PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions....

MI2QWK4U
08-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, my fears were realized today. I never thought I would have a chance at a Shelby GT500....well, I guess that just aint so. A dealership is getting in a couple of SHelbys, on a convertable, the other a coupe. They will be selling it for sticker to one of their good customers. If she was right, it will be the exact color combo I wanted. Its still up in the air, but they have NOT decided who gets the Shelbys yet, but since my garage is full of Fords from them already, I am just as good of a customer as they could want. Now it may be time to make a real hard decision.....to buy or not to buy, on of the hottest cars on the road for the forseeable future..... What should I do Marty?
By the way.....this is the color I want, and what they have on order....Dammmm
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/shows/detroit06/shelby/35.jpg
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/shows/detroit06/shelby/18.jpg
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/07/GT500-0614-8.jpg

Blackened300a
08-06-2006, 06:01 PM
I say DO IT!!!!
If you dont, then we will have to read through numerous Threads about how you are kicking yourself for letting this opportunity pass you by!

Eric91Z
08-06-2006, 06:02 PM
After seeing one in person last night (black with charcoal stripes and black interior), I would say go for it. Absoutely stunning car!!!!

Tallboy
08-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Buy the car!!! :cool:

MI2QWK4U
08-06-2006, 06:14 PM
You guys arent helping!

Tallboy
08-06-2006, 06:16 PM
You guys arent helping!

I'm not tryin' to!:P

I figure if you buy the Shelby, the next time I'm in town, you'll toss me the keys to the Mach1 without thinking twice!!:D

Marauder386
08-06-2006, 06:17 PM
....Would it motivate if you knew you had some friendly South Carolina competition ? I am going for the black and charcoal hardtop....

Dont blink now...:)

:cool:

supa_carrot
08-06-2006, 06:19 PM
What regrets would you have from buying it? Too slow:rolleyes:?

MI2QWK4U
08-06-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm not tryin' to!:P

I figure if you buy the Shelby, the next time I'm in town, you'll toss me the keys to the Mach1 without thinking twice!!:D

Well....if the Mach is still around. I think something will have to go...thats the hard decision to make, every one means something different and special to me...I dont ever part with my cars...

Hotrauder
08-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Dave, buy the car. What better chance? Who more deserving? Buy the car. Hell it should be standard issue to a MM.net administator. Call Logan, now.Dennis:D

sweetair
08-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Is there going to be any dealer mark-up? There was a convertable last night @ Mt Airy MD where the guy pd 20k over MSRP. That would equate to 68K for it. That seems like a lot to me. If it is for sticker, there would not be a hesitation from myself. Other wise I would pass for now. Now go get it!!:D

jgc61sr2002
08-06-2006, 06:36 PM
You know what you want to do.:D Go for it. Good luck.:D Very nice ride.:up:

00 Aggie
08-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Save your cash and buy an 03-04!

(that way there are more Shelbys out there when I go get one!)

MI2QWK4U
08-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Is there going to be any dealer mark-up? There was a convertable last night @ Mt Airy MD where the guy pd 20k over MSRP. That would equate to 68K for it. That seems like a lot to me. If it is for sticker, there would not be a hesitation from myself. Other wise I would pass for now. Now go get it!!:D

No mark up....straight sticker price. I wannna big time! Who has the best lowest interest rate!?!?

STLR FN
08-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Dave as enthusiatic as you were talking to said person I say got for it. Now you just have to convince said person not to change the red on order the to the black one. And no I'm not helping either. Remember you said I am evil. :D

DEFYANT
08-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Gee, umm, lemme think about this....

Dave - Buy The Shelby!!!!!!!!!!!

sweetair
08-06-2006, 07:45 PM
No mark up....straight sticker price. I wannna big time! Who has the best lowest interest rate!?!?I've always had good luck with USAA. You might want to try OBA Bank(very Small) or INGdirect. I am not sure if they do auto loans, but if they did, they would be competitive. Good luck. Go get it.

