other. I wont even address the fact that you are much taller, so I cant speak from that perspective. And I wont stoop to your level of insults and one liner zings, have a good one "buddy".

ADE 1000
05-15-2006, 08:36 PM
The SS runs well, the 5.7 kicks azz, was prices right. the only negative is the torque steer, no question about it. Once you learn to handle that, its not that bad. I will tell you, the torque steer in our old 2003 Impala with the 3.8 was WORSE than it is on this new 06 with the 5.7,

I think you mean 5.3L.

I have driven the new SS, and although I hate FWD, it is a decent package for the money. It is a lot better car than a Vic Sport, for the same price. Although I prefer the Grand Prix GXP, the wider front wheels and different suspension result in less torque steer than the SS.

A bunch of Ford guys criticizing GM products is laughable. Aside from the Mustang and the trucks, the entire Ford lineup is very weak these days. After daily driving Fords since the day I got my license, I can't think of one Ford vehicle that would make my list the next time around. At least GM offers the Impala SS, GXP, CTS-V, Trailblazer SS, etc.

1stMerc
05-15-2006, 08:41 PM
How would we feel if the made the marauder FWD?

Bite your tongue, for even mentioning such a thing.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I think you mean 5.3L.

I have driven the new SS, and although I hate FWD, it is a decent package for the money. It is a lot better car than a Vic Sport, for the same price. Although I prefer the Grand Prix GXP, the wider front wheels and different suspension result in less torque steer than the SS.

A bunch of Ford guys criticizing GM products is laughable. Aside from the Mustang and the trucks, the entire Ford lineup is very weak these days. After daily driving Fords since the day I got my license, I can't think of one Ford vehicle that would make my list the next time around. At least GM offers the Impala SS, GXP, CTS-V, Trailblazer SS, etc.

Thanks for catching that, yes, its 5.3 L. I love the fords, but what do you pic now? The Vic Sport? Ford Five Hundred? Gotta be green. That review in C&D was way off...torque steer is an issue, but only off the line, on a roll the SS is wicked fast.

Donny Carlson
05-15-2006, 08:58 PM
When the RWD Impala SS hits the streets. From what I've read, it's gonna be pure muscle car, with the LS2 6.0 L standard. Bob Lutz has already said its greenlighted too. Can't wait to see the protoype.

MI2QWK4U
05-15-2006, 09:05 PM
When the RWD Impala SS hits the streets. From what I've read, it's gonna be pure muscle car, with the LS2 6.0 L standard. Bob Lutz has already said its greenlighted too. Can't wait to see the protoype.

God...I hope Car and Driver likes it!! There will definitely be one of those in my stable when they come out...

Shora
05-15-2006, 09:19 PM
MI2QWK4U

First, you should never get mad or upset at the opinions being expressed here. Even friends disagree and it makes this site better.

I, for one, think that you are very lucky to own all of the fine cars that you do. Many of us here, like myself for example, can hardly afford one or two cars let alone all of the many great cars that you own. Be happy that you can even go to the dealer and buy a car that "you" want, enjoy, and think is a good deal.

With that said, I want to say that the newest Impala actually shames its name. I see nothing wrong with the car and in fact I like it. Has more appeal for a man then an Accord/ Camary. However, I do not think that it deserves the name "Impala". Had they given the car another name many people would not have a problem with the car.

Call it by its name. The new Accords are Accords. The new Impala is a... Malibu? If they at least made it rear wheel drive I think that it would get high remarks.

Just try to picture a front wheel drive Mustang. Yes, as stupid as that sounds so does a front wheel drive Impala. An Impala that ,to be honest, (93-96) has had great influance on the Marauder. They both had the same basic elements to them. Big, Bold, and Bada$$!!

Oh yeah, they were both initially only offered in black.

Bradley G
05-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the Belly laugh, ... Dave !!!:lol:

Motorhead350
05-15-2006, 09:33 PM
I still like the style of the 94-96 models, but you gotta admit the new SS is a sleeper.

bigslim
05-15-2006, 09:46 PM
I drive a "wimpala".

The car is a POS period.
I have driven Dave's Impala and I can say for a fact that it will whip the crap out of your #3 car. It really is a nice car. I was quite impressed after I drove it. Take off the traction control and it will smoke the tires for 200ft. Until you drive a 06' SS don't knock it.

bigslim
05-15-2006, 09:48 PM
As Dave has stated the MM did not get good reviews. I remember reading how a V6 Accord would whip a MM. The MM was a dated platform that was actually in need of more power. It did not run a 14.1 quarter mile like the new Impala does.

bigslim
05-15-2006, 09:52 PM
OK? You know for a fact that anyone who has posted has driven one? Well me let me tell you something buddy I HAVE and my neck still hurts:mad2:

Because your buddy Mercman posted the specs and it shows that they are very close in comparision.

Bradley G
05-15-2006, 09:52 PM
I did not notice the torque steer, while dyno'ing an 2005 SS Impala.:D
It made good power 240's I believe.
The inside was very nice, thick steering wheel, supportive seats.
Sounded great!
The guy that brought it, claimed he loved it!
I was impressed by the car, I don't particularily like most Chebbies!:P
I do like the 4-5-6 SS Big Dogs!

bigslim
05-15-2006, 09:55 PM
The last GM car I owned was a 1991 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Supercharged (in 1994). I was fond of the features and options but Pontiac has a thing for 'a thousand grey buttons all over the place'. Every time that car broke down, I felt like I was on Candid Camera. I have watched GM slowly quit building cars and make "appliances on wheels". The only exception is the Corvette. Did you know that is practically impossible to replace the radio on a current GM vehicle? The radios are data bus and a lot of vehicular controls are done through the radio. Keyless Entry, OnStar, key-in chimes, oil-change reminders, Mile/KM conversions, Bose (blows!) audio systems, etc.. are all controlled by MOST current GM radios. Uh... why? And yes, The new Impala SS hocks a loogie in the face of muscle cars and insults them. It will take an ass-whoopin' for that. High-horsepower needs to originate at the rear wheels! Sorry for making the GM guys mad. By the way, at the current rate of Hummer, there will be a "Hummer H9" based on the Geo Metro platform.
You say that GM makes appliances on wheels. What do you call the ancient Panther platform? What about the 500/ Montego twins? You don't think they look like a washer and dryer?

bigslim
05-15-2006, 09:56 PM
Has your MM run a 14.1? Dave's Impala will. And yes, it has a sideways V8 bigger than your V8 (5.3 vs 4.6).

bigslim
05-15-2006, 09:58 PM
OK! So do you guys really thing the owners in France call over to Hogback Road in Ann Arbor,Mi. (C&D HQ) and say OK guys go trash another American car next month? Wake up!!!! The people writing these review are car guys that live and work in OUR country! Truth hurts.
Believe what you will. Yes they do trash our companies.

bigslim
05-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Well Dave, this isn't about the Marauder, it's about the 2006 Chevrolet Impala SS. And it's not about me or you, it's about the article published in a highly respected national publication, printed in the USA with a readership of over 10.8 million.

I reported on an article found in that publication and thought it worthy of sharing, nothing more. I do, however thank you for acknowledging my mental acuity, but do, however take exception to your expectations of me, as you needn't bother.

BTW, there is another quote that caught my eye

"Reality: The Impala leaned over enough to be included in Who's Who in Body Roll." Also, "The Jell-O-like suspension keeps the body moving, and speed only exacerbates the problem".

Want to hear more? OK, ..."the 154-mph top speed? Driving the SS at that speed is scary enough to be a stunt on NBC's Fear Factor".

These and many other shortcomings as stated in the article do not seem the positive attributes of a vehicle some of you seem so willing to defend.

