PDA

View Full Version : How much trouble can I be in?

Motorhead350
06-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Alright something is going on that is really ticking me off and kinda got me scared. I do not own my Marauder, my dad does. I stayed home yesterday because I was sick and got 2 calls from Ford saying we owe money on the car and even a call last week at work. So Ford knows where my car is kept at night and during the day. I'm afraid of a repo so I was thinking of hiding it at a friends house (3 miles away) in their garage until they quit calling and get this worked out and I could drive my truck until then. Would I get in a lot of trouble of hiding the car? I DO NOT want this car gone especially because it's not my fault. :depress:

Rider90
06-27-2006, 08:38 PM
You didn't know money was owed, it was in your friends garage because you love the car and don't have the garage space at home. What phone calls?

:P

Motorhead350
06-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Exactly :D :D :D :whistle:

Dark_Knight7096
06-27-2006, 08:43 PM
You didn't know money was owed, it was in your friends garage because you love the car and don't have the garage space at home. What phone calls?

:P

+1, the burden of proof is on the state my friend! :baaa: :banana2:

MENINBLK
06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
If you are going to move the car, do it NOW and make sure no one is watching you.
Repo guys will break into a garage knowing that the car is inside.

You might want to put it up on cinderblocks too.

Then bring up the calls from FORD in a conversation to your Dad.
Can you help him out if he needs it ?

Motorhead350
06-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I told my dad last night. I wish I could do something, but I'm saving for someone very important thats coming up in about 7 weeks. I think I'll make the call to my buddy to make sure it's okay that I hide the car for a few weeks. This is so stupid.

bigmerc'03
06-27-2006, 11:01 PM
no i dont believe u can but i would hide it too

BruteForce
06-27-2006, 11:16 PM
So Daddy's paying for your car or is it Daddy's car that you just drive once in a while?

Its really very simple. Whoever signed for the loan promised to pay and if they couldn't they would return the car. Maybe it time to grow a pair and honor the agreement.

Mike Poore
06-28-2006, 02:59 AM
Perhaps your dad's sending you a 'round-about message? :dunno:

Is there a step mother involved, here? Could she be saying stuff to your dad like: Are you &%$#^ still paying for that *^%$^# kid's &%^$#^ car?

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Haggis
06-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Alright something is going on that is really ticking me off and kinda got me scared. I do not own my Marauder, my dad does. I stayed home yesterday because I was sick and got 2 calls from Ford saying we owe money on the car and even a call last week at work. So Ford knows where my car is kept at night and during the day. I'm afraid of a repo so I was thinking of hiding it at a friends house (3 miles away) in their garage until they quit calling and get this worked out and I could drive my truck until then. Would I get in a lot of trouble of hiding the car? I DO NOT want this car gone especially because it's not my fault. :depress:
Remember it is easier to get forgivness then permission.

If you want the car......HIDE IT!!!!

2003 MIB
06-28-2006, 03:20 AM
I'm saving for someone very important thats coming up in about 7 weeks.

I think you have to make a choice. Brute's right about the obligation to pay the loan.

TAF
06-28-2006, 05:55 AM
How 'bout instead of trying to figure out where to hide it....

Somebody make a &*#%ing payment on the thing...I HATE folks that "run" from obligations....

Makes the rest of us pay more....as was said above...you or your Dad need to grow a pair.

*end of rant*

chasrein01
06-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Talk to Ford, they're easy to work with. I'm guessing you mean Ford Motor Credit... they can defer the payments owed, rewrite the loan, or do other things to work with you. I've had my own "problems" in the past, but they have always worked with me, and we have 2 loans through them. Since they are still calling, they are still looking to help. If they stop, then you really have problems! Here, in Michigan, they send out a "Notice to Cure" before they repossess, giving you another 2 weeks to pay the missing payments, but in IL, they might not...

KillJoy
06-28-2006, 06:06 AM
I agree....step up and make the required payment(s), or let them reposses it.

If the payments have been made, and it is an oversight on FMC's part, call them w/ documented proof of payment (Bank Statement, Cleared Check).

If you hide it, you are only making the problem worse for yourself.

KillJoy

MM03MOK
06-28-2006, 06:12 AM
Technically, your Dad doesn't own the car either, the lending institution does. Hiding it doesn't solve the problem and your father's credit may have already been damaged. It takes 7 years to get ride of a bad credit report. Assess your priorities and make the call to work out a solution.