94_302
08-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I wonder if these will help you in your decision......
Right click Save as (http://www.03svtcobra.net/BladesVideos/ShelbyGT500%5b1%5d.1500Kbps.wm v) (Shelby video a member on svtperformance)

Video links
Shelby on the dyno (http://videos.streetfire.net/search/shelby/1/e462990f-6602-4d95-8cae-980601886876.htm)
Rev up in Utah (http://videos.streetfire.net/search/shelby/0/96f29dbd-a980-4a7d-a6ad-981100e8286f.htm)
Shelby at Road America (http://videos.streetfire.net/search/shelby/0/8bb910b7-7df0-4550-a572-e38d0dc25293.htm)
Shelby at Road America (more pics than vid) (http://media.putfile.com/Shelby)
(http://videos.streetfire.net/search/shelby/1/e462990f-6602-4d95-8cae-980601886876.htm)

Marauderjack
08-07-2006, 03:40 AM
Buy it....If you really have the chance.....Then re-sell it (If you have second thoughts) and make a profit??:beer: Kinda like Harley guys used to do!!:banana:

Marauderjack:bandit:

Rick-n-Miami
08-07-2006, 04:08 AM
Ok. I'll play the part of the evil Chevy guy (which I'm not). As much as I like Fords, I would not buy this car. I'd take the money and get a new Z06. Better yet, wait a bit and get the new Z06 Stingray. In my opinion, more bang for the buck.

There, I said it. Let the flames begin :)

RoyLPita
08-07-2006, 04:47 AM
Get me a VIN???

shakes_26
08-07-2006, 05:17 AM
You can do IT!!!!

shakes_26
08-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Ok. I'll play the part of the evil Chevy guy (which I'm not). As much as I like Fords, I would not buy this car. I'd take the money and get a new Z06. Better yet, wait a bit and get the new Z06 Stingray. In my opinion, more bang for the buck.

There, I said it. Let the flames begin :)

Rick, I'm there with you, but uh pardon me, did you wake up this morning tripping over some spare bundles of cash? The Z06 weighs in at nearly 70 large.

MarauderTJA
08-07-2006, 05:36 AM
Buy the car Dave....I am #2 on a list in PA, I should hear next week while I am there what the story is...don't think it will be MSRP sticker though...:depress:

Rick-n-Miami
08-07-2006, 05:48 AM
Yes, 70k. However, I'll be surprised if the Shelby is much less than that :)

Rick, I'm there with you, but uh pardon me, did you wake up this morning tripping over some spare bundles of cash? The Z06 weighs in at nearly 70 large.

Bluerauder
08-07-2006, 06:09 AM
Now it may be time to make a real hard decision.....to buy or not to buy, on of the hottest cars on the road for the forseeable future..... What should I do Marty?
Dave, sounds like you really want it. If you have the cash flow to make it happen without mortgaging the farm, I'd say go for it. :D No regrets later on. If the $ will push you into a cramped zone ... you should probably pass up the opportunity (for now) and maybe catch one as they become available from the Repo man. :rolleyes:

ckadiddle
08-07-2006, 07:43 AM
No mark up....straight sticker price. I wannna big time! Who has the best lowest interest rate!?!?
Credit Union!!! If you don't already belong to one, find one to join right now!

shakes_26
08-07-2006, 07:49 AM
The Man said they were being sold at MSRP. should be around 45k.

Nerd alert

Alternatively measured in inches, this could be represented by a stack of fresh 100's 1.935" thick. The Z06 would require nearly a brick's worth, measuring in at 3.01". :rolleyes:

I'm bored. :P

Yes, 70k. However, I'll be surprised if the Shelby is much less than that :)

the_pack_rat
08-07-2006, 10:22 AM
If I had what you have & had to choose .....

Keep the MM & lose the (2) newest Stangs that you have now, freeing up some cash for the Shelby.

I would keep the older Mustang - the white 85.
(going by memory on the year of it).

the_pack_rat
08-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Nerd alert

Alternatively measured in inches, this could be represented by a stack of fresh 100's 1.935" thick. The Z06 would require nearly a brick's worth, measuring in at 3.01".

Someday -

I'd love to have that much spare change just laying around the house .....

Where I could pop open a beer ..... & see if the /\ above /\ statement is indeed accurate ..... for nothing more than gits & shiggles.

Most 100's I ever had at once, was $20K worth.

Tallboy
08-07-2006, 11:49 AM

Nerd alert

Alternatively measured in inches, this could be represented by a stack of fresh 100's 1.935" thick. The Z06 would require nearly a brick's worth, measuring in at 3.01". :rolleyes:

Countin' your money again??? :D

RoyLPita
08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Countin' your money again??? :D

Now, how much does it weigh????? I knew someone that wanted a 10 lb of 100s.

MAD-3R
08-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Like BlueRauder said. As long as you will be able to meet your other obligations, I say go for it.

