PDA

View Full Version : your new liver is currently atop a 1200cc sportbike on I-96

dwasson
06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
From: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2006/06/07/69237.htm

Mich. House Passes Controversial Motorcycle Helmet Repeal Bill Today
June 7, 2006

With hundreds of motorcycle riders outside the Capitol, the Michigan state House today passed a controversial repeal of a mandate for riders to wear helmets.

The legislation passed by a 66-37 vote and is awaiting the signature of Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

Insurance Journal contacted the Governor's office and her spokesperson Liz Boyd said that "the Governor supports the current helmet law and does not support the repeal." Boyd would not comment further and did not say whether the Governor will, in fact, veto the bill.

Several previous efforts at overturning the law requiring all motorcyclists to wear a helmet have failed. The Michigan mandate has been in place for 37 years.

Essentially the bill would allow riders 21 and older to go without helmets if they have been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least two years or have taken a safety course. An additional requirement would mandate that riders carry at least $10,000 in personal injury protection insurance.

Those supporting the legislation such as ABATE say motorcyclists should have the freedom to ride without a helmet. At least 30 other states, including some in the Midwest, give adults the option to not wear a helmet.

Organizations that oppose the legislation see the issue from a different perspective, saying not wearing helmets lead to more deaths and injuries, which will lead to higher medical bills and insurance rates.

"This is bad legislation--pure and simple, and no amount of political spin and rhethoric is going to make this a good legislation. You can't have good public policy by compromising on human safety." said Gary Mitchell, vice president of Public Affairs for the Michigan Association of Insurance Agents.

Each survivor of a severe head injury requires between $4.1 and $9 million in care over a lifetime, according to Mitchell.

Mitchell added that the number of accidents involving motorcycles has had a major impact on insurance and medical costs. Despite the fact that motorcyclists represent about 1.7 percent of the assessments paid into the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association (MCCA), they accounted for almost 5 percent of all medical reimbursements, he said.

As of June 2005, the MCCA paid claims on 503 motorcycle accidents, totaling more than $210 million. The average motorcycle claim paid by the MCCA was over $418,000 last year (up 71 percent from the $297,000 paid in 1994).

AAA Michigan also released a statement opposing the repeal.

"We are disappointed and saddened that state lawmakers undertook this course of action," said Jack Peet, manager of Community Safety Services for AAA Michigan. "It makes absolutely no sense to make optional the only validated personal safety device available to a motorcycle rider."

The statement said that "AAA will continue to oppose legislation that leads to unnecessary deaths and injuries on our highways at a cost that would be mostly borne by the citizens of Michigan. A 2005 AAA survey shows that nearly 90 percent of AAA Michigan members oppose a repeal of the state's mandatory motorcycle helmet law."

According to the U.S. General Accounting Office, a surviving patient with a critical head injury incurs an average of $171,000 in medical and convalescence costs in just the first year following the injury.
The financial burden placed on both the state and taxpayers for this so-called "freedom of choice" issue falls on most Michigan No-Fault insurance carriers. Unlike automobile drivers, motorcyclists do not pay for No-Fault insurance.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's list of safety laws by state ranks only Nebraska and Michigan as "good" regarding its current helmet legislation. Eleven other Midwestern states including Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and Iowa are all ranked 'poor."

In 1997, Arkansas and Texas repealed all-rider helmet laws, the next year motorcycle operator fatalities increased by 21 percent in Arkansas and 31 percent in Texas. Kentucky and Louisiana had similar experiences.

hdwrench
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
sweet! i might be in the market for a new liver :beer:

GreekGod
06-07-2006, 08:15 PM
An increase in fatalities should result in a corresponding reduction in long term care survivers.

Breadfan
06-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Safety issues aside, it's the repeal of a "nanny" law. Cheers to the MI gov't for letting the people try to think for themselves.

It wouldn't affect me - I'd never NOT wear a helmet on a bike. I don't think there is anyone who doesn't recognize the danger of not wearing a helmet.

dwasson
06-07-2006, 08:23 PM
I think that evolution requires us to allow people to ride motorcycles without helmets and drive without seatbelts.

Rider90
06-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Screw helmet laws...Let those who ride decide.

FiveO
06-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Awesome!