Mad4Macs
06-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Technically, your Dad doesn't own the car either, the lending institution does. Hiding it doesn't solve the problem and your father's credit may have already been damaged. It takes 7 years to get ride of a bad credit report. Assess your priorities and make the call to work out a solution.

Right on! Man, you really need to re-arrainge your priorities here, because what you're thinking of doing is going to hurt (someone) for a long, long time!

Dragcity
06-28-2006, 06:47 AM
You, Motorhead350, are a never-ending-saga...

My advice is to communicate with the aggressor and figure out what the heck is going on.

Advice to the young.......Ignoring (or covering up) a problem does NOT make it go away.

If you want to hide the car, go ahead, but be sure to figure this out promptly. It may be a simple fix, it may not, but you gotta figure it out.

Realize this too. Once you get rid of the problem, you don't have to worry about it anymore.....

And; Know Your Rights!.....All Three of Them...

wchain
06-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Hopefully Ford isnt reading this board.....

2003 MIB
06-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Hopefully Ford isnt reading this board.....

Doh!- yeah, that wouldn't be good.:(

O's Fan Rich
06-28-2006, 08:23 AM
One thing that is often forgotten is that credit companies are in the business to sell money, not cars. They don't want your car, they want the money they have coming and was promised to them. It costs them money to re-pop a ride.
Call them, and see whats up. Make a deal to get caught up, often it will not take the full amount owed to keep the wolves at bay. Do it, do it right away, it's your call to make.

Dr Caleb
06-28-2006, 08:26 AM
How 'bout instead of trying to figure out where to hide it....

Somebody make a &*#%ing payment on the thing...I HATE folks that "run" from obligations....

Makes the rest of us pay more....as was said above...you or your Dad need to grow a pair.

*end of rant*

:up:

You have a choice MotorHead. Is what you're doing in 7 weeks more important than your Marauder?

It's nothing to be embarrassed about. We've all been there before, spending beyond our means. I was out of work nearly a year, but still managed to hang on the the Marauder by the skin of my teeth.

But I decided when I was laid off; the first thing to go, should it be nessecary, was the MM. I had another car. I even went so far as o see what a dealer would buy it from me for. ($2500 less than I owed the bank, or $2300 more than I had on hand).

So it's a choice. You can go to your dad and say 'what I've been saving for is less/more important than the MM' or call the bank to come get the car. Don't hide it in your friends garage. That just makes it worse.

The bank still owns the car, and will find it one day. Don't forget that. It's their car until it's paid for. If you hid my car from me, I wouldn't appreciate it much. And they have a very long memory.

:twocents:

DefyantExWife
06-28-2006, 08:58 AM
I told my dad last night. I wish I could do something, but I'm saving for someone very important thats coming up in about 7 weeks. I think I'll make the call to my buddy to make sure it's okay that I hide the car for a few weeks. This is so stupid.

sounds like you've made your decision. Your "someone very important coming up" is more important than the car, according to you. You want the car or do you want to support your visitor who's coming? Wont he/she be bringing their own spending cash?

Let them take the car and start saving for your own.

SergntMac
06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
As it has been noted, this MM is not your car. Thus, under Illinois law, you have no right to conceal it from it's true owner, the loan company. You have no legal standing as a party of interest, and if you obstruct a court process, it could mean trouble for you.

Also under Illinois law, repo men have rules to respect as well. They operate under a court order to recover property. However, they cannot enter private property, structures, garages, climb fences, etc, to accomplish a recovery. The target car must be on the public way such as a street, highway, alley, or public access parking lot, etc. Sadly, no one seems to be watching when the repo man breaks the rules.

Trust me on this, they don't give up, or, go away until the loan company says stop. Once it's on the hook, it's their property, and they are obligated to return it to it's owner, the loan company. No LEO in Illinois will stop this, it's the law.

If you have to hide the car to keep it, what are you keeping? You can't drive it anywhere, the repo man will find you. One day, you'll run to Walmart, and have to walk home.

It's your dad's problem, not yours. Give him the help he needs and maybe someday the car will be yours to keep. If you can't do this, then stand back. Standing in the way of a repo man could cause you more problems.

Haggis
06-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Look if you really want to keep the car get yourself an '03 GM and switch the tags, the loan probably says it's a GM anyway and park it where you are sure they'll find it. Stash the MM until they repo the GM and your free. Oh yeah once they take the car, report the tags stolen. ;)

Dragcity
06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Haggis, Stop causing trouble......

2003 MIB
06-28-2006, 09:39 AM
As it has been noted, this MM is not your car. Thus, under Illinois law, you have no right to conceal it from it's true owner, the loan company. You have no legal standing as a party of interest, and if you obstruct a court process, it could mean trouble for you.

