PDA

View Full Version : Your ipod SUCKS!

Motorhead350
07-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Finally found a record store today and got some vinyls. You can't beat that true sound music was meant to be heard on back when it was good. I got Johnny and The Hurricanes, Stray Cats and The Ventures. I feel really sorry for those who are missing out and not even buying music... they do something called download. Which means you have no collection of music, just all your tunes in your pocket. Nothing for anyone to look through, nothing for anyone to notice and say "Hey you like this band? Me too!" Seems like more care about quanity than quality. I half of the people I know with these ipod crappy things don't even know half of the songs in it.... just random stuff. Well I refuse to accept anything thats thrown at me. I value music and SOUND MATTERS. Sorry if I offended a few of you, but I'm just letting you know if you want a good sound, you don't get it from anything powered by batteries.

Dark_Knight7096
07-08-2006, 09:03 PM
I have 8 boxes of records, 2 walls of 8-tracks, and 5 boxes of CDs in my basement and 3200 songs on my computer, most of those songs are rips from the CDs i legally purchased but a lot of them are from other means as well. I do have a library of digital music, cant fit an entire wall in my back pocket now can i ;)

Record players can be powerd by batteries too :lol:

Just bustin ur chops man. I'm an audophile and a half, and to me that means embracing all technologies!! You should have seen me trying to figure out a way to wire an 8-track player in my 96 Mustang GT, I gave up when me and 3 of my friends (a wiring guru, a race car fabricator, and a metal fabricator) couldn't come up with anything.

DEFYANT
07-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes!

It has been a long time since I settled in my seat and dimmed the lights and listend to a good vinal record.

With the right equipment and a good record, the music will sound better than any CD.

Dark_Knight7096
07-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes!

It has been a long time since I settled in my seat and dimmed the lights and listend to a good vinal record.

With the right equipment and a good record, the music will sound better than any CD.

+1, I bought a nice Sony record player when I still worked at Circuit City for a rather nice discount.

Ryans PI
07-08-2006, 10:27 PM
My mom used to have a big record player before she moved. I never tried it, but there sure were a lot of records. Gotta love the smell of vinyl. :D

Bigdogjim
07-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Too bad I just dump over 800 LP's and 1200 45's. (mid 60's- early 80's)

They take up way too muck room and how many times can sit home and listen?

I have a high end record changer if your looking?

Mad4Macs
07-09-2006, 03:28 AM
My job places me in my car 4 to 5 hours a day, so when you find a way for your record player to replace my iPod, in my glove box, I'm all ears.
:flamer:

STLR FN
07-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Ahhhh Vinyl. My wife keeps asking me when am I going to get rid of my Kenwood turntable. I haven't given her an answer. So in the garage it sits(won't hook up to my current Sony system).

Dan
07-09-2006, 08:07 AM
You should have seen me trying to figure out a way to wire an 8-track player in my 96 Mustang GT, I gave up when me and 3 of my friends (a wiring guru, a race car fabricator, and a metal fabricator) couldn't come up with anything.

You're not so tough. You should see the record player that I installed on the dash of my Marauder. :lol:

Best,

Dan

STRYKERZR350
07-09-2006, 08:25 AM
i dont have a IPOD just something else to track you i like CDs better than mp3s.

duhtroll
07-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Screw all of that. If you want the best experience, go to the concert. Live music is better than any recording, and I mean for the experience. Take away live performance and all you need is a computer to produce our "entertainment."

What's on a recording for the most part today is not music. Why? It wasn't performed. It was sampled.

Vinyl is great until you try and listen to anything with any kind of dynamic range. It's a tradeoff - fidelity vs. perfection, but vinyl simply cannot handle the wide dynamic range of classical music, which btw was a primary impetus for development of cds.

Of course, trying to listen to anything at a soft dynamic in a running Marauder is pointless . . .

Now, if the recording process weren't designed to produce some impossibly perfect performance then with the tech we have available we could have some amazing stuff (like live albums but in studio, if that makes any sense).

