PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of vegatables without helmets

Mad1
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger Is Injured in Motorcycle Accident
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet when the crash occurred.

Story here (http://www.cbc.ca/story/sports/national/2006/06/12/roethlisberger-motorcycle-crash.html)with details

Good tidbits.

Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital, said Roethlisberger would undergo surgery for his injuries.

A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed from the crash scene and Roethlisberger's bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck.

A witness told Pittsburgh's WTAE Channel 4 Action News that Roethlisberger went over his handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle and then hit the ground.

The witness said she did not recognize Roethlisberger, but when she asked him what his name was, she said he replied, "Ben."

The woman also added that Roethlisberger asked her a series of questions, including where he was and what state he was in.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers to ride his motorcycle without a helmet, which is legal in Pennsylvania.

Those statements prompted Steelers coach Bill Cowher to lecture his prized quarterback about the dangers of riding without a helmet in May 2005.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time.

--------------------

This would be why most pro-sports contracts contain language about "avoiding" high-risk activities. Let's hope this doesn't void Big Ben's contract ... and it probably will be banned in his future contracts, if he can still play after this.

Rider90
06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Where does it say he was veggified? Sucks that there are a lot of stupid drivers out there. People who don't ride don't realize how many times motorcyclist's get cut off.

Breadfan
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
He wears a helmet in football, why not when riding a bike?

I'm sure getting hit by a 300lb linebacker sucks, but can't be nearly as bad as getting hit by a 3500lb New Yorker.

Mad1
06-12-2006, 01:34 PM
He was conscious and asking questions after the accident, so I don't think he's a candidate for organ donations yet. I was commenting on his perceived intelligence, not his actual physical state.

Certainly, it appears despite his decision to ride as "safely" as possible (i.e. in groups, during daylight only, with a neon sign on his head, or whatever rationales he wanted to make), that he was in an ACCIDENT on his motorcycle.

Saying the other person was likely at fault is at best more self-delusional thinking ... i.e. it won't happen to me. It doesn't matter who was at fault, except to the insurance company, because I'm fairly positive Ben is wishing he was wearing as much padding this morning as he does on Sundays. (And if this accident affects the Steeler's standing next year, expect to hear a lot more about it. Can you say, legislative opportunity to enact a helmet law?)

When I see a story where some person was ejected out of the vehicle without the benefit of their seatbelt or read about a motorcycle accident where there was no helmet ... then all I can think is "What a dumba$$!"

And don't get all sour on me either, I have had friends killed for exactly this reason (turned into an involuntary crash dummy) and will I stand by my opinion that deliberately ignoring a safety device, optional or not, is foolhardy.

Some people never learn until it's too late that there is truth to the adage, "Better to be safe than sorry."

Mad1
Jeremy

Mad1
06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
See photo of Big Ben on his ride (http://news.yahoo.com/photo/060612/photos_sp_afp/744c0d673999a8cc63155e8aa049ef 50/print;_ylt=AimX67Rg.CIkGg92CSY hpZoIO7gF;_ylu=X3oDMTA3bXNtMmJ 2BHNlYwNzc3M-).

Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash Monday and underwent surgery.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition Monday afternoon, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital. The player's agent, Leigh Steinberg, described the injuries to The Associated Press and said he did not know if there was further damage.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

Steelers president Art Rooney said the team was "encouraged by the early reports from the medical team" at the hospital.

"I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery," he said.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher. It was not known whether Roethlisberger was wearing a helmet when he crashed. (AP casts some doubts on the no helmet reports, only mention I've seen so far though.)

The accident happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at about 11:30 a.m. and a pool of blood (http://news.yahoo.com/photo/060612/483/4365c85508794f938faaf73c968918 2c/print;_ylt=AhB9Z1thoz.cExWYLir IdJHNaMYA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3bXNtMmJ 2BHNlYwNzc3M-) was still visible there by early afternoon. A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's black bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck. (Damage sounds consistent with the car pulling out or turning in front of the motorcycle.)

Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were investigating the crash, a standard practice when there is an accident with critical injuries. He gave no details on whether anyone else was hurt.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl title in February at age 23. Training camp for next season begins at the end of July.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment.

Some fans also gathered at the hospital, including Juanita Clark, who sells Steelers' paraphernalia, and her daughter. (Vultures!)