I don't know about y'all but it would seem that we aren't likely to get a more knowledgable nor informed opinion. Do the right thing, Motorhead.

Haggis
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
WHO ME???

...:popcorn:...

MAD-3R
06-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Run for it!! you can outrun most of the cop cars out there!! Mexico Baby, MEXICO!!!

mtnh
06-28-2006, 10:33 AM
It is also my understanding that the person that took out the note for the car is NOT released from the financial obligation to make that car's payments after it has been repossessed. I am not sure if it is still a monthly payment or if it is for the outstanding loan or lease balance, but I had a friend get divorced in NH and since his ex-wife could not afford the Bronco-II's payments on her own, they decided to not pay the loan and eventually gave the car up for repossession. When that happened, they were informed that they still owed ford credit around $9000 and then HE had to declare bankruptcy as the only way to clear the record. This was 1991 or so, and he has become responsible and has now owned 2 homes since repairing his credit. (moving to Pflugerville, TX helped bring the home affordability up compared to Massachusetts or New Hampshire, where he bought a virtual mansion for a measly $145K brand new, but still, he really turned things around.) Still a $32K car can have some huge payments and can become very burdensome, so I can understand how a loan can go in default. My hat is off to folks who know when to say enough is enough and dump the car in favor of the more important things in life. Allowing a repo is a very long-lasting scar, credit-wise, and could even perhaps split a father and son due to the money thing, which would be a huge mistake with most families.

In today's world, I would not rule out the repo man from searching the web for talk about a certain limited edition car, so this topic was probably best left unopened. :coolman:

Oh yeah, that seargentmac post was pretty well-written and very informative.

Mike

duhtroll
06-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Personally, I'd hide it WHILE I arranged to make payment. That way you work out the problem and in the meantime the car doesn't disappear. Cuz I'm sure they will be careful and use a flatbed to haul it away . . . :rolleyes:

I do agree that stepping up and paying is the answer. Those of us that work very hard for each dollar make our payments, too. No offense intended - I just think you have it pretty easy driving around a MM at your age. And this is coming from someone who had it pretty easy myself as a youngster. My car (that I was lucky to have) was a 12-year old LTD at the time. Now it seems lots of kids are driving around nicer cars than their parents.

It feels better when you earn it yourself, anyway. Ask me how I know.

magindat
06-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Run for it!! you can outrun most of the cop cars out there!! Mexico Baby, MEXICO!!!

Better fill the trunk with gas first!!!!

:stupid:

magindat
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
It's been touched here a few times, but here's the actuality of it:

If the car is repossesed willingly or forcefully the signer is still responsible for the amount due on the loan.

The note holder will dump the car as quickly and cheaply as possible. Usually at auction. The difference between what they sell it for plus their costs (repo men, auction fees, recording, title, etc) and what you owe will be charged to you. It's not like you just give it back and walk away.

It could look like this:

Owe: 25000
repo man: 800
Auction fees: 300
Title: 75
recording: 25
Auction price: 16000

You still owe the bank 10200 in this scenario.

Now you still have to pay for something you don't even have. The only way out of that is bankruptcy.

I'd call and negotiate some deferred or interest-only or rifinance to get teh payments down or something. It may be a little hard now and you may have to sacrifice a bit, but the alternative sacrifice is MUCH worse.

ckadiddle
06-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Join a credit union, refinance what's owed at their rates. I guarantee you it's much cheaper than Ford Motor Credit. You'll shrink your monthly payment size substantially.

MdnightMarauder
06-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah I would hide your car. And then get caught up with your payments! If you feel that something else is more important than your marauder you have serious isues! Stop having your daddy pay for your s**t!

whoskal
06-28-2006, 12:15 PM
:popcorn::shake:

GreekGod
06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
It's been touched here a few times, but here's the actuality of it:

If the car is repossesed willingly or forcefully the signer is still responsible for the amount due on the loan.

The note holder will dump the car as quickly and cheaply as possible. Usually at auction. The difference between what they sell it for plus their costs (repo men, auction fees, recording, title, etc) and what you owe will be charged to you. It's not like you just give it back and walk away.

It could look like this:

Owe: 25000
repo man: 800
Auction fees: 300
Title: 75
recording: 25
Auction price: 16000

You still owe the bank 10200 in this scenario.

Now you still have to pay for something you don't even have. The only way out of that is bankruptcy.

