PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my CC has been compromised!

KillJoy
06-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I went to Lowe's this morning to get about $43 is stuff. We back at lunch time to get another $51 in stuff. Slid the card.....oh yeah...they want them to call this in for authorization.

I spoke w/ the ladie on the phone....kinda pissed off that the card didn't go through. I verified who I was, and they asked if I made the earlier purchase. I said yes, and I was making this as well. She then asked if I made a $500 cash transfer to epassport.com. I said...umm NO!

She said they would kill the card, and send me a new one w/ a new number. She implied that it should be no trouble getting ANY of the charges I feel are fraudulant removed.:o

Hopefully this will not end up being a MAJOR PITA.

KillJoy

PS - Glad I just got the Identity Theft Coverage added to our Home Owner's Policy last week:D

Rider90
06-01-2006, 09:46 AM
That sucks, what CC Company?

KillJoy
06-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Citi Bank. There is a small chance that one of the companies that process CC#'s as a business.....may have been compromised. Hence, my situation.

You know....the people on the other end of the CC Scanner Machines.

I've checked online, and no other charges look bogus. Just this one for $500.

KillJoy

Big House
06-01-2006, 10:10 AM
The same thing happened to me shopping on EBAY...they hit me for $300 but went for $1200. IT ended up being a bank in the Former USSR. I called my back, challenged the charges and the money was redeposited the same day.

mrjones
06-01-2006, 10:53 AM
We're going through a similar thing at our credit union right now. The cu's bank account was "compromised", along with a buttload of others at the bank. We had to set up a new account for the CU and kill the old one. Lot's of "new school" mischief out there.

SergntMac
06-01-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm with CiTi also, and what's happened to me was the result of a keen and quick security system.

First, I called into the CS number and checked my balance and credit limits from home just before leaving for a road trip. A short while (but 300 miles away) later, I bought gasoline. Within an hour of that, I bought some stuff at Kenny Brown's in Indy, and Dennis Reinhart calls from FL. to tell me that a pending parts order came in, and I put that on the car too. CiTi put a stop on my card until they could talk to me. Once explained, it was cool.

PITA? Or good security?

BruteForce
06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm with CiTi also, and what's happened to me was the result of a keen and quick security system.

First, I called into the CS number and checked my balance and credit limits from home just before leaving for a road trip. A short while (but 300 miles away) later, I bought gasoline. Within an hour of that, I bought some stuff at Kenny Brown's in Indy, and Dennis Reinhart calls from FL. to tell me that a pending parts order came in, and I put that on the car too. CiTi put a stop on my card until they could talk to me. Once explained, it was cool.

PITA? Or good security?

Certainly a PIA when its a false alarm. They're just watching and comparing patterns. If the "normal" pattern is small charges in and around your billing address and suddenly it looks like a cross-country Thelma & Louise shopping spree, that will trigger a fraud alert.

baltimoremm
06-01-2006, 11:51 AM
I had my check card info stolen, they wiped out over 2k in 24 hours. M&T gave it all back, we just had to file a report w/ the local police.

natedog1284
06-01-2006, 12:50 PM

PITA? Or good security?

Good security, IMO. Paypal did the same thing to me when I went to transfer some money off my card one time. They stopped the transfer, locked out my account and sent me an email. The amount was a lot higher than it usually was, so it sent up red flags on their end. I was irritated at first, but when I thought about it, I'm glad it worked so fast. Seems worth it in this day in age.

ckadiddle
06-01-2006, 03:02 PM

PITA? Or good security?
It's both. Good security is never convenient. I'd rather be bothered once in a while than have my accounts raided.

GreekGod
06-01-2006, 05:51 PM
If I'm going to make a large purchase I call the CC people ahead of time and tell them. If I don't, they almost always call me to confirm my purchase.

LCSO34
06-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Also if you are planning to go overseas, call ahead to let the CC company know. Its a lot harder to call once you get over there. And also the wife gets called wanting to know who is buying shotguns in Turkey!:D

KillJoy
06-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Also if you are planning to go overseas, call ahead to let the CC company know. Its a lot harder to call once you get over there. And also the wife gets called wanting to know who is buying shotguns in Turkey!:D

Buyin' a Huglu....aren't ya! ;)

KillJoy

Bigdogjim
06-01-2006, 05:59 PM

PITA? Or good security?

No Mac it's a good move. I have CiTi also the card with my picture on it which is also a great idea. CiTi also has a card called CiTi click which is only for internet use.(no swip strip on back) Not tied to your other CiTi account. This is also a great idea. Only thing is I keep the credit line low as they always want/try to raise it.

DEFYANT
06-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Another neat little trick is to write "See I.D." on the back of the credit card in the sig block. ;)

gpfarrell
06-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Our Visa gets shut down occasionally.

I could understand when I bought an F250 with it, 1400 miles from home yet!

But other times, it's just been a few tanks of gas and some birthday presents and all of the sudden it quits.

The bank is very accomodating at turning it back on, but it's amazing how much I miss the cc after about 5 minutes.

My wife and I share one account (we max the points this way!). I'm thinking of opening another as a "spare" that I can use in an emergency should my primary card quit at the wrong time.

This level of security must cost the cc companies a ton... and the only reason they'd do it is because they must be getting robbed all the time.

Daily 03
06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Steve,
It was fortunate that you went back to Lowe's to make another purchase as this individual could have made a string of charges on your card further complicating your efforts to clear things up. When there are several charges on the card it can take 2 or 3 years to get things cleared up.

KillJoy
06-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Two or three years!!! OMG!

Yeah....it WAS a good thing I forgot some stuff....this time ;)

KillJoy