PDA

View Full Version : So My Journey Begins.

woaface
07-26-2006, 12:52 PM
As noted on a thread a week or so ago, I have chosen the United States Air Force as a place to go in the mid-late fall to serve my country and gain some valuable experience and better employment.

I did not note, however, that late last week I was evicted from my house and am no longer alowed to live with my step-father. I want to avoid a detailed story but in short, when he was out of town I took the Cobra for a spin and spun it a little too hard. The result was over $800 in clutch damage. (Ferris Bueller anyone?) I left him a three or four page letter with an apology and in return I found a simple piece of paper folded in half when I came home to grab some things one day with a few lines telling me I am no longer welcome in his house and that I am to have all my belongings up and out by Friday the 28th. I called my recruiter to discuss the situation with him and I'll get up to MEPS a little sooner now, this Sunday actually.

Ever since I turned 19 back in April, I've sort of felt like Doug (my step-dad) wasn't as welcoming. There's the new girlfriend, his constantly being gone and out of town for a week here or there, and there's also the fact that we've spent time together only twice since I graduated....Graduation lunch and a trip back from Durham taking my younger sister there to see her older sister.

We've been pretty disconnected and in the crazy idea got in my head that if I only took the Cobra out a few miles while he was gone he would never notice. To me it's not so bad considering I was up and out of the house permenantly soon anyways, and that I was never there most of the time throughout the summer. It is 100% my fault that his car is disembowled at a nearby autoshop and I regret what I did to his pride and joy.

But what stands stands and while I look for a small job to bring in some food and pay-back money until I'm in the service, I can only wait and wait on what's to come. I'm terribly excited about joining the military and I just wish every day that it would come faster. It's time for me to grow up and learn a few lessons on my own. I'll realize that what I gain will rightfully be mine when and only when I earn it myself.

Anywho, my cellphone is shut off for those of you who have the number until I can transfer the liability of service to my own name. But please feel free to shoot me an e-mail at woaface@gmail.com if you like. I won't attend this next Marauderville like I thought but hopefully I'll attend the next.

The Marauder will follow soon, I hope it's the first car I buy when I'm making money on my own and that will come soon enough. I'll check in as often as I can here though, and I'll bring some more stories and such along with:)

Much love to my favorite car community:)

-James

DefyantExWife
07-26-2006, 12:57 PM
how come nowhere in your 4 page note did you offer to pay the damages? I'd have kicked you out too. How long has he been your "Step father" anyway?

Mike Poore
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
At 19 it's time to flee the nest; but sadly; under unfortunate circumstances. Pay him back for the repairs as soon as you can, then the load's off your back, and if he chooses to be angry, it's his anger, not your burden.
The boys told me you were entering the military, at the CAM doo last weekend, and frankly, it came as a shock, since I was sure you were the wunder-kid ready to rule the world. Hopefully you'll be taking a commission, and accepting whatever training challenges they toss your way. It's a good start, James, and you'd be surprised how many of us did it the same way. Best of everything to you, and we pray for your safety. You'll have plenty of choices facing you, make 'em good ones.

And remember this: no mater what you do, or where you go .....someone's always watching.

Also, you have friends, here, call on us, when you need help.

usafsniper
07-26-2006, 01:10 PM
What do you think the Lone Ranger would have done if you took Silver out for a ride and crippled him?

Seriously, congratulations on getting in the Air Force since it's not as easy as some would think, nor how easy it was years ago. Let me say this, if you truly want to experience life outside of the box, you've chosen the right job...serving in the military via any service.

On the responsibility side, it's harder to stay in if you veer off the straight and narrow as well. We all make mistakes, and if you leave the Cobra incident behind you and put 100% effort into the Air Force, you'll find a rewarding, interesting, life-changing event unfolding for you everyday. Best of luck to you. BTW, did they give you a guaranteed job or did you leave it up to the hands of fate?

Bluerauder
07-26-2006, 01:17 PM
I did not note, however, that late last week I was evicted from my house and am no longer alowed to live with my step-father. I want to avoid a detailed story but in short, when he was out of town I took the Cobra for a spin and spun it a little too hard. The result was over $800 in clutch damage. (Ferris Bueller anyone?)
-James
James,
Sorry to hear about your latest troubles. :( No lecture from me. Seems that you are already flogging yourself over this and are well aware of the consequences.

I hear about a lot of notes being passed back and forth on this. But, have you actually sat down and talked to the man face-to-face to express your remorse/lack of judgement and your willingness to kick in some $ once you are up and running again. The eviction note may have just been a knee-jerk reaction. Either way, I hope you can sort through this "in person" with your step-Dad and part company on good terms if it indeed comes to that.

Good luck with your decision to join the US Air Force. Stick with it and the advantages are many -- the experience unmatched --- and the people fantastic. Be well, my friend. You'll get through this setback. :D

rayjay
07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
You made a mistake James. Things happen and you move on. Knowing life and teenagers I'm quite sure there is more to this than you are letting on. Things will work out. Good luck in the USAF and thanks in advance for your service.

LordVader
07-26-2006, 02:00 PM
James,

I hear about a lot of notes being passed back and forth on this. But, have you actually sat down and talked to the man face-to-face to express your remorse/lack of judgement and your willingness to kick in some $ once you are up and running again. The eviction note may have just been a knee-jerk reaction. Either way, I hope you can sort through this "in person" with your step-Dad and part company on good terms if it indeed comes to that.

Good luck with your decision to join the US Air Force. Stick with it and the advantages are many -- the experience unmatched --- and the people fantastic. Be well, my friend. You'll get through this setback. :D

^^^^^Total agreement. Do the manly thing and look him in the eye!

woaface
07-26-2006, 03:19 PM
I never said I didn't offer to pay back the damamges or talk to him face to face. What I did say is that I didn't want to go into great detail over the issue here so don't anyone assume what happened.

Not only did I never simply OFFER to pay back the damamges I TOLD HIM I would pay back the damages, period end of story. The rest of the story is between him and me so it really pisses me off that ya'll start to figure out what happened here when you're not here at all.

Moving on from that, thanks for the congrads over the military, I'm absolutly elated but I'm not quite in yet. I still have to take a physical (this Sunday/Monday) and swear in. THEN I'll be ready to ship out to Texas this fall for basic.

A lot of you here had varying opinions on the subject and I throughly enjoyed and soaked up everything everyone had to say. The previous discussion on the military topic was extremely helpful and encouraging and I really really appreciate it. I'll keep everyone up-to-date as things progress from here.

woaface
07-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Oh and on another note, I scored a 77 quantitive on my ASVAB so my recruiter said I can do almost anything I want including a couple of the harder jobs that most people don't pre-qualify for like linguistics!

jgc61sr2002
07-26-2006, 04:26 PM
James - Sorry about your current situation.:(
Good luck and Best Wishes with your new career.:D
Thanks .:flag:

Hotrauder
07-26-2006, 04:39 PM
James, I know this is a very difficult situation for you but you have, as I would have expected; faced it like a man. As I have said before you will be exceptional at what ever you choose to do. The AF is a wonderful choice. Make the most of it while you decide what comes next. You need help or just want to visit this is the place. Keep us posted please. The best to you. Dennis:2thumbs:

dwasson
07-26-2006, 04:46 PM
James, everyone had beat up on you enough that I don't have to.

You'll do well in the Air Force. You're smart enough and agressive enough to get ahead. Good luck and please keep in touch with us.

Logan
07-26-2006, 04:53 PM
What I did say is that I didn't want to go into great detail over the issue here so don't anyone assume what happened. The rest of the story is between him and me so it really pisses me off that ya'll start to figure out what happened here when you're not here at all.

You don't get to be pissed off at folks for being curious, you're the guy who brought it up!

Betrayed trust, took property without permission and then damaged it to the tune of a grand? Not so sure I'd want my kid in my house still either...

Still, if I was that kid, I probably wouldn't go blathering on or vent about half the story on the net and then get pissed when people fill in the blanks...

There's always two sides to the story, but frankly my dear, I'm now pissed at myself I wasted my time reading this thread and the 3 or 4 minutes I spent thinking about it.

Ugh. Don't send me hatemail, This whole damn thread is entirely too Dawson's Creek "woah-is-me" material...No pun intended...

:bandit:

CRUZTAKER
07-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a vaguely familiar life story to me...

Good luck James.
I hope some good old military service straightens your ass out.
I'm thinking Marines or Army in your case....;)

Take care man.

woaface
07-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Logan, no disrespect but this

how come nowhere in your 4 page note did you offer to pay the damages? I'd have kicked you out too. How long has he been your "Step father" anyway?

is not being curious.

Sorry if you didn't want me to post this.

LCSO34
07-26-2006, 06:15 PM
James, congrats on your decision. With your photo skills I would seriously consider the field of combat photography. You get to fly with all the jets as a backseater, go places you have never seen, and basically get to sample all of the jobs of the air force. I once refueled the T-Birds with their photographer in the back seat of an F-16D. If not that enlisted aircrew is good also, they have linguist (sp) that fly on the Recce jets, RC-135 Rivet Joint and E-8 JSTARS. The linguist school is about a year long in Monteray Ca. Word to the wise though MAX out that Thrift Savings plan with your flight pay and other incentives pay. You will never miss it if you never see it. I wish they would have had it 14 years ago. Need anything else just PM me.

Kenneth "Goober" Graham

PS Now you know where the Le Gubair comes from

woaface
07-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Now THAT sounds pretty cool. Photography AND getting in planes! I'll ask my recruiter about it when I see him in a few days.

I've also considered in flight refueling, or Aerospace Physiology and for my second sign on (after my first 4 years is up) cross training for public affairs or contracting. There's so much to choose from!

LCSO34
07-26-2006, 06:30 PM
I was a Boom Operator for six years, just recently changed to loadmaster on C-17, so I can give you the skinny on the boomer job also.

Mike Poore
07-27-2006, 05:32 AM
Now THAT sounds pretty cool. Photography AND getting in planes! I'll ask my recruiter about it when I see him in a few days.

James, some grandfatherly advice: don't be climbing into the rear seat of an aircraft with an "F" prefix, with or without a camera. From the stories I've heard, you'll be revisiting lunches from your high school cafeteria, long forgotten. :puke:

If, however, you can wangle an invitation to flight school ...:woohoo:

DefyantExWife
07-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Logan, no disrespect but this

is not being curious.

Sorry if you didn't want me to post this.

Well, like Logan said... if you didnt want opinions/feedback on this story, you shouldnt have posted about it; rather logged it in your diary. Good luck in the military ! I would not likely make it in the military, one reason being I'm not a great accepter of constructive criticism.:beatnik:

Ross
07-27-2006, 09:08 AM
As always, I'm proud of you, James. No, not proud of the Cobra incident, but of how you are trying to handle it. Believe me, at your age (and beyond) I screwed up plenty.
Thanks for wanting to serve your country. Whatever you do, remember, it's not just a job, people's lives and our freedom will be resting on your shoulders.
I know you will make us proud. Keep in touch when you get free time while you're in Texas. Who knows, maybe some of us can come see you.

Mrsteamrope
07-27-2006, 05:44 PM
James, I don't remember you posting where you are going to Basic. If you can get to a 'putter maybe you can let us know when/where your graduation cerimony is. I'm sure there are some of us that would be honored to attend. :)

fastblackmerc
07-27-2006, 05:50 PM
James, I don't remember you posting where you are going to Basic. If you can get to a 'putter maybe you can let us know when/where your graduation cerimony is. I'm sure there are some of us that would be honored to attend. :)
Texas... post# 8

Smokie
07-27-2006, 06:26 PM
James two things, pay for the repairs; is what a man does.
Second, best of luck in the military, you are on your way to becoming a man. It has been an interesting experience for me watching you grow from 16 to the present.

You are a bright gifted young man. I'll give you some small unsolicited advise. Being a man is not about what hangs between your legs, or how much is in your wallet or even how high your IQ is.

Is about standing on your own two feet, doing what is right even when it's not popular...is about character James, always... is about character. Good luck James, Javier.

Petrograde
07-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Woa,
I joined the Military when I was 19. It was the best desicion I ever made. I'm sure you'll do well there at whatever MOS you pick.

Best wishes,
Tom

2003 MIB
07-28-2006, 04:35 AM
Pay attention. Do your best. Brush your teeth.

seans
07-28-2006, 05:12 AM
I don't know you but from your posts here and the respect you seem to have I wish you the best of luck. You sound like the kind of kid most men would be proud to call "son".

One piece of advice that my father gave me when I entered boot camp:

Don't volunteer for anything!

Believe me, the guys that were always volunteering were the ones that were always doing the extra push ups or cleaning the head duty.

Good Luck.

Haggis
07-28-2006, 05:38 AM
...let us know when/where your graduation cerimony is. I'm sure there are some of us that would be honored to attend. :)
James, I just found this thread.

Way to go my man!!!! I for one am definitly proud of you. Everyone makes mistakes, it's nature, its how you except the responsibilty of those mistakes that makes you an adult. Remember that it is the enlisted that is the backbone of the military. If you get to be an officer that is great, but it is not everything, and I will get to call you a 'Butter Bar' when you make 2nd LT.

You have my number call if you need anything. Your turning out to be a fine young man, your mother would be proud.

:flag:God Bless and good luck.:flag:

woaface
07-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I'll let everyone know when basic graduation is and it's in Texas, at Lackland AFB. I'll get tickets for those of you that want them:P

We'll figure out more about the logistics of that when the time comes closer.

chuckled
07-28-2006, 09:18 AM
If you try doing something along these lines in the military, it can damage you for a long time. The Air Force is o.k. but a little lax on the dicipline end of the spectrum. Sounds like you need the Army or Marines. I was a punk at 17 when I joined the Army. Best thing I ever did. Straightened my butt right out and didn't take long to do it. Advice: Do what your superiors tell you to do and when they tell you to do it and everything will fall into place. Good Luck.

SID210SA
07-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Look me up when you get to town....210-288-0004

BUCKWHEAT
07-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Is about standing on your own two feet, doing what is right even when it's not popular...is about character James, always... is about character. Good luck James, Javier.[/QUOTE]

James, Javier as usual is right. Those of us who have met you know you are a good kid and will be a stand-up guy. Enjoy your trip into the military, it will be a stand-out experience in your whole life. Best of luck to a good young man.

John
USAFA RTB Class of 1966

gpfarrell
07-31-2006, 07:48 PM
James,

If you want to serve & protect our country you're welcome to wring the clutch out of my Mustang anytime you want!

Thank you.

natedog1284
07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Congratulations James, you made the right choice! :up: You're where I was a few years ago, and I love it. Best decision I ever made, and probably ever will make.
On a side note, go to about.com, they have articles on just about anything you could want to know about the military, including a step-by-step article about what to expect and do in basic. Feel free to ask me anything you want to know, and I'll be delighted to help. Either PM me or send me an email, (natedog1284@hotmail.com), and I'll do what I can to help you. Take care buddy, I'm sure I'll see you in the system some time!

-Nate