PDA

View Full Version : The 5.0 200,000 mile thread

Breadfan
05-17-2006, 01:31 PM
OK, this is a tad pre-emptive, but here goes anyway. :)

In addition to my Marauder, and per my sig, I also have a 1990 Mustang GT. It's a 5-speed car that I bought about 2-years ago. I got a killer deal on it, only $1700 for the car, and it's in surprisingly good shape for it's age and price. The chassis is quite straight and doesn't appear this car was too abused. (Well, aside from the paint and interior which were quite dirty.)

I got it to brush up on my clutch skills since it had been some time since I had a 5spd to drive. It eventually became my daily driver / commuter car as the Marauder was purchased.

The Marauder was supposed to fill that role, but I fell for that car as well, and well, the Marauder has no sratches or dings whereas my 16 year old Mustang is scratched up and needs a respray.

I remember when i got it I was going to keep it 6 months and sell it for more than I paid for it. Suffice to say, I ended up keeping it.

Anyway, the other day on the commute home the odometer rolled 99,000. This is the second time around for this odometer (only 5 digits), so it's really 199,000 miles.

The car is largely original, and is still running on the original engine and transmission.

Since I got it I've done the following:

- New tires
- Belt tensioner and Belt
- Coolant flush and thermostat (preventive)
- New fan and fan clutch
- Magnaflow catted X-pipe and new 02 sensors (it failed emissions in October, but was running fine)
- Steeda shifter (first thing I did actually...)
- Put in some foglights (oem's were missing)
- New taillight bulbs
- Junkyard 3G alternator upgrade

Over the next few weeks I'll be eyeing that odometer as it creeps to 200,000miles.

So, who says only Toyota's and Honda's last long?

It may not be the greatest car in the world according to some, or in the best shape, but to me it's great. It's a car that has cost me very little and has been kept on the road and running better than when I bought it with more blood and sweat than dollars. And that's what it's all about.

I got some good pics of it, when the sun was going down so it masked some of the faded paint. (And I have a replacement side molding in my closet, just needs to be painted to match.)

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/100_0069001.jpg

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/100_0074006.jpg

http://www.neuralimpulse.com/cars/100_0076008.jpg

Sorry for the embellishment, but as a car guy I thought I'd share this special occaision with y'all.

Oh, and as you can see, it's an ever vigilant protector of my Marauder in the parking lot there. :)

martyo
05-17-2006, 01:33 PM
A fine looking Fox indeed!

Paul T. Casey
05-17-2006, 01:36 PM
It's already fall in Virginia? I know I've been away working for a while, but I sure hope I didn't miss summer at the beach :eek: . Nice car at any rate, and a good story with it.

shakes_26
05-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Looking good!!

I sold my 90 LX 5.0 at nearly 168k miles in late 99, all I ever did aside from tires, brake pads, fluids, belts, was 2 water pumps (the rebuilt died shortly after install, so i went new OEM unit) and two clutches. Oh and some AC work which turned out to be a damn bad sensor, $600 later.....

I agree, those cars will run and run and run and run and...

PS The clutches, my own damn fault :)

KillJoy
05-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Man, the MM's are REALLY BIG next to a Fox Body!

:D

KillJoy

GAMike
05-17-2006, 02:06 PM
I also had a fox prior too the Marauder.....1995 Vintage Convertible GT. (One of the last 302 V-8's off the line before switching to the 4.6) It had 158k on it when I traded, and though cosmetically it had a ripped top, and a few dings/scratches, it ran great. 1st clutch and water pump at 138k, an O2 sensor around 100k was all I ever did to the car besides the wear & tear /preventive stuff.

For the money. I would have to say, it was the most reliable best performing car I have owned. Even as I drove to trade it in she still blasted down the highway with plenty of juice. it was just time is all.

Breadfan
05-17-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking it'd be real fun to take it to the track for it's 200,000th mile. Time it so it rolls over somewhere between the 0ft and 1320ft mark, powershifting the whole way. :D

I'll definitely have to get a vid of it.

Too bad I'm not responsible for all of those miles, but I'm sure it's had an interesting history. I only know the last 2 years.