PDA

View Full Version : Have you had enough rain ?

rayjay
07-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm beginning to believe in global warming. Tropical mositure, heat, rain, fog, cutting my damn lawn 3 tiimes a week, etc... More flooding in this area of upstate NY than has ever been seen. A few more weeks of this and I'm ready for winter! You can always put more clothes on, there is only so much you can take off... :D :D :D

Grifter
07-28-2006, 04:45 PM
enough? we dont have ANY..
i'll tade you 100+ temps for rain...

rayjay
07-28-2006, 04:48 PM
enough? we dont have ANY..
i'll tade you 100+ temps for rain...

No thanks, we've been in the 90's, plus all the rain. They're saying we may hit 100 early next week, plus more rain, very rare for here.

Smokie
07-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Sounds like Florida weather, I don't know about this global warming stuff, I lived in Chicago in the mid 60's and I recall one summer that it hit 100 degrees, maybe 1968. It was one hell of a hot summer...in more ways than one.

cyclopsram
07-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Weather has cycled regularly for thousands of years.. Ice ages to tropical rainforests.. Fortunately, non of us ever live long enough to see major changes..like the glaciers in Texas or the raising of the oceans by many feet when the polar ice caps contract... I, too, remember the days in the 100s during the 1960s in MA. We used a little fan on a block of ice for some relief.. My Uncle was an Ice Man and put 5 kids thru college with the Ice Money and peddling kerosene at 25 cents a gallon...5 gallons at a time.. We had an old Chevy Ice Truck... wooden body with a canvas over it with large blocks of ice in the back cut to size by looking at a sign in the customer's window... 25lbs, 50 lbs etc.. for the IceBox Refrigerator.. and then hustled up 3 or 4 flights of stairs on your back with a rubber vest with a little drip catcher on it...There was a ice crusher pto driven in the truck body where we crushed ice into bushel baskets and hauled it into the A&P supermarket for their meat and fish coolers...and this was just a few years before the original Mercury Marauder was born...times have changed..

jimlam56
07-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Weather has cycled regularly for thousands of years.. Ice ages to tropical rainforests.. Fortunately, non of us ever live long enough to see major changes..like the glaciers in Texas or the raising of the oceans by many feet when the polar ice caps contract... I, too, remember the days in the 100s during the 1960s in MA. We used a little fan on a block of ice for some relief.. My Uncle was an Ice Man and put 5 kids thru college with the Ice Money and peddling kerosene at 25 cents a gallon...5 gallons at a time.. We had an old Chevy Ice Truck... wooden body with a canvas over it with large blocks of ice in the back cut to size by looking at a sign in the customer's window... 25lbs, 50 lbs etc.. for the IceBox Refrigerator.. and then hustled up 3 or 4 flights of stairs on your back with a rubber vest with a little drip catcher on it...There was a ice crusher pto driven in the truck body where we crushed ice into bushel baskets and hauled it into the A&P supermarket for their meat and fish coolers...and this was just a few years before the original Mercury Marauder was born...times have changed..

Thank you for putting everything in perspective, I remember similar things in the 50s and 60s here in FL. We had an ice man around all summer, cause everybody was fishin' and catchin' fish on Clearwater Bay...no more...

Vortex
07-28-2006, 07:17 PM
We havent had a decent rain since January. We can only water the yard once a week (or a big fine) and the water pressure is low. Wish we had some of that rain.

rayjay
07-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Sounds like Florida weather, I don't know about this global warming stuff, I lived in Chicago in the mid 60's and I recall one summer that it hit 100 degrees, maybe 1968. It was one hell of a hot summer...in more ways than one.

Exactly, except this is the heart of the snowbelt.... :shake: its normally not that hot or wet here. We are WAY above average on rainfall, more than three times normal the past two months. Maybe we'll have a light, warm winter??? :rolleyes:

rayjay
07-28-2006, 07:28 PM

Actually I have early childhood memories of this when I lived in Rochester. Thanks for taking me back to a simpler, easy time of my life.