PDA

View Full Version : Your top 5 punk bands

Motorhead350
08-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Yes I'm getting another music topic going. I know a few of you dig punk or used to back in the day when it was real, fun and rebellious, wish I was born in time for that.:alone: Here are the rules... The bands don't have to be in order if you can't decide, nothing new is allowed because there is no new punk... or at least that we know of. Example... rise against and anti-flag do not count because not only are they not punk they simply suck. Some bands that are worth mentioning are The Clash and The Stooges. And Who could forget THE RAMONES! Alright heres my top 5

1.Ramones
2.Cramps
3.Misfits (Danzig era only)
4.Operation Ivy
5.Black Flag !i!i

No real order except for my top 2

Big Joe P
08-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Damn, only 5... I've made a living off punk rock since 1984...
1. Sex Pistols
2. Ramones
3. Black Flag
4. Social Distortion
5. NOFX

CRUZTAKER
08-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Difficult for me to pull any more names out of the hat now...

I once was a big Wendy O fan (plasmatics)...or was that metal?

Unfortunately she was banned from the city of Cleveland for life when I was but a new concert goer. :rolleyes:

BigCars4Ever
08-06-2006, 08:05 AM
1)Ramones
2)Gen X
3)Clash
4)Sex Pistols
5)Green Day

SergntMac
08-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I was listening to some Paul Revere and the Raiders last night...They were smart azzed punks in their day.

Motorhead350
08-06-2006, 09:45 AM
I was listening to some Paul Revere and the Raiders last night...They were smart azzed punks in their day.
Yea that song SS 396 is something else. "Forget about your Hemi's and GTO's/ I got something new and she reallys goes." Putting down the Mopars and other songs! What a bunch of punks! :eek:

hdirish50
08-06-2006, 03:05 PM
The Exploited
The Circle Jerks
Suicidal Tendencies
Sex Pistols
The Clash
:rock:

Haggis
08-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Electric Frankstein.

Marauder386
08-06-2006, 04:55 PM
1. Black Flag
2. Suicidal Tendencies
3. The Clash
4. The Ramones
5. Corrosion of Conformity

Motorhead350
08-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Wow I didn't know anyone knew of Suicidal Tendencies on here. :eek: You can't beat their first album.

Meteorite
08-06-2006, 07:53 PM
The Seeds

Stooges

Richard Hell & the VoidOids

Plasmatics

Sex Pistols

Motorhead350
08-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Richard Hell? Wow some actually know what I'm talking about. No Fun is one of the best punk songs ever I'd say. Yes I know it's a Stooges song.

Meteorite
08-07-2006, 03:37 AM
Richard Hell? Wow some actually know what I'm talking about. No Fun is one of the best punk songs ever I'd say. Yes I know it's a Stooges song.
I saw Richard Hell 3 or 4 times at C.B.G.B. back in the late 1970s. I would remember more of the songs if I hadn't drunk so much. But I remember the feeling, for sure.

No Fun is a great tune, no doubt.

GA-Marauder
08-07-2006, 06:50 AM
With my favorite songs:

Clash - London Calling
Stooges - No Fun (good call)
Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen (:censor: in UK)
Patti Smith - Gloria
Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated :bows:

I know, most are easy calls, but they sure are the ones that stuck with me.:rolleyes:

magindat
08-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Dead Milkmen

Suicidal Tendencies

KMFDM

Front 242

Ministry (post Twitch)

MarauderMarc
08-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Suicidal Tendancies "institutionalized" Kicks AZZ!!!!! All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, but she wouldnt give it to me, Just one Pepsi......GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Marauder386
08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Wow I didn't know anyone knew of Suicidal Tendencies on here. :eek: You can't beat their first album.

I may be old, but I aint dead....ya know ? Hehehehe....Just one Pepsi please...

:cool:

Motorhead350
08-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Cool. I guess me and Dragcity are the only ones who like The Cramps. :D

StevenJ
08-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Does Judas Priest count as punk? That's really the only one I ever listened too! Oh well....

*EDIT I had a friend who really liked the Misfits. I heard a few of their cds. They are pretty good too...

I'm too stuck on 80's metal like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, etc.

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
I don't think they are punk, but Suicidal Tendencies was considered a mix of punk and metal to form speed metal.

magindat
08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Suicidal Tendancies "institutionalized" Kicks AZZ!!!!! All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, but she wouldnt give it to me, Just one Pepsi......GOTTA LOVE IT!!!
Dead Milkmen's B!tchin' Camaro:

I've got a
B!TCHIN CAMARO!.....

B!TCHIN CAMARO, B!TCHIN CAMARO
I ran over my neighbors, B!TCHIN CAMARO, B!TCHIN CAMARO,
Now I'm in all the papers.
My folks bought me a B!TCHIN CAMARO with no insurance to match;
So if I happen to run you down, please don't leave a scratch.
I ran over some old lady one night at the county fair;
And I didn't get arrested, because my dad's the mayor.
Doughnuts on your lawn
Tony Orlando and Dawn
When I drive past the kids, they all spit and cuss,
Because I've got a B!TCHIN CAMARO and they have to ride the bus.
So you'd better get out of my way, when I run through your yard;
Because I've got a B!TCHIN CAMARO;
And an Exxon credit card.
Hey, man where ya headed?
I drive on unleaded

Now that kicks AZZ!

Lone_Star
08-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Dropkick Murphy's
Flogging Molly
MXPX

And of course those already stated.

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Flogging Molly
MXPX

:nono:

*****in Camaro :up:
I forgot about that song

MarauderMarc
08-08-2006, 01:22 PM
What bout the Dead Kennedys?

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Dead Kennedys are totally punk dude! Police Truck and Buzzbomb rule

Haggis
08-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Does Judas Priest count as punk? That's really the only one I ever listened too! Oh well....

*EDIT I had a friend who really liked the Misfits. I heard a few of their cds. They are pretty good too...

I'm too stuck on 80's metal like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, etc.
Now your talking....lets talk METAL. Even though I don't consider Van Halen or Sammy Heavy Metal.

mtnh
08-09-2006, 09:22 AM
I like the Streets, they are pretty good on XM once in a while, they even made the late night variety shows recently. Check out "You're fit, but don't you just know it"

Who can forget Ian Dury and the Blockheads, "Sex and drugs and rock and roll," "Wake up, and make love to me"...

The Lemonheads

And a couple of cool_named bands, seen at the better record shops, The Ass Ponies, The Queers, :lol:

Can't you call "The Police" punk rock? I guess that they would be crossover punk to alternative.

Could you classify The Pretenders as punk?

Anyone ever heard of "Dogzilla"? They used to get air play in Boston with a tune called "Lunch With Ed", which refers to how you have to brown-nose to get anywhere "in the corporate world."

I'm glad this post has survived the test of time..for now. :D

Mike

Motorhead350
08-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Dude The Queers are awesome!!! Know of Screeching Weasel or The Nobodys? eventough they are punk pop and not that crappy pop punk.

StevenJ
08-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Now your talking....lets talk METAL. Even though I don't consider Van Halen or Sammy Heavy Metal.

You ever heard of Saxon? They don't really play here in the US but they are one of my favorite all time 80's bands. They are one of the greatest British metal bands ever! Different from Ozzy by far. They are kind of like Iron Maiden but different. Just search google for Saxon 747. You can order their cds at amazon if you want. You gotta hear Heavy Metal Thunder and Dallas 1 PM.

Haggis
08-10-2006, 03:27 AM
You ever heard of Saxon? They don't really play here in the US but they are one of my favorite all time 80's bands. They are one of the greatest British metal bands ever! Different from Ozzy by far. They are kind of like Iron Maiden but different. Just search google for Saxon 747. You can order their cds at amazon if you want. You gotta hear Heavy Metal Thunder and Dallas 1 PM.
Of course I heard of Saxon, have 'Dogs of War' on Cd. I can pick up their CDs at the local store. Have you ever heard of Paragon? Great German metal band.

StevenJ
08-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Paragon? No I'll have to check it out. Odd you found Saxon being sold locally? I've tried every best buy and a number ore reputable music stores and nothing turned up. I'll have to check it out, Paragon, that is. Are they anything like The Scorpions? Well, they are German too :P.

Haggis
08-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Paragon (http://www.paragon-legions.com/) is a power metal band similar to Iron Maiden. Other German Metal bands I like are Megaherz (http://www.megaherz.de/), Rammstein (http://www.rammstein.com/_LittleRose/News/) and In Extremo (http://www.inextremo.de/homepage.php3?IE=1). There are more if you are interested

Motorhead350
08-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Believe it or not Nirvana is punk

StevenJ
08-12-2006, 08:33 PM
WTF? I always thought they were alternative! Nirvana, you sure?

