PDA

View Full Version : Marauder ran 9's?

sailsmen
07-29-2006, 04:48 PM
The local Goodyear Store manager told me he was in Baytown, TX last weekend helping racing his buddies car and a turbo Marauder ran in the high 9's.

He said the interior was stripped.

Anybody know this Marauder.

Logan
07-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Probably that Baytown Marauder... Baytown sold it last year, didn't have a marauder drivetrain in it though, wouldn't surprise me to see it sportin' a turbo...

DEFYANT
07-29-2006, 05:07 PM
:hmmm: Would this car be disqualified as the fastest Marauder in the world?

If so, why?

Should it be street legal?

Mad4Macs
07-29-2006, 06:12 PM
:hmmm: Would this car be disqualified as the fastest Marauder in the world?

If so, why?

Should it be street legal?

Maybe maybe, maybe not, but definitely NOT, not unless he posts a time slip :D

Glenn
07-29-2006, 06:17 PM
No timeslip - NO CREDIT!!!! It goes without saying any world record holder MM has to be a 4.6+, street legal, tagged, insuranced and inspected. No renegade stripped MMs.

Glenn

94_302
07-29-2006, 06:22 PM
I don't see why not, it's still a Marauder even though it may not be street legal.

Marauderman
07-29-2006, 06:50 PM
I think you missed ^^^^^^Glenn's post above--re-read----that is the true answer---no more disscussion---

martyo
07-29-2006, 07:00 PM
At a minimum a timeslip is required.

Leadfoot281
07-29-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't see why not, it's still a Marauder even though it may not be street legal.

Ditto. If this were the case, the worlds fastest Mustang would be in the 10's too.

"Street legal"? In what state/states? "Street legal" in California would add 3 seconds to every ones time slips.

Breadfan
07-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Tough call - what do the Impala guys say in similar situations? There's some Impala's out there running some smokin' times but from what I've seen some of them are really dramatically changed, some certainly without LT-1 motors.

This isn't any easy one to answer, would depend on the timeslip being present and some more info on the car.

martyo
07-29-2006, 07:59 PM
If I switch to a 418 pushrod motor but I have a slip, will I be DQ'd?

Blackened300a
07-29-2006, 08:24 PM
If I switch to a 418 pushrod motor but I have a slip, will I be DQ'd?

Yes, for it to be the fastest Marauder it still has to have the factory drivetrain in it No matter how much boost you run or how big you bore it out, it has to be the what the factory put in the car for it to be considered the "fastest" of that particular type of car. There are guys that have taken T-bird SC's and put V-8's in them. The Factory put a S/Ced V-6, you pull that out and transplant a V-8, its no longer a Thunderbird SC.
Marty you are still the record holder as far as Im concerned.

Breadfan
07-29-2006, 09:31 PM
That's the big quetsion...for sure a Chevy Cavalier funny car that runs 6's or less isn't really a Cavalier. The guys on the Cavalier forum don't go around telling people "we got Cavaliers running in the 6's!"

So where's the line then? I'm saying it's just a really blurry line, that's all.

We might find clarity if we know what others feel. The Impala guys are one of the closest groups to what we do. They soup their cars up, they're big 4 door sedans. They have some that are highly modified with big block motors running super fast times. Are they really "Impala SS's" though?

Personally I feel that's a whole other class.

So again knowing more about this mystery Marauder may be necessary...

94_302
07-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Obviously a timeslip is required. So I guess if someone pulled the 4r70 for a C4 they would be DQ because it's not the original drivetrain? Same if someone dropped in a 5.4? What if it's the original drivetrain but a gutted car? If it's a Marauder it can compete for the worlds fastest regardless of the drivetrain imo. I guess most of these (http://nloc.net/vbforum/showthread.php?t=118393) trucks would not be on the list if they were confined to the stock drivetrain.

DarthMarauder
07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
So how does a stripped MM consider it not street legal. I'm sure you could put on all the goodies and strip the interior leave your airbags and seats, just take out carpeting, insulation, radio, a/c, back seats, and whatever else and still be street legal does that count still would have 4.6+, street legal, tagged, and insured. I'm not going to do this just a curiousity question. Well maybe if I will the lotto I'll buy another one to lighten and make a demon out of.

jakdad
07-30-2006, 03:57 AM
So how does a stripped MM consider it not street legal. I'm sure you could put on all the goodies and strip the interior leave your airbags and seats, just take out carpeting, insulation, radio, a/c, back seats, and whatever else and still be street legal does that count still would have 4.6+, street legal, tagged, and insured. I'm not going to do this just a curiousity question. Well maybe if I will the lotto I'll buy another one to lighten and make a demon out of.
Pull all the seats. You can get a drivers seat from Kirky, very light weight. Does anyone know what drivetrain the 9 second MM is running?

Smokie
07-30-2006, 05:21 AM
No timeslip - NO CREDIT!!!! It goes without saying any world record holder MM has to be a 4.6+, street legal, tagged, insuranced and inspected. No renegade stripped MMs.

Glenn

Oh yee of little faith....how 'bout if is someone we know and admire like Jerry? If he tells us he's running 10's I believe...even if I have not seen the slip. Amen, I believe.:D

MarauderTJA
07-30-2006, 05:38 AM
No timeslip - It goes without saying any world record holder MM has to be a 4.6+, street legal, tagged, insuranced and inspected. No renegade stripped MMs.

Glenn

Have you seen Jerry's and Marty's Marauder? Street legal and State inspected? :depress: Their cars are stripped RACE cars;) . I do agree they should be 4.6 blocks though...

Tallboy
07-30-2006, 05:45 AM
Have you seen Jerry's and Marty's Marauder? Street legal and State inspected? :depress: Their cars are stripped RACE cars;) . I do agree they should be 4.6 blocks though...

Trilogy1 is registered, insured, and completely street legal.

MarauderTJA
07-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Trilogy1 is registered, insured, and completely street legal.

Really?:eek: But Chucky, where are we going to sit in the car to go have a beer and cigar? :lol: My fat butt has some cushion, but your in trouble. Street legal is somewhat pushing it. It still is a Race Car more than a daily street driven car. Don't you agree?

Tallboy
07-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Really?:eek: But Chucky, where are we going to sit in the car to go have a beer and cigar? :lol: My fat butt has some cushion, but your in trouble. Street legal is somewhat pushing it. It still is Race Car more than a daily driven street. Don't you agree?

No, I don't. The car is equipped with 4 Corbeau racing seats. The A/C, P/S, cruise control, and wipers still work fine. OEM radio and CD player intact. Jerry takes his daughter to school in it. Despite my pleas to actually make it a race car, and rip out the A/C, etc., He has yet to do so.

MarauderTJA
07-30-2006, 06:27 AM
No, I don't. The car is equipped with 4 Corbeau racing seats. The A/C, P/S, cruise control, and wipers still work fine. OEM radio and CD player intact. Jerry takes his daughter to school in it. Despite my pleas to actually make it a race car, and rip out the A/C, etc., He has yet to do so.

When I saw his car at Bradenton in March, the interior was partially removed and there was ONE seat in the car....remember. That is what I was refering to in the post. I have not seen the car since then and was unware of the added seats etc..

martyo
07-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Shouldn't the players make the rules?

Jerry hasn't told me what to do and I haven't told him what to do. In fact, neither of us have ever seen each others cars in years. Although, I will admit that when I spoke to Jerry yesterday I did tell Jerry what tires not to run and tires pressures and Jerry gave me some ideas on what tires I could run.

By the way, the boys at Pro Speed take my car out all the time.

:rolleyes:

sailsmen
07-30-2006, 07:03 AM
I didn't discuss with the guy who saw the car what was meant by the interior being stripped.

I didn't queery him about the time it ran. I believe he said 9.8.

He is knowledgeable about cars, he owns a hopped up Nova show car.

I was only trying to find out about this Baytown Marauder.

Until Logan posted I had forgotten about the previous posts on the Baytown Marauder.

DEFYANT
07-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Ah screw it!

If its a Marauder and it's fastest with a time slip OR documented by an official 3rd party, (magazine, website...etc) - then that car is it.

