PDA

View Full Version : Is there a brush we can safely use ...

Stock03
05-20-2006, 02:35 PM
to wash our MMs? I have substantial back problems, and bending to wash the lower half of the MM is not a happy experience. Is there a fairly longhandled brush that would be save to use?
Thanks.

Mike Poore
05-20-2006, 02:37 PM
to wash our MMs? I have substantial back problems, and bending to wash the lower half of the MM is not a happy experience. Is there a fairly longhandled brush that would be save to use?
Thanks.

NO! Go to the no touch car wash.

Bigdogjim
05-20-2006, 08:04 PM
pm sent:)....................

DirtyDog
05-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Thanks.

Target has an adjustable length handle with cotton pad wash tool for $10. Works well and easy on my bad back. I sit on a stool for the wheels.

KillJoy
05-20-2006, 08:45 PM
I have a buddy who washes the MM for me. Perhaps you should get one?

KillJoy

Stock03
05-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys (and the pm, BDJ). Looks like a long handle with a mitt fastened to it is as good as it gets.

mrjones
05-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I use a truck wash brush with a 60" handle. You can get the brushes with real soft bristles. I also use a foamer gun to apply the soap. You can get the foam gun from a commercial supplier ( Zep, etc.), load it with soap (ZepOShine or Zep Blue Magic is what I use), and spray the foam on the car. The foamer has a quick disconnect for rinsing.

No bending involved and it does a good job. I know lots of people will holler about using a truck wash brush, but the key to no scratches is to keep the brush washed out after brushing each section of the car. Any dirt will be rinsed out. There's no bucket to trap dirt in the bottom, and any dirt will get pushed up into the bristles instead of being sc***** along the car llike it will with a rag or mitt.

crom
05-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Meguiars makes one. They actually have a couple, one for the rims (it works great with some wheel cleaner) and one for the body. The one for the body does not leave swirl marks, just make sure you keep it rinsed and clean. I bought mine at Advance Auto when I was working there part time. About $10 bucks a piece if I remember. Hope this helps.

Rider90
05-22-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys (and the pm, BDJ). Looks like a long handle with a mitt fastened to it is as good as it gets.
This is a product from Meguiars that I use on trucks and roofs..
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/products/product_X1190.jpg
Works great and the pads are replaceable. I found it at Murray's Auto Parts.

whoskal
05-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Handle brushes will work the tip is to keep them clean...rinse it several times while you are washing your car to keep the dirt out of it....I myself am a fan of the touch free car washes

HwyCruiser
05-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Keeping your Marauder clean is a requirement of ownership. I say do yourself and your car a favor and get one. The Meguiars deal looks pretty nice.

SID210SA
05-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Just a little tip I learned from the detailing business.....use a seperate mit for the upper part and lower part of the car....so as not to bring the road grim to the rest of the car and start from the top and work your way to the bottom, and then the wheels last.

SergntMac
05-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Just a little tip I learned from the detailing business.....use a seperate mit for the upper part and lower part of the car....so as not to bring the road grim to the rest of the car and start from the top and work your way to the bottom, and then the wheels last. Good point, and they way I learned it was to high pressure rinse before washing, Either way, get as much of the chunky stuff off before applying any rubbing motions.

Agent M79
05-23-2006, 07:28 AM
...get as much of the chunky stuff off before applying any rubbing motions.

This is good advice on a lot of levels... but let's not discuss my dating habits. :cool:

blackf0rk
05-23-2006, 07:29 AM
I see (aside from Rider90) that you guys like to put swirl marks on your car. ;)

Breadfan
05-23-2006, 08:21 AM
I use two mits, a really soft furry one for the top down to the lower moulding, and a not so furry one for everything below that and the wheels. And always pre-rinse.

Also starting at the top keeps your bucket of water cleaner longer.

Another tip, for the wheel wells where there is a black plastic splash sheild (mainly the fronts) rinse those off during pre-rinse and after they dry spray tire foam on them. it will clean them, blacken them, and shine them, so no more dirty wheel wells.

You can get brushes that have both super soft mits and the slightly coarser (but still soft) mits, you might be able to swap the heads on them so you can use two seperate for the top and bottom.

