PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of the older Town Cars, i.e. '90-92?

Breadfan
06-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Just curious what you thought about the older town cars. Been toying with the idea of getting one as a commuter/beater as my Mustang is a bit small for daily drives and right now has no A/C.

I'd want one that runs good, doesn't smoke, has a good history, and working A/C. I'd probably look it over with a fair bit of scrutiny.

Seeing plenty of cheap ones in the 1990 - 1992 range. Not look to spend too much here which is why I'm finding that to be a good range. :)

I found a nice looking 1990 with a good price. In 1990 they had the 5.0 engine. In 91 or 92 they switched to the early 4.6 SOHC.

Is there a preference?

By the end of it's run, I presume the 5.0 was pretty reliable. How about the early 4.6's? Were they prone to issues?

Any transmission changes between years?

I'd like to get something that may need a few minor things but generally be reliable transportation. I know I've seen Town Cars with 250,000+ miles on them, so I am under the impression they are hard to kill. They're also big and comfy which is nice for me. :)

Here's one that caught my eye that is local to me: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=202448999&dealer_id=54376126&car_year=1990&mod_bookmark_id=null&search_type=both&make=LINC&distance=50&model=LINCTC&address=22315&certified=&advanced=&max_price=2500&bkms=1150393681174&min_price=11&end_year=2007&start_year=1981&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=7

kj31067
06-19-2006, 11:07 AM
i d cruise it........... i love big cars.........i dont fit in mustangs:D

jimlam56
06-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Having owned one, the only thing I'd say is there is a lot of wind noise due to the old manufacturing methods they used on the Town Cars. The door frames, weatherstripping etc. are essentialy unchanged from a 67 Galaxie type car!
I would stay away from the early 4.6 motors like the plague, they burn oil.
I believe they had valve guide issues.

Steering feel? None. You don't steer it, you point it...:D
That'd what the hood ornament is for, as a navigational tool.

merc6
06-19-2006, 11:10 AM
drive it and see if it's what you want. the 4.6 sounds like it was an accross the board issue unless you want to do a pi head and intake swap.

Dragcity
06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
I had a 1990 Cartier Town Car. It was GREAT car. Nothing lasts too lonmg in Buffalo, due to the salt on the roads in the winter.

Mechanically and electrically the car was in fabulous shape.

Mine had the 5.0 in it and had 128,000 mixed miles. Th only issues I had with the engine was a rotted out oil pan that had to be replaced at 65K.

Developed a small engine oil leak, I think it was the intake....

Drive trane held up well.

Front rotors warped often. The rotors are fairly whimpy for sucha big car....

The l\oad leveling system in mine was perfect, although I heard of a lot of them needing new bags, which arn't cheap.

Heater core went in mine at about 78K and was a ***** to replace. Took about 12 hours. The part cost $36..... It's easy enough to do, but very time consuming, the ENTIRE dash board needs to come off the fire wall to get to it.

A/C crapped out on mine at 80k, $1,200 as I was on vacation in NC and could not do the job myself.

Keep up on rear shocks and whatch front springs. One of mine cracked and lost one coil. The 90's were noted for that.... No biggie, there was only 1/3" difference in height from Left to Right side... Trunks are often overloaded on those, as they are sooooooo huge.

Owned mine for 10 years, as I bought it used.

Everyhting is really pretty easy to work on and there are a ton of them out there. Same style for 10 years.

Good Luck. FLA prolly has some nice ones that are solid and the A/C works....

Breadfan
06-19-2006, 11:58 AM
OK I've seen plenty of Town Cars burn oil, yeah, valve guides probably becuase they burn off idle coming off a stoplight usually. I wasn't sure if it was the 5.0's or 4.6's, but figured the 4.6's may be prone due to their early age at this timeframe.

Well so far some good stuff, I may go look at the car I posted later tonight if I have time. Wonder what kinda shape the A/C is in... :)

marauder307
06-19-2006, 12:01 PM
My grandmother has a 92-93 Signature Series. The car's led a pretty slow life; she usually just drives it around town...should say "drove". Over the last 2 years, her eyesight's gone bad, she's had a couple of strokes, and her mental capacity is clearly in the early stages of senility.