"I just feel like he's a family member," Loretta Clark said.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Mad4Macs
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Dang it! I was hoping that if he got hit hard enough, the Detroit Lions might have recruited him!
:lol:

duhtroll
06-12-2006, 03:13 PM
From what I have seen, it's the riders that are the problem. Too many teenage kids showing off, riding three abreast, weaving in and out of traffic, etc.. Think I see any of them in helmets? Not a one.

Now the bike gangs that pass through the state or attend events here, I'd bet 75% of them wear helmets, and they always ride the speed limit and appear to be very safe.

Not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is proof of Darwinism/natural selection.

Cheeseheadbob
06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
You are correct. With that said, a rider can not and will never be able to control the actions and reactions of these "stupid drivers." Why not control what you can, i.e. wearing a helmet and giving yourself a chance?
Sucks that there are a lot of stupid drivers out there.

RR|Suki
06-12-2006, 04:35 PM
You are correct. With that said, a rider can not and will never be able to control the actions and reactions of these "stupid drivers." Why not control what you can, i.e. wearing a helmet and giving yourself a chance?

+1 I get cut of constantly and know it would be a mistake not to wear my helmet

Hotrauder
06-12-2006, 04:41 PM
Sucks that there are a lot of stupid drivers out thereQUOTE

No argument here, but with that sure knowledge one has to question decisions that leave life altering circumstances almost entirely in the hands of these stupid drivers. My loved ones EXPECT me to use my best judgement to protect their interest. I hope the kid makes a full recovery and you who ride without a crash hat please give it another thought. dennis

O's Fan Rich
06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Sucks that there are a lot of stupid drivers out thereQUOTE

No argument here, but with that sure knowledge one has to question decisions that leave life altering circumstances almost entirely in the hands of these stupid drivers. My loved ones EXPECT me to use my best judgement to protect their interest. I hope the kid makes a full recovery and you who ride without a crash hat please give it another thought. dennis

I do hope he fully recovers, honest, but... next year after this season passes!!
Ravens got McNair... we may have a prayer this year.
I'm glad things were not worse for Ben, but I stopped riding 2 years ago. It's just not safe for bikes out there. I recall when I went through the Motorcycle safety course. The instructors stressed that it's not if you crash, but when. Thanks to the training I got, and wearing protective gear, 3 times down, no real injuries.
I'm done.

Mad1
06-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Roethlisberger exits surgery after serious motorcycle crash

Monday, June 12, 2006
By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The mood at Steelers headquarters is "reserved relief", according to Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette, reporting on Ben Roethlisberger's medical condition from the South Side.

Sports columnist Gene Collier provides an update on the condition of Ben Roethlisberger and the scene outside Mercy Hospital.

Crowd expresses concern, then shock, when Ben identified

Chat transcript: Jerry Micco discusses Ben Roethlisberger

Seriously injured Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger exited surgery tonight for treatment of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident along Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge this morning.

It was not known how long the procedure lasted, but an update from Mercy Hospital officials was expected within the hour.

Earlier, Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy Hospital addressed the media at 1:25 p.m. and said that Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition and was headed to surgery. The doctor did not detail the injuries, but a source said they included a broken jaw, chipped tooth, broken nose and head lacerations.

Jones said that Roethlisberger was talking, was coherent and was cognizant of the situation.

Police confirmed Roethlisberger, 24, was not wearing a helmet as he operated his 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa cycle.

Roethlisberger was injured shortly after 11:15 a.m. at the Second Avenue side of the bridge near the Armstrong Tunnel.

One Steelers source said Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks.

Steelers president Art Rooney II released a statement this afternoon.

"On behalf of everyone within the Steelers organization, I want to express my concern for Ben Roethlisberger. I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery. So far, we have been encouraged by the early reports from the medical team at Mercy Hospital."

Rooney's statement indicated that the Steelers public relations staff would pass along further updates as they became available.

Retired halfback Jerome Bettis, in California today, was keeping in touch with some people in the organization and said the reports he's received are that Roethlisberger will be fine.

"First, it's good to see he's not in bad shape, as a friend, and to make sure he's OK," said Bettis. "Another good thing is it is minor enough that it shouldn't affect him on the field this fall."

Sandra Ford, a Homewood writer and artist, was waiting for a bus near the bridge about 11 a.m. She saw a rugged-looking white man with curly hair on his motorcycle driving along the avenue heading toward the bridge.

In the opposite direction, a Chrysler was approaching and preparing to make the turn.

"I kept waiting for the motorcyclist to slow down," she said. "He never stopped and just plowed into the car."

The car, a New Yorker with Maine plates, was driven by Martha Fleishman, 62, of Squirrel Hill, who made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist. The motorcycle hit the car and Roethlisberger flew into the windshield and then hit the ground head first.

Roethlisberger was bleeding heavily from a head injury, and blood pooled on the pavement. The witness said he was not wearing a helmet.

The entire front end of the motorcycle, was destroyed. The car sustained damage on the passenger side door. Fleishman's husband, Martin, confirmed in a telephone interview that his wife was the driver but said the couple didn't want to discuss what happened.

"We really have no statement," Martin Fleishman said. "We certainly hope everything goes well for Mr. Roethlisberger, but we have no other statement. Certainly this is terrible and unfortunate. We hope he has a speedy recovery."

He wouldn't comment on his wife's physical or emotional condition in the wake of the accident other than to say, "She's doing as best as she can."

Ford said she believes Roethlisberger, who wasn't speeding, but going at a pretty good clip, never saw the car. "He had to be looking somewhere else, he just sailed across the intersection."

It was a crazy scene, said Ford, still shaken from the accident two hours after it happened. At the time of the accident, she did not know it was the Steelers' quarterback. She found out when she got home and saw the TV news.

Ford said that she heard a crunching sound and saw Roethlisberger fly from his motorcycle and into the car.

Afterward, Roethlisberger tumbled off the car and lay still in the street. "He lay so still, I thought he had died."

About 11:23, Ford began taking notes and talking to the driver of the car.

By this time, the driver had gotten from the car and asked Roethliesberger to remain still when he began trying to move.

"His face was all bloody. I saw blood pooling under his head," Ford said.

Police Cmdr. Thomas Stangrecki said that an accident reconstruction team would investigate the cause of the accident. A statement released late this afternoon said the probe was continuing and that no decision had been made about whether charges would be filed.

Police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin also stressed that accident investigations can take "weeks, not hours" to complete.

Roethlisberger has been known to refuse to wear a helmet when operating his cycle.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher addressed the issue with Roethlisberger in May 2005 after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow's accident riding a Suzuki GSX-R750 in suburban Cleveland. Winslow hit a curb in a parking lot and was ejected from his bike, injuring his knee.

"It's one of those things, where he talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker, I'm pretty conservative and laid back," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. "So the big thing is just be careful and that's what we do. I think every person that rides is careful. That's the biggest thing, I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we never ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think that makes it more safe."

While Winslow's contract forbade him from riding a motorcycle, Roethlisberger's contract does not prohibit him from riding motorcycles, even helmetless. The standard NFL contract prohibits risky behavior, but that is noat precisely defined. Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory helmet law in 2003.

"I think that's my own discretion," Roethlisberger said about not wearing a helmet when he rides. "Obviously, Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to."

During an interview last year, Steelers Hall-of-Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw offered one piece of advice for Roethlisberger about his motorcycle.

"Ride it when you retire. That's the way I feel. Those things are dangerous."

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

chuckled
06-13-2006, 11:47 AM
It seems that all one has to do is to straddle a jap crouch rocket and their brain disapears. I've been riding for over 40 yrs. and would not ride without a helmet. Did ride jap and limey bikes but for the last 20 years only Harleys, the only way to go. Hope Ben recovers and gives up riding.

ckadiddle
06-13-2006, 12:04 PM
My helmet weighs 4200 lbs and says MARAUDER on the back. :) I've only got three brain cells left and I need them to make more mod money.

GreekGod
06-13-2006, 01:41 PM
The 2 kinds of riders are those who have crashed and those who are going to crash.

Riding a bicycle or a motorcycle without a helmet is risky behavior.

We BMW riders are elitist and prefer to ride helmeted.

The typical Harley rider that goes without a helmet gives all other Harley riders a bad image. They aren't bad people, just a step below the elite. ;)

O's Fan Rich
06-13-2006, 03:23 PM
The 2 kinds of riders are those who have crashed and those who are going to crash.

Riding a bicycle or a motorcycle without a helmet is risky behavior.

We BMW riders are elitist and prefer to ride helmeted.

The typical Harley rider that goes without a helmet gives all other Harley riders a bad image. They aren't bad people, just a step below the elite. ;)

I always wore my helmet so no one could see how ugly I really am!!

If I'd have rode ( crashed) helmetless, I would not be typing this...

supa_carrot
06-13-2006, 07:43 PM
As a person with a few morals, it's good to hear he is doing well, or will be. As a Bengals fan I don't care.