Bluerauder
08-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Someday -

I'd love to have that much spare change just laying around the house .....

Where I could pop open a beer ..... & see if the /\ above /\ statement is indeed accurate ..... for nothing more than gits & shiggles.

Most 100's I ever had at once, was $20K worth.
It ain't as much fun as you would think. :( I once had an "extra" duties as a disinterested survey officer required to do a spot verification of a US Army finance and accounting office. I had to count over $1 Million in paper money. Mostly $20 bills at the time. It took quite awhile and my fingers and hands were stained green for a week..... and I used Bon Ami !! :rofl:

Maybe it would have been more fun if it were mine --- but I don't think so. :rolleyes: It's a drudge and a pain to count that much in bills. :o

Pat
08-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Think of it as an investment opportunity. Ford has already announced a limited schedule in both quantity and years of production.

If you can get it at sticker, low to mid 40's then it's a bargain. Surcharge here is more than 10K, as others stated it may be up to 20K.

You can then keep it for a few years (or more) and sell it for what you paid plus add your own surcharge, I'll venture there won't be any depreciation.

The question is are you wealthy enough? If so, will you adopt me?

MI2QWK4U
08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Well, the car will MSRP at $42,825 (including options and gas tax). They will not be charging anything over MSRP. That is why it really has peaked my interest. Just a week ago I am looking at a Bullitt with 1100 miles on it and a real nice teal 93 Cobra, then this opportunity falls in my lap. Its like going from a mustang fan to a connoisseur. The dealership is looking for people that will keep the car, and not flip it for a profit.

the_pack_rat
08-07-2006, 02:42 PM
It ain't as much fun as you would think. :( I once had an "extra" duties as a disinterested survey officer required to do a spot verification of a US Army finance and accounting office. I had to count over $1 Million in paper money. Mostly $20 bills at the time. It took quite awhile and my fingers and hands were stained green for a week..... and I used Bon Ami !! :rofl:

Maybe it would have been more fun if it were mine --- but I don't think so. :rolleyes: It's a drudge and a pain to count that much in bills. :o
Yea but .....

If you can potentially keep that sort of cash around the house at any given time w/o a care in the world, or no other use or need for it ..... the task of counting it, would be purely for entertainment purposes, rather than an actual need.

:P

I was glad to have been rid of that $20K in cash. Well not glad to be $20K poorer ..... but I didn't like having to carry all that around for 24 hours. I also thought I may have been able to save myself a $1K by paying with the cash ... but he wouldn't budge on the price.

Interesting to note how much flack the bank gave me when I did that too. They seemed quite put out by my wanting to take MY money out in cash.

:confused:

Had I not had outstanding checks out in the street at the time ..... I was going to take the originally planned $20K in cash & tell them I was taking the entire account balance in the form of a cashiers check - close out my account effective immeadiately & kiss my arse. I figured if they couldn't play nice with me .....

I'd just pick up all my toys & go play somewhere else.

:rolleyes:

TAF
08-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Sell ALL the Mustangs you currently have...and GET IT!!!!

After you have it...all the others will seem like "brides-maids" compared to the Shelby.

Just my thoughts....

Hotrauder
08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
The Shelby in the garage with her red headed step sisters. Nice mental pic but Todd is right. Chaff and wheat. Go get the damn thing while it still is available or get the hell out of the road and :rofl: loose the hounds. Dennis

txmarauder
08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
If you can afford it than go for it. I am wise enough to know that next year will be something better, which means i will never buy a new car again. Bet all the cobra R guys said the same thing you are saying right now, something to think about. Limited years and production dont mean crap for an investment, look at our cars.

hdirish50
08-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Buy The Car, Buy The Car, Buy The Car

Vortex
08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Ill be curious how this car compares with a GT with 300 hp. I know its quicker, but is it 16k quicker?

martyo
08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Buy it and sell it to me. Seriously. My deal on one from a Ford store in TN is looking "iffy" because they are favoring the local customers.

MI2QWK4U
08-07-2006, 04:09 PM
I dont think it will happen. They may not be getting in the Red w/white Stripped Coupe after all. It appears that it will be black w/grey stripes, way to blah for 42K. I want BLAMMMMM in your face instant recognition...Almost had the wife sold on it.

Bluerauder
08-07-2006, 04:14 PM
I dont think it will happen. They may not be getting in the Red w/white Stripped Coupe after all.
This is a clear case of "Premature Rejection". ;)

MI2QWK4U
08-07-2006, 04:18 PM
This is a clear case of "Premature Rejection". ;)

No need to rub it in...I am feeling bad enough already, very bummed. Still a chance, but very slim. I hate black on a Mustang damnit.