The car's in semi-rough shape. Just had bodywork on the passenger side done within the last 6 months; Grandma got blinded by a hard rainstorm and tore up the trailing edge of the front fender and front passenger side door against the protruding edges of an iron gate by the side of the road. Paint matches rather well; only a professional bodyman could tell the difference.
Front end feels loose and disconnected from the steering wheel, and despite being garaged most of its service life, the interior's pretty well worn. Good news is that otherwise, the car's in good shape. Electronics and power accessories all work, and the 4.6L is still game for the open road.

We've been trying to convince her to give it up, but it's not going so well.

I personally love the car; it's one of the major factors that convinced me to buy a Marauder. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're willing to be patient, I might have a Towncar for you in about a year's time...

GreekGod
06-19-2006, 12:13 PM
What you want is a decent one owner '90. The 302 is much easier to repair than a SOHC 4.6. You will love it if it doesn't turn out to be a lemon.

The airbags are possible to replace/repair easily, about $100 each for parts, last I checked.

hitchhiker
06-19-2006, 12:33 PM
I guess they are OK.

There sure are a lot of used CVPI's on ebay that would make good beaters for a reasonable price.

Regards,

Dave

:D

gohogs
06-19-2006, 12:50 PM
I had an '85 and an '87 that I bought new, and they both had 140K plus miles on them when I sold them, and still ran good. The '87 was quicker due to SPFI. I personally like the 85-89 body style and think it's still the classiest, but would go for an '87 or newer for the SPFI. Got 23-26 mpg on the highway depending on speed. Two of the best cars I've ever had. When they're well maintained, they are still head turners.

If you're tall, forget the moonroof. Takes out a lot of headroom. If I could ever find a low mileage, garage kept one again....I'll buy it.

Never could get comfortable in the newer ones. I'm tall, and the lower dashboard always cut me off at the knees.

Good hunting.....you won't be disappointed.

Zack
06-19-2006, 01:34 PM
I have a 1990 Town Car daily driver with 150,000 on it.
I bought it at a police auction 3 years ago with 120k on it.
It has been the best car Ive ever owned, hands down. Ive done the basics, tune up, brakes and tires, but expect to have to replace the intake manifold gasket, especially on high mile 5.0's. I use it as a pickup truck to haul ANYTHING. Motors, lumber, rock, you name it. The air suspension kicks in and it rides great!
Aside from all that it was the 1990 Motor Trend Car of the year.

Breadfan
06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys! This is great info!

Vortex
06-19-2006, 03:36 PM
My Dad finally sold his 94 Town Car a few weeks ago and wishes he had kept it. Damn thing could get I want to say around 26-28 mpg on the highway, ran like a top. The only problem he had was the rear air shocks went out (not cheap to fix) but that was it in 12 years of ownership.

Joe Walsh
06-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Mike, There was a real estate agent who had a big, black 5.0 Town Car that he would often drag race at 75-80 dragway.
It was his daily driver, that he drove prospective home buyers around in. He had a Paxton on it and was running mid->low 12s all day long!!!!:bows:
I loved to see that car run, and always thought that that 'big square barge' was the ultimate sleeper.

the_pack_rat
06-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Mike, There was a real estate agent who had a big, black 5.0 Town Car that he would often drag race at 75-80 dragway.
It was his daily driver, that he drove prospective home buyers around in. He had a Paxton on it and was running mid->low 12s all day long!!!!:bows:
I loved to see that car run, and always thought that that 'big square barge' was the ultimate sleeper.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .......

Gimmie

:drool:

RoyLPita
06-19-2006, 04:21 PM
I am getting a 1989 CV LX with the 5.0 H.O. conversion. It also has 3.73 locking rear, dual exhaust, and 140 mph police speedometer. From what I found out through the other sites, this one is the 1st to be done.

the_pack_rat
06-19-2006, 04:23 PM
I am getting a 1989 CV LX with the 5.0 H.O. conversion. It also has 3.73 locking rear, dual exhaust, and 140 mph police speedometer. From what I found out throught the other sites, this one is the 1st to be done.

