View Full Version : The Baddest 86 Daytona I've Seen This Week

dwasson
06-09-2006, 06:28 PM
From: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=175090

http://www.fototime.com/3F2B1D6BC862DCA/standard.jpg

Eric91Z
06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey, I used to have one of those...

Well, not quite like THAT one, but I did have an '86 Daytona Turbo Z. Fun car. Too bad you can't find nice FWD Daytona's around any more.

sdacbob
06-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I had an 85 Daytona Turbo, great car. Still have my 87 Shelby Charger GLHS and 87 Shelby CSX. Wish I never sold my 92 Dodge Spirit R/T. That was a great car!

BigCars4Ever
06-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Hey, I used to have one of those...

Well, not quite like THAT one, but I did have an '86 Daytona Turbo Z. Fun car. Too bad you can't find nice FWD Daytona's around any more.
I had an 86 Turbo Z also. You can't find any around cause they were built like crap. I never sunk so much money into a car just to keep it running and it was only three years old! The funiest thing was the time I got stranded in the rain on I95 in Mass. I got it towed to a service station just off of the highway. The mechanic shakes his head and said to me "We don't work on thise fuel infected cars here, you'll have to take it to the dealer on Monday." Turns out the EEC filled up with water. Just on of the many design/quality issues. But the car was a lot of fun to drive when it ran.

Bradley G
06-11-2006, 07:28 AM
My first new car, was the '83 Shelby Charger.(precursor to the Daytona)
I always liked the style of those cars!
Mine failed me once, in the middle of five lane highway.
I was tempted to purchace one again several months back.
It had a driveability issue(stalling) the owner was not able to fix.
This soured my interest.

Eric91Z
06-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Mine had a driveability issue when I got it. Would not start at times. The times it would not start the tach wouldn't move at all. Tried new plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc - no dice. I had a friend with an '90 or '91 Turbo Z that he hit a deer with and it overheated. Pulled the pickup out of the distributor and put on my car. Ran fine after that.

Then I blew a head gasket. New head gasket and radiator and it was good as new, but with rust at the back end, needed new rear brakes, e-brake lines, etc. But still loved the car. Loved the feeling the turbo come on, very comfortable, and handled quite well. Could actually power slide it around corners, without using the e-brake, like it was a rear wheel drive car.

BAD MERC
06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I haven't see a Dodge Daytona (remember Chrysler Laser too?) for a long time. I think their titles have an expiration date on them. That car is pretty much bone-stock except for the paint- right? Kidding aside- that is one serious project right there. Big high-five to the creator of that monster.