PDA

View Full Version : Attempt to Steal MY MM

mdmarauder
05-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Went to drive to work this morning and found that someone tried to punch out the door lock cylinder. They didn't gain entry but ruined the door handle and dented the door.:mad:

Well it's time for an alarm I guess and a call to the insurance company.

DLoreanMARAUDER
05-05-2003, 08:00 PM
DAMN! that sux,
but hey i could have been worse, they could have actually got in and then just imagine:down:. Wher was it parked? didnt think anyone would have the bal*s. hope everything turns out ok!

UncleLar
05-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Get an ignition cut off switch and a pager to go with the alarm.

BlackHole
05-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Well there goes my cheap insurance. Did the Police get any good prints or not.

jgc61sr2002
05-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by mdmarauder
Went to drive to work this morning and found that someone tried to punch out the door lock cylinder. They didn't gain entry but ruined the door handle and dented the door.:mad:

Well it's time for an alarm I guess and a call to the insurance company. Get an estimate before notifying ins. company. Might be cheaper in the long run to have it fixed yourself. IMHO. Go for the LoJack system. This is the only way to go. John

vaderv
05-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Blackhole where do you live? Police in my area wont even look for a stolen car let alone investigate... Even if you provide detroit police with items the thieves left in you recoverd car. Got to love detroit cops.... protect and serve my butt.:mad:

mtnh
05-06-2003, 06:27 AM
Doesn't the PATS render a car unstartable without the proper key?
I know and old saying was "A Smith and Wesson beats four aces and a tow-truck beats Chapman Locks", but isn't that about the only way they are going to steal a car with passive anti-theft system?

Mike

mdmarauder
05-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Thanks guys but here in MD the police don't even take prints anymore. It was parked in front of my condo in plain view. My lincoln ls was out there for a year and nobody touched it, go figure. My deduct. is $250.00 and I know it's got about $1000.00 in damage. I'll be filing a claim since comp. claims don't count against you (I'm an insurance agent) I really do think if I had an alarm when they touched the numbers on the door the alarm would have scared them off. They obviously were not pros as they could not even get the door open.

prchrman
05-06-2003, 07:04 AM
sounds like punks just wanting a joy ride...hate it happened mdmarauder...you still have a running car...hope it doesn't cost you too much...raud on...

BigMerc
05-06-2003, 07:32 AM
The reason why no prints are taken any more, is state attorneys do not prosecute on prints taken on the outside of the vehicle. due to the defense anyone can touch the outside of your vehicle.
There are very few good surfaces on the interior of the vehicle to obtain prints, mirrors or smooth surfaces are rare to gain prints from, so its not a lack of initiative (sometimes) its the way the laws are prosecuted.

Mark [N4OGL]
05-06-2003, 10:27 AM
I don't know why anyone would bother with LoJack, since that system requires dedicated receivers in a police (or other) car to find a stolen vehicle. If they drive it out of a LoJack supported jurisdiction, then it's as good as gone.

Check out the Intertrack system (www.trackmenow.com), which uses cellular technology (pretty much nationwide, and certainly in all big cities) and GPS (everywhere) to locate a vehicle.

Plus - I like the ability to geofence a car. If I leave it at the airport, I can set up a perimeter that notifies me if the car moves outside the perimeter (even if they defeat the alarm). Or "dialing up" the car to unlock the doors or start it (which you can also do via Internet). Plus - I think it's a lot cheaper than LoJack. The On-Demand model (where you have to query the vehicle) is $49 for 3 years.

Check out the demo page, where you can track a live test car they have driving around in Texas.

BlackHole
05-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by vaderv
Blackhole where do you live? Police in my area wont even look for a stolen car let alone investigate... Even if you provide detroit police with items the thieves left in you recoverd car. Got to love detroit cops.... protect and serve my butt.:mad:

A little town 80 miles South of Cleveland. And they still take prints.

bchapman
05-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Wow - that Intertrack system is a parent's dream-come-true.

engine23ccvfd
05-06-2003, 01:01 PM
What do you mena comp claims dont count....Progressive jacked me twenty bucks a month for a windshield claim...bastards like I can help a boulder falling off a truck hitting the shield...luckily it was on my truck so I dont really care....

Anyway sorry to here about your car...wonder why they didnt just take out the window

jgc61sr2002
05-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by engine23ccvfd
What do you mena comp claims dont count....Progressive jacked me twenty bucks a month for a windshield claim...bastards like I can help a boulder falling off a truck hitting the shield...luckily it was on my truck so I dont really care....

Anyway sorry to here about your car...wonder why they didnt just take out the window Thats correct a claim is a claim, whether a winshield or major body damage. When you have three claims no matter how small some companies will surcharge you for up to three years or more. John

Patrick
05-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Glad you atleast still have her!!!!!!! And as far as Insurnace companies goes they do very. I go thru farm burea here in TN and only pay 600 yr. The best Progressive could go is $1425!!!!!!!!! Ans no accidents, no tickets yet ( Doing the 4:10 chips, stats, plug this summer) So we will see!!!

Bigdogjim
05-06-2003, 09:40 PM
mdmarauder: Some poeple! Sorry to hear about your mis fortune.
Best of luck with repairs.
Big Dog

CRUZTAKER
05-07-2003, 03:31 AM
Punched door lock=the work of ameture kids+daddy's flat tip screwdriver.

This is VERY popular in the ghetto multi-racial neighborhoods of Cleveland. It is NOT done to steal the car, it is typically done to rifle through the car for valuables. Even the loser kids know they can't steal a 21st century car with a screwdriver any longer.

PS: Alarms don't stop idiot punks from punching the locks,(I know this first hand), they will still punch the lock....then the alarm goes off....then the same result...=hole in the door and a whaling car alarm.

The solutions I found to work may not be the most feasable, but are damn well the most effective:

MOVE
PARK IN GARAGE
BUILD A GARAGE
MOVE
BUY A BIG DOG
PARK INDOORS
MOVE
BUY A GUN
GET AN ALARM
MOVE

I personally moved. There is no need to even lock up in the new and improved neighborhood.

mdmarauder
05-07-2003, 06:51 AM
Guys, first of all get rid of Progressive. We have them as a high risk company at my agency. They are horrible. Maybe some state laws allow insurance companies in certain states to do that. I know in MD, DC, VA they cannot.

As far as the MM, as it turns out I didn't have to file a claim. The damage was $175.00 under my $250.00 deduct. I was shocked.

New Door Handle $23.00
New Lock Cylinder $55.00
Re-Key New Lock $50.00
Labor $50.00

They put a dimple in my door under the keypad about the size of a pen tip. It didn't break the paint. The Body Shop Manager said if it was his car he would leave it as the only way to fix it was to re-paint the whole door. So I'll have to live with it. This sucks...

Blue Marauder
05-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by mdmarauder
They put a dimple in my door under the keypad about the size of a pen tip. It didn't break the paint. The Body Shop Manager said if it was his car he would leave it as the only way to fix it was to re-paint the whole door. So I'll have to live with it. This sucks...

Try Dent Doctor, Dent Wizard, or one of the other paintless dent removal companies. This is the kind of job they do best. I had a dent the size of an apple removed from the door of my truck by one of these outfits. They drilled two small holes (just big enough to get the paddles in) in the door jamb by the lock. Took about 30 minutes. No evidence of the dent can be seen and no paint damage. The guy did 3 dents for $100.

mdmarauder
05-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the idea, but the Body Shop showed one of those places the dent and they said no way. It's very very small and it pushes out not in. Could be why.