More organ donors. Hospitals will love it!

hdwrench
06-07-2006, 08:31 PM

yeah screw helmet laws. :)

BTW if you believe in the "ride bell" garbage, i'll let you know a GREAT majority of the wrecked motorcycles i repair have those bells on them... makes me think they work in reverse or the people that buy them dont know how to ride in the first place so they think if they buy a "good luck charm" all is well. :confused:

Rider90
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
yeah screw helmet laws. :)

BTW if you believe in the "ride bell" garbage, i'll let you know a GREAT majority of the wrecked motorcycles i repair have those bells on them... makes me think they work in reverse or the people that buy them dont know how to ride in the first place so they think if they buy a "good luck charm" all is well. :confused:
I've had one of those bells on my desk for over a year, never installed it yet...hmmm...

jefferson-mo
06-08-2006, 12:24 PM
WTF is a ride bell?

is that like that 'Loud Pipes Save Lives" BS?

dwasson
06-08-2006, 12:37 PM
is that like that 'Loud Pipes Save Lives" BS?

I think it should be, "Loud Pipes, Like Loud Stereos, Make Me Want to Run You Over".

SID210SA
06-08-2006, 12:42 PM
For those of you who like to ride w/o a helmut or a seatbelt in a car for that matter, Why...is it not cool to wear one...is it uncomfortable? Its always the other person you have to watch out for because they dont see you or they were distracted and boom....I work near an intersection that has a four way stop sign and everday there is at least 3 cars that either slam on their breaks or are just completly oblivious to it being there.....Now one of San Antonio's finest sits there about once a month and issues about half a dozen tickets...(people seem to run it more when he is there)....but is it worth it to you and your family to get a vegtable or worse in return because you did not feel like wearing a seat belt in your car or a helmut on your bike? Just a curious question....

dwasson
06-08-2006, 12:46 PM
For those of you who like to ride w/o a helmut or a seatbelt in a car for that matter, Why...is it not cool to wear one...is it uncomfortable? Its always the other person you have to watch out for because they dont see you or they were distracted and boom....I work near an intersection that has a four way stop sign and everday there is at least 3 cars that either slam on their breaks or are just completly oblivious to it being there.....Now one of San Antonio's finest sits there about once a month and issues about half a dozen tickets...(people seem to run it more when he is there)....but is it worth it to you and your family to get a vegtable or worse in return because you did not feel like wearing a seat belt in your car or a helmut on your bike? Just a curious question....

Shhhh! I may need some transplants in a couple years.

GreekGod
06-08-2006, 12:53 PM
I have always felt I should wear a helmet on my motorcycles. I have always used a seatbelt since before 1966 (as a passenger in my dad's '59 Ford) when I started driving. I now think it it might be time to require helmet use in automobiles, too! And ban smoking while driving! Seems like a ban on smoking with minors in the car is being worked on.

KillJoy
06-08-2006, 12:59 PM
My PERSONAL opinion:

The Government should have no say in an adult's personal life. If you are a legal adult, and do not want to wear a seatbelt, or wear a helmet, you shouldn't have to. It is your life, and your decision.

Same goes w/ a lot current issues. Religion, Marriage, Firearms.....

Some laws are good. I don't want a convicted murderer owning a Class III firearm, but why can a "good guy" not? I have no problem signing my life over to Uncle Sam to own a fun toy. But don't tell someone who they cannot be with, or pray to.......

KillJoy

Oh yeah....SMOKING! I don't smoke. But, here in Central Ohio it is illegal in most places. That hurts businesses. Hell, at least let them buy a license to allow smoking....kinda like a Liquor License. The Gov't has no place in that........ in MY opinion. Yours may very ;)

dwasson
06-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Hell, at least let them buy a license to allow smoking....kinda like a Liquor License. The Gov't has no place in that........ in MY opinion. Yours may very ;)

I'll go a little farther. If someone wants to open a place where smoking is mandatory, that's fine. It is a private business and govt doesn't have a right to force a business owner to ban smoking. Of course, smoking snould be banned in all govt buildings.

KillJoy
06-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Agreed. All public (Gov't, manditory access to all) buildings should be smoke free.

If it is a place you choose to go to (restaurant, bar.....) then it should be at the owner's choice.

KillJoy

Rider90
06-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I have worn a helmet for thousands of miles and on some trips I will not wear one. You cannot experience the full ride with a helmet and a windshield on, in my opinion. But that's okay, I can do what I choose, and I may or may not be an organ donor.

I have aftermarket loud pipes as of now, with louder pipes on the way. I hope you and I meet at the light when you're trying to talk on a cell phone.

