PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye TBird

jimlam56
06-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Some of you may recall I picked up a pristine 97 TBird V8 with 44k for my oldest son (21) a few months back.
Well, the good news is that my son is ok, but it's totaled.
An old lady in an Escalade pulled out in front of him, and he t-boned it.
Airbags deployed, roof bent, the whole nine yards.
We paid higher than normal price for it because of the condition and low miles, so I am waiting for the royal screwing we will get from the insurance company. I was traveling to Raleigh when I got the call from my son, he was hysterical cuz he loved that car. You parents out there can imagine my frustration at being hundreds of miles away from your kid in a situation like that.
It would have lasted him 10 years, it was in that good of condition.
It makes me want to cry to think that a perfect car is reduced to junk because someone was not paying attention to her driving.
The only thing she said was "sorry".
Posting this makes me feel somewhat better, but not much.

MM2004
06-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Some of you may recall I picked up a pristine 97 TBird V8 with 44k for my oldest son (21) a few months back.
An old lady in an Escalade pulled out in front of him, and he t-boned it.
Airbags deployed, roof bent, the whole nine yards.
We paid higher than normal price for it because of the condition and low miles, so I am waiting for the royal screwing we will get from the insurance company. I was traveling to Raleigh when I got the call from my son, he was hysterical cuz he loved that car. You parents out there can imagine my frustration at being hundreds of miles away from your kid in a situation like that.
It would have lasted him 10 years, it was in that good of condition.
It makes me want to cry to think that a perfect car is reduced to junk because someone was not paying attention to her driving.
The only thing she said was "sorry".
Posting this makes me feel somewhat better, but not much.

You still will be able to give your son a big hug.

That's the most important. Still sucks, but your boy is alive.

Best,

Mike.

mr.continental
06-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Glad to hear your son is alright. The car can always be replaced, a child cannot.

Hotrauder
06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
You still will be able to give your son a big hug.

That's the most important. Still sucks, but your boy is alive.

Best,

Mike.

X2. Glad your boy is ok. God bless the crumple zone. Dennis:)

SergntMac
06-21-2006, 04:26 PM
X3...It was just a car.

And yes, I DO know what it's like to be miles away and helpless in situations like this. Such is life, and both your son and you will be stronger for passing through this milestone.

Best wishes, my friend.

jgc61sr2002
06-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Glad to hear your son is OK.:D

O's Fan Rich
06-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Dang...
Glad he's good. Mom done freaking out?
Shame you can't get the difference from the Escalade driver.

JMan
06-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Count your blessings! The T-bird was the sacrifice. Aren't you glad he didn't want a Sentra, Neon or a Cavalier? The story may not have the same outcome. Sorry for the loss, but considering the alternatives . . .
I'll keep an eye out for another T-bird for ya's.

J

fastblackmerc
06-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Jim, sorry to hear about your son & the T-Bird. As stated previously the T-Bird can be replaced, not so for your son..... but that was a sweet T-Bird....

Bluerauder
06-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Glad that he is OK !! :up: Looks like the T-Bird did its job.

My oldest son wrecked my '94 Thunderbird. :( He avoided the dog; but not the guardrail that took out the entire drivers side from headlight to taillight. :rolleyes:

jimlam56
06-22-2006, 04:17 AM
Jim, sorry to hear about your son & the T-Bird. As stated previously the T-Bird can be replaced, not so for your son..... but that was a sweet T-Bird....

That's right, Merc, I forgot you saw it when we had lunch while I was bringing it home from Tennessee.
Thanks to all for the consoling words.
I saw pics of it this morning, doesn't look fixable.
I'll post one later so y'all can see.

Marauderman
06-22-2006, 04:18 AM
Sorry Jim about the accident ...I remember your T-Bird story well for your son--for my wife has one just like it ---w/just 49K miles on it------and yeah , its not worth what it means to you ---as said already , it did its job---and glad it wasn't a smaller car he was driving-----chin-up---we all know thats why we drive larger stronger cars..........besides for the fun ...but also for the "just in case situations"....good luck on your recovery and glad your son came out well.....take care my friend..........Tom

RoyLPita
06-22-2006, 04:49 AM
Glad to hear that your son is ok. Keep me posted on a replacement vehicle.

Haggis
06-22-2006, 04:55 AM
I am also glad to hear that your son did not receive any major injuries. It is a shame on the T-bird, some drivers just don't have any common sense.

fastblackmerc
06-22-2006, 05:45 AM
That's right, Merc, I forgot you saw it when we had lunch while I was bringing it home from Tennessee.
Thanks to all for the consoling words.
I saw pics of it this morning, doesn't look fixable.
I'll post one later so y'all can see.
Maybe you can get that 3rd MM you've been wanting..... black or DTR?

MarauderDave
06-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Here's pics of the before and after. Terrible to see such a nice car, gone now.

the_pack_rat
06-23-2006, 09:00 PM
That sucks.

Glad you walked away ok.

jimlam56
06-24-2006, 03:00 AM
That sucks.

Glad you walked away ok.

Actually, it was his older brother.
Turns out the lady that hit him was the mother of a local judge.
She was not ticketed. Imagine that.

jerrym3
06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Took a few pictures of my three Tbirds the other day just before I dropped the 58 off at the new owner's house.

Three of us drove the cars to a local spot for a better picture. (I drove the 58, my daughter drove the 03, and my wife drove the 94 Bird.)

Maybe it's because I own one, but I think that the mid/late 90s Tbirds, especially from the rear, still look good. Mine's black, and I still think that's the best color for that car. I can't say enough about the great dash layout, 94s and up.

I installed the factory spoiler, otherwise the car is pretty much "out of the factory", and I still am not tired of washing/waxing it.

That's the true test to determine if you still like a certain vehicle. Still runs great at 131,000 miles (rebuilt trans).

MarauderTJA
06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident Jim. Glad to hear that your son is ok. Cars are replacable, sons are not. Really sucks though. Oh yeah, judges rarely get ticketed. Go figure.