PDA

View Full Version : What a maroon

Donny Carlson
07-19-2006, 09:25 PM
And this makes me really wonder if they are this stupid, maybe I don't want to give them any money.

When I bought the Harley, I didn't buy Gap insurance, because it was included in my auto policy. Then I changed insurance companies and the new company doesn't offer gap insurance.

So, I do a Google and find what looks to be a reputable, big Gap insurance agency and sign up with them, send them money.... then hear nothing for 4-5 days until I see a refund of the money appear back in my account. So, I call and leave a message (it was after hours) asking what gives.

So, I get this email response. I excerpt part of the email sent to them with the web form showing information on my truck, then the response...

make: Ford
model: F-150 Harley Davidson
vehyear: 2006
mileage: 722
idnumber: 1FTRX14546FA27867

This is available on new and used cars and trucks only, no cycles, thatis why we issued the refund, sorry

Hol-lee-****z, you mean to tell me an agent selling insurance in the car business has never heard of a Ford F-150 Harley Davidson? EECH!

Also, when I tried to call them during business hours today they didn't answer the number on the website, I got a recording that "the Nextel customer you are trying to reach is not available." They use a cell phone for their web contacts.

Counting my blessings.

Haggis
07-20-2006, 03:09 AM
Donny where is their home office, Ghana?

shakes_26
07-20-2006, 07:36 AM

Nigeria :D

the_pack_rat
07-20-2006, 07:56 AM
Nigeria :D
Yea ...

And the refund was made for 2 1/2 times the original amount he sent.

But they said everything is just fine & not to worry.

Donny can wire, or make out a check or money order for the difference & send it back.

But in order to show good faith on his part, as a man of his word & child of our lord ......

He must send the difference back first ..... & that payment will need to clear, before he attempts to deposit or cash the refund check.

:P

ckadiddle
07-20-2006, 08:52 AM
If you belong to a credit union, try them. Mine sells gap insurance for about half what the dealerships do.

Mebot
07-20-2006, 08:55 AM
If you belong to a credit union, try them. Mine sells gap insurance for about half what the dealerships do.

Agreed. I got a one time GAP insurance policy for about 220 bucks through my Credit Union. Not bad.

Glenn
07-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Donny:

Resubmit the insurance with "F-150 HD". They will think it means Heavy Duty.

Glenn

Mike Poore
07-21-2006, 03:18 AM
:laugh:
Yeah, but why are they lost?

Bigdogjim
07-21-2006, 09:44 AM

Sounds like New Jersey to me.

baltimoremm
07-21-2006, 11:26 AM
have you tried purchasing gap through your lienholder? some of them offer it

Donny Carlson
07-21-2006, 05:56 PM
have you tried purchasing gap through your lienholder? some of them offer it

I asked my dealer, and he said that gap insurance had to be part of the contract. It's not a Ford Credit policy -- gap insurance is usually a third party. Progressive offered it to customers and you could add or remove it any time. My new insurance company does not offer it.

I got a reponse email from the insurance company in question. They apolgised profusely, said they "dropped the ball" on this one. They explained they get a lot of applications for gap insurance for motorcycles, which they do not insure. Somebody saw "Harley Davidson" and jumped to a conclusion it was another motorcycle applicant. It seems to be straightened out now, and the company does have a satisfactory rating with the BBB. They've also been referenced in USA Today and on TV news. I'm still shopping around, but I may go with these people after all.

One upgrade I like is for another $150, you can get Gap Plus, which pays the difference between ACV and amount owed on your vehicle, plus $5,000 towards the purchase of another vehicle. That would be a nice fat down payment if need be.

Dark_Knight7096
07-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Most dealerships offer some sort of GAP insurance through a company they do business with. I had GAP insurance on my Marauder that was purchased through the dealership I bought it from, and when I purchased my GTP, the dealership I bought THAT from offered me it as well. If you dealer doesn't offer it maybe you could just call up local dealerships and ask them who they use and if they have any contact information for you.

Silver_04
07-22-2006, 12:51 PM
I've had gap insurance thrown in for free with every vehicle loan I've gotten over the past few years. That's a big selling point for me when choosing a loan.