GreekGod
06-08-2006, 04:19 PM
:lol:

[quote]:

.I have aftermarket loud pipes as of now, with louder pipes on the way. I hope you and I meet at the light when you're trying to talk on a cell phone
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know they say not to use a telephone during a thunderstorm. Could I get a jammer to send a painful current to the oblivious idiots that use the speaker function on their cell phones in restaurants? There oughta be a law....

dwasson
06-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I have aftermarket loud pipes as of now, with louder pipes on the way. I hope you and I meet at the light when you're trying to talk on a cell phone.

I hope we do too. I was serious about the transplant.

mrjones
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
The article is not quite correct when it says that TX has repealed all helmet laws. The law in TX is similar to the one mentioned in the article. The rider must have completed a rider safety or course or carry at least $10K in health insurance, AND go to the driver's license office with proof, and get a sticker for their license plate.

I still haven't seen one of the stickers on of the plates, but I have seen plenty of helmetless riders. One of my employees had a major accident when a blue haired 81yo turned in front of him. He was dead when they put him in the ambulance, but they somehow jumpstarted him again. I've lost my desire to ride without a helmet out on the road, and I've been riding for almost 40 years.

It is great fun to ride without a helmet, just probably not a great idea.

Mad4Macs
06-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I have no problems with riders going sans helmets
IF
riders agree to waive rights their rights to medical insurance.
When your brains are splattered on the pavement, why the %^#@ should I be the one funding your right "to enjoy the full experiance"?
You'd have to prove to me that insurance companies aren't paying out more for head injuries for helmetless riders before I'd ever think it was cool.

Rob1559
06-09-2006, 03:17 PM
You have to be brain damaged NOT to wear a helmet.

Hotrauder
06-09-2006, 06:02 PM
I take good care of my liver, give it a workout every day. Nothing but the best, no light this or blended that and certainly no non alcohol pretending to be fun stuff. Just so you all know that I don't want any of you working overtime to be sure that just in case my lobes go on the fritz I will have a back up supply. Along that same line be kind to yourself and yours and make sure that when the unexpected unthinkable, it only happens to the other dummy; happens it kills you dead. You wouldn't want to be an inconvience to your survivors, eh? Dennis:beer:

dwasson
06-09-2006, 06:25 PM
My liver has been very bad. I am punishing it.

MENINBLK
06-09-2006, 06:46 PM
My PERSONAL opinion:

The Government should have no say in an adult's personal life. If you are a legal adult, and do not want to wear a seatbelt, or wear a helmet, you shouldn't have to. It is your life, and your decision.

Same goes w/ a lot current issues. Religion, Marriage, Firearms.....

Some laws are good. I don't want a convicted murderer owning a Class III firearm, but why can a "good guy" not? I have no problem signing my life over to Uncle Sam to own a fun toy. But don't tell someone who they cannot be with, or pray to.......

KillJoy

Oh yeah....SMOKING! I don't smoke. But, here in Central Ohio it is illegal in most places. That hurts businesses. Hell, at least let them buy a license to allow smoking....kinda like a Liquor License. The Gov't has no place in that........ in MY opinion. Yours may very ;)

There are A LOT of people in this world with nothing but available real estate between their ears.
They do what they want without realizing the consequences of doing so, to themselves and to others.
THAT is the reason why we have a Government, why we have LAWS, and why we have LAWYERS.

YOU want to give them free reign without consequences ?
Go right ahead. Just make sure your name and address is on the bill for the responsibilities.....

GreekGod
06-09-2006, 07:19 PM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/2/1/9/0/cyclistbumATT144691.jpg

dwasson
06-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Ailing Americans Eagerly Await Summer Organ Harvest
May 17, 2006 | Issue 42•20

KANSAS CITY, KS—With spring in full swing and millions of potential organ donors entering the peak season for boating, hiking, and drowning accidents, the nation's transplanters are predicting a bumper crop in the upcoming harvest, which is welcome news to ailing patients in dire need of organs across America's liver-, lung-, and heartlands.

Having made it through another long winter on transplant waiting lists, Americans at risk of organ failure are looking forward to the start of summer, which traditionally provides the most ideal conditions for yielding ripe, tender, life-sustaining organs.

Early estimates from the United Organ Farmers Of America project a 12,000-ton yield from Ohio alone, the nation's Pancreas State, which leads the rest of the country in production of the digestive organ. Likewise, after a prolonged and crippling drought, the area of the nation's midsection nicknamed "America's Spleenbasket" appears poised to have a record season of alcohol-related deaths.

"All signs seem to indicate this will be a truly bountiful year for hearts and small intestines," said third-generation heart surgeon Dr. Thomas Menard, who presides over a five-acre hospital outside Lawrence, KS. "If these intermittent rain showers are sustained through the high-school prom and graduation months, we're likely to see a windfall of perennial car crashes."