Donny Carlson
08-07-2006, 06:20 PM

Nerd alert

Too bad we don't get paid by the inch. ;)

(the "I could afford THREE Shelbys" humor may now commence...)

bigslim
08-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Ill be curious how this car compares with a GT with 300 hp. I know its quicker, but is it 16k quicker?
It is not much faster than the 04' Cobra. It weighs in at almost 4000 pds. I think the convertable tips the scales at 4038 pds. One rag-mag said that it doesn't even drive like a 500 hp car.

Silver_04
08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
I'd say Camaro.

MI2QWK4U
08-07-2006, 08:23 PM
I'd say Camaro.

Never...and I mean never. Not if it looks like the prototype. It looks like crap and they will have to work hard to finally get a Chevy like the Firebird or Camaro to beat the Mustang. Such an age old battle...I remember my bone stock 85 Mustang GT stomping the crap out of IROC Zs back in those days! 5.0L vs 5.7L... 302 vs 350... the chevies sucked then and they will again when the resurect the Camaro nameplate. Leave it to Chevy to play copy cat and try to create a retro look wanna be muscle car to compete with the Mustang. They *****ed up with the GTO, i mean cavelier, and they will drop the ball with the Camaro. It was fun crushing the IROCs back in the day with the 85, I look forward to chewing up the new camaro with either the 06 GT or the Shelby.

DEFYANT
08-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Never...and I mean never. Not if it looks like the prototype. It looks like crap and they will have to work hard to finally get a Chevy like the Firebird or Camaro to beat the Mustang. Such an age old battle...I remember my bone stock 85 Mustang GT stomping the crap out of IROC Zs back in those days! 5.0L vs 5.7L... 302 vs 350... the chevies sucked then and they will again when the resurect the Camaro nameplate. Leave it to Chevy to play copy cat and try to create a retro look wanna be muscle car to compete with the Mustang. They *****ed up with the GTO, i mean cavelier, and they will drop the ball with the Camaro. It was fun crushing the IROCs back in the day with the 85, I look forward to chewing up the new camaro with either the 06 GT or the Shelby.

...or the Marauder. :D

:drool: bring on the new Camaro! I got some room in the trunk for another ego.

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 03:13 AM
...or the Marauder. :D

:drool: bring on the new Camaro! I got some room in the trunk for another ego.

Thats a good point Charlie! but the Marauder outclasses the Camaro so much its not even in the same ballpark. I dont think anything chevy has will beat the Marauder. I figured the pony car will be more fun to romp and stomp that POS Camaro with!

Meteorite
08-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Never...and I mean never. Not if it looks like the prototype. It looks like crap ...
Thank you. That is my impression also.

Bluerauder
08-08-2006, 06:45 AM
No need to rub it in...I am feeling bad enough already, very bummed.
The comment was intended to lighten the mood a little. As I understood your initial post, there was only an "outside chance" that you would be in the running for the Shelby anyway. Not a "Sure Thing" by any means. Even if you had the $45K hanging out of your wallet .... others would be in line to offer just a little more to boost their place on the list. ;)

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I saw my first Shelby GT500 last Friday night. In Grabber Orange, Black Interior, convertible with the shaker hood. No side decal markings (that's an option???) The guy said his listed for $48K and it cost him $58K to get it.

I hope you are able to get your Shelby at some point -- maybe not today -- but soon. If DCX holds true to the "no markup" rule -- I'll have a Challenger -- maybe with the 6.1L. :dunno: :D

Mad4Macs
08-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Thank you. That is my impression also.

I'll agree with you both! The 'Stang, however... it was soooo droolworthy that when I 1st saw it, I SWORE never to visit the dealership, because I KNEW I'd take a GT home.
I held out for a whole year before my willpower failed, but when it did, it failed spectacularly!
(As an aside, I visited a dealership outside Bryan today. They're going to ask for a 30k premium above MSRP for the 2 Shelby's they're getting. OUCH!!!)

Joe Walsh
08-08-2006, 02:01 PM

That was a blast wasn't it??