Highly repected magazine? I don't think so. Real car enthusiast take Car and Driver with a grain of salt. I see you liked your MM so much that you got rid of it.

bigslim
05-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Mike P,
I read the article, I just cant see how they wrote that about the same car we are talking about here. It is light years ahead of the older 05 version in so many ways. It seems that they didnt test the same car! It has nothing to do with you, rather the crappy review that that crappy magazine gave it. Its all about the source of the article. I would never believe anything they had to say. If i have any question about a possible new car, I will ask those that are driving them and repairing them. Thats what I did, no one I spoke to had a single negative thing to say about the SS except for the torque steer. Based on that I took it for a test drive and thought it was a nice car. And I would never mislead anyone on this forum with mis information or lies about a review of a mod or in this case, a car review. I have had this car up to a decent speed and it feels fine. So when I read the review, and give my personal review, and you choose a magazines review, you speak speak to me being dishonest about what I said, thus making it personal. I am telling you right now, I wouldnt have my family in a car if I didnt think it was a good car, let alone the worst car in America.
Dave, you have to remember this is a magazine that thinks that the Accord and Camry are the best thing to come along since butter.

bigslim
05-15-2006, 10:06 PM

You were the one that said your neck was hurting. I guess your head grows when you get in an Impala. I'm sorry but you are a "Fleet Manager".

bigslim
05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
I find it funny how some people think that the Mmis the only car that matters. No other car compares to it.

When someone speaks on the 300, Charger and Magnum they are slammed for liking what some of think is a ugly car. I find this funny because Chrysler has sold a boatload of these cars. The are new and exciting and some are really fast. Thes are very nice cars for the money. Worlds ahead our MMs.

Now someone speaks on the Impala and once again everyone slams it for being different. I myself really did not like the new Impala until I drove Dave's. I will say right now that it is a very nice fast car. I would buy one over any sedan currently coming out of Ford (the green company). I also know that GM is working on a rear wheel drive 400 hp or more Impala. I guess when that comes you guys will find something to criticize about it.

If anything ever happens to my beloved MM I would not hesitate to go and get SRT-8 product from Chrysler. Until Ford makes a new rear wheel drive performance sedan (pigs will fly before that happens) I will be shopping across town.

Bigdogjim
05-15-2006, 10:36 PM
You were the one that said your neck was hurting. I guess your head grows when you get in an Impala. I'm sorry but you are a "Fleet Manager".

Hey if I hd Impala's in my fleet I would sell 'em quick....:laugh:

No Slim my head does not grow fast. I said and you quoted my neck hurts not my head. I have removed the sunvisor in the marauder so I can see. I need a sunroof in the SS...........:laugh:

Bigdogjim
05-15-2006, 10:40 PM
You know something, I think I am done with debating on this topic. There is absolutely nothing I can say that wont be criticized and torn apart by the powers that be. It is apparent that the Dave Haters enjoy making this personal and smacking around a choice I made is a fun way to spend a night, so Mike, Mike, Mac, Jim, you are all right.

Hey Dave wake up!!! We can not be the "powers to be" you have the button not us...........duh?

And as far as I know no one "hates" Dave. Come to Barry's and I'll toss you a beer:beer:

wsmylie
05-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Geeeze...some of you guys seem a little touchy today:) . Anyway, never really pay too much attention to what any of the car mag wags have to say. Usually just read the spec's and test result numbers (even take those with a grain of salt) and only skim the narrative portions for any balanced observations there might happen to be; just dismiss all the attempts at clever remarks and humor as so much pseudo gibberish.

Although I have not yet driven an 06 Imp SS, I have taken two new V-6 models for test drives recently while trying to decide between buying a base model (SE) Ford 500 or the base Impala. The Impala didn't seem like a bad basic car for the money; can't honestly say anything bad about the ones I drove. They just seemed kind of bland and short on personality IMHO. The 500 SE was also pretty basic but seemed like it was a more solid and better assembled vehicle (again subjective). When I was shopping in late March G.M. was sticking to their "Value Pricing" strategy and hardly offering any kind of incentives. Sales guy said he wanted to "sell me the car, not the deal". Sorry G.M., I'll take both. I bought the Ford. Picked the 500 over the Impala because I felt it was just more car for the money plus FoMoCo had three grand in incentives. :D

Haggis
05-16-2006, 03:18 AM
...:popcorn:...

