PDA

View Full Version : Help, I'm Lost

Hotrauder
07-13-2006, 07:30 AM
I know that there are GPS users on the board. I would really appreciate all the input I can get on GPS units. I have been looking at Garmin street pilot models and TomTom. Any help? any opinions or experiences? I appreciate any thoughts you might have as I am lost everytime I leave my drive way. Mapquest in not my friend. :D Thanks. Dennis

DEFYANT
07-13-2006, 07:35 AM
I use the Garmin 2620. It is not the top of the line or state of the art, but for getting around it is great.

I paid around $400.00 new from ebay.

MAD-3R's Wife
07-13-2006, 07:49 AM
I have used a Garmin (don't know which model) for a cross country road trip. It worked pretty good. It's the same one that my mother-in-law uses whenever she leaves town (she's a traveling consultant). She tried a TomTom but couldn't figure out how to get it working right.

To me the Garmin seems pretty user friendly.

Bluerauder
07-13-2006, 09:01 AM
... but for getting around it is great.
Except for certain neighborhoods that will remain nameless !! :rofl:

The wife has the Ford factory installed Navigation system (don't know the actual manufacturer) on her '06 Freestyle. I really don't need it; but I do like to play with the map and mess with the woman in the glove compartment always telling me to "Make a Legal U-Turn". ;) One of the best features is finding restaurants and other points of interest when you are in an area that you don't know well.

I believe that Mike Poore has one of the aftermarket systems on his daily driver that he likes alot. :up:

DEFYANT
07-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Except for certain neighborhoods that will remain nameless !! :rofl:

The wife has the Ford factory installed Navigation system (don't know the actual manufacturer) on her '06 Freestyle. I really don't need it; but I do like to play with the map and mess with the woman in the glove compartment always telling me to "Make a Legal U-Turn". ;) One of the best features is finding restaurants and other points of interest when you are in an area that you don't know well.

I believe that Mike Poore has one of the aftermarket systems on his daily driver that he likes alot. :up:

Ok Mr. Funnybones!

:lol:

It works great when there is actually have a road where a road is supposed to be!! :P

The 2620 also does not warn of traffic or closed roads and exit ramps. The newer GPS's do. But now the price is close to, or more than $1000.00.

You can not rely only on the gadget. The GPS snafu Blurauder refers to was compensated for with common sense of direction.

Mike Poore has the Garmin 2620.

magindat
07-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Dennis,
Unless you want to have the ability to pull the system out and use it in another car, I highly suggest you go with the Pioneer Avic Z1. I'll even help you install it. It would be cleanest and best looking as well as integrate with the car's own speedometer and give you a couple of neat guages to boot. Yeah, it's not cheap, but you also have a zackster spoiler....
You could then (if you haven't already) do speaker and/or subwoofer upgrades. I am very happy with my Avic D1. The Z is the latest version. You could also maybe pick up a D on a clearance for a lot less because it's an end-of-life product. There's also a D2 available. They WILL integrate with steering wheel controls.
Check out this link:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/division/demo/0,,2076_310069681,00.html
PM me if you'd like to go this route or want more details.
Glad to help...
Rich

quota
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Dennis,

:) I use a Garmin "Streepilot i5". My wife has the "i2" model, B/W screen.

:cool4: Regarding accuracy and capabilities, the "i5" is fantastic. Fast re-routing, clear sound, sharp colours and quick finding of satellites. I live in the Laurentian mountains, far from the highway, at the end of a long (and bad) driveway. My cell phone signal there, shows only 1 to 2 grades (on a maximum of 5). Believe it or not, but that little "i5" finds my position within the 20 seconds after being switched on. I prefer the "i5" to the "i2" because of the colour screen. The "i2" is performing the same way, but its B/W is less sharp and definitely less attractive. A priori, the screen looks small while actually the dimension is just perfect, at least in the way it is installed (see the following).

:rolleyes: Regarding handling, this is just superb. I installed it with the suction mount on the top of my windshield, just between the inside central mirror and the roof. In this way, I did not have to modify anything on the dashboard. That installation is particularly convenient because the screen is just above the driver's eyes within the scope of the central mirror. In that way, it is not exposed to the sun, neither to the view of thiefs. The cable was installed by the dealer and comes from the central roof console just on the right place so I can plug it and unplug it anytime I want. Actually, I have the same system in my LSE 2003 Grand Marquis and I use the same GPS in both cars.

Two drawbacks :
- with that intallation, the GPS must be unplugged if my passenger wants to make some input or research,
- no bluetooth capability (I solved this issue with another portable device).

:mad: I must say that I had before a smart "factory made" GPS in my FX45 Infinity.
Large screen (but located in the middle of the dashboard), no possibility to input data while driving (even for the passenger) and mapping limited to 30 miles around of Montreal (when going North). A crap. Expensive, but a crap.

I cannot "recommend" it as I do not know what you actually expect from it, but in my case, I find it just ideal !

JP

Hotrauder
07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the valuable information. I am inclined to a portable unit that I can move from one car to another and I am not interested in DVD, ect. in the dash. The stock head unit is fine for what I want. Most of my car music comes from the car not the radio. :D I had a Garmin moving map unit at one time so I know what that company can do. I think the Street Pilot units are about what I need. Thanks Dennis

Logan
07-13-2006, 04:32 PM
I use the Garmin 2720, take it with me with travelling and from vehicle to vehicle. It's a great little unit.

My SRT8 Jeep has a nav system, but the garmin will always be in my travellin' backpack and handy for the wife's vehicle...

Lowell
07-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Go to www.drivehappier.com (http://www.drivehappier.com). Check out the z1 and the d2. The z1 is pimp daddy.:beer:

quota
07-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Dennis,

:shake: Another drawback that I forgot to mention regarding the "Streetpilots" i2, i3 and i5, is that there is not possible connexion to services warning you or eventually rerouting you when traffic jams or accidents occur on your initial way. I guess that some of the "Streetpilot 3xx" models offer that possibility. But these are too large for being installed like I did with the "i5".

If you are not in need of that capability, then the "i5" remains the most versatile, reliable, accurate and affordable GPS on the market.

Friendly, JP

Mad1
07-16-2006, 05:49 AM
It works great when there is actually have a road where a road is supposed to be!! :P

The 2620 also does not warn of traffic or closed roads and exit ramps. The newer GPS's do. But now the price is close to, or more than $1000.00.

You can not rely only on the gadget. The GPS snafu Blurauder refers to was compensated for with common sense of direction.

I had a funny experience last week that relates to this.

I live in a river bend, where the river surrounds us on 3 sides and the only way in is out the "top" of the bottle. Our street, Old Hickory Boulevard, is part of a loop that runs around Nashville's perimeter. However, when you turn down through the bottle-neck to where I live ... there is a sign: "ROAD ENDS IN WATER - 5 MILES"

And they aren't kidding. If you take that last turn around a stand of trees ... the road become a boat launch and you could very easily go swimming in your car. In fact, there used to be a ferry crossing there, and there is a matching ramp on the other bank, where Old Hickory Blvd. continues. This was the only way across the river on this side of town until they built a new highway bridge over the river many years ago, which of course put the ferry out of business.

Back to our story ... While I was out working in my yard, a delivery driver for an appliance store stops and calls out to me. Turns out his GPS-delivered directions kept insisting he could "cross" over the river to the other half of Old Hickory Blvd, but after the aforementioned sign and a good dose of common sense ... he avoided the plunge.

Mad1
Jeremy

sailsmen
07-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Garmin Street Pilot.

Tried Magellin but all it did was tell me how to get to the Interstate.

Rob1559
07-16-2006, 05:53 AM
I have a tomtom rider that I use for my Goldwing and MM. Very happy with the perfromance.

Tallboy
07-16-2006, 06:04 AM
I use the Garmin 2720, take it with me with travelling and from vehicle to vehicle. It's a great little unit.

My SRT8 Jeep has a nav system, but the garmin will always be in my travellin' backpack and handy for the wife's vehicle...

...anything but Carfixer's coal-fired gps is fine with me...:D

Hotrauder
07-16-2006, 07:10 AM
...anything but Carfixer's coal-fired gps is fine with me...:D

Anything better than Mapquest which I believe if Buffalo chip fired.:beer: I have found what I think is a good buy on a Garmin 2720. New, delivered for $580 from an authorized Garmin dealer. Anyone know a better price? Dennis

quota
09-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Dear Hotrauder,
If you decide to go for the Garmin Streetpilot I 2-3 or 5, AND to place it on the top of the windshield between the roof and the central mirror, just take care of removing the batteries (assuming you will have built a 12V connexion), otherwise it would fell down because of its weight. It did not fell anymore (despite of the bumpy roads of Quebec) since I emptied it from its batteries.
JP

TAF
09-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm getting this Nav System installed soon (it's all I can afford :( )

CLICK HERE (http://www.dump.com/oukqe/)

BK_GrandMarquis
09-22-2006, 10:42 AM
I have the Garmin Nuvi 350 and my friend has the Street pilot 2820.

Both are good for their own reasons. His is waterproof and he needs it because he uses it on his motorcycle too. It also has the Breadcrumb feature that comes in handy sometimes.

I like the Nuvi 350 because it's small enough to carry around in my pocket. There is a new 660 version with a larger screen. It's nice for the screen size but that also makes it less portable. The 660 has a built in Bluetooth and FM traffic receiver though. Since the new 660 came out, the older model 350 and 360 models have dropped in price.

They both use the same mapping software.

quota
09-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Dear Todd,

You tone sounds sad. It should not. I am using 3 "streetpilots i2 & i3". Not only they work great but they also look good. Especially when being fixed to the top of the windshield. I had before all kinds of GPS devices which were too big & heavy. Further, the majority of these could be not be placed in a safe, close way.

JP

wchain
09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Meninblk and I both use the Garmin C320. works well.

baltimoremm
09-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Just a quick side note. If you get a system, I'd recommend that you get the unit, or at least the base somehow attached rather than using suction cups. The ones with suction cups are easy targets for theft and are in plain view. Also, most auto insurance policies do have coverage for aftermarket accessories, but have an exclusion for accessories that are not permanantly attached with a bolt or bracket.

BlueMarauder
09-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I have used a Garmin Street Pilot III for about three years and recently upgraded to a 2720. The new unit is excellent. Specifically, the screen is very clear even in a sunny day. The unit allows many settings depending on your needs. For example, the screen changes mainly to words when the unit is speaking. The words remain for awhile. This allows a quick glance if you did not hear the voice instructions. The 2720 has some buttons in addition to the touch screen. The traffic option is $60 a year--after buying the extra antenna for about $130.
As a side note, I had a Nuvi 350 for about one week. I returned it. The screen washed out in the sun. Although a personnal preference. the screen was too small to adequately read.

ik04
09-27-2006, 11:14 PM
I had a funny experience last week that relates to this.

I live in a river bend, where the river surrounds us on 3 sides and the only way in is out the "top" of the bottle. Our street, Old Hickory Boulevard, is part of a loop that runs around Nashville's perimeter. However, when you turn down through the bottle-neck to where I live ... there is a sign: "ROAD ENDS IN WATER - 5 MILES"

And they aren't kidding. If you take that last turn around a stand of trees ... the road become a boat launch and you could very easily go swimming in your car.

Mad1
Jeremy

When I first moved to Fort Campbell/Clarksville in 1998, I tried to drive the full length of Old Hickory Blvd. I couldn't believe the road was long enough to encircle all of the North and East of Nashville and the surrounding communities.

I took a quick look at the map and set out... Seeing the sign and the end of the road explained a lot about the traffic flow and why people didn't travel that part of the road very often- it is under water!

It was funny then, too...

Kevin

prchrman
09-28-2006, 03:28 AM
I have an old Garmin Legend...about $160...no bells or whistles...nothing fancy...but cheap and gets the job done...if there is a location I do not know I just go to maptech and find the coordinates and punch them in...willie