After annialating countless saps in their lame 305 IROCs with my 85 5.0 GT, a whole new set of suckers appeared with the new 5.7 IROC Z.
They were VERY cocky with their new 350 V8s but they quickly found out that my little Ford 302 would STILL walk them!!!
I remember running one guy in a red 5.7 who thought that he had me on the top end....until I clicked it into 5th gear and waved BYE BYE!:D

BTW: I loved how GM used the same tuned port manifold from the 305 on the new 350...talk about choking out a V8 above 4500 rpm.

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I'd rather smoke all those cars with the Marauder. Get what you want though. Mustang GT 500 is no sleeper and I prefer sleepers. Thats just me.

Breadfan
08-08-2006, 02:12 PM
OK I'm gonna rain on your parade and get kicked out problably...lol.

Sure in '85 that was fun, but what about from 1993 to 2003? Until the '03 Cobra The Mustang GT couldn't keep up with a LS1 Z28, and the N/A Cobra's had trouble with the SS/WS6 versions.

And when Chevy put the 3800 V6 in the base Camaro it nearly outran the V8 GT until they upped the power in 1999.

:D

OK I'm feeling I might get banned for this. :)

Dave, I'm sorry the color isn't going to be what you want. It's a shame they can't swap...I take it the red on white is probably a tad more popular so the dealer may not be able to "swap" easily.

It's not the end, keep up the search and you may find one, and who knows the dealer may have a few tricks up their sleeve.

Best of luck to ya!

Oh and sorry for the otherside of Camaro vs. Mustang, look at my sig I own a Fox 'stang not a Camaro of that era for a reason. :D

Joe Walsh
08-08-2006, 02:16 PM

Sure in '85 that was fun, but what about from 1993 to 2003? Until the '03 Cobra The Mustang GT couldn't keep up with a LS1 Z28, and the N/A Cobra's had trouble with the SS/WS6 versions.
And when Chevy put the 3800 V6 in the base Camaro it nearly outran the V8 GT until they upped the power in 1999.

That's why I kept my 85 GT and modded it instead of buying a 93-02 Mustang.
Besides, the four eyed Stangs are the BEST looking late model Mustangs.
(severely biased opinion...:D )

Mad4Macs
08-08-2006, 02:53 PM

How "late is late"? :D I think the '05 + is the best looking 'Stang since the fastbacks of '67-'68 AND has the best build quality of ANY Pony EVER.
Don't make me post pictures, I'm worse than a 1st time grandparent :lol:
Oh, what the heck :D

Hold the press! It HAS "four eyes"!

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 02:56 PM
That was a blast wasn't it??

After annialating countless saps in their lame 305 IROCs with my 85 5.0 GT, a whole new set of suckers appeared with the new 5.7 IROC Z.
They were VERY cocky with their new 350 V8s but they quickly found out that my little Ford 302 would STILL walk them!!!
I remember running one guy in a red 5.7 who thought that he had me on the top end....until I clicked it into 5th gear and waved BYE BYE!:D

That's why I kept my 85 GT and modded it instead of buying a 93-02 Mustang.

You're Damn right Joe, it was a blast!
She smoked just about every chevy she ran against...and that was bone stock. Now with the built motor, trans, cobra brakes, and Lidio tune she is bone jarring brutal! My neighbors used to hate me driving it to work at 6 am! but the cool weather made her scream! I love those 85-86 four eyed wonders. I think those GTs are some of the best looking Mustangs ever built. Sorry, I had to look at the pics again!!! Nice, dont you think Joe?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_32_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_31_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_15_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_8_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_9_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_39_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_3_full.jpg

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
I'd rather smoke all those cars with the Marauder. Get what you want though. Mustang GT 500 is no sleeper and I prefer sleepers. Thats just me.

Well, first off, your Marauder couldnt smoke a festiva after you got your hands on it. I already have the perfect sleeper car in the Marauder, hard to improve on perfection.

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
The mustang was pretty flaccid during those lame years. Like Joe, that is why I kept the 85 GT. It was a potent little package that kept asking for more abuse. Banned for having a valid opinion...hardly! No need to be sorry my Trilogy Brother!

:D

OK I'm feeling I might get banned for this. :)

Dave, I'm sorry the color isn't going to be what you want. It's a shame they can't swap...I take it the red on white is probably a tad more popular so the dealer may not be able to "swap" easily.

It's not the end, keep up the search and you may find one, and who knows the dealer may have a few tricks up their sleeve.

Best of luck to ya!

Oh and sorry for the otherside of Camaro vs. Mustang, look at my sig I own a Fox 'stang not a Camaro of that era for a reason. :D

Mad4Macs
08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Well, first off, your Marauder couldnt smoke a festiva after you got your hands on it. I already have the perfect sleeper car in the Marauder, hard to improve on perfection.