Go hear a performance in person. It's better than any recording.

SergntMac
07-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Who over the age of 30 DOESEN'T have a record collection?

Remember when the argument was about stepping into the digital age, and the clarity and accuracy of digital, over the warmth and "aura" of vinyl?

Music is music, who cares how you get it done...

STRYKERZR350
07-09-2006, 08:40 AM
hey if it sounds good dont change the format.

DEFYANT
07-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Screw all of that. If you want the best experience, go to the concert. Live music is better than any recording, and I mean for the experience. Take away live performance and all you need is a computer to produce our "entertainment."

What's on a recording for the most part today is not music. Why? It wasn't performed. It was sampled.

Vinyl is great until you try and listen to anything with any kind of dynamic range. It's a tradeoff - fidelity vs. perfection, but vinyl simply cannot handle the wide dynamic range of classical music, which btw was a primary impetus for development of cds.

Of course, trying to listen to anything at a soft dynamic in a running Marauder is pointless . . .

Now, if the recording process weren't designed to produce some impossibly perfect performance then with the tech we have available we could have some amazing stuff (like live albums but in studio, if that makes any sense).

Go hear a performance in person. It's better than any recording.

I agree. The David Gilmour show I saw last April was 3hrs of auditory bliss!

Something is lost with the current music recordings. Probably where the sound is digitalized and processed thru a computer.

The older recordings have a "direct link" feel to the recording session. Original Masters Recordings are the best.

duhtroll
07-09-2006, 08:45 AM
You mean "age 40" right old timer? :D

I was 15 when cds came out. Almost my entire collection was cassette tapes and CDs. Sure I had a few albums, but not more than 20-30 of them by the time I switched over to tapes.

Why? Tapes didn't skip if you were roughhousing with your siblings in the living room and you could tape your friends' stuff. REAL music piracy was having to borrow the album and tape it, then write out the label by hand. :) That and I could eventually play them in my car, as soon as I got one of them high end car stereos with more than two speakers and a cassette player. :P

Who over the age of 30 DOESEN'T have a record collection?

Remember when the argument was about stepping into the digital age, and the clarity and accuracy of digital, over the warmth and "aura" of vinyl?

Music is music, who cares how you get it done...

Mebot
07-09-2006, 09:36 AM
I have two Technics 1200 direct-drive turntables, a Behringer VMx300 3-channel mixer and 4 crates of records that span from 1941 - 2006. Music is still pressed onto vinyl these days. i usually buy new records from overseas record shops in England or The Netherlands.

Motorhead350
07-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Go hear a performance in person. It's better than any recording. Performance wise yes if the band is good. The sound is not always best and nowadays you have to ware ear plugs so you don't go deaf. I don't know how to get a whole band into my car unless we could use the trunk minus the organizer, but then the sound wouldn't be as good.
Oh Mad4Macs there actually is something out there that can convert your records to CDs! ;)

SergntMac
07-09-2006, 10:23 AM
You mean "age 40" right old timer? :D No...I meant 30, that's why I said 30.

The last album I purchased new in a retail record shop was in 1986, therefore, I conclude that teenagers mature enough to purchase albums in 1986, are now in their 30s. I might be from the old school, but 20 years ago is still 20 years ago...

BTW, a mere 20-30 albums still defines "collection"..."teach".

duhtroll
07-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Sure. Now I can say I have a collection of Marauders. :)

I'm betting most people my age and younger, and even slightly older do not have a record collection - they threw them out or sold them long ago, if they didn't have just tapes to begin with. That was the point, savvy?

Now, those 40 and above would not have had that choice in what they bought.

Would you say I have a "plethora" of pinatas? :P

No...I meant 30, that's why I said 30.

The last album I purchased new in a retail record shop was in 1986, therefore, I conclude that teenagers mature enough to purchase albums in 1986, are now in their 30s. I might be from the old school, but 20 years ago is still 20 years ago...

BTW, a mere 20-30 albums still defines "collection"..."teach".