Mike Poore
05-16-2006, 03:49 AM
What on earth do MM.net members, or the MM, for that matter, have anything to do with an article published in C&D about an '06 Impala SS?

There was a rumor going around that certain persons were not going to be taking issues personally, or attacking others while defending their "brothers". It was a nice try, but apparently, a miserable failure.:shake:

When posting an interesting and informative article, found in a magazine with a readership of over 10 million, there was no thought that I would become the target of the attack dogs from the Motor City pound, who were supposedly being muzzled, because of their contentious antics in the past.

Oh well, as my pal Gordon has correctly (once again) observed ......:popcorn:

Bigdogjim
05-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Somethings never change.

Pass the popcorn....................... ...

wchain
05-16-2006, 08:01 AM
http://images9.fotki.com/v175/photos/4/41821/141880/animatedlobby-vi.gif
http://images9.fotki.com/v173/photos/4/41821/141880/lobby-vi.jpg

bigslim
05-16-2006, 08:36 AM
What on earth do MM.net members, or the MM, for that matter, have anything to do with an article published in C&D about an '06 Impala SS?

There was a rumor going around that certain persons were not going to be taking issues personally, or attacking others while defending their "brothers". It was a nice try, but apparently, a miserable failure.:shake:

When posting an interesting and informative article, found in a magazine with a readership of over 10 million, there was no thought that I would become the target of the attack dogs from the Motor City pound, who were supposedly being muzzled, because of their contentious antics in the past.

So was this a setup to get that person upset?? I found this thread to be no different than any other thread in that people came here to voice their opinion. Sorry if some us don't feel the way you do. Sorry if some of us actually research stuff before we comment on it. I say this because it was you that said that you were going to test drive an Impala but after you read the C&D article you changed your mind. We stated that we have driven the car in question and found it to be nice vehicle.

bigslim
05-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Somethings never change.

You should know. :rolleyes:

MERCMAN
05-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Somethings never change.

Would you like a shilled,,err,,chilled beverage with that??

Bigdogjim
05-16-2006, 10:00 AM
You should know. :rolleyes:

Yeah but at least I really own/drive a Ford F-150 Biggie slim:P

SergntMac
05-16-2006, 11:33 AM
I drive a "wimpala".

The car is a POS period.

Another snappy comeback...what year is your Wimpala... I think Mike Poore started out with dissing on the Impala SS. Is that what you drive? Is that an official CPD fleet car? Is it a former scout car? You cant even make your insults match the car in question. It's not a snappy comeback, it's the truth. The car is my service vehicle, a 2006 "wimpala". I've put 6000 miles on it so far, and it's been in the repair shop 3X for tranny problems, 2X for overheating and 1X for no heat. I make no insults towards anyone, I simply stated my case clearly, and my observations are from my own personal experience with a 2006 police service vehicle. BTW, there's 150 of them sitting in my HQ parking lot, and there doesn't seem to be a day that one is towed out of the lot.

The wimpala is a POS, period.

It is apparent that the Dave Haters enjoy making this personal and smacking around a choice I made is a fun way to spend a night, so Mike, Mike, Mac, Jim, you are all right. The Impala SS is a piece of shlt, it is the worst car I have ever owned, the Marauder is the only car anyone should ever aspire to own, I will sell the Impala tomorrow and purchase a vehicle that C&D approves of and therefore do a better job providing a save vehicle for my family. Thanks for setting me straight guys. I never said anything to you, or, about you, let alone your choice of automobiles, yet I am a "Dave hater"?
:bs:

Some time ago, I promised Mike (MikesMerc) via e-mail that I would hold no ill will towards you, or, anyone else who's bashed me in the past both here and at SVT, including Jerry Barnes. Despite the beatings I've endured, I have kept my word. Moreover, I posted my factual opinion well before you joined this discussion, and posted nothing more until now, yet I am a "Dave Hater". So much for folks keeping their word.

