PDA

View Full Version : Possible light mod... comments?

Donny Carlson
07-12-2006, 08:23 PM
As one of the first (if not the first) owner on here to install underbody security lights on my MM, I am likely going to install a kit on my Harley F-150 (thanks Shakes!). I have to pass this by the guru of all things automotive electrical, Jason at Team, to see if there are any issues, since the kit was designed for a different generation F-150.

Anywho, my Altec Line of Fire has worked out well, i am considering having Jason install a pair of Altec Screamers to each side, between the chrome bars and the underside of the doors. I haven't decided if I want these to come on with headlamps/parking lamps, or just be keyed into the underbody lights, meaning they come on only when the keyfob is pressed or the door opened from the inside (tied into the interior lights). I don't think there are any MVR issues with amber side marker lights.

I realize this may have a whiff of rice about it, but the guys over on the truck boards dig this kinda stuff.

http://www.altecproducts.com/img/screamer-web_big.jpg

TAF
07-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I'd be more hip to these if they were white light....are they going to be red?

DEFYANT
07-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Why not hook up a set of MM undercar lights?

Donny Carlson
07-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I'd be more hip to these if they were white light....are they going to be red?

No, they are amber. Side marker lights are okay as long as they are amber.

Donny Carlson
07-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Why not hook up a set of MM undercar lights?

I am, I am.

I have to see if there is a way through to the cabin for the wiring. MM's (and CV's , F-150's, Expeditions, etc) in 2003 have a place to run the wiring up to the fuse panel. I'm not sure about '06 F-150's. The underbody lights need to be tied into interior lights to work properly.

shakes_26
07-12-2006, 10:10 PM
Donny, FYI, the kit has at least 16" (some were longer) pigtails from the weatherproof connector, so the connection could be made inside the vehicle. You could use weatherproof butt splices should the grommets prove to far away to do that.

In any case the harness I built is ridiculously extra long for the MM, but may be at the limit for the F150. I can get my hands on one next week if Jason isn't able to get you an answer. We can use you as the tester for a longer harness, easy enough to do, but I believe the existing harness and brackets will work well with the F150.

rocknrod
07-14-2006, 09:54 PM
You'll need a 20 mule team and larger wheels:D

blkwidowmerc
07-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Why not hook up a set of MM undercar lights?what are mm undercar lights