I want it to be Marty, Jerry or anyone else from this site. But that may not be the case. :(

Bradley G
07-30-2006, 08:38 AM
I thought Jerry told me a month ago, he gutted #1 ; No hvac, radio, seats,ect.
I think it would be cool to have crank windows in a ten second Marauder.
Especially, one that has power to break the wheels loose, on the top end of the track!
HOLY ***** !~ :eek: ~!
If it looks like a duck?

Tallboy
07-30-2006, 08:48 AM
I thought Jerry told me a month ago, he gutted #1 ; No hvac, radio, seats,ect.
I think it would be cool to have crank windows in a ten second Marauder.
Especially, one that has power to break the wheels loose, on the top end of the track!
HOLY ***** !~ :eek: ~!
If it looks like a duck?

You are also wrong, old buddy! :D

OK everyone, last time: As of 5 minutes ago, Trilogy1 is registered and insured with current tags. The A/C, P/S, wipers, complete dash with airbags, Radio, C/D changer, Cruise Control, etc. are in tact and fully functional! The car has four seats with seatbelts.

How do I know? Easy. Jerry wouldn't dream about changing anything on T1 without checking with me first. :D

Bradley G
07-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Well , I wish I could dispute your claim with my own eyes.
I wanted to see #1 race this weekend in Joliet, but I waited till the last day Jerry is in town, and it is raining!:mad:
He probably changed his mind about the a/c and tunes(radio).

TooManyFords
07-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes, for it to be the fastest Marauder it still has to have the factory drivetrain in it No matter how much boost you run or how big you bore it out, it has to be the what the factory put in the car for it to be considered the "fastest" of that particular type of car.

I TOTALLY disagree! It's the VIN and the Body that make it a Marauder. Anything under (or poking through) the hood is still fair game!

John

HwyCruiser
07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
I TOTALLY disagree! It's the VIN and the Body that make it a Marauder. Anything under (or poking through) the hood is still fair game!

John

John, I'm pretty sure your iron block dq's you from ever reaching the title. NOT a Marauder.

teamrope
07-30-2006, 10:31 AM
The average Impala enthusiasts that I have met would not say that a 9 second wheel standing SS's time slip don't count because it's running a big block instead of the LT1 and the interior has been gutted. They would say that's one insane fast car and laugh at the Marauder because it can't run any faster than 11’s.

Why stifle ourselves with such silly restrictions as stock motor and full interior?

DEFYANT
07-30-2006, 10:36 AM
The average Impala enthusiasts that I have met would not say that a 9 second wheel standing SS's time slip don't count because it's running a big block instead of the LT1 and the interior has been gutted. They would say that's one insane fast car and laugh at the Marauder because it can't run any faster than 11’s.

Why stifle ourselves with such silly restrictions as stock motor and full interior?

+1

This message was too short. I needed to add at least 10 characters to post my post.

Tallboy
07-30-2006, 10:41 AM

Who's stifling? [E-dith!:D ]

I've always said "faster is faster". Having hung out with the Impala guys at SSHS5, I don't know of any one of them who would "laugh" at any Marauder. Especially after MarauderTJA reached the semi-finals with his rocket-ship.

Glenn
07-30-2006, 10:46 AM
ALL of the contentors on this Net for the World's fastest MM meet the stated criteria without exception and are completely streetable cars.

See you all at SSHS6 in November for some great action.

Glenn

Mrsteamrope
07-30-2006, 10:47 AM
wrong brouser....

MarauderTJA
07-30-2006, 10:49 AM

Yeah your right. Let's get back to the basics. If it is a Marauder and whether it was towed, trailered or driven to the track,

Run whatcha brung:D

teamrope
07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Who's stifling? :D

I've always said "faster is faster". Having hung out with the Impala guys at SSHS5, I don't know of any one of them who would "laugh" at any Marauder. Especially after MarauderTJA reached the semi-finals with his rocket-ship.

I ment that in a friendly trash talking way between the Bow Tie and the Blue Oval. :)

The average spectator isn't going to know anything about the car except for what kind of car it was and how fast it ran. :D

Dennis Reinhart
07-30-2006, 10:56 AM
The local Goodyear Store manager told me he was in Baytown, TX last weekend helping racing his buddies car and a turbo Marauder ran in the high 9's.

