PDA

View Full Version : Just When It Couldn't Get Any More Worse

STLR FN
08-07-2006, 05:41 AM
BP Shuts Down Major Alaskan Oil Field

By MARY PEMBERTON, Associated Press Writer

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(getElapsed("20060807T101701Z"));</SCRIPT>2 hours ago<NOSCRIPT>UPDATED 40 MINUTES AGO</NOSCRIPT>
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Oil giant BP has indefinitely shut down the nation's biggest oilfield after finding a pipeline leak, removing about 8 percent of U.S. oil production and stoking fears that already high gas prices will shoot up further.

More:
http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2006/08/07/450234.html&cvqh=itn_bp

Bluerauder
08-07-2006, 06:41 AM
Heard this on the morning TV news today. :( Expectations are that the price of crude oil will increase by 10%. You would expect to add about 30-35 cents at the pump. Who wants to bet that we see about "double" that to 50-60 cents? :mad:

BruteForce
08-07-2006, 06:48 AM
Who wants to bet that we see about "double" that to 50-60 cents? :mad:

Nor will it settle back to previous levels once capacity is back online.

MM03MOK
08-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Nor will it settle back to previous levels once capacity is back online.I'd bet money on that being true! :mad2:

SergntMac
08-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Well, I guess it's time to start shopping for one of those battery operated golf carts with windows for the under 30 mile (per hour and distance) thingys, for the routine errands in the neighborhood...

STLR FN
08-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Let's not forget we have hurricane season upon us to compound the problem. Wonder what next years 'problem child' will be?

BOHICAFAH

SergntMac
08-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, that didn't take long. Bought gas at my regular station last Saturday. 40 bucks worth didn't fill the tank at 3.499 per gallon. Just drove by today while running errands...3.859.

I's not a trickle down effect, it's an open hydrant. Someone on a pipeline somewhere farts, and the prices go up.

Only thing to do now, is leave it parked more often and play in my own back yard.

Do I have to say this sucks?

BruteForce
08-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Do I have to say this sucks?

Yes please. :D

BAD MERC
08-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Why the hell would they keep gas affordable? They already had RECORD profits. I want to kill somebody. We get piss-poor while they roll in ca$h.

Cobra25
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(getElapsed("20060807T101701Z"));</SCRIPT>2 hours ago<NOSCRIPT>UPDATED 40 MINUTES AGO</NOSCRIPT>
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Oil giant BP has indefinitely shut down the nation's biggest oilfield after finding a pipeline leak, removing about 8 percent of U.S. oil production and stoking fears that already high gas prices will shoot up further.

More:
http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2006/08/07/450234.html&cvqh=itn_bp They also stated that it might take a few months to fix it and that the West Coast Gas Price's will be affected more than the rest of the Country. It really makes you wonder if they broke the pipe themselves just to raise the prices. When the gas goes up everything else follows after. You just can't win.

hitchhiker
08-07-2006, 04:54 PM

More:
http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2006/08/07/450234.html&cvqh=itn_bp

More manipulation of the market by 'BIG OIL'

:mad:

hitchhiker
08-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Why the hell would they keep gas affordable? They already had RECORD profits. I want to kill somebody. We get piss-poor while they roll in ca$h.

This has a very political side to it which I will not touch in this forum.

:mad2:

Bluerauder
08-07-2006, 05:00 PM
They also stated that it might take a few months to fix it and that the West Coast Gas Price's will be affected more than the rest of the Country. It really makes you wonder if they broke the pipe themselves just to raise the prices. When the gas goes up everything else follows after. You just can't win.
A 16-mile section of pipeline was corroded and leaking. That just happened overnight -- it was fine on Saturday. :rolleyes: Makes you wonder what the pipeline inspectors and the inspection supervisors were doing for the past 5 years. :o I guess they didn't think it would be a big deal to shut down 10% of the US production for a couple months. What :bs: Oh yeah, BP says that they are "Sorry" ... we know that ... Sorry Sumsa Biatches. :rofl:

Mismanagement and Incompetence are rampant and we keep rewarding the culprits with big profits. :shake:

I am personally convinced that Exxon-Mobil is the biggest problem with both prices, secrecy and record profit levels. Therefore, I am no longer buying Exxon-Mobil, period !!! We need more people to make a statement that we are not gonna bend over anymore. Greedy Bastages. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :soapbox:

Mike
08-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Most people will just complain but as we all know, we'll by the gas anyways.

Cobra25
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Most people will just complain but as we all know, we'll by the gas anyways. Your right about that.

Mike
08-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Like Mac said, golf carts, but we'll have to put some MM emblems on them!!

STLR FN
08-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Most people will just complain but as we all know, we'll by the gas anyways.

Your right about that.
And yes we'll keep buying it, 'Big Oil' has us by the nads. There's no other commodity currently that can replace gas. E-85 doesn't count as it's not readily available in all parts of the country.

sailsmen
08-07-2006, 05:33 PM
My farther wrote the insurance on the last refinery that was built in the US,almost 30 years ago.

Look at a map of where you can drill for oil in the US, it is a very small area. Florida and most of California won't allow it, neither will the East Coast.:mad2:

This leaves LA and TX.:banana2:

I say if a state bans drilling than that state is banned from importing petroleum products!:banana2:

STLR FN
08-07-2006, 05:55 PM
My ...snipLook at a map of where you can drill for oil in the US, it is a very small area. Florida and most of California won't allow it, neither will the East Coast.:mad2:

...snipPoint me to said map. I'd like to see it if it's on the web.

Bigdogjim
08-07-2006, 07:34 PM
You know I hate to poke fun at all of you.
Goggle and Yahoo had profits of around $19. per hundred dollars in sales.
Exxon had profits of $8.00 per hundred dollars in sales?

Please no flame intended! We just need more mass transit!

Bluerauder
08-08-2006, 04:00 AM
You know I hate to poke fun at all of you.
Goggle and Yahoo had profits of around $19. per hundred dollars in sales.
Exxon had profits of $8.00 per hundred dollars in sales?

Please no flame intended! We just need more mass transit!
I am surprised to hear that Google and Yahoo had any sales at all. :rofl: But I am not buying gas from Google or Yahoo either. :rolleyes: