PDA

View Full Version : Defyant Computer!!

DEFYANT
07-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Can one of you computer smart people help me out please?

I forget how to change a setting on my Dell laptop running Windows XP. Two current problems are:

1: When I click a link for an Adobe file, Real Player starts!?!? I dont even use Real Player and would delete it if I wasn't afraid of FUDARing some other program (more on that below).

2: When I insert a CD into the CD/DVD ROM, I want Windows Media Player to automatically start. Or better yet - no programs to start when the CD/DVD ROM is closed.

About deleting stuff. I have a bunch of programs preloaded by Dell that I do not need or want. How can I get rid of these useless (to me) programs with out affecting the rest of the computers programs?

Thanks.

DefyantExWife
07-15-2006, 07:00 PM
what about that manual thing in the control panel "add/delete programs" i dont know, something like that.

I'd yell this to you across the house, but the kids are sleeping. :rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
07-15-2006, 07:22 PM
PM sent:)...........

jawz101
07-15-2006, 09:12 PM
1) the filetype association for pdf's is probably set to open w/ Real Player. Easy fix.

Go to My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | File Types tab

scroll down to PDF. If it's not on Adobe hit Change and Browse to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\ acrord32.exe

it also looks like Adobe Reader has a Detect & Repair option in the help menu. That may restore the file association as well.

if you have an older version of the reader just upgrade it anyways

jawz101
07-15-2006, 09:37 PM
2)
I just learned an easier way than what I was thinking of:
How To Enable/Disable Autorun (Windows XP)

Open Windows Explorer by pressing the Windows + "e" key.
Right-click the desired CD-ROM and select Properties from the menu.
Select the AutoPlay tab.
Select each item from the pulldown list and for the Action to perform, select "Take no action" to disable autorun, or pick the apporpriate action to take if enabling autorun.
Select OK.

merc6
07-15-2006, 09:48 PM
wrong window my bad:alone:

jawz101
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
About the Dell thing.
I've never been afraid to remove stuff from the control panel add/remove programs
you aren't going to hurt anything by doing so.

start out by removing anything that you know you won't use and then ask about the rest.

if dell has any update/helper/fixer utilities they aren't necessary
anything that says WildTangent, Google, Firefox, Games, AOL, Netscape, Python, Yahoo, MSN,

Quicken, Microsoft Money (unless you want either)

=============

Norton AV is associated w/ anything that says Symantec, so if you want Norton antivirus keep those Symantec apps.

If there are dvd burners/players/ etc I'd keep those

If there is a full version of Microsoft Office I'd keep it. if it came w/ a trial get rid of it but keep Microsoft Works.

I'm just guessing about what kind of stuff I usually see bundled.

** if you have your own copy of anything just get rid of the bundled one and load yours

DEFYANT
07-15-2006, 10:02 PM
jaws101,

Repairs made! Thanks alot man, I owe you one. What a PITA with the CD rom and PDF thing. I'll cautiously remove programs as you suggested.