PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Did you know this?

Mike Poore
07-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Excepting for it's looks, evidently the latest Chrysler PT Cruiser is not frought with problems as the older models; but on the used car market, aparently, it's one to avoid.:eek:
There's even a website devoted to the poor thing. :rolleyes:
http://www.ptcruiserproblems.com/chrysler/pt_cruiser/pt_cruiser_owner_complaints.ht m

MM2004
07-30-2006, 04:46 AM
Excepting for it's looks, evidently the latest Chrysler PT Cruiser is not frought with problems as the older models; but on the used car market, aparently, it's one to avoid.:eek:
There's even a website devoted to the poor thing. :rolleyes:
http://www.ptcruiserproblems.com/chrysler/pt_cruiser/pt_cruiser_owner_complaints.ht m

Interesting.

Doesn't matter to me as I never once considered owning one. :puke:

Mike.

Bluerauder
07-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Chrysler PT Cruiser ...
I am not familiar with the maintenance record of the PT Cruiser. However, I kinda like the design. Very reminiscent of the old gangster cars of the '20s and '30s. And, I think it proves that DCX engineers and designers are capable of thinking out of the box instead of recycling the tired old jelly bean style and shape of most everything else on the road today.

The PT Cruiser is distinctive and I can tell what it is from a mile away. On 90% of the stuff on the roads today, I find myself straining to see the grill emblem to figure out what it is.

That said .... the PT Cruiser just doesn't fit my needs -- so it's resale and maintenance will never affect me.

I once briefly considered a Chrysler Sebring Convertible. But once I drove one, I found it to be so terribly underpowered that the thought hasn't crossed my mind again. If the MM was made in a drop top -- the wife would have one.

rayjay
07-30-2006, 06:03 AM
When DC was gearing up to sell the PTs I wanted one in the worse way. Then they decided to put their POS 4 banger in it, no thanks. I owned a Plymouth Breeze for a couple years. Nice car for the family, but the 4 cylinder motor had problems with head gaskets. A $700 job only cost me $50 because DC knew of the problem. The day I traded it in there was a puddle of oil in my driveway, again...

MikesMerc
07-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Just another meaningless blog. Nothing new. You can google up one of these sites on just about any car.

shakes_26
07-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Strangely enough there is one about the MM too!!!!

Yeah its not nearly as well organized to show the problems in a quick easy research form, and its clouded with thinly vieled attacks by members on others, oh and there is a bunch of club related type activities and such.

Mike Poore
07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Just another meaningless blog. Nothing new. You can google up one of these sites on just about any car.

Mike, I should have gussed; there's prolly one about the Z-06.
It's just Barb and I saw a PT Cruiser conv. the other day, and started to look 'em up.
:burn:
Did you know they have a GT model with 230HP and a 5sp manual trans for about $24K, sticker, that should run like stink.

Anyway when I GOOGLED PT Cruiser, there was the website, and like I said, there were some serious issues with the early ones, (infant mortality?) but the later models seem to be OK.

Bigdogjim
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Strangely enough there is one about the MM too!!!!

Yeah its not nearly as well organized to show the problems in a quick easy research form, and its clouded with thinly vieled attacks by members on others, oh and there is a bunch of club related type activities and such.

Sounds a little like this site?

bigslim
07-31-2006, 12:05 PM
If you search long enough you will find one for every car out there. Most of us have better things to do with our time.:rolleyes:

bigslim
07-31-2006, 12:25 PM
BTW, I spent this past weekend with a lot of PT owners that thought the opposite. Here are some pictures from this weekend in St. Louis. BTW, there was no backstabbing or any bickering. Everyone had a blast. And yes Mike, most have more money tied up in them then you will ever have in your MM. Some have even run in the low 13"s. Does your car run that fast Mike? For your viewing pleasure.

bigslim
07-31-2006, 12:27 PM
How about some more Mike?

bigslim
07-31-2006, 12:28 PM
How about a few more.....

Tallboy
07-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Great pics, Slim!!! Thanks!!!:)

I love those cars.

Mike Poore
07-31-2006, 04:29 PM
A question, though. I see convertibles in the photos and on the road, but no mention of them in Chrysler's website. Are those after-market conversions?

MM2004
07-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Some pretty impressive paint jobs.

Where are all the "Cruiser" chicks? :rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Sounds a little like this site?

LMAO.....except that your comment is pretty darn close to reality Jim.

CRUZTAKER
07-31-2006, 06:51 PM
Shame on you Mike...:banned:

Time to go visit the amish and leave the PT subject alone.

DefyantExWife
07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
I'll take a sparkly lavendar one with a moonroof and sparkly plum purple flames. yup.

MI2QWK4U
07-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Nice Pics Darryl! Looks like you had a great time at the meet. Lots of sweet custom work from those pictures. I doubt any were named Sunshine?

DEFYANT
07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
I'll take a sparkly lavendar one with a moonroof and sparkly plum purple flames. yup.

:banned:

Marauders dont come in that color!

Nice pics Slim, thanks - thanks alot.

Bigdogjim
07-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Some pretty impressive paint jobs.

Where are all the "Cruiser" chicks? :rolleyes:

I guess it was only for PT "cruiser's" owners:rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
07-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Nice Pics Darryl! Looks like you had a great time at the meet. Lots of sweet custom work from those pictures. I doubt any were named Sunshine?

I would think a yellow PT would be called "Buttercup"?:laugh:

bigslim
07-31-2006, 11:14 PM
A question, though. I see convertibles in the photos and on the road, but no mention of them in Chrysler's website. Are those after-market conversions?
They started selling them back in 04'.

Mike Poore
08-01-2006, 03:08 AM
If you Google PT Cruiser, Chrysler's site comes up, but there's no mention of a conv. Then when I googled PT Cruiser Convertible, there it was. With roll bar, turbo, & 5sp, that's a very nice package. It stickers for 30K; but I bet you can negotiate some fairly good deals on 'em.

Haggis
08-01-2006, 03:29 AM
BTW, I spent this past weekend with a lot of PT owners that thought the opposite. Here are some pictures from this weekend in St. Louis. BTW, there was no backstabbing or any bickering. Everyone had a blast. And yes Mike, most have more money tied up in them then you will ever have in your MM. Some have even run in the low 13"s. Does your car run that fast Mike? For your viewing pleasure.
I don't care they are still some of the FUGLYIST cars out there. :puke:

MM2004
08-01-2006, 03:36 AM
I don't care they are still some of the FUGLYIST cars out there. :puke:

Tell us how you really feel Gordon,...

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Mike.

Bluerauder
08-01-2006, 04:08 AM
You were doing OK .... right up until the end. :rolleyes: :banned:

Yes, Slim ... terrific pics and it looks like it was a big turnout and fine time. :up:

Haggis
08-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Tell us how you really feel Gordon,...

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Mike.
Well since you asked Mike, I rate them right up there with the Element and Scion XB.

SergntMac
08-01-2006, 03:51 PM
When the PT Cruiser first came out, all I could think of was the Anglia based Gassers and Altered Fuel cars of my youth, and my drag race days gone by.

These imports (engineered by Ford for use in WWII England) left quite an impact on drag racing before the enthusiasm (and parts) died away. The "Thames panel" body style being the most popular of all back then.

Style-wise, they were scaled down visions of the 1940 full sized 4 door Ford military staff car, scaled down to fit on the streets and roads of England, where American vehicles proved bulky and inefficient. After the war, a pretty nifty conversion into a growing sport, drag racing.

At first sight, I had some hopes for the PT Cruiser, but they came to fall short of the mark. Still, there seem to be quite a few of them around now, and the owners all seem to have their own flair for modding, much like us I suppose.

IMHO, this would have been an ideal platform to offer in a 2 door panel delivery style body, with a hot pack for pizza/fast food delivery, and a cold pack for the Good Humor industry hidden ibnside, and without sacrifice of the flowing clean lines of a panel delivery design (anyone remember the 55-60 Chevrolet panel wagons?). Sadly, the utility side of this automobile was never flushed out, and IMHO, the PT missed one important possibility for establishing itself in an ever fickle automotive market.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/1940-1949/1948-Ford-Anglia-Thames-Delivery-Black-FA.htm

Now, I just know someone will imagine I'm ball busting here...Get a life, eh?

bigslim
08-01-2006, 05:32 PM
When the PT Cruiser first came out, all I could think of was the Anglia based Gassers and Altered Fuel cars of my youth, and my drag race days gone by.

These imports (engineered by Ford for use in WWII England) left quite an impact on drag racing before the enthusiasm (and parts) died away. The "Thames panel" body style being the most popular of all back then.

Style-wise, they were scaled down visions of the 1940 full sized 4 door Ford military staff car, scaled down to fit on the streets and roads of England, where American vehicles proved bulky and inefficient. After the war, a pretty nifty conversion into a growing sport, drag racing.

At first sight, I had some hopes for the PT Cruiser, but they came to fall short of the mark. Still, there seem to be quite a few of them around now, and the owners all seem to have their own flair for modding, much like us I suppose.

IMHO, this would have been an ideal platform to offer in a 2 door panel delivery style body, with a hot pack for pizza/fast food delivery, and a cold pack for the Good Humor industry hidden ibnside, and without sacrifice of the flowing clean lines of a panel delivery design (anyone remember the 55-60 Chevrolet panel wagons?). Sadly, the utility side of this automobile was never flushed out, and IMHO, the PT missed one important possibility for establishing itself in an ever fickle automotive market.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/1940-1949/1948-Ford-Anglia-Thames-Delivery-Black-FA.htm

Now, I just know someone will imagine I'm ball busting here...Get a life, eh?
Mac, I have to disagree with you on this one. The PT established itself quite well. With a car that sells in the range of 150,000 to 200,000 per year I would say that it has made quite an impact on the car scene. Also, I don't of a car that has as many aftermarket parts as this little car has.

On the performance side there are two turbo options. The base has a 150hp engine. The two upgrades are a 180hp lite-turbo and a 230hp turbo. With different stage upgrades these cars can have as much as 330 hp with just the stage 3 upgrade. I have seen some run it the mid to low 13's.

On the utilty side, there is a lot of things that you can do with this car. The rear seat folds down and be folded to the front or can be taken out completely. The front passenger's seat folds down so one can put long items in it. I have used my car to carry many big items.

The one thing I will say that knocks this car is it's gas milege. I got 24.5 miles to the gallon on my recent trip to St. Louis. That was at an average speed of 76mph and with the air on the whole time. In the city I get about 18mpg. Could be better for a car this size but I think it due to the weight it carries.

BTW, no one thinks that you are busting balls.....:beer:

MM2004
08-01-2006, 05:47 PM
I would have bet the mileage would be better on the PT. :confused:

My MM in Cleveland got 18 MPG city, and 22+ MPG highway.

THere was a hell of a lot of WOT's and quick jumps to 105, while averaging ~70 MPH the whole way home.

Mike.

bigslim
08-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I would have bet the mileage would be better on the PT. :confused:

My MM in Cleveland got 18 MPG city, and 22+ MPG highway.

THere was a hell of a lot of WOT's and quick jumps to 105, while averaging ~70 MPH the whole way home.

Mike.
These cars aren't known for their milege. A lot of weight for that 4 banger.

SergntMac
08-01-2006, 05:53 PM
BTW, no one thinks that you are busting balls.....:beer:I'm pleased to see you say so.

I was just thinking about my early impressions of the PT, and how I think there could have been more. Nonetheless, yes, it's quite popular in my area, and no two I have seen are alike, once you look pause to look closely. Surely, a fresh canvass for the artist in us all, much like the Marauder, eh? No two alike, when you look up close and personal.