PDA

View Full Version : Houston, we have a problem

Mad4Macs
07-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Finally! After 7 weeks in Texas, I got a free minute, hit the 'net and decided to tour the Johnson Space Center :banana:
Question for you Texans? How the heck can anyone say that the JSC is "in" Houston? I mean, it's nearly 40 miles from here :D
Anyways, I had a great day. I hit all the tourist-y stuff, spent lots of cash, took the tram tours, and once again, MARVELLED at the sight and size of the Saturn V. If anyone here hasn't seen a Saturn V in person, just do it. JSC is fully restoring theirs inside a building erected around the rocket, so you can take a little time inside an airconditioned facility and appreciate just what a feat of engineering it really is.
Man, I just hope I live long enough to see a manned mission to Mars!

DeadVic
07-09-2006, 03:06 PM
it's in houston city limits. Everythings bigger in TX my friend.

Mad4Macs
07-09-2006, 03:41 PM
it's in houston city limits. Everythings bigger in TX my friend.

Thanks for reminding me! If anyone does visit, WEAR LONG PANTS, no matter the temperature, or prepare to be eaten alive by some of the biggest mosquitoes since the Paleolithic Era! One man on my tour looked like a piece of bloody meat after he started swatting his legs.
:lol:

SID210SA
07-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Welcome to Texas.....Hope to see you at a Chuck's cruise some time...

Mike

Mad4Macs
07-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Believe it or not, even though my office is in Houston, we do contract work in San Antonio.
Today, I set up a video production lab with 21 Dual Core PowerMac G5's there. 400 miles travel, 3 hours of work, and a HUGE Ka-Ching! ringing in my ears.
I LOVE MY JOB :banana:

Ross
07-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey, Mad-- what part of Houston are you in? I live in the SW and work in the Galleria.

Mad4Macs
07-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Living in the Galleria for now, Westheimer/Fountain View area, work's on the North Loop, near W TC Jester.
Still trying to decide whether I should move closer to our clients in Bryan (not likely) or those in San Antonio.
All in all, I like the Galleria, as it's a good place to see how the "other half" lives

00 Aggie
07-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Wow, I just moved from Westheimer and Augusta (next street east of Fountainview)! Its a great area, go to Fountianview Cafe for pancakes!

Mad4Macs
07-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Can you imagine driving to Bryan (just past College Station) twice a week, and San Antonio once a week! Our office is in Houston, so I rack up major milage.
So far, I've discovered Ron's Pub, Woody's Icehouse, The Richmond Arms and a couple others, but haven't dined out much, so I'll try the pancake house soon, thanks for the tip! :D

00 Aggie
07-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I went to school in CS, its not that far!

Mad4Macs
07-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah, maybe not in "Texas miles", but it's a 185 mile round trip from my office!

00 Aggie
07-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Far is Lubbock, or Colorado! Get a beater (actually thats what I use the MM for!)

Ross
07-17-2006, 06:51 AM
"Texas miles" is a whole different way of measuring things. You may have learned by now that, depending on which direction you are traveling, it can be 30 or 40 miles just getting through Houston.