Nonetheless, be advised that when there is a question on the table I can offer advice or opinion on, I will speak, and without any effort or intent to disrupt, embarass, or, ridicule others. That the promise I made and despite what you think of me, I am keeping my word. I deserve the same respect in return, especially from a board administrator.

If you feel hated by the folks you name Dave, ask yourself why. But, don't lay that crap on me, I didn't say ***** to you, or about you.

An apology is in order.

magindat
05-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Devolution.

Thought this was a Marauder forum.....

Mike Poore
05-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Devolution.

Thought this was a Marauder forum.....

Nope, the Marauder forum would be two doors up. This where we seek out and destroy anyone from Detroit, just because they're easy to hate ...smell funny too.

That darned Dan Wasson's next on the hit squad's list, ...watch your back, sucka. :neener:

dwasson
05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Nope, the Marauder forum would be two doors up. This where we seek out and destroy anyone from Detroit, just because they're easy to hate ...smell funny too.

That darned Dan Wasson's next on the hit squad's list, ...watch your back, sucka. :neener:

Ooh big man. Beating up on the sick guy.

MM2004
05-16-2006, 01:51 PM

I am being accused of "hating" you now? On what grounds do you make that assessment?

Personally, I think the new Impala SS sucks. That's all. I have said nothing negative about you nor the people following you.

That should be 2 apologies in order.

Mike.

Mad4Macs
05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I beat an Impala SS last week in a street fight, does that mean Impalas suck?

:lol:

nomad
05-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Sad.Really sad.
I think if somebody takes post #1[Mike Poore's]and post#6[MikesMerc],
then deletes the rest of the garbage and locks this trainwreck,we could have a good point/counterpoint thread.
But, children will be children. JMHO:alone:

Mike Poore
05-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Ooh big man. Beating up on the sick guy.

Dan we didn't know you've been sick. Can Barb and I do anything for you? :depress:

:hijack:

OK, it's over now, back to your regular programme.

MikesMerc
05-16-2006, 03:45 PM
When posting an interesting and informative article, found in a magazine with a readership of over 10 million, there was no thought that I would become the target of the attack dogs from the Motor City pound

This post is a perfect example of how you, and others like minded, try to single out the Motor City guys and blame us for being aggressive or whatever. That's nonsense.

Read the thread again. You'll see that there were a number of other individuals, non MCM members, telling you the same thing I did in my first post. That is that you should drive the car before drawing final conclusions and not be spoon fed your opinion from a biased car rag. How come you didn't include those posters in your accusations of being attacked? Sprinkled throughtout this thread was criticism of the C&D rag by numerous non MCM members as well, as was the suggestion you drive the car. But, somehow, you manage to ignore those posts and make this an MCM issue. Hmmmm.

Better yet. The MCM has been criticized in the past by a few folks for being pretty opnionated. Yet you, and those like minded, feel just fine with bashing a car you haven't driven in. Then, when Dave gives his opinions as someone who actually owns and drives the car, you only argue back without any consideration of what he presented. Hmmmm.

LOL...if I were Dave, Id' be pretty pissed too dealing with all the close minded spoon fed opinions of those without any hands on experience with an SS.

Last, I couldn't at this point care any less about what you think about the MCM members. For as many times as I've heard our group get criticism from you and a few others for our "aggressive" and "opnionated" posting, I've also received just as many "thank you's" from members who are glad that we simply call it as we see it.

Your agenda is clear. You need not say more (although I somehow doubt we'll all be that lucky).

bigslim
05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Is this another pot shot??

blackf0rk
05-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I beat an Impala SS last week in a street fight...

Same here. It was a nice blue color, 06. We gave each other the thumbs up afterwards. The traction control (if it was on) really killed him off the line :(

bigslim
05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
It's not a snappy comeback, it's the truth. The car is my service vehicle, a 2006 "wimpala". I've put 6000 miles on it so far, and it's been in the repair shop 3X for tranny problems, 2X for overheating and 1X for no heat. I make no insults towards anyone, I simply stated my case clearly, and my observations are from my own personal experience with a 2006 police service vehicle. BTW, there's 150 of them sitting in my HQ parking lot, and there doesn't seem to be a day that one is towed out of the lot.