I'd call and negotiate some deferred or interest-only or rifinance to get teh payments down or something. It may be a little hard now and you may have to sacrifice a bit, but the alternative sacrifice is MUCH worse.

Never allow your car to be repossessed!...
What magindat said is true except the part where the auction sells it for $16,000. More likely, it will go for much less than wholesale and as he said, you still owe the difference!

jefferson-mo
06-28-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't know about y'all but it would seem that we aren't likely to get a more knowledgable nor informed opinion. Do the right thing, Motorhead.

after all he izzz the PO---LEECE

Blackened300a
06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
You should be on the phone with the customer service department of the bank that you recieved the loan from right this minute and figure out what happened!
Maybe its something like a computer error on their part or your check got lost in the mail. Or maybe a check was never sent out in the first place, Either way this is something that should be taken care of right away!!
I had a car payment check get lost in the mail and 3 weeks later I recieved a phone call about it, I actually panicked and made sure that a check was sent out the next day.
I dont ever want to go through having my car taken from me or my credit report tarnished.
Plus you know the repo man isnt going to care that this car requires a flat bed to tow it so damaging it would be something else to worry about

LVMarauder
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Can't be from a wealthy family on MM.net or else you get called names and chastized. So much for the "extended" family feeling.

duhtroll
06-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah, THAT'S it. :rolleyes:

He wanted an answer. The answer is "pay the *****ing bill."

I'm from a wealthy family, but I learned to not complain about free stuff or the lack thereof, and I certainly did not get stuff from parents past the age of 18, short of the occasional $25 in a birthday card.

Sorry for the age dig, but maybe when you grow up you'll understand.

As far as "extended family" feeling goes, consider me the uncle who's telling you that you're old enough to get your own place, your own job, and pay your own bills starting at 18, college or no.

Can't be from a wealthy family on MM.net or else you get called names and chastized. So much for the "extended" family feeling.

Bluerauder
06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Technically, your Dad doesn't own the car either, the lending institution does.
Yep, it's time to pay up. You can run ... but you can't hide .... forever !!! :rolleyes:

BAD MERC
06-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Let me handle this, I am a licensed repossessor. really! I don't know about the laws specifically where you are from but... in the state of Florida, repossession is a licensed and regulated activity (as opposed to those where you can be forcefully removed from your vehicle at a traffic light) that has guidelines. #1, Is your friend's house on the credit application? Those are the first places that loss prevention looks at. #2, even if you get caught up and relax your guard and begin putting the car back in the driveway- it can STILL be taken now that the lienholder knows that you're a flight risk if the payments get behind. #3 The repossession order starts immediately if you're a high credit risk and/or a first-payment default. If Ford Credit financed you- your credit beacon was probably high enough to give you about three months before seizure. In Florida, it is a first degree misdemeanor to conceal liened property. My advice- ask to defer a payment (place it at the end of the payment schedule) or ask them outright if they want to repossess it. Generally, a repo COSTS the lienholder money. The car is usually not worth the payoff amount, PLUS the repo fee (about $350.00 and up) and storage and administration charges. Most creditors WILL work with you IF YOU KEEP CONTACT WITH THEM!! Ducking out and hiding makes you look like a risk instead of an honest person. Think about it. Keep in contact with the lienholder and make arrangements to get paid up. Don't ignore the situation. It will not go away, but the car will.

SamF
06-28-2006, 04:46 PM
This isn't even your choice is it? It's the old man's car, what does HE want to do.

Three possible outcomes:

Make payment arrangements
Sell it, take a loss and make payment arrangements
Let them take it, take a huge loss and make payment arrangements

Anyway it's a pretty simple problem that only merits a simple solution. Nothing is free, you can pay them now or pay them later, same as everyone else.

MM2004
06-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Motor,

After choking on :popcorn: , I had to speak up by saying you post some of the damndest shat this site has seen since I have been a member.

Do you actually think you can hide and keep the car forever without paying for it?

Question,..

What the ***** is so important that you are considering hiding your car from Repo Man?

Mike.

RR|Suki
06-28-2006, 04:58 PM
This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen man, what are you thinking. Call the bank or give up the car, no not go running and hiding :down: :shake:

DefyantExWife
06-28-2006, 05:47 PM

:laugh: I couldnt believe he said that. Impressive, but yet I have the urge to roll up a newspaper and beat him with it. :rolleyes:

Logan
06-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Final word.

Pay your damn bills or call an make arrangements with the leinholder. Running from obligations is just going to make the problem worse, when as most have send, just making a phone call and explaining the situation will generally get you a month or two of leniency...