PDA

View Full Version : Fried F150

mcb26
05-16-2006, 12:19 PM
My alternator caught fire this morning and took the wiring harness with it.
One of my major problems with FORD is not being able to find a harness for an older model. The people I talk to say Ford (unlike all other manufactures)will not release the connectors or schematics for obsolete vehicles.:mad2:
I finally let my 67 Galaxie go because of it.

Luckily I had dropped it off at the L/M dealer to check the charging system when it happened in their garage. If it had happened elsewhere my truck would be a burnt spot or crater on the highway (35 gal.of gas).

wchain
05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
What year is it?

mcb26
05-16-2006, 02:26 PM
1994 300 I6, auto, air, manual windows

wchain
05-16-2006, 02:30 PM
The Sell pigtails at Autozone and Oreilly Auto Parts. I had the same thing happen to my 94 F150 and my 88 Crown Vic. I ended up buying the pigtail and fixing it, but if you have trouble doing that, AB Auto electric in Houston made me a brand new harness for the 88 when I had it for 60 bucks.

Let me know I can put you in touch with them.

Isnt a F150 with an I-6 the best mod for a MM owner? :burnout:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15394&highlight=F-150

mcb26
05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
The Sell pigtails at Autozone and Oreilly Auto Parts. I had the same thing happen to my 94 F150 and my 88 Crown Vic. I ended up buying the pigtail and fixing it, but if you have trouble doing that, AB Auto electric in Houston made me a brand new harness for the 88 when I had it for 60 bucks.

Let me know I can put you in touch with them.

Isnt a F150 with an I-6 the best mod for a MM owner? :burnout:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15394&highlight=F-150

The L/M dealer has it now, they're seeing what they can find. Thanks for the info I'll pass it on.

I think the F150 would take my MM in the 1/8th mile.:D

RoyLPita
05-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Got any pics of your old 67 Galaxie?

JMan
05-17-2006, 02:51 AM
The L/M dealer has it now, they're seeing what they can find.
.:D

http://www.motorcraft.com/pdf/Wiring_Pigtails_Illustration_G uide.pdf

Page 173 - You are dealing with morons or it burnt up a considerable amount of harness.

Best luck,

J

Mike Poore
05-17-2006, 03:20 AM
My alternator caught fire this morning and took the wiring harness with it.
One of my major problems with FORD is not being able to find a harness for an older model. The people I talk to say Ford (unlike all other manufactures)will not release the connectors or schematics for obsolete vehicles.:mad2:
I finally let my 67 Galaxie go because of it.

Luckily I had dropped it off at the L/M dealer to check the charging system when it happened in their garage. If it had happened elsewhere my truck would be a burnt spot or crater on the highway (35 gal.of gas).

Let me know if you've found one by the time the All Ford Nationals at Carlisle rolls around, next month. There will be a wiring harness there, and it would be my pleasure to get one for you.:)

mcb26
05-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Stopped by to look at the damage this morning. Not as bad as first thought. Mostly just near the alternator. They got to it pretty quick. They did an inspection of the rest of the harness no apparent damage. When my Galaxie did that (sorry Roy no pictures) it took the harness out in the engine compartment, under dash and part of the rear harness.
They said it should be up and running today.:) Some kind of valve was damaged they said , but I forgot what it was. It's been discontinued probably something to do with smog. I told them to go ahead and replace the belts and hoses in the area even though they didn't look damaged.
So anyway the bottom line is I got lucky. Thank y'all for the help.