Cool.

I'll have to take a ride in that beast.

GreekGod
06-19-2006, 04:40 PM
When the new TC body came out in 1990, my brother living in Las Vegas said they were very popular as taxi-cabs.

He bought a used TC and I drove it when I visited him. I was very surprised by the performance and good gas mileage of the SEFI 302.

He also has the 3rd Acura NSX built. I actually preferred the TC to the 1991 NSX, which I think was a $70,000 sports car when new.

I didn't like the cloth seats but they are easier on the skin than leather when sitting in the desert sun.

I recall reading that Roush was converting TC's to (street & emissions legal) 460 power. That would be a fun ride!

MarauderMarc
06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Older Towncars are really cheap. IMO the 97 was a great year. You dont have to really worry about the PI heads if youre not going to race or add alot of mods. My dad drives a 2000 towncar and mom drives the 97. They hardly drive the 2000 because the 97 is bigger, nicer and smoother. Could probably pick up one with @ 100k for 3k or less.

Tyrone Minto
06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Had to put down my 91 town car with 190k on it when the fuel tank leaked and the brake lines looked a little rusty. It was a great car.
When the 98 came out with the new body style, I went looking for a 97 and ended up finding a 95 with 10,000 miles on it. Both were 4.6.
Smooth and decent MPG. Rear brake drums some times heated up, but OK when replaced.
I would say check out the Air con and condition brake lines and then go for it.
A bunch of good ones in FLa for $3,500.

Breadfan
06-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks again for the inputs. I'm probably not going to move on anything for another month or so, I'm doing just fine with my current setup. I'm driving my Mustang everyday this week, it's do-able with no A/C, I fixed a wiring problem in the passenger door so now that window goes down - that helped alot!!

Heck I should be fine really, I drove a car with no A/C 80 miles a day for 3 years...well it had 4x60 AC. :)

Anyway, I do still want to look into something, especially if I move further out, so I may pick something up. i'm keeping an eyeon the TC's, the GM's, CVs and CVPI's in the low price range. I'm also peeking at the Jeep Cherokee's and fullsize Broncos.

Becuase aside from a daily beater, I want it to have AC and be soemthing I can toss the dog in and take him to the lake, or to my folks, without worrying about my Marauder's seats (which I cover if he's in), not to mention he doesn't like my Mustang, it's too loud. :D

StevenJ
06-21-2006, 11:29 AM
I am getting a 1989 CV LX with the 5.0 H.O. conversion. It also has 3.73 locking rear, dual exhaust, and 140 mph police speedometer. From what I found out through the other sites, this one is the 1st to be done.

I'll believe it when I see it at the Tower Shops j/k. Good luck with that!

PhastPhil
06-23-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm currently driving a '93 Towncar. I bought it last August when the motor in my '91 GM went. (anyone want to buy a 91 Grand Marquis cheap? I still have it.) I didn't think I would have it too long, but it is a good car. My A/C does not work. I replaced the rear air suspension with Ford coil springs and new shocks when the compressor gave up. The 4.6 gets better mileage than the 302. The 4.6 is 100 times easier to change the sparkplugs on since they are right on top. The car has four wheel disc brakes. The stereo is tolerable. A lot of them have a moonroof. The Towncar up til 97 is a very good car, and they have a strong following, and good network of enthusiasts to help with parts and advice. Checkout Lincolntowncar.org

Breadfan
06-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks, I was actually just thinking today if there were conversions to change the air shocks to standard ones...

Good to know!

RoyLPita
06-24-2006, 04:36 AM
Thanks, I was actually just thinking today if there were conversions to change the air shocks to standard ones...

Good to know!

I have done this mod twice before on both of my 92 GMLSHPPs. For $60, I could not beat the price for 2 new rear CVPI coil springs.