Motorhead350
07-09-2006, 10:34 AM
I was born in the wrong era. :mad2:

duhtroll
07-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Let the young'uns sit right next to the speakers. I sit up the hill a ways so as to be able to avoid the crowd and still hear the music.

Any computer can convert records to CDs. All you need is an RCA input on your audio card. Barring that, use an adapter for your microphone input and voila.

Performance wise yes if the band is good. The sound is not always best and nowadays you have to ware ear plugs so you don't go deaf. I don't know how to get a whole band into my car unless we could use the trunk minus the organizer, but then the sound wouldn't be as good.
Oh Mad4Macs there actually is something out there that can convert your records to CDs! ;)

the_pack_rat
07-09-2006, 10:59 AM
My father, before my time(in the mid/upper 1960's), was a partner in a record store in NYC, so my father/parents had tons of LP's which I still have packed away to this day.

As a young teen in the early/mid 80's when I really started getting into music ..... I found it quite amusing when I heard something from the 60's early 70's era that I liked, only to come home & find that very song or album on an original issue LP in my parents collection.

I remember breaking out some original issue Les Zeppelin LP's & listening to them with headphones on. You have never really got the best listening experience of Whole Lotta Love & Dazed And Confused, to you have done so on an original issue from back in the day on headphones.

The headphone experience was nothing short of phenomenal. The vocals & instruments would come out on different channels. If you were to shut off the right or left channel ..... the song would actually be incomplete & missing stuff. Now the same could be noticed simply listening to it thru speakers .... but having the headphones on, was it's own experience all together, hearing it all up close w/o other background noise, how the different elements were "pieced" together between the (2) channels so to speak. A lot of the older original issue recordings I came across were like this. Santana, Crosby Still & Nash, Jimi Hendrix, Chicago, Cream, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Chicago Transit Authority(later simple known as Chicago) etc etc.

The "split" & "alternating" of the sound between the (2) channels is really cool with headphones on. Again ..... I can't stress enough how bad azz it sounded listening to Whole Lotta Love & Dazed And Confused on headphones.

If you got an old, original issue LP laying around & some headphones ...... check it out for yourself.

I generally don't notice this to be the case with modern recordings.

Dark_Knight7096
07-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I was born in the wrong era. :mad2:

Actually I was thinking that all night last night, "Wait, time out. Did a 20 year old really just post on a board where the mean age is over 30, telling people that records were better than MP3s?"

LOL all good though, I'm a fan of all mediums, music is music. Concerts are good only if the band is good live. Some bands really suck live. Either they change the songs around, only do different mixes of their songs, or they are so digitally enhanced while making an album that they sound little to nothing like they do on the album or just plain horrible (cough)Linkin Park(cough).

I like LP but Chester cannot do the high Metal scream in real life, it is digitally enhanced on the albums, when they are live it's like a high pitched voice without the yell. Some of the first few tours they did he sounded good but as of late it's just horrid.

marauder307
07-09-2006, 01:01 PM
You mean "age 40" right old timer? :D

I was 15 when cds came out. Almost my entire collection was cassette tapes and CDs. Sure I had a few albums, but not more than 20-30 of them by the time I switched over to tapes.

Why? Tapes didn't skip if you were roughhousing with your siblings in the living room and you could tape your friends' stuff. REAL music piracy was having to borrow the album and tape it, then write out the label by hand. :) That and I could eventually play them in my car, as soon as I got one of them high end car stereos with more than two speakers and a cassette player. :P

I don't have a vinyl collection either...I don't remember exactly when I saw my first CD---think it was about 1986 or so, which would put me at about 15 as well. In the span of my mere 35 years of existence I've seen cutting-edge music tech go from 8-tracks to cassettes to CDs (still have Bruce Hornsby and the Range on CD, my first one) to MP3s to IPods.

Wonder where it'll go next...

My dad still has every Beatles album on vinyl...big drawback for LPs: when you're a military family---like we were---gov't movers tend to put your stuff in some non-climate controlled places. When we moved to Riyadh in 1977, our stuff sat on the docks in Jiddah for nearly 2 months---in the middle of a Saudi Arabia summer. John Lennon started sounding more like Ringo Starr afterwards...happens when the record warps in Arabia heat...

SergntMac
07-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Sure. Now I can say I have a collection of Marauders. :)

I'm betting most people my age and younger, and even slightly older do not have a record collection - they threw them out or sold them long ago, if they didn't have just tapes to begin with. That was the point, savvy?

Now, those 40 and above would not have had that choice in what they bought.

Would you say I have a "plethora" of pinatas? :PA "collection" of Marauders eh? Got more than one? And, why would you dabble with what words mean, teach? If you had spit out your rationale the first time, rather than tease me with some "old man" nonsense (which you seem to enjoy from both younger, and, older members), why didn't you just say so? Wait...You're not British, are you? That said...

Unless I missed something, -A, you own one Marauder. I've got two Marauders, so, to express this correctly, I should say that I have "a set", "a brace", or, "a couple of" and get my message across clearly. Since I also owned one before the #1x purchase, I could also say "I've owned a few". Likewise, since one of them is clearly a collectable, I could also say I have a "collection", but I believe this would be stretching things a bit, even at one. You want the definition of "plethora" or "pinata"? Look 'em up, teach...

What I find interesting in the history of the growth from vinyl to tape and later to CD, has little to do with the technology itself, or, the inherent quality of the medium or instrument of transport. As I recall it, c-tapes failed rather quickly, in comparasion to the life of an album, or, later CD technology. The reason I don't have many tapes today, is because they don't have a shelf life of vinyl, or, CD, and they wear out, decompose, or just break, and soon too. This contributted to the demise of the 8-track, and it killed cassettes (when it was time to execute them).

Moreover, this transition in media was fed by...Guess who?

Yep...The automotive industry. I ordered my 1984 Oldsmobile from the factory, with one option in audio entertainment. The stock offering was an AM/FM radio, front and rear speakers. The single upgrade option was a Bose based AM/FM/C-Tape in 4 speaker "stereo". Once it was there in the dash, I started making copies of my favorites, but continued to buy albums. I did buy a few original tapes rather than the albums, but mostly due to impulse want of the tunes, and diminishing availability of "records".

Again in 1987, I ordered a Chevrolet Caprice from the factory, but now, the stock offering was the AM/FM/Cassette Tape in 4 speaker "stereo". I don't recall my options, but I was pleased to not have to pay more to maintain my present status in mobile music.

My 1992 Crown Vic, and my 1994 Lincoln Town Car Signature were also stock AM/FM/C-Tape in 4 speaker stereo configuration purchases, and I didn't see a CD option until my 1997 Mountaineer, a sweet set up with six speakers, 6 CD changer in the center console (boy, I wish it was there now), and 50 watt sub, all from JBL. That was a badazzed system from the factory, but my '98 and '00 Mountaineers came with Ford's version, the "Mach" audio option. I later wrote them a letter, telling they they spelled it wrong, it's "mock", but I digress...

My point is, that this was a way of force-feeding the public to follow one particular carrot. You could argue that it was only manfacturers meeting market demands, but I find it less subtle than that. Putting the "play it now" device in the car at the owner's fingertips, fuels the drive to market by the consumer. If you really want to change something, and believe that the long term market will sustain profit through a side door, give it away now and get it going, and they did just that.

If you want to see this happen again, look at DVD, sattelite and I-Pod options on new cars, and what's stock on what cars today, and what is not. It's happening right in front of your eyes.

I just finished helping a friend close a deal on a 2006 Mountaineer, and the decision maker between two very good and even-steven deals, was that one came with a one year paid subscription to sattelite radio and easy access I-Pod port. Go figure...

Just my .02C folks, but what do I know. Carry on...

duhtroll
07-09-2006, 04:07 PM
A "collection" of Marauders eh?

Right. My collection currently has one MM. The first entry in the word's definition is "act or process of collecting."

So technically, I do have a collection. That was my point. (Of course I wouldn't call it as such, either. It was a bit of humor for those who have seen "Three Amigos," but I guess that joke was lost in translation.) Just as I wouldn't really call 20-odd records a collection. Seems to me a 'collection' should be impressive as to number, value, or rarity, and mine had none of these qualities.

As far as tapes go, fail more often? Really? I remember having 80 or so cassettes on the back floor of my '76 LTD where they resided, without cases, for the better part of three years. In the sun, cold, and even rain when I left the windows down, under passengers feet, spilt be- er, Pepsi and ice cream and fries, and they would still play. Broke one only once, and glued the tape together and got a small warble in the intro of Billy Joel's "Piano Man." That's about it. They still play today. Well, the ones I still have, anyway.

A vinyl album took much more care, IMO. They certainly also degrade over time, as well. But then again so do CDs, in a much worse fashion.

Every kid I knew had tapes, not records, once cassettes started becoming mainstream. They were durable and portable, and the tape/radio walkman was the favorite tool for school. It was the dawn of the CD, and nothing of the tapes themselves, that caused their extinction.

Just my experience.

MENINBLK
07-09-2006, 05:55 PM
If anyone in the New York vincinity wants to digitize their Vinyl, let me know.

I have access to a Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite PRO.
This baby has a Phono pre-amp built in, so we go from needle to hard drive.
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14064&nav=technicalSpecifications

We can record your vinyl @ 24 bit 96 kHz,
and clean up all of the hiss and clicks.

Then from the 24/96 track, we can either rip WMAs or Audio CDs.

These CDs will sound better than any pre-recorded CD you can find...

DEFYANT
07-09-2006, 08:49 PM
If anyone in the New York vincinity wants to digitize their Vinyl, let me know.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14064&nav=technicalSpecifications

These CDs will sound better than any pre-recorded CD you can find...

Now this is tempting!

BTW, I still have my tapes from the 80's. Originals and homemade copies. They reside in my 89 F250 right now and perform just fine in the stock radio.

natedog1284
07-09-2006, 09:16 PM
My job places me in my car 4 to 5 hours a day, so when you find a way for your record player to replace my iPod, in my glove box, I'm all ears.
:flamer:

Uh, actually, that's already been done, long before the 8-track even came around, (first available in 1956). ;) The following link shows one of the many options that was available on my 1960 Imperial Crown, which is currently under restoration, (FYI, other options included auto-dimming headlights and rear view mirror, and automatic swiveling seats, to make ingress/egress easier). Enjoy!

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Accessories/HiWay/60Spotter.htm

-Nate

P.S. In case you didn't believe me about the seats: http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1960/Brochure/Page05.jpg.

younga1
07-09-2006, 10:18 PM
http://www.billsrecords.com/

SergntMac
07-10-2006, 04:37 AM

These CDs will sound better than any pre-recorded CD you can find... Wasn't this the argument 20 years ago? Most vinyl supporters cried loudly about loosing the "warmth", "color" and "character" of records, to the newer technology. The made the same argument in defending their tube amps over more efficient technology.

What's changed?

dwasson
07-10-2006, 07:05 PM
Wasn't this the argument 20 years ago? Most vinyl supporters cried loudly about loosing the "warmth", "color" and "character" of records, to the newer technology. The made the same argument in defending their tube amps over more efficient technology.

What's changed?

I think that pure new vinyl is capable of delivering superior sound. But in the real world, the fragility of vinyl means that you must use digital processing to correct errors and eliminate cracks and pops. CDs eliminate those problems and, properly recorded, will produce the best compromise of sound and utility available today.

MP3s are convenient but the bit depth is substancially less than CDs. I think that the spread of MP3s will kill Hi Fi. There are fewer large sound systems sold every year. Younger people will have grown up seldom hearing music played through a well designed home system. Headphones, computer speakers, and car stereos are the typical way music is heard by many people. In that environment the deficiencies of the MP3 format won't be noticed.