PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Green Day.... now?

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 08:08 PM
NOTICE: As bad as it sounds I wanna keep this for fans that knew of them before american idiot and not recent fans.

I have been a fan of Green Day sense the 90's especially when it wasn't cool to like them. Infact it was a band all the losers looked up to and had a following going too. Everyone who wasn't on the baseball team, everyone that didn't have a girlfriend and found yourself wasting time with yourself (Longview hint hint) looked up to them. Now everyone likes them. Everyone from 12 year old girls to 35 year old divorced men. I'm not saying this is a bad thing that these people like the band, it's just the following has been destroyed and all the true fans are really had to find now.

Look at the way they were in the 90s. Stickered up guitars tuned down half a step, they HAD 3 PEOPLE FULL time and still could create a sound few could ever reproduce. Now look at them... they all dress in black Billie Joe doesn't play his blue guitar anymore and their even singing about politics. What happened to singing about being bored and being a loser? They now have a forth member! Green Day is really a trio!

I feel really let down, but will always be a fan. Does anyone understand this or am I the only nut on here that does? :confused:

rocknrod
08-08-2006, 08:22 PM
I feel like I'm listening to Charlie Browns parents = Wa - wa - wa, wa, wa, wa, wa....

Breadfan
08-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I think Green Day's last good album was Dookie. Their earlier stuff than that was even better. IMO they grew up basically, and got money. More power to them they were able to profit from their music as they did. I think over time the money, fame, and overall age factor come into play with bands like that.

I bet maturity mixed with a large audience has made them feel they can make a difference hence the political jargon.

Ask me and I can't name one of the recent songs. I can identify them b/c they're overplayed but can't even name them.

I'll admit I'm not really a punk fan but real punk has it's place and the first time you try to label the genre as punk/emo you really have lost it.

Green Day IMO I think was good up through Dookie.

BTW I thought SLC Punk was a pretty cool movie.

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
yea 39/Smooth and Kerpunk were awesome. Paper Lanterns is the best Green Day song to me.

DEFYANT
08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
They are not "board losers" anymore. They made it. They have money now. And influence. By singing about their political views, they get their "board loser" fans to see it their way. Give them a couple more months, maybe a year or so, they will break up. They dont "need" each other anymore.

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 08:38 PM
True, but other bands have never changed over time. AC/DC has recorded the same album over and over. I don't think Green Day will break up anytime soon though, their on top again and