The wimpala is a POS, period.
I never said anything to you, or, about you, let alone your choice of automobiles, yet I am a "Dave hater"?
:bs:

Some time ago, I promised Mike (MikesMerc) via e-mail that I would hold no ill will towards you, or, anyone else who's bashed me in the past both here and at SVT, including Jerry Barnes. Despite the beatings I've endured, I have kept my word. Moreover, I posted my factual opinion well before you joined this discussion, and posted nothing more until now, yet I am a "Dave Hater". So much for folks keeping their word.

Nonetheless, be advised that when there is a question on the table I can offer advice or opinion on, I will speak, and without any effort or intent to disrupt, embarass, or, ridicule others. That the promise I made and despite what you think of me, I am keeping my word. I deserve the same respect in return, especially from a board administrator.

If you feel hated by the folks you name Dave, ask yourself why. But, don't lay that crap on me, I didn't say ***** to you, or about you.

An apology is in order.
An apology is in deed in order. Now when will you apologize to Dave? All he did was come here and offer his opinion on a car that he "OWNS". None of you guys here own a 2006 V8 Impala. I think that makes him the authority on this subject.

Mac, you do offer your opinion on everything whether you know about it or not.

bigslim
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM

Where did this come from??? It has been very nice and quiet around here. We here in the Motor City decided that we would no longer lower ourselves to your level. Everything has been fine. Now this comes up.

There have been times that we could have jumped into so many different threads and offered the truth but we decided it was not worth getting into a pi$$ing match with people that don't have any clue about whats going on. And of course you were not happy so you got make little jabs at us.

This thread that was started by Mike Poore was going ok. Everyone offered their opinion about this car. Most of you have not even driven one. But you would rather take the word of an "Import Bias" "rag-mag" then the word of someone that actually owns one. Dave never said that the SS was the best car out there. He never said that it was better than the MM. He just stated that this car was a good car for the money and it could out perform many of your modded MM's.

Mike, do not make this into a MCM vs everyone else thread. You were wrong from the start and you are surely wrong now. Let lying dogs lye.

Bigdogjim
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Where did this come from??? It has been very nice and quiet around here. We here in the Motor City decided that we would no longer lower ourselves to your level. Everything has been fine. Now this comes up.
Slim you have jumped in here with both feet and taken all kinds of "pot shots" at people
There have been times that we could have jumped into so many different threads and offered the truth but we decided it was not worth getting into a pi$$ing match with people that don't have any clue about whats going on. And of course you were not happy so you got make little jabs at us.
So why do you all take it so personal? Hell it's just a car? (the SS)

This thread that was started by Mike Poore was going ok. Everyone offered their opinion about this car. Most of you have not even driven one.Now how you know this for a fact? But you would rather take the word of an "Import Bias" "rag-mag" A"Rag" with 10 milloin readers? then the word of someone that actually owns one. Dave never said that the SS was the best car out there. He never said that it was better than the MM. He just stated that this car was a good car for the money and it could out perform many of your modded MM's.

Mike, do not make this into a MCM vs everyone else thread. You were wrong from the start and you are surely wrong now. Let lying dogs lye.It's a sleeping dog pal! Not lying, don't make it fit you post!

OK! Hows that?

Bigdogjim
05-16-2006, 05:25 PM
What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Is this another pot shot??

Slim hit the refresh button in your mind......Your post on F-150 on line about just getting an F-150? Looking for a ????????? Remember???

OK! Though so!

MI2QWK4U
05-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Well...this has certantly gone downhill. Mike, I think it was cheap to make this a MCM vs MM.net issue, when acutally its a very few members of MM.net vs the MCM. I will be honest, we really have no interest in bantering back and forth. I think its very important to notice that more Members of MM.net spoke up in favor of the car in question than MCM members, a fact you and some others convieniently dismiss. It is inflamatory posts like these that are intended to cause disention amoung all MM.net mebers as well as MCMs.

