PDA

View Full Version : FTP uploading vs email

the_pack_rat
07-12-2006, 06:23 AM
The home office is open .......

I need to send a bunch of photos to someone for something that was sold.

There are (24) photos & most all are 200+ KB in size.

Considering the # of photos & their size ... he suggested I could upload them to an FTP server of his, instead of emailing them.

While I really don't have any reason to think there could be any thing funky going on here, I don't know this person , other than being involved in this particular transaction.

Is there anything I need to concern myself with in regards to personal security ?. I do run virus/security software that does have a firewall.

Just want to be sure my computer can't be compromised in any way.

Thanks.

KillJoy
07-12-2006, 06:39 AM
You always run the risk of a virus when connecting to something online.

Make sure you have updated virus definition, a firwewall running (Microsoft's is OK), and perhaps an anti-spyware program (once again, Microsoft's is OK).

I would be more concerned of who this person is, how sensitive the photos are, and where this FTP server is located.

If you are OK w/ all three, then there should be no problem. That is about 5MB of photos..... not too uncommon by today's standards.

Personally, I would probably just EMail them.

KillJoy

duhtroll
07-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Burn a CD and drop it in the mail. No possible virus problem.

the_pack_rat
07-12-2006, 09:53 AM
I ended up emailing him the pics.

blackf0rk
07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
I know of no FTP Servers that have the option to auto-upload something to someone who connects; same goes for FTP clients. Nothing's going to auto-upload to you via FTP.

MM2004
07-12-2006, 01:05 PM
I know of no FTP Servers that have the option to auto-upload something to someone who connects; same goes for FTP clients. Nothing's going to auto-upload to you via FTP. (ftp://ftp.)

What ^^^he^^^said.

File Transfer Protocol.

Should be OK.

Mike.