He said the interior was stripped.

Anybody know this Marauder.

How is your car Billy

MarauderTJA
07-30-2006, 10:57 AM
ALL of the contentors on this Net for the World's fastest MM meet the stated criteria without exception and are completely streetable cars.

See you all at SSHS6 in November for some great action.

Glenn

Ditto Glenn! With Jerry and Marty there, those Impala boys are going to be in for a real surprise. BTW, all of the Impala guys are a great bunch. We had a blast with them last year. Besides the J & M show, a few more of us will be raising some eye brows this year as well. Can't wait.:banana2:

martyo
07-30-2006, 11:08 AM
John, I'm pretty sure your iron block dq's you from ever reaching the title. NOT a Marauder.

Then I am out of the competition. My car is officially out of the running. All hail Jerry B., the new king.......unless he is not running a stock block. :rolleyes:

MarauderTJA
07-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Then I am out of the competition. My car is officially out of the running. All hail Jerry B., the new king.......unless he is not running a stock block. :rolleyes:

Yeah right:laugh: your out of the competition.....:wflag:.....pa leeeeze:D . Back to the basics once again, :director: run whatcha brung..

martyo
07-30-2006, 11:45 AM
run whatcha brung..

:D

http://www.ratfink.org/dragrace02/f100co1.jpg

sailsmen
07-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Marty, is your project still top secret or is it possible with the right clearance to see a list of mods?::)

martyo
07-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Marty, is your project still top secret or is it possible with the right clearance to see a list of mods?::)

All you have to do is come to SSHS6.

Glenn
07-30-2006, 01:21 PM
I cannot see where a stock aluminum block versus iron makes any difference in power or speed only improves durabilty. If any thing it adds weight and will heat soak quicker. It is a 4.6 engine and that is the main point. No disqualification here in my opinion. Let the contest continue.

Glenn

MarauderTJA
07-30-2006, 02:49 PM
:D

http://www.ratfink.org/dragrace02/f100co1.jpg

Marauder Marty....M - A- R - A - U - D - E -R, that's no Marauder:shake:

HwyCruiser
07-30-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm glad to see my reply to John's post didn't go unnoticed.

If in fact a Marauder ran a 9.x second 1/4 mile then it would be the fastest we've heard of so far. Would that be such a shocker? Just because they haven't posted about it here doesn't mean it didn't happen. Right now it's just a he said she said thing - but it would be a nice to hear the whole story first hand. Then again, maybe the owner couldn't care less telling us about it. Until then, the "the fastest documented mm.net member's Marauder" record stands.

David Morton
08-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Yup. Most of us gearheads are looking for an edge to get ourselves on top of the heap. But here at MM.net we have rules for our little forum title "Worlds fastest Marauder" and the NHRA be damned! Still, our rules aren't that far from NHRA guidelines for Super Stock.

But, technically "The worlds fastest Marauder" is a title that means only that and if a guy wants to gut his interior, yank out the A/C and P/S, put in a 2000HP Supercharged 570 cubic inch 9000 rpm big block under the hood with an Allison racing transmission behind it and even have the frame dipped and refab everything else in aluminum to drop the weight down to 2300 lbs., I suppose he could have that title with a 7 or so second machine. It would be a "Marauder" because it had sheet metal to match. But that would be more like a Funny Car, not a real Marauder.

It takes all kinds. I saw a guy with a Ford Econoline van once at the dragtstrip, did 8.x seconds. But I would question the sanity of somebody that would go to the extent of even taking out the 6 CD changer in order to make his Marauder go faster. That part, I don't get.

If the rules were up to me, it's stock block, heads & transmission, whatever you can do inside those is OK (even gas porting the pistons). Blowers, turbos and intercoolers allowed and no factory equipped stuff can be removed (including leather interior) Lastly, gasoline fuel only! Yes, in my book Nitrous Oxide is a cheat (let alone unsafe), we may as well let a guy build one to run on Nitromethane. But the board owner has allowed NOx, so I won't argue with the boss on that. I won't be modding mine with NOx. I'll be going with turbos. I want to be able to completely fuel mine at the gas station and not have to go somewhere else for another fueling requirement just to keep a bomb in the trunk. :lol:

SergntMac
08-19-2006, 06:58 PM
I cannot see where a stock aluminum block versus iron makes any difference in power or speed only improves durabilty. If any thing it adds weight and will heat soak quicker. It is a 4.6 engine and that is the main point. No disqualification here in my opinion. Let the contest continue. GlennBy and large, I tend to agree with you, Glenn, but with one reservation.