I'm not feeling the love, here :lol:

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm not feeling the love, here :lol:

Like the Air Supply song, "I'm all out of Love...." especially in the face of bungling ineptitude.

MM2004
08-08-2006, 04:09 PM

Dave,

Sucks about the deal not looking favorable.

BTW, That ^^^is^^^ one hell of a rant about GM.

I didn't realize you felt that way about GM. And being an Impala SS owner that blows away N/A Marauders all day long? :rolleyes:

The retro-look is coming back as Ford, Chrysler and now GM appear to be traveling down that profitable road.

Has GM announced final plans on the Camaro yet?

Mike.

Mad4Macs
08-08-2006, 04:36 PM
And being an Impala SS owner that blows away N/A Marauders all day long? :rolleyes:

Stick a big block in a Yugo and you'll beat a Marauder, but it's still not as fugly as that Impala SS! Damn, that car wasn't just hit with the Ugly Stick, the Impala climbed to the top of the Ugly tree, broke the top branch, and hit every stick on the way down!
Dude, Oprah's G6 looks better than that thing!
:lol:

MM2004
08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Stick a big block in a Yugo and you'll beat a Marauder, but it's still not as fugly as that Impala SS! Damn, that car wasn't just hit with the Ugly Stick, the Impala climbed to the top of the Ugly tree, broke the top branch, and hit every stick on the way down!

After the day I had at the office.

I needed that!

:rofl:

Mike.

Mad4Macs
08-08-2006, 05:31 PM
'taint but a thing! Sometimes, I feel bad for ditching my Marauder, as I was an "early adopter" and drove her for 3 years (the MM is an effin' BEAUTIFUL car), but I had more than enough probs to justify in losing her.
Mac? I WISH I could pull yours right now, maybe next year?
I'll keep in touch on MM.Net, and if the stars align... I'll give up the apartment and sleep in KB#1
Try me. I'm ex Navy and I've slept in worse :lol:

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Dave,

Sucks about the deal not looking favorable.

BTW, That ^^^is^^^ one hell of a rant about GM.

I didn't realize you felt that way about GM. And being an Impala SS owner that blows away N/A Marauders all day long? :rolleyes:

The retro-look is coming back as Ford, Chrysler and now GM appear to be traveling down that profitable road.

Has GM announced final plans on the Camaro yet?

Mike.

Mike,
I dont know why you and a few others here continue to take jabs about the Impala SS. All I can say is get over it and find something else to take pot shots at. I am ripping on the performance aspect of GM. The Impala SS isnt touted as a performance vehicle. The Impala SS and Marauder are both in the same class as full sized performance sedans, and yes, the bone stock Impala SS will bury a bone stock Marauder hands down, it really does outperform the Marauder. For a family car, the SS is fun but will never replace the Marauder in style and mods! Go figure, GM makes their performance Sedan capable of actually supporting that lable, and their performanc coupe, the Camaro, is inferiour to the Mustang. Mustangs have always held an advantage over just about every GM performance car in the modern age, that to me being from the mid 80s to the precent. The retro look is in. I think that the Mustang wins the retro retrofit on the new cars, and the Challanger being neck and neck with the Mustang. The Camaro looks more modern with a few styling cues to make it appear retro. It doesnt matter, the new Camaro will be in the rear view of every Ford I own!!

And the head honcho from GM, cant remember his name, will announce thursday that the camaro will be a 2008 production car.

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 06:18 PM

Yep, its true that the SS may not win any beauty contests, but it has a V8 that gets 29 mpg thanks to DOD and works pretty good for the wifes ride. What can I say, it was a good deal on lease.

Tallboy
08-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Mike,
I dont know why you and a few others here continue to take jabs about the Impala SS. All I can say is get over it and find something else to take pot shots at. I am ripping on the performance aspect of GM. The Impala SS isnt touted as a performance vehicle. The Impala SS and Marauder are both in the same class as full sized performance sedans, and yes, the bone stock Impala SS will bury a bone stock Marauder hands down, it really does outperform the Marauder. For a family car, the SS is fun but will never replace the Marauder in style and mods! Go figure, GM makes their performance Sedan capable of actually supporting that lable, and their performanc coupe, the Camaro, is inferiour to the Mustang. Mustangs have always held an advantage over just about every GM performance car in the modern age, that to me being from the mid 80s to the precent. The retro look is in. I think that the Mustang wins the retro retrofit on the new cars, and the Challanger being neck and neck with the Mustang. The Camaro looks more modern with a few styling cues to make it appear retro. It doesnt matter, the new Camaro will be in the rear view of every Ford I own!!