In fact, that is how I got the 2nd one. It was traded in with the rear near the ground.

Merc-O-matic
06-24-2006, 08:55 AM
I have a 1994 Town Car (Executive) with over 120K....still
runs like a "top" and gets 24-26MPG on the highway. Also
the original air bags/shocks still work. A/C ice cold...never been touched.
Interior like new....trunk doesn't get any bigger!
Only thing not working well is the driver's switch for the power seats.

Gotta Love It!:beatnik:

Drock96Marquis
06-25-2006, 11:46 AM
We used to have a 1990 Town Car; with the exception of brakes, the car was pretty trouble free. It had decent power too for a lo-po 5.0

91 was the first year for the 4.6, it uses the 'bastard block' casting to mate to the AOD. This was used until mid year of 92, upon which the AOD was replaced with the AOD-E. 91-95 4.6ls are prone to valve stem seal leakage (blue smoke through exhaust) as well as clogging EGR passages.

91 received minor chassis and steering updates from 90, 92 also received additonal steering system updates.

IMO, I would either go for a 90, or a 96-97. both of which can be had nowadays for pretty cheap.

Breadfan
06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
I know it's not a Ford, but what do you all think of this? It's big, cheap, and looks in decent shape, and right in my backyard.

Could get the job done...

A '92 Buick Roadmaster wagon...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=202170818&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=25&leadExists=true&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_7_%7CB-2000%7CN-N%7CR-30%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-22315&aff=boston

I could try to hold out for a '94-96 Roadmaster sedan, they have the LT1's in them. :D But I figure the 5.7l in the '92 is gonna be a TBI engine and they're pretty reliable, no optispark to deal with either.

marauder307
07-29-2006, 01:44 PM
My grandmother has a 92-93 Signature Series. The car's led a pretty slow life; she usually just drives it around town...should say "drove". Over the last 2 years, her eyesight's gone bad, she's had a couple of strokes, and her mental capacity is clearly in the early stages of senility.

The car's in semi-rough shape. Just had bodywork on the passenger side done within the last 6 months; Grandma got blinded by a hard rainstorm and tore up the trailing edge of the front fender and front passenger side door against the protruding edges of an iron gate by the side of the road. Paint matches rather well; only a professional bodyman could tell the difference.
Front end feels loose and disconnected from the steering wheel, and despite being garaged most of its service life, the interior's pretty well worn. Good news is that otherwise, the car's in good shape. Electronics and power accessories all work, and the 4.6L is still game for the open road.

We've been trying to convince her to give it up, but it's not going so well.

I personally love the car; it's one of the major factors that convinced me to buy a Marauder. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're willing to be patient, I might have a Towncar for you in about a year's time...

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd just tack this on to the end of this one.

Looks like the "year" passed kinda quick. This past Monday, my grandmother took a dive on her own kitchen floor...her hip's shattered. Between that and her steadily creeping senility, my mother has stepped in and has made the decision to sell the car outright. We'll be relying on support from her church and her bridge club to get her around.

Mom has already tested the waters in the Montgomery (AL) area; one of the local "Fast Eddie"-type dealers has made an offer of $1500 for it.

Anybody want a 1992 TC Signature Series, and would you be willing to do better than $1500?

If so, get in touch with me via this board, and I'll put you in touch with my mother. I can't actually do the sale myself because 1) it's not my car to sell, and 2) my mother is considered the executor of Grandma's estate. While she's not passed away yet, she is---as mentioned---gradually losing mental competence, and as such my mother is equally gradually assuming control of Grandma's affairs.

Let me know.:depress:

fast Ed
07-29-2006, 09:12 PM
FWIW, the 90 had a lot of oddball parts, since it was the first year of that body style, but last year for the 5.0 in the TC. Also, it was the last year for the old style one piece cast hub & rotors, along with rear drums, but first year for 4WABS on the Panther. So some of the parts might be expensive or difficult to get.

91 had the 4.6, but they also had the regular AOD, not the electronic version. 92 was when all the new stuff was on board.

cheers
Ed N.