Haggis
08-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Believe it or not Nirvana is punk
or is that...junk.

CRUZTAKER
11-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Ahhh...so much iPod, so little resources....:P

Hey Dom, how about resurrecting this thread and posting your TEN favorite punk bands?

You folks have really enlightened me.
Of those listed, I have aquired music from every one of them.

I had forgotten how good Sex Pistols were.

I was really pleased with how good the music from The Stooges was. I was always aware of Iggy Pop, but no so deeply.

NOFX rocks!

Post more!

Please!;)

Motorhead350
11-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Post more? Alright. Nirvana is punk to some, but most call them grunge. If you read books and stuff you'll find out that because of Nirvana bands like Green Day and The Offspring were signed because of the sucess of Nirvana. Kurt killed himself because he regreated signing to a major label and there was only one way out... suicide. No matter how many times he tried to ruin his carrier by screaming out his vocals live or being completely distructive... it only brought them more fame.

Lets see... I can't stop listening to The Cramps and love them with a passion right now. The only bands I have gone this crazy over were Green Day (back in the 90's) and The Ramones. My god The Cramps are awesome, but to me they aren't punk their rock n' roll!

I haven't looked at my list again, but heres my top 10 "punk" bands:
1. Ramones
2. Cramps
3. Misfits
4. Queers
5. Black Flag
6. Suicidal Tendencies (1st album)
7. No Bodys
8. Screeching Weasel
9. Operation Ivy
10. The Heartbreakers

Maybe the order is wrong except for my top 2.

LILALLEYKATT
11-21-2006, 08:56 PM
What about the New York Dolls...Anyone remember them...Didnt they have a song called "Stranded in the Jungle"?

Motorhead350
11-21-2006, 09:04 PM
What about the New York Dolls...Anyone remember them...Didnt they have a song called "Stranded in the Jungle"?

Yea, but I liked the Johnny Thunders stuff more. My favorite is Trash. Johnny Thunders' Born to Lose is one of the best punk songs in my opinion, but it seems like every fan of his does coke or something stupid. I don't know why, I guess it has to do with the music. Seems like all Social Distortion fans love cars (old school American) beer and smokes. Clash fans like almost any type of music. Most Minor Threat fans are Straight Edge. Dead kennedys fans hate the presidet... exc. I guess music influences people.

VNMUS
11-21-2006, 09:25 PM
A few points I need to mention...

Seen Saxon live in the UK a few times. Biff Bifford had a great voice. My favorite songs are 747 & Dallas 1pm.

Nirvana was never Punk, not even in their early days. Be serious guys!

My top 5 Punk Bands in no order...

1) Angelic Upstarts
2) Buzzcocks
3) Skids
4) Sex Pistols
5) Dead Kennedys

AstroVic
11-21-2006, 09:32 PM
1. Minor Threat (the best ever!)
2. D.R.I. (great live band!)
3. Suicidal Tendencies (awesome shows!)
4. Circle Jerks (one of the craziest shows I've ever attended!)
5.-tie. Black Flag
5.-tie. Misfits

I also was a big fan of:

G.B.H.
The Dead Kennedys
Ludichrist
The Dead Milkmen
.....and many others I can't think of right now!

Motorhead350
11-21-2006, 11:19 PM
\
Nirvana was never Punk, not even in their early days. Be serious guys!

/

I thought that way too until I read a few books and listened to something besides their radio singles. I'm convinced, but I don't think too many are. AstroVic I am very jelious that you got to see S.T. live! Jelious Again

VNMUS
11-21-2006, 11:30 PM
I thought that way too until I read a few books and listened to something besides their radio singles. I'm convinced, but I don't think too many are. AstroVic I am very jelious that you got to see S.T. live! Jelious Again
Saw them live back in the Bleach days. I also have their whole back catalog on CD including many unreleased songs. This is not a punk band. What publications have you been reading?

Motorhead350
11-21-2006, 11:55 PM
One book on the life of Kurt, his journal, 25 years or punk and Nirvana is mentioned... Mike Ness thought they were a punk band too. I still don't quite agree on this subject, but I don't disagree. Like if someone said Nirvana was a good punk band I would say well their kinda punk and to some they are. Their in that iffy area with me right now. I used to think Green Day was a punk band (think back over 10 years ago) and I think Rancid had some good albums in the mid 90's too.

