PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln's naming problems

dwasson
07-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Here's (http://myforddreams2.blogspot.com/2006/07/em-kay-crap-read-cars-cars-cars-piece.html#links) a piece on how confusing Lincoln's naming strategy has become.

BAD MERC
07-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Don't be trashing FoMoCo. How about Cadillac with SRX, CTS, STS, DTS, XLR, HIV, STD etc..... C'mon GM, use a little imagination.

Meteorite
07-28-2006, 08:51 PM
If you've got a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr, hold onto it ... it'll be a collector's item someday, being a one-year only offering. After that, it is MK Z.

I have proposed (though not to him personally), that Ford boss Mark Fields legally change his name to MK Fields, or perhaps just MK F.

This, too, shall pass.

Vortex
07-29-2006, 05:38 AM
I have never understood the move away from car names to numbers. American cars are not BMWs. Ford has some great names available: Fairlane, Galaxie, Falcon, Cyclone, Cougar, Comet, Thunderbird ect... This move to letters is BS, like we are trying to be Euros or whatever. We should try not to be Euros and we will sell more damn cars.

Meteorite
07-29-2006, 05:43 AM
I have never understood the move away from car names to numbers. American cars are not BMWs. Ford has some great names available: Fairlane, Galaxie, Falcon, Cyclone, Cougar, Comet, Thunderbird ect... This move to letters is BS, like we are trying to be Euros or whatever. We should try not to be Euros and we will sell more damn cars.
I fully concur, Vortex! This runs 100% counter to Ford's recent Bold American Design philosophy. So, now we build a car with Bold American Design, and slap a Euro name on it! What the?:mad2:

Mike Poore
07-29-2006, 02:26 PM
[quote=Meteorite]
I have proposed (though not to him personally), that Ford boss Mark Fields legally change his name to MK Fields, or perhaps just MK F. quote]

:laugh: Then, if they just happened to put an Offenhauser engine in it, they could call it a ..........MK F-OFF

Actually while my MM was at the dealership getting it's new windshield and tires, they gave me a new Montego to drive. As a transportation appliance it was an OK car and, at least there weren't any torque steer issues, because there wasn't any, well, torque. The 3L V-6 buzzed right up to 6K though, and it seamed fast out on the road. They tell me it's the same car as the Ford Five Hundred; but they had Zephyr's and Montego's and some other Mercury model, a Milan, I believe on the show room floor, and darned if I could tell the difference in any of 'em; except the window sticker on the Zephyr, which could be a gussied up Milan.
Sort of takes one down memory lane, when GM marketed a Chevy something or other and re-badged it with a Cadillac logo, which fooled exactly .....no one.

ctrcbob
07-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Is it only me, or does the front end of the MKX look like the old AMC cars?

Meteorite
07-29-2006, 06:32 PM
The grille is supposed to evoke the image of the 1964 Lincoln Continental grille. It works for me.

Vortex
07-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Looks like one of those mid-70's AMC cars.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/classicamx/78concrd/78concrd.htm

Mike Poore
07-30-2006, 03:09 AM
The grille is supposed to evoke the image of the 1964 Lincoln Continental grille. It works for me.

The front end, up to the A pillar, to me, sort of, follows the Cadillac styling theme, then, toward the back, the gangsta look of the various offerings from Dodge. It's certainly different, at least for Lincoln, and should generate interest, something they've lacked in recant years.

DEFYANT
07-30-2006, 07:58 AM
I agree, no more number / letters for car names. Words work just fine.

dwasson
07-30-2006, 11:12 AM
The European companies have used alphanumerical designations forever. They have always had to deal with other languages. The Japanese either made up names with strings of nonsense sylables (Integra) or used names that seemed strange to our ears (Fairlady). The US companies could ignore these problems because they were alone in the largest market on earth.

Now the US companies have to deal with an international market. This means that they have to be concerned about what the name of their new car may translate to in Spanish ... or Urdu. We've all heard the Nova story. Buick is having issues with the Lacrosse due to the word's slang meaning in French Canada.

But MKS or MK-Z still seems silly.

gpfarrell
07-31-2006, 07:36 PM
"no torque" = too funny.

hey, no AMC bashing either if we're protecting the helpless!

sdacbob
07-31-2006, 10:03 PM
I can't understand why they keep changing names. I think they loose Brand Loyalty because of that. Back in the 60's Ford had the Fairlane, Galaxie, Falcon (which Ford of Australia still uses) and Chevy had Impala, Chevelle, Nova and Dodge and Plymouth the Fury, Charger, Dart ect. People recognized the names and even though the models changed over the years, the name stayed the same. How long has the name Camrey or Civic been around. People recognize it. It seems like every 4 to 6 years they drop a name and revive an old one (like Chrysler with the Charger for what the 3rd time now) or make up these new names. Then when someones asks...hey, did you see the new Upchucker its like who makes that or WTF is that. I think they should keep names that people are famaliar with. Just my 2 cents.

STLR FN
07-31-2006, 10:22 PM
I have proposed (though not to him personally), that Ford boss Mark Fields legally change his name to MK Fields, or perhaps just MK F.

:laugh: Then, if they just happened to put an Offenhauser engine in it, they could call it a ..........MK F-OFF

Actually while my MM was at the dealership getting it's new windshield and tires, they gave me a new Montego to drive. As a transportation appliance it was an OK car and, at least there weren't any torque steer issues, because there wasn't any, well, torque. The 3L V-6 buzzed right up to 6K though, and it seamed fast out on the road. They tell me it's the same car as the Ford Five Hundred; but they had Zephyr's and Montego's and some other Mercury model, a Milan, I believe on the show room floor, and darned if I could tell the difference in any of 'em; except the window sticker on the Zephyr, which could be a gussied up Milan.
Sort of takes one down memory lane, when GM marketed a Chevy something or other and re-badged it with a Cadillac logo, which fooled exactly .....no one.Ahhh the Caddy Cimmaron

Mike Poore
08-01-2006, 03:27 AM
Ahhh the Caddy Cimmaron

Yeah, that's it, CIMMARON! You'd think the folks at L/M would have remembered how well that one went over. Perhaps, when the Zephyr get's discounted down to the price of a Milan, they'll sell a few of 'em. Sort of like the Marauder story, eh? I bought mine because it was a better deal than a Crown Vic Sport.