KillJoy
05-23-2006, 08:42 AM
I see (aside from Rider90) that you guys like to put swirl marks on your car. ;)

Please elaborate.

KillJoy

blackf0rk
05-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Please elaborate.

KillJoy
Well I'm not here to knock on anyone's washing style, but all I'll say is that I'd never let a brush anywhere near my paint. You can guarantee swirling and micro-maring with anything less than boar's hair brushes (http://www.topoftheline.com/boarhairbodw.html).

If you need a brush to remove any dirt, it means it's caked on. If it's that thick, you shouldn't be rubbing anything on your paint to get the dirt off. You should be soaking and rinsing.

Anytime you make contact with your car, and the surface has dust or dirt on it, you'll scratch, swirl, or micro-mar the paint; Those are the facts jack. :)

:beer:

Bigdogjim
05-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Anytime you make contact with your car, and the surface has dust or dirt on it, you'll scratch, swirl, or micro-mar the paint; Those are the facts jack.

What you say is true to a point?

If the car has real good paint (as some of ours do not) then a good wax base you will not get swirl marks. If you do there are products that remove swirl marks from black paint and I will bring some to Barry's meet Ohio in June so people can see first hand.

Poor paint + a brush on dirt= TROUBLE.....for most.

Good point! :up:

blackf0rk
05-23-2006, 09:44 AM
What you say is true to a point?

If the car has real good paint (as some of ours do not) then a good wax base you will not get swirl marks. If you do there are products that remove swirl marks from black paint and I will bring some to Barry's meet Ohio in June so people can see first hand.

Poor paint + a brush on dirt= TROUBLE.....for most.

Good point! :up:
Yea, there are simply way too many different scenarios when it comes washing a car and what to/not to do.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you, as a detailer, on the wax protecting part and removing swirl marks with products (I assume by hand?). The reason I disagree is because if your car sits outside in the sun for a day, your carnauba based wax will be gone. A polymer wax will last longer, but not much.

Wax does not protect your car. Sealants do. I wouldn't trust a wax to protect my paint from dust 24hours after I applied it. Adding a sealant to your paint, then a wax will protect it.

Also, you're not removing swirls marks with hand applied chemicals. You're hiding them. It takes at least 2 - 3 steps and a buffer/rotary to truely remove the swirl (Again, based upon certain scenarios and conditions).

KillJoy
05-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I would like to repost this video:

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/now-thats-extreme-detailin-the-10000-car-wash-171502.php

KillJoy

blackf0rk
05-23-2006, 10:04 AM
I would like to repost this video:

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/now-thats-extreme-detailin-the-10000-car-wash-171502.php

KillJoy

Where's his brush? :rolleyes:

Stock03
05-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Wow--a flurry (or should I say a mittful) of responses. Thanks for the suggesttions. A lot of the stuff that's available below the 49th paralle we can't easily get, but that Meguiars longhandled mitt might be available. For me, that would probably be the best solution.
Useful info.
Thanks!

Rider90
05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Wow--a flurry (or should I say a mittful) of responses. Thanks for the suggesttions. A lot of the stuff that's available below the 49th paralle we can't easily get, but that Meguiars longhandled mitt might be available. For me, that would probably be the best solution.
Useful info.
Thanks!
I've had a few wands with mitts and the Meguiar's one is top-notch. It can rotate in almost any direction without getting jammed up so this is the road I am suggesting...

kj31067
05-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Just a little tip I learned from the detailing business.....use a seperate mit for the upper part and lower part of the car....so as not to bring the road grim to the rest of the car and start from the top and work your way to the bottom, and then the wheels last.

yeah, what he said!!

kj31067
05-23-2006, 06:03 PM
i saw a post and thread about using wheel acid. i can tell you first hand it will make a crappy wheel look great!! my brother at the time worked in a local auto rocon shop and they would put that stuff on the wheels of my camaro berlinetta and they would look like the day it rolled off the line!!!! just my .02

blackf0rk
05-23-2006, 06:24 PM
If you don't have access to wheel acid, you can use Castrol Super Clean (purple bottle). It's insanely strong (I recommend you delute it 3/1 for tough grime). It's biodegradable though.

But, nothing works as good as wheel acid though ;)