And the head honcho from GM, cant remember his name, will announce thursday that the camaro will be a 2008 production car.

I do. Just a coupla' guys who are jealous you have the coin and they don't. I drove an Impala LT while in Maine, and found it to be quite a nice car. Roomy, comfortable, and well-equipped.

Don't take the bait, Dave. That's what they want you to do.

I also heard Bob Lutz has an "announcement" Thursday regarding the new Camaro.

Bigdogjim
08-08-2006, 06:22 PM
I dont think it will happen. They may not be getting in the Red w/white Stripped Coupe after all. It appears that it will be black w/grey stripes, way to blah for 42K. I want BLAMMMMM in your face instant recognition...Almost had the wife sold on it.

You stated somewhere that the dealer is looking for people to "keep" them? Since Ford will never produce a car like this again before they go broke then buy it and sell on e-bay?

Bigdogjim
08-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Now, how much does it weigh????? I knew someone that wanted a 10 lb of 100s.

You have heard people say that's a ton of money? Well if they were one dollar bills it would be $989.000!

Bigdogjim
08-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Well, my fears were realized today. I never thought I would have a chance at a Shelby GT500....well, I guess that just aint so. A dealership is getting in a couple of SHelbys, on a convertable, the other a coupe. They will be selling it for sticker to one of their good customers. If she was right, it will be the exact color combo I wanted. Its still up in the air, but they have NOT decided who gets the Shelbys yet, but since my garage is full of Fords from them already, I am just as good of a customer as they could want. Now it may be time to make a real hard decision.....to buy or not to buy, on of the hottest cars on the road for the forseeable future..... What should I do Marty?

Dump the SS and get the Shelby...duh:help:

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 06:36 PM
You stated somewhere that the dealer is looking for people to "keep" them? Since Ford will never produce a car like this again before they go broke then buy it and sell on e-bay?

What they are refering to is someone that will buy it and immediately flip it for a profit. Thats what they meant by someone to keep the two or three Shelbys that their dealership is getting in. Not many are actually selling the Shelbys for MSRP. If im spending that kind of coin, I want my color, cause I would be keeping it.

MI2QWK4U
08-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Dump the SS and get the Shelby...duh:help:

SS is leased and is the wifes ride. If I want the Shelby, nothing really needs to get dumped. If a promotion goes thru, it will just make it easier.

Mad4Macs
08-08-2006, 06:49 PM
I rock!!!

I've *finally* got two of the most "he said/she said" flamers in agreement!!!
Now, Mike and Motorhead, KISS and MAKE UP!!!

Later :D

Silver_04
08-08-2006, 07:35 PM

Living in the 80's I see. Ford has 1 remotely exciting product in production now and that's the Mustang...and I'm being generous calling it exciting. SVT is down to one car, golf clap. GM and DaimlerChrysler are both tooling up RWD platforms and stuffing V8's into a lot of vehicles. I read Ford is killing off the Panther around 2010 with no new RWD platforms to speak of unless they grab something from the Aussies. Sure, Ford used to make cool stuff but they are off their rocker now.

I've owned a few Fords over the past few years, Mustang GT and Marauder being two of them. I hated my Mustang and sold the Marauder and ultimately ended up with an 11 year old Impala as my luxo barge. So that's pretty indicative of Ford's rough ride now, they can't make product that people get excited over and want to own and keep. Never mind Ford's answer to the horsepower question is slap a blower on. For those of us that hate forced induction, I look elsewhere for my horsepower fix.

And stock for stock, I don't forsee any Mustang GT running with the Camaro. My Trailblazer is as fast as a Mustang GT.

Joe Walsh
08-08-2006, 08:09 PM
You're Damn right Joe, it was a blast!
She smoked just about every chevy she ran against...and that was bone stock. Now with the built motor, trans, cobra brakes, and Lidio tune she is bone jarring brutal! My neighbors used to hate me driving it to work at 6 am! but the cool weather made her scream! I love those 85-86 four eyed wonders. I think those GTs are some of the best looking Mustangs ever built. Sorry, I had to look at the pics again!!! Nice, dont you think Joe?
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_32_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_31_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_15_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_8_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_9_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_39_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/504000-504999/504355_3_full.jpg

ABSOLUTELY!!!