"I've already got a large number of vegetables in the intensive-care unit that could be ready for harvesting in as little as two weeks," Menard added. "It's a really good yield this year."

In the Southeast, one of the nation's least productive regions in terms of organ yield, the hot summer months promise truckloads of hearty new organs.

"The recent heat wave here in Texas will really boost our already bursting reservoir," said Amarillo resident Edward Carey, a hepatitis C sufferer awaiting a new liver. "Usually we don't get too many livers in these parts, but with the high-school football preseason starting up, the number of vibrant young athletes dying of sunstroke should really turn our luck around."

"I plan to stock up on enough kidneys to last me through the winter," said Mandan, ND resident Grace Boylan, who suffers from lupus nephritis, an autoimmune disorder that causes antibodies to collect in the kidneys and cause inflammation.

"Sometimes you can find a kidney or two in October, or even November, but they're nowhere near as large, firm, and red as the summer variety," Boylan said.

Some ailing Americans, like David Braschi, a Los Angeles resident who suffers from urethral stricture disease, have been hoping for an abundant organ harvest for months. "It's been a long time since I've had a good bladder," Braschi said. "But if what I hear about seasonal spikes in gang violence is true, I should be able to get one I'm happy with by July."

Besides drought, many previous organ-harvests were also affected by disease and chemical contamination. Imported foreign organs are often found tainted with pesticides, particularly livers from Mexico and Central America.

Even in the organ-rich U.S., many lungs are contaminated with toxins such as tar, lead, hydrogen cyanide, and ammonia, and one out of eight livers tests positive for nickel and mercury deposits. Over the last decade, as much as one-third of the aggregate heart yield was rendered unusable by an atherosclerosis blight that permeated the organs with unsightly yellowish plaque.

"These days, you never can tell where you're getting your organs from," said Cleveland resident Howard Sullivan, whose body has rejected two transplanted hearts. "Apparently they're trying to develop organs from genetically modified and cloned pigs. In the future, they could even get them from stem cells."

Added Sullivan: "Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but for me, there's no substitute for an organic, family-grown heart."

Rider90
06-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Dang, now if only I was a donor... :D

CRZYBIKER
06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
My best friend died from not wearing a helmet while riding, but he was also going 125 miles per hour and crashed into the side of a horse trailor on a busy side road! A helmet would have only made him live a few minutes longer to feel the pain. A responsible motorcyclist is less likely to get into an accident than any car driver, unless they are a SQUID who can't KTRSD!** Seriously, I know I could more than likely injure myself in the marauder, there is a lot more to crash! I did have an A-hole run me off the highway, but he did it on purpose. I got a few minor scratches, but that's it. The organs donated are due to car motorists who do not know how to drive and pay attention, the bikers cannot be blamed. Instead of making bikers pay, make the car motorists care!

:)

**HAHA....biker talk.....

Mad1
06-11-2006, 06:36 PM

I think the insurance arguements are likely where this is headed.

You think the insurance cos. take a big bite out of your wallet for the marauder ... wait until they decide they want to "discourage" riding without a helmet and make it "mandatory" for your insurance to be valid. Then when you get a bad case of road rash or eat a bumper ... they'll be able to walk away from you without paying a cent, if you didn't have your helmet on.

Don't think it will happen? Heh ... spend some time like I did working in an insurance agency and golfing with visiting underwriters from the big insurance cos. They will find a way to protect their investment ... and if they can't, then no more insurance coverage.

The official motto of insurance underwriters is "I can't lose money by saying 'No, I won't insure you.'" That's because no amount of premium they could charge will make a bad risk be a good investment.

Mad1

GreekGod
06-11-2006, 06:52 PM
A friend of mine is retired from the Michigan State Police. They had a work-rule to always wear a seatbelt. Big problems for them if they got caught without! Even bigger problems if they had an accident and were not wearing a belt.

RR|Suki
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I can't even think of not havin my helmet on when I ride. It's just not logical, no matter what people say helmets save lives. I could see riding down the block or something but on a trip... or on the freeway. I say have two plates one for those who are gonna wear their helmets and one for those who want a choice... then maybe my rates won't go up even more :mad2:

grzellmer
06-11-2006, 07:48 PM
Assuming the number of motorcycle accidents is constant, you would think the insurance companies would support this bill. After all, the medical payout is zero on a fatality. Now the life insruance companies might have a problem with it...

From: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2006/06/07/69237.htm

In 1997, Arkansas and Texas repealed all-rider helmet laws, the next year motorcycle operator fatalities increased by 21 percent in Arkansas and 31 percent in Texas. Kentucky and Louisiana had similar experiences.

Fire95Z28
06-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Well my 2 cents is just this.
The only thing that a helmet determines at a high impact speed is whether or not the funeral is an open casket or not. Now as far as a high or low side accident it may save your life. But, I do beleive that it should be my choice. Helmets to me only give a license to be an ass. I feel GOD almighty with one on I do not beleive that at speeds of over 100 mph that A hyelmet is gonna do anything.

As for the ignorant loud pipes comment. You have no idea how many times motorists have heard my pipe and seen me. When my bike had no pipe on it a lot of drivers didn't hear me. To say that you would like to run them over, you are one poerson I would like to meet after you tried that with me. I don't knock your loud car so why would you say something like that?

Rider90
06-12-2006, 10:16 AM
As for the ignorant loud pipes comment. You have no idea how many times motorists have heard my pipe and seen me. When my bike had no pipe on it a lot of drivers didn't hear me. To say that you would like to run them over, you are one poerson I would like to meet after you tried that with me. I don't knock your loud car so why would you say something like that?
I guess you gotta ride a quiet bike before you could understand how many drivers are not looking for the motorcycle on the street. They have their stereo systems up dreaming of knock sensor lights (via post on this same board) and change lanes without checking their blind spots. Whenever I pass vehicles I downshift and crank it as I go by so the next irresponsible and unobserving driver knows where I am. Loud pipes get you noticed, positive or negative, I'm not riding to make other people happy.

RR|Suki
06-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Well my 2 cents is just this.
The only thing that a helmet determines at a high impact speed is whether or not the funeral is an open casket or not. Now as far as a high or low side accident it may save your life. But, I do beleive that it should be my choice. Helmets to me only give a license to be an ass. I feel GOD almighty with one on I do not beleive that at speeds of over 100 mph that A hyelmet is gonna do anything.

If you don't think a helmet will save you at speeds over 100 you are sadly mistaken.

Rider90
06-12-2006, 10:54 AM
If you don't think a helmet will save you at speeds over 100 you are sadly mistaken.
It depends if you hit something at 100 MPH, or fall off the bike and slide.

GreekGod
06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Hit from behind while on my 1973 Kawasaki 750cc H2 in 1977, I was found unconcious, 150 feet behind the Corvette (and my bike) that went into a guardrail together. My helmet kept my head injury to a mild concussion.

I never knew what hit me. Multiple witnesses on the police report stated the 'Vette was weaving through traffic at 100mph. I had just entered the freeway and was doing about 70. I assume I flew over the roof of the car and skidded to a stop. My rear wheel was egg-shaped where he center-punched the bike.

I also had blood in my urine from bruised kidneys and a few minor scrapes. My leather jacket also reduced my injuries.

There were two males and one female in the 'Vette that had just left a wedding reception where they had been drinking. It happenned at 2am. I had been a non-drinker for two years at the time.

I tell people "you can't kill a man born to hang". I also believe in guardian angels.

Mad4Macs
06-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Helmets to me only give a license to be an ass. I feel GOD almighty with one on I do not beleive that at speeds of over 100 mph that A hyelmet is gonna do anything.

Nothing gives you (or anyone else on public roads, for that matter) a "license to be an ass".
Driving on public motorways is a privilege, not a right, and NOTHING but NOTHING gives anyone the right to be reckless and irresponsible on them.
If that's the mentality of anyone driving the streets, then they really need to grow up.
:flamer:

dwasson
06-12-2006, 04:23 PM

I knock the loud cars too. Loud pipes aren't about safety, they're about being loud. If it was about safety y'all wouldn't be rapping the pipes under bridges.

dwasson
06-12-2006, 04:24 PM
I'm not riding to make other people happy.

You don't care, I don't care. Sounds like we have a concensus.

CRZYBIKER
06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
I once pulled into a gas station and had some girl approach me to explain she was about to pull right out in front of me a few miles back but then heard my engine and that saved the day. She came over to apologize because she thought I noticed her about to make my day really bad, even though I was looking somewhere else and did not notice. I commended her for the guts to say sorry and all was good. Since then, I am a believer! Loud pipes and helmets are a good thing.

Rider90
06-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I knock the loud cars too. Loud pipes aren't about safety, they're about being loud. If it was about safety y'all wouldn't be rapping the pipes under bridges.
The pipes beneath underpasses are just cool :D