PDA

View Full Version : Marine Modulars?

GreekGod
06-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Anyone know about Ford selling engines to Mercury Marine?

quotes from a thread on the Ford FE forum:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Unfortunately from what I've heard from the Ford Industrial Div the use of modern modular FoMoCo engines in boats has zonked out big time with continuous breakage and failures on test boats. The target marine market was officially dropped a year or so back."
(Mercury Marine)"The last Ford eng's they used were in 1977. 302's and 351's. Ford couldn't supply enough."

Has Ford screwed up again? Maybe Elena doesn't like boats (hydrophobia?)?

prchrman
06-13-2006, 09:59 AM
I work for BRP which manufactures Johnson and Evinrude outboards (Mercury's enemy)...we at one time sold inboards that used 302, 351 and 460s. 460 were called King Cobras...they performed well and had very few warranty claims...this was back in the late 80s and early 90s...this news is alarming since at one time they had relatively good quality...willie

Marauderjack
06-13-2006, 02:57 PM
King Cobras were terrible as far as fuel consumption is concerned....that and the additional weight basically killed them off!!:argue:

Mercruiser's 454's were lighter and more fuel efficient and then they got the bright idea of using the 502's.....Worse than the 460's!!:mad:

I had a 454 Merc and it was very strong as well as reasonable on fuel!! The boat was a 22 foot Stingray and at 35 MPH I burned 6 GPH. WOT it would run in the mid 70's on a cool day......BOY THAT WAS FUN....I MISS IT!!:depress:

Ford just never has been very big in the Marine engine arena!!:shake:

Marauderjack:burnout: