PDA

View Full Version : What If?

Dragcity
05-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Now I know this is probabaly a really silly question/idea. But,,,,,,, What if..... we took say a heater blower fan and configured it to the air intake system to force more air into the plenum? (Intake Manifold)

Any effect? Or will the engine just 'take' what it needs.

I know, silly....

natedog1284
05-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Not entirely. If the fan were powerful enough to produce anything over ambient air pressure it would certainly work, the problem is finding a motor strong/fast enough to produce that kind of boost while keeping it fairly small and light. But your idea has already been tried and, while they do sell "electric superchargers" (look on eBay, there's quite a few), they don't really do anything at all. Ask me how I know; I will say that I didn't buy it because I really thought it would work, but because I had a beater car I cared nothing about and my brother, friends, and I wanted to see how much it didn't work. We weren't dissapointed altogether, but I have to say I noticed a very slight (read VERY slight) improvement right off the line, (this car was only a 6 banger, but on a 4 it may be slightly more effective. But hey, we had fun with putting it in and then flogging the car, and who else would bother actually trying it anyway? Now I guess it's on to the Tornado Fuel-Saver! Just my .02

Dragcity
05-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I ask because I have a 12v high speed blower fan/motor that moves a lot of air at fairly high pressure. Has a turbiune wheel... Just wondering/thinking out loud....?

duhtroll
05-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Some guy did this with a ricer and a leaf blower, and it was somewhat successful. (video on net somewhere - search) However, having the power to run it is the problem. :)

Blackened300a
05-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Some guy did this with a ricer and a leaf blower, and it was somewhat successful. (video on net somewhere - search) However, having the power to run it is the problem. :)

I have seen this video and this is true, it put out another 25 RWHP with the leaf blower.

However some one already beat you to the idea,
eBay Motors: Electric Supercharger/Turbo ! Fits all cars!!!! (item 8069078491 end time May-27-06 09:46:07 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electric-Supercharger-Turbo-Fits-all-cars_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategor yZ33741QQitemZ8069078491QQrdZ1 )

I dont think 120 CFM's would make a difference. If im not mistaken, you would need about 500 CFM to produce 1lb of boost. Im not 100% sure of that but I do remember reading it on another forum.

HwyCruiser
05-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I hear a leaf blower is good for 10-15 hp.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/leaf+blower/0/wm/AB544E3B-5DFF-416D-9CFD-A1AD23CA9564.htm

No intercooler required. :rolleyes: