PDA

View Full Version : 03 Marauder VS 01 GT

4600cc
07-19-2006, 03:45 PM
What's faster, stock 03 Marauder or somewhat stock 01 GT 5-speed? All I done to it is an MGW short throw shifter and learned how to really shift fast and make it hook up.

On one hand the marauder has more power, but it is also heavier, has less gears and narrower power band, and not much weight in the rear so poor traction. 3250 lb mustang has 5-speeds, and I think stock they have shorter rear end ratios, pretty good weight distribution make it hook and go. I asked same question on mustang forums.

LVMarauder
07-19-2006, 04:08 PM
more likely than not the GT.

Rider90
07-19-2006, 04:20 PM
poor traction? Who are you kidding? The torque in the DOHC 4.6L is not in the low-end, I could floor it with 3.55 gears all day long and not hear a chirp.

SergntMac
07-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I disagree with your supposition that a Marauder is too light in the rear, therefore no traction. This car is plenty heavy all over, and pound for pound, much heavier over the drive wheels than a Mustang.

That said, the '01 GT prolly has an advantage with the manual tranny. More flexibility in launching, plus less loss of power through the driveline, indeed gives a Mustang GT an edge in the 1/8 mile contest.

However, the 2V SOHC engine is no match for the 4V DOHC engine above 4000 RPM. A Marauder driver with good reflexes (and all other thing being equal) is going to climb on you azz in 2nd gear like stink on *****.

IMHO, the mid/top end RPM power ranges are quite different between the two engines, and the Marauder recovers it's edge in the 1/4 mile contest, even in stock trim.

Interesting comparasion, but not really a fair match.

Tallboy
07-19-2006, 04:32 PM
I disagree with your supposition that a Marauder is too light in the rear, therefore no traction. This car is plenty heavy all over, and pound for pound, much heavier over the drive wheels than a Mustang.

That said, the '01 GT prolly has an advantage with the manual tranny. More flexibility in launching, plus less loss of power through the driveline, indeed gives a Mustang GT an edge in the 1/8 mile contest.

However, the 2V SOHC engine is no match for the 4V DOHC engine above 4000 RPM. A Marauder driver with good reflexes (and all other thing being equal) is going to climb on you azz in 2nd gear like stink on *****.

IMHO, the mid/top end RPM power ranges are quite different between the two engines, and the Marauder recovers it's edge in the 1/4 mile contest, even in stock trim.

Interesting comparasion, but not really a fair match.

The Marauder would lose this race. Badly.

4600cc
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM

I doubt it, in fact the guy is pissing me off with his bragging for no reason. I'd love for me and him to put it to the ground for some $$$, I don't work right now and could use some cash. Name is playbackrecks, make him race me. We have two tracks around here.

Now, let's not forget that Marauder only has 40 more hp and weights 950 lbs more in best case scenario, 1000+ more realistically. Stock GT is 3250 lbs. Rear ratio I think is 3.27 or 3.55. Also, the Marauder will use 2 or 3 gears in the quarter mile race, where GT has 4 for that, with considerably shorter ratios.

When I said that Maruader probably has less traction I ment the weight distribution, GT is 55/45, Marauder is nowhere near that, and it has less rubber. Basically a GT launched properly will transfer more weight and create more traction.

Do you really think that those extra 40 hp will make up for all that extra weight, taller gearing, longer wheel base, uneven weight distribution with a fat emphasis on the front, and less rubber?

playbackreks
07-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Go back to the stang forums!

4600cc
07-19-2006, 05:14 PM
There he is. Let race? wuss

KillJoy
07-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Why don't y'all quit pissin about it and just race!

Easy way to answer that question.....

KillJoy

playbackreks
07-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Because there's nowhere legal at this time to race... And I don't want him to blow his engine missing second gear...

MENINBLK
07-19-2006, 05:18 PM
poor traction? Who are you kidding? The torque in the DOHC 4.6L is not in the low-end, I could floor it with 3.55 gears all day long and not hear a chirp.

Add Lidio's tune.
You'll burn your tires all day long...

Joe Walsh
07-19-2006, 05:22 PM

Yep, assuming both cars are driven properly:

stock '03 Marauder: mid to low 15 second 1/4 mile

stock '01 Mustang GT: low 14 second 1/4 mile

You'll need 4.10s, CAI, and a good 'tune' to make it interesting.

4600cc
07-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Because there's nowhere legal at this time to race... And I don't want him to blow his engine missing second gear...

:rolleyes: People usually miss the 3rd.

With MGW shifter believe me it is impossible to miss a gear. So stop using that as a lame excuse. There are two places, Indian reservation in the middle of Florida on I75, and Palm Beach. Each place is only 40 minutes away. Could be fun, no excuses man. No excuses now, unless you suck at pushing the gas pedal.

SamF
07-19-2006, 05:37 PM
:rolleyes: People usually miss the 3rd.

With MGW shifter believe me it is impossible to miss a gear. So stop using that as a lame excuse. There are two places, Indian reservation in the middle of Florida on I75, and Palm Beach. Each place is only 40 minutes away. Could be fun, no excuses man. No excuses now, unless you suck at pushing the gas pedal.

Pass the :popcorn:

playbackreks
07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Yeah... I don't drive a manual.... I was just making fun of you not knowing how to shift when you bought the car.

I have work tomorrow, and I have a couple beers in me. No race tonight...

Bradley G
07-19-2006, 05:53 PM
The Stang by at least a half.
Unless he misses a shift.

Agent M79
07-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Just a little fuel for the (friendly) fire...

My first car with a manual tranny was my first real experience with a stick. Those first couple thousand miles were harsh for both the car and me. Everyone has to learn sometime.

I had a 2000 GT automatic. Stock vs stock, it was faster than the MM. No real surprise to me.

With my current mods, and I am power-adder light, I would say it would be an interesting race between the 00 auto GT and my MM. The GT would be off the line first but I think the MM pulls a little harder near the halfway point and could possibly take it.

Now I wish I still had the Mustang.

Can't you guys just have a friendly few heads-up races without having to resort to betting? Name calling? Just for fun? I'd like to know how it turns out. If you must bet, I am to understand that cases of diet soda of choice is the currency around here.

SergntMac
07-19-2006, 06:14 PM

Yep, assuming both cars are driven properly:
stock '03 Marauder: mid to low 15 second 1/4 mile
stock '01 Mustang GT: low 14 second 1/4 mile

You'll need 4.10s, CAI, and a good 'tune' to make it interesting.
Well, now you're adding more "magazine spec" stuff to the mix, I was talking about "real world" experience. Between my first Marauder and my #3 Marauder, I haven't lost anything to a Mustang GT yet. When I'm in my #1x, I don't even bother.

Giess it's best to say that the Mustang GT owners in my neighborhood need to push it a tad more. No guts, no glory, eh? I've driven a few of these cars myself, and I am not impressed as I have been with stock Marauder performance, giving each vehicle it's due honors for it's individual history.

That said, this thread looks like more mayhem and chaos spillingover from other vehicle-centric boards, and IMHO, if it's not directly related to something important to Marauder owners, please take it back to where y'all started this pizzing contest. Zip 'em up gents, and walk it off. We all got dixions too.

Well...99 percent of us anyway...

supa_carrot
07-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, I'd like to add a little fuel to the fire. Since many of you are talking about this as an off the line race, who would win from let's say a 20 mph roll? Because, once the Marauder is up and moving, we all know this is when she sports her stuff.

4600cc
07-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Just a little fuel for the (friendly) fire...

My first car with a manual tranny was my first real experience with a stick. Those first couple thousand miles were harsh for both the car and me. Everyone has to learn sometime.

I had a 2000 GT automatic. Stock vs stock, it was faster than the MM. No real surprise to me.

With my current mods, and I am power-adder light, I would say it would be an interesting race between the 00 auto GT and my MM. The GT would be off the line first but I think the MM pulls a little harder near the halfway point and could possibly take it.

Now I wish I still had the Mustang.

Can't you guys just have a friendly few heads-up races without having to resort to betting? Name calling? Just for fun? I'd like to know how it turns out. If you must bet, I am to understand that cases of diet soda of choice is the currency around here.

I learned the stick for daily driving in two days. It's easy, although with stock shifter it sucked. He is reffering to the day I bought her and showed it to him, yea I sucked back then. But I let him drive it, he stalled it. :burnout:

Today, I'm a pro with the stick, I learned a lot of tricks for the road racing, heel toe is not a problem with the stock pedals, heck I can even do the scandinavian flick. I have a 60 lb clutch spring, and I'm just fine with it. So, there is not issues with my shifting, he could have made fun of me for the first week, but after that it was all right.

Now, I want a friendly race. The thing is he won't race, but does think that he's marauder will bursn the tires off my GT. I thought that perhaps some peer pressure from you guys would help. So keep on pressuring him. There is no excuse now, we have the tracks to race on. I wouldn't race on the street anyway, I made a decision to go clean. The distance to the tracks shouldn't be an issue either, since trip to his work and back takes longer than the trip there.

So, wtf? Let's race, unless of course you're a wuss.:pimp:

4600cc
07-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I have work tomorrow, and I have a couple beers in me. No race tonight...

We could race for a case of beer man!!!!!!!! I want some beer....

Now I told the guy buy GT, they're faster. Told me they're too cramped, lol. I'm bigger and it fits me like a glove. Plus the fun factor, and handling. Ayyy.

We both used to have crown vics before, I lost mine in a wreck, he sold his. The real driving IMO begins when you get a stick, the auto is doll and borring. I drove her in bumper to bumper for half a year, it's definately better than the auto, you can do so much more. An auto driver might not see it, but stick is way faster and more flexible in all situations.

DEFYANT
07-19-2006, 07:39 PM
We could race for a case of beer man!!!!!!!! I want some beer....

Now I told the guy buy GT, they're faster. Told me they're too cramped, lol. I'm bigger and it fits me like a glove. Plus the fun factor, and handling. Ayyy.

We both used to have crown vics before, I lost mine in a wreck, he sold his. The real driving IMO begins when you get a stick, the auto is doll and borring. I drove her in bumper to bumper for half a year, it's definately better than the auto, you can do so much more. An auto driver might not see it, but stick is way faster and more flexible in all situations.

Like it was said before, take it elsewhere.

It seems you came here looking to stir up crap. We can do that all by ourselves thanks.

BTW, you'd lose to most of the Marauders on this site. Consider that!

Rider90
07-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Like it was said before, take it elsewhere.

It seems you came here looking to stir up crap. We can do that all by ourselves thanks.

BTW, you'd lose to most of the Marauders on this site. Consider that!
Yeah, we don't like people who stir obvious crap. We prefer our crap to be [there] but not bluntly spoken out :nono:

DEFYANT
07-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah, we don't like people who stir obvious crap. We prefer our crap to be [there] but not bluntly spoken out :nono:

Least you could do is ask us which supercharger and synthetic oil you should use to try and beat the fast Marauders!:P

playbackreks
07-20-2006, 03:20 AM
I learned the stick for daily driving in two days. It's easy, although with stock shifter it sucked. He is reffering to the day I bought her and showed it to him, yea I sucked back then. But I let him drive it, he stalled it. :burnout:

Today, I'm a pro with the stick, I learned a lot of tricks for the road racing, heel toe is not a problem with the stock pedals, heck I can even do the scandinavian flick. I have a 60 lb clutch spring, and I'm just fine with it. So, there is not issues with my shifting, he could have made fun of me for the first week, but after that it was all right.

Now, I want a friendly race. The thing is he won't race, but does think that he's marauder will bursn the tires off my GT. I thought that perhaps some peer pressure from you guys would help. So keep on pressuring him. There is no excuse now, we have the tracks to race on. I wouldn't race on the street anyway, I made a decision to go clean. The distance to the tracks shouldn't be an issue either, since trip to his work and back takes longer than the trip there.

So, wtf? Let's race, unless of course you're a wuss.:pimp:

You're starting to take this a little too serious... When I told you I bought a Marauder, you ragged on it like it's not worth anything. My reply was something like "I'll kill your mustang". I was actually trying to stir it up because my 98 stock CVPI beat your modified megajolted 95 CVPI, but I haven't said a thing about me "burning the tires of your GT" since. So don't act like I've been stirring it up for months.

I'm sure we'll race one day... But you need to relax and not try to piss off Marauder owners on their own forum

MM2004
07-20-2006, 03:39 AM
You're starting to take this a little too serious... When I told you I bought a Marauder, you ragged on it like it's not worth anything. My reply was something like "I'll kill your mustang". I was actually trying to stir it up because my 98 stock CVPI beat your modified megajolted 95 CVPI, but I haven't said a thing about me "burning the tires of your GT" since. So don't act like I've been stirring it up for months.

I'm sure we'll race one day... But you need to relax and not try to piss off Marauder owners on their own forum

The two of you are obviously children. If not in age, mentally. :shake:

Go find a diaper forum to throw your shat at each other.

Haggis
07-20-2006, 05:50 AM
Begone Troll!!!:nono:

whoskal
07-20-2006, 08:03 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Breadfan
07-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Source: http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

Data:
2004 Ford Mustang GT 6.3 14.8
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt GT 5.6 14.1 (MT 01)

2003 Mercury Marauder 6.9 15.4

Personally I don't find these numbers to be completely real-world valid, but thats what they are. So we have these numbers and a bunch of back and forth discussion.

Find a nearby track, pay $20 for test and tune, and run them. See who wins, then you'll know. If you can't bring yourself to do this, then no whining or bragging allowed!

Otherwise this is what "rice" is. It's going on about how fast your car is and how it'll blow the doors off another car but shying away, backing off, or not showing up for a race. So just do it!

ckadiddle
07-20-2006, 08:49 AM
I can tell you that my wife drives a 2000 stang GT vert, all stock. Our MM has a Reinhart tune, Magnaflows, PHP airbox. Both are aouto tranny. The wife tells me that the MM is much faster. :)

chuckled
07-20-2006, 10:43 AM
I have an 89 GT that I bought new and is still basically stock except for pulleys, K& N, and 460 injectors. Has stock 2:78 gears and Auto. My 03 MM will give it a good race for a 1/4 mile but when the MM gets up on its cams, I believe it is quicker to 130 MPH or so. GT gets a little light around 120 to 125 MPH. The GT is like a short *****, O.K. for around town but not worth a damn out on the road.

juno
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
A stock GT will beat a stock marauder in the 1320. I have owned both, recently. Even with my mods I would have a hard time beating a stock gt with just a tune and CAI if it was driven properly.
Now from a roll, the GT would lose any advantage it had.

Just go out and race and wager a cold one on it. Have fun, even if he beats you, so what, he should. Your big four door will attract much more attention at the track then the GT.

Blackened300a
07-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Racing on a roll may not be such a good thing when its Auto vs Manual. Theres that delay when you stomp on the gas til the tranny downshifts and responds that the Manual car dont have.

Just settle the debate and run heads up!
On paper the GT has the edge, but gears can be missed, tires can go up in smoke, and anything can happen.

If the GT wins, there are plenty of us that can point you in the right direction to get your Marauder up to par to prevent that from happening a second time.

If the Marauder wins, then chalk one up for the underdog.

SID210SA
07-21-2006, 06:12 AM
I went to the track a few months ago and raced an 01 GT a couple of times.....he had me by 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths each time....of coarse he had me on the whole shot too....I didnt get off the line well at all. No mods in my car.