PDA

View Full Version : Box-body CV/GM

Eric91Z
05-17-2006, 06:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here has past experience with the box-body style Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. Say the '90-'91 years with the 5.0 in them. I am still kicking around what to get for a daily driver/commuter to keep the miles of the Marauder and something that is reliable (if taken care of) and will run for a long time for a minimal initial investment. I would like to be in the $3000-$5000 (on the high end), but still be a decent looking, comfortable, reliable car to drive year round.

I have thought about the following (over an over again):

1) Chevy Lumina LTZ - FWD, reliable motor with the 3.8, minimul maintenance, decent room, dime a dozen

2) Pontiac Grand Prix GT - same as a above, but the Pontiacs seem to have more little issues

3) '94-'95 Chevy Caprice or Buick Roadmaster - good motor with the LT1, heavy duty parts, but could almost guarantee a front end suspension rebuild, BORING interior and exterior, bad color combinations

4) And of course the Panther cars.

I always come back to the Panther cars because of their size, interior room, decent styling, V8, reliability. Most of what I am looking at will get around 25 mpg on the highway (some better). But it cames back to getting the most commuter car for the money. And I don't want a complete rat of a car. Needs to be clean and cared for. And I kind of like that older body style CV/GM and the V8 will run for a long time if taken care of. Just not sure on gas mileage (better or worse than the Marauder?), other issues, etc.

Any input?

KillJoy
05-17-2006, 06:48 PM
We have a Grand AM. We have put 24K on it is 13 months. So far, really nice car.

My wife previously had a Grand Prix. 160K on the clock, with only normal maint, and a Water Pump at 125-ish-

KillJoy

jimlam56
05-17-2006, 07:04 PM
I owned a '90 CV for 5 years, it was truly an "old lady who only drove it to church" car when I bought it. The gas mileage was 20-25 mpg, the comfort was ...plush...
the steering was...vague...I didn't drive it, I pointed it.:D

Note the old style manufacturing prevelant throughout the car.
Hinges, weatherstripping, weld points, construction etc...
If it's not rusty, it's a good car. (IMHO)

Paul T. Casey
05-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Prior to the Marauder, I was a Country Squire guy. Still have it, as well as 2 spare engines, body parts, etc. Always thought it was a real classy ride. Have the trailer towing package, rated for 4000 lbs. I got reasonable mileage, say 24 or so highway, 17 around town. Plenty of room, and of course the boulevard ride. Only real mechanical trouble in 150,000 miles was replaced alternator (they may be a tad small for the load) and the fuel gague. Mine's semi retired now, just tow the boats and camper. I won't part with it.

Eric91Z
05-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Since I spend about 2 hours a day, at least, in the car on the road, I want something comfortable and safe. Not small, not cramped. Something with a little room to stretch out, good heat and A/C and relatively quite. Something that will get me from A to B in comfort, safety, and decent style. And, that I can work on, if I want.

Breadfan
05-17-2006, 08:30 PM
For 1 and 2, a good option I'd go for would be the Buick Regal GS, supercharged 3800, reliable, and FWD which is helpful in the snow...from what I herad they're pretty reliable.

If going for a Grand Am, or any GM car with the 3.4l V6, you WILL having the lower intake gaskets replaced at one point. Ask me how I know - it's not an easy job to fix. Mine went about 100k miles before it developed and it was only a small external leak. My sisters had it fail twice very badly by 40,000 miles.

Roadmasters look neat, LT1 engine. The Caprices diddn't all have LT1s. I think only the 9C1 police package cars and the SS had them. Only other way was the roadmaster and I think the oldsmobile wagon.

Oh, but about 1 and 2, you won't get the high end ones with low mileage for that price.

Good luck!

Rider90
05-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Eric,

Crownvic.net is a good starter. There is a small forum of box body owners that should be able to help you out with anything you need.

Eric91Z
05-17-2006, 08:40 PM
For 1 and 2, a good option I'd go for would be the Buick Regal GS, supercharged 3800, reliable, and FWD which is helpful in the snow...from what I herad they're pretty reliable.

If going for a Grand Am, or any GM car with the 3.4l V6, you WILL having the lower intake gaskets replaced at one point. Ask me how I know - it's not an easy job to fix. Mine went about 100k miles before it developed and it was only a small external leak. My sisters had it fail twice very badly by 40,000 miles.

Roadmasters look neat, LT1 engine. The Caprices diddn't all have LT1s. I think only the 9C1 police package cars and the SS had them. Only other way was the roadmaster and I think the oldsmobile wagon.

Oh, but about 1 and 2, you won't get the high end ones with low mileage for that price.

Good luck!

Planning on staying away from the Regal GS or Grand Prix GTP for 2 reasons: 1) want something that will run on regular unleaded, not premium, and 2) would be too tempted to modify.

And I have found that I can get a lot more and newer car with a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis compared to the GM options. And I would only get one with the 3.8L V6. And I could take FWD or leave it. I grew up driving RWD year round here in Iowa and drove the Marauder last winter. The Marauder with dedicated winter tires went places other cars had a problem I chalk that up mostly to the tires, but also traction control and weight of the car. One more reason for a bigger car.

I would only get a Caprice with the LT1. Yes, I know not all of them had it. The Caprice, Roadmaster, Olds Wagon, and Cadillac Fleetwood could all be had with the LT1 and all had very similiar suspension setups (except the wagons got different rear ends than the sedans). I would be happy to find a Caprice that has been made in to an Impala SS clone. Get the look without putting the miles on an original. Kind of like not wanting to put miles on the Marauder - to the tune of about 600 a week right now.

RoyLPita
05-18-2006, 04:41 AM
I would try for a 92-up style CV or GM. I had good luck with my 2 prior GMLSHPPs and my 95 CVPIs. If you have to do a window regulator yourself, you will be a pro afterwards. For some reason, the driver panel didn't hold up as well as it should. Plus, like the competition, the front ends will need some TLC but will hold up no matter what. Keep us posted.

Eric91Z
05-18-2006, 05:35 AM
I would try for a 92-up style CV or GM. I had good luck with my 2 prior GMLSHPPs and my 95 CVPIs. If you have to do a window regulator yourself, you will be a pro afterwards. For some reason, the driver panel didn't hold up as well as it should. Plus, like the competition, the front ends will need some TLC but will hold up no matter what. Keep us posted.

Yeah, this is kind of what I am thinking. The Pre-'02 ones seems to be few and far between and the pricing isn't much less than a '92+ model with some aweful color combinations and interiors. And I kind of favor the GM over the CV. I am thinking a bone stock GMLSHPP is the route to go. I get the rear air springs I want (I really like that feature), updated ABS and, depending on the year, traction control. Plus, I already have a spare Marauder airbox, maybe get a Marauder MAF if I upgrade to a larger one on the Marauder when I supercharge it, get a tune and call it a day...

Bradley G
05-18-2006, 05:49 AM
That's what I'm talking about!:coolman:
You will not be sorry!
I think I remember reading that you are "bigger than your average bear":D Me Too!, If I could just grab that extra inch of leg room for the '02 that I got pulling the stop pin out of the seat track, on the MM.!:depress:
I have learned a bunch from the Crownvic.net forum too!
You'll have a power adder on both Panthers in no time!
Yeah, this is kind of what I am thinking. The Pre-'02 ones seems to be few and far between and the pricing isn't much less than a '92+ model with some aweful color combinations and interiors. And I kind of favor the GM over the CV. I am thinking a bone stock GMLSHPP is the route to go. I get the rear air springs I want (I really like that feature), updated ABS and, depending on the year, traction control. Plus, I already have a spare Marauder airbox, maybe get a Marauder MAF if I upgrade to a larger one on the Marauder when I supercharge it, get a tune and call it a day...

RoyLPita
05-18-2006, 05:52 AM

With the HPP, you will get air suspension and ABS with traction control. However, there is no on/off switch. If you start to look around, look for dual exhaust, cross laced wheels, and 3.27 axle ratio. Beware of the cross laced GMs with single exhaust and white wall tires. Those are not HPP equipped.

If you find one with a 3.55 locker, then the vehicle has the towing package.(this applies to the 92-94 models)

RoyLPita
05-28-2006, 07:23 AM
:bump: Any updates?