Dan didnt really get into this thread, yet you rip on him just cause he is a MCM, forget the fact the man just got out of the hospital and is flat on his back recovering...

Then Jim has been laying down zingers the entire thread.

Hey Dave wake up!!! We can not be the "powers to be" you have the button not us...........duh?

Dont see me using it do you?

Then you get mad at this?

Well bigdog, you make a statement, and are wrong, heaven forbid you just say, "wow, I guess they are about the same size inside?" You made the statement about who in their right mind would say that the SS had as much room as a Marauder. I stated the facts as I see them, I even responded saying so, that both appeared to have the same amount of headroom. Then the numbers get posted and of course you are in denial, again. Your intent obviously was to slam the SS as being no where close to having the same interior room as your Marauder. So a fraction of an inch isnt important, what is important is they are just about equal, period.

Folks, for the last time, I did not post here to do anything more than dispute the article, not Mike. Mike read the article, and drew his conclusions from that, that is absolutely his right! I just meant to post here as someone that acutally owned the car, and have driven it for the last 5 months. As I said before, although I dont think the article was all that negative, it doesnt descrive that car very well. I think you all know that I never said the SS is better than the Marauder, faster yes, better no. I wrongly assumed that actual hands on experience that I could share with the forum would be appreciated and believed. It is apparent that my review was not appreciated or believed, because so many people that havent driven the car in question said it was a POS. Although I think it is convienient that Mike posted that article about a car I have liked since we got it, and have posted such in these forums, it has been suggested that Mike posted it in an attempt to stir things up with me, that is idle speculation and has no place here. People have voiced their opinions, which is fine, but there is no need to berate my observations about a vehicle I own. It becomes personal when people decide to discount or assume I am not being honest or truthful about my appraisial of the SS. I would never make up or lie about information that other members of this forum may use to make a decision about a car. You may not like me, thats fine, but I have never lied or been deceptive when it comes to cars. Like I said earlier, bantering back and forth does nothing but bruise egos and hurt feelings. Believe my account or Car and Driver, boils down to that. Sorry for the distration.

Bigdogjim
05-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey Dave taking a part of post and quoting it is like looking at 1/2 a picture.

MI2QWK4U
05-16-2006, 05:47 PM

Jim, that last post of mine is more of an attempt than you have ever made to mend a fence or set things back on course. Try being part of the resolution of a problem, its not so bad.

Bradley G
05-16-2006, 05:59 PM
The MCM guys don't smell! :D

Some of them dress a little funny! :lol:

bigslim
05-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Slim hit the refresh button in your mind......Your post on F-150 on line about just getting an F-150? Looking for a ????????? Remember???

OK! Though so!
What does this have to with this thread?? You are always trying to stir the pot. It is none of your business why I did what I did. I will say that I help my friends. Nothing more than that. Now the question is will I help you???:rolleyes:

bigslim
05-16-2006, 06:20 PM
OK! Hows that?
I jumped in with both only after someone attacked the MCM guys as usual. I will always have my "brother's" backs.

True, it was about a car. A car that I have driven. A car most of you guys slammed but have never driven. Have you really driven a 2006 Impala SS Jim?

I have never lied or talked about anything that I know nothing about. I will also say that when one of the MCM people speak it is from experiance. If we don't know about something we don't BS our way around things or make a joke out of it to cover our a$$es.

Jim, it seems that you always add your :laugh: to any post that you nothing about. Most of the time you are the only one laughing. I take that back we are laughing too, AT YOU!!.

bigslim
05-16-2006, 06:23 PM

OK! Though so!
Remember I work for Ford. I do things to educate myself about certain things. But then again I am not an accomplished "Fleet Manager". I am just a skilled trades, 20 year UAW member.

bigslim
05-16-2006, 06:24 PM
And you have never done that. :rolleyes:

MI2QWK4U
05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Folks, before this goes any further, this thread has reached its end, everyone has said their piece, no need to go any further. Mike, thanks for the link to the info on the SS, thats what this thread was about.