Bottom line is Nirvana punk? Well I think their a little of everything punk being one of them... not all. I don't think you have to be locked into one thing to be punk. Look at The Queers (very poppy, but we all know theres no such think as pop-punk) The Clash had a lot of regee, Blondie was a 60's pop sounding group early and were considered punk, Talking Heads too went all over the place and Televison doesn't sound punk at all to me... I think you get my point. See it goes all over the place.

Bluerauder
11-22-2006, 05:31 AM
1.John Philip Souza
2.Benny Goodman
3.Glenn Miller
4.Tommy Dorsey
5.Les Brown

My kinda punks ...... :D

Haggis
11-22-2006, 05:53 AM
1.John Philip Souza
2.Benny Goodman
3.Glenn Miller
4.Tommy Dorsey
5.Les Brown

My kinda punks ...... :D

You forgot:

Frank Sinantra
Dean Martin
Tony Bennett
Bing Crosby

ckadiddle
11-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Sorry, I don't think I know any punk bands..... Are these punk? Close enough? Heck, I dunno, whatever.

The Knack
B-52s

Motorhead350
11-22-2006, 01:30 PM
I think B-52s are new wave or something like that which is a spinoff of punk. The male singer in the B-52s always reminded me of Jello from Dead Kennedys... . his voice that is.

CRUZTAKER
11-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I found this website....and begun the mass download....

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_punk.html

The first I found to my liking was FUGAZI.:rock:

Not even on anyones list yet.

Motorhead350
11-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Someone said Minor Threat so that relates to Fugazi I guess.

Motorhead350
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
How is reel big fish on there? WTF? The Cramps aren't..... that list sucks.

VNMUS
11-26-2006, 10:12 PM
I found this website....and begun the mass download....

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_punk.html

The first I found to my liking was FUGAZI.:rock:

Not even on anyones list yet.
Fugazi have been around for a long time.

VNMUS
11-26-2006, 10:15 PM
A band I forgot to add to my list...

Siouxsie and the Banshees.

VNMUS
11-26-2006, 10:18 PM
And of course Stiff Little Fingers. I have a lot of their stuff on vinyl. I'm a huge Pogues fan (Shane McGowan), but they're definately not punk.

Motorhead350
11-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Does anyone know who Pete Ubu is?

VNMUS
11-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Does anyone know who Pete Ubu is?
Do you mean Pere Ubu?

Motorhead350
11-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes I did... whoops. Someone knows who I am talking about or trying to talk about. :o

VNMUS
11-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Yes I did... whoops. Someone knows who I am talking about or trying to talk about. :o
Heh heh :cool:

Motorhead350
11-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Final Solution is one of my favorites of all time. Love those lyrics and vocals.

MarauderMark
11-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Kaptain Kool and the Kongs ah,
Osmond brothers
Captain Noah and his wife=True punks
Ernie from Ernie and bert doing the rubber ducky song
Seriously though we have 3 16 yr olds called Flash Grenade and there really good..

KAILUAZ
11-27-2006, 06:49 AM
1. Agent Orange
2. Black Flag
3. Minor Threat
4. Bad Brains
5. Suicidal Tendencies

Not punk but kick ass non the less; The Cult, Violent Femmes, Bauhaus, Dead Milkmen, Corrosion of Conformity, Butthole Surfers.

Wow I want to jump on my old skateboard and go thrash stuff (although Id break my neck now).

Motorhead350
11-27-2006, 01:24 PM
ahh someone is into the early 80s stuff. Cool. Although I don't know when Agent Orange formed, I know the rest are 80s bands... oh wait Black Flag formed in 1979, Minor Threat in 1980, Suicidal Tendencies 1982 and I don't know about The Bad Brains. These are considered post punk/ hardcore punk I believe. Ever seen a pic of Henry Rollins skateboarding? He knew how to ride six at once by using his forearms. Pretty cool pic.

Dragcity
11-27-2006, 01:42 PM
My Brother-In-Laws favorite...

"Captain Schitstain and The Asswipes"

That's what he used to call all my music years ago....

Any of you Michigan people ever heard of the Rubber City Rebels ???

I have their only LP. Heck, I think they only sold one.... Although they were featured in a film once, many years ago....

Motorhead350
11-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Yes I know who you are talking about. :)

Haggis
11-28-2006, 04:25 AM
Electric Frankstein