The stock Marauder WAP/NVH block is quite durable for most of us at our level of mods. But, a cast iron block offers some advantage in endurance and durability. A tuner/wrench could take a few more risks with the higher endurance/durability headroom, and those risks may have a significant payoff for a weekend or two, and surely when a "title" may be involved.

About two years ago, I met Mike Post, and I know Rich Groh, both local NMRA record holders. Mike spoke of taking (then) "last years" National title by an X.x5 edge, after a season of running neck and neck with competitors, including Rich. His final "edge" on the competition? Mike made his last pass to the win light fully drained of engine oil. That was enough to win, damn the engine damage. "It was old anyway", he added.

Mike made it. Mike won. And, this serves to show what risks some folks will take to win. This example may be out of sync with what we do here, and how we do it, but it serves us nonetheless.

For this reason, I'de give a little more respect to those of us that work with our natural limitations, such as our aluminum WAP/NVH block. Just a little. It creates a ceiling for performance across the board, and though I may be sentimental about this, it's why I have not moved up to an iron block yet. I've rebuilt my Marauder engine twice now, and I feel it necessary to stick to OEM Marauder parts as much as I can.

Sigh, shrug...Call me stupid, it's been said before. Carry on gents...

CRUZTAKER
08-19-2006, 07:29 PM
At a minimum a timeslip is required.

No shlt Mo...this is the 21st century...you'd think a 9 second Marauder would atleast be shorting a camera phone video on you tube.:P

CRUZTAKER
08-19-2006, 07:31 PM
...by an X.x5 edge...

There you go sportin' dot xxx's in your posts.
Haven't you learned from posterity. :cool4:

RCSignals
08-21-2006, 12:32 AM

A stripped Marauder is just another GM or CV.

RCSignals
08-21-2006, 12:37 AM
.......... will I be DQ'd?

and dipped.

we know how much you can't resist DQ.

prchrman
08-21-2006, 03:35 AM
9's is 9's...sounds like everywho he is...he does not care what we think...he is just having fun running 9's...get him to SSHS6...fo sure...

94_302
08-23-2006, 08:23 AM
A stripped Marauder is just another GM or CV.

So a vin means nothing as far as the true identity of a car?

RCSignals
08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
So a vin means nothing as far as the true identity of a car?

takes more than just a number/letter combination to make up a Marauder.
Strip off it's clothes and and drivetrain and it's just another CV or GM

magindat
08-25-2006, 05:43 AM
I am no contender. I'm hardly a racer. I'm the 'show car' guy amoungst us.

In that vein, may I offer an opinion?

I feel that the Marauder should still be a Marauder in SPIRIT. That spirit being a fully trimmed luxury car that's fast. Motor doesn't matter. Driveline doesn't matter. It should, however, sport a comfortable interior (even if it's racing seats). So what if you take three of four out to race. What's the dif between that and swapping to widened rims and drags?

Now, like the cavalier discussion above, if the car were gutted, aluminum race interior, no dash, no a\c, no airbags, no power steering, etc. Then it's a drag car and no longer carries the SPIRIT of a Marauder.

I have yet to hear of a car that does not still carry the Marauder SPIRIT. Even Marty's and Jerry's cars sound like they still could give you a comfortable, well handling, FAST road trip. Seems like John intends to keep his trimmed out, so it, too is still a Marauder.

So, Is my car NOT a Marauder? 2 tone paint? Aftermarket wheels? I think it still is. It still has it's SPIRIT and design cues hearken it back to it's 60's heritage.

Anyways, that's my humble take on it. It loses it's born identity when it looses the SPIRIT of what has always defined a Marauder - a really freakin fast luxury car.

FWIW....
Rich