SWEET little T-Top GT...16" pony rims, 87 GT tail, and headlight covers!
Killer finned aluminum engine dress-up package to boot!

I've got 16" black basket/polished rim Enkei wheels with headlight covers on my Black 85 GT.
I also lowered mine with an EARLY Saleen suspension kit...probably worth some bucks now because the springs were made for Saleen by Betts back in the day.
Edelbrock intake manifold, ported heads, modified (jetted secondaries) 4180 Holley carb & a cam.
Classic shorty headers with 'off-road' exhaust and 3.55s in an 8.8" Motorsport rear.

Those headlight covers make the 85/86 GTs look so nice.

85/86 GTs had some of the best OEM seats of any Fox body Mustang...including the 82 GT Recaros and the SVOs.

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
ummm :confused: Well I'm not going to say anything to be taken the wrong way. I will say "I like rear view mirrors because you can see the past going behind you." Just a quote from me.

Breadfan
08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
The mustang was pretty flaccid during those lame years. Like Joe, that is why I kept the 85 GT. It was a potent little package that kept asking for more abuse. Banned for having a valid opinion...hardly! No need to be sorry my Trilogy Brother!

Hahah, cool, wasn't expecting a ban but you never know when harping about Chevy's on a Ford Board. :D

Great pics of the '85. I am really getting into the 4-eyed cars. I may dump my 1990 in a year or so to build up a 4-cyl coupe. I'm looking for a '79-82 copue in good shape, preferrably with the chrome door trim. I'm going to go simple with a carbed motor and C4 trans, 8.8 rear and use it as a track car. I'll keep the outward appearance stock though. :)

Other than that, I reaaaly like the '82 GT front ends. Would like to build up a nice '82 GT as well...

Gotta love those Fox's! :beer:

(Excuse the missing side moulding, replacement is in the closet waiting for titanium paint...)
http://www.neuralimpulse.com/misc/mustangmm.jpg

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 09:19 PM
I was thinking of buying a Fox to put my Chevy engine in. Those cars can be very light and parts are so easy to find.

Mad4Macs
08-09-2006, 02:42 AM
And stock for stock, I don't forsee any Mustang GT running with the Camaro. My Trailblazer is as fast as a Mustang GT.

I've never raced one, but according to tests done by all the rags, the Mustang GT is faster, stock for stock, than the Trailblazer SS. As a bonus, the 'Stang does it on 87 octane pump gas!
I won't link to all of the reviews, but here's MT's findings.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0507_2006_chevrolet_trailb lazer/

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0501_compact_sport_compari son/mustang_specs.html

Bigdogjim
08-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Mike,
Go figure, GM makes their performance Sedan capable of actually supporting that lable,

So if you feel a few "members" take "pot shots" at you then why post a statement like this? If you feel that way then way did ever get a marauder in the first place?

No one is taking a"jab" at your SS. This is a marauder board? People give you respect you just do not see it that way.

Want a Shelby? Well if I had know that a while back I would not have passed the one I was offered to on to my brother who will sell his two year old vet with less than 800 miles on it. I have always like the Mustang but I do not own cars I can fit it to![feel free to mock that line in way you see fit] Marauder in my case was an exception. By the way his will be white/blue, but, I see your heart is set on red. Nice color.

Some days it's good to be the Big Dog!:)

Tallboy
08-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Living in the 80's I see. Ford has 1 remotely exciting product in production now and that's the Mustang...and I'm being generous calling it exciting. SVT is down to one car, golf clap. GM and DaimlerChrysler are both tooling up RWD platforms and stuffing V8's into a lot of vehicles. I read Ford is killing off the Panther around 2010 with no new RWD platforms to speak of unless they grab something from the Aussies. Sure, Ford used to make cool stuff but they are off their rocker now.

I've owned a few Fords over the past few years, Mustang GT and Marauder being two of them. I hated my Mustang and sold the Marauder and ultimately ended up with an 11 year old Impala as my luxo barge. So that's pretty indicative of Ford's rough ride now, they can't make product that people get excited over and want to own and keep. Never mind Ford's answer to the horsepower question is slap a blower on. For those of us that hate forced induction, I look elsewhere for my horsepower fix.

What Camaro?

People don't generally care about what you're going to do. Just what you did. And, what GM did was kill off 35 years of F-body performance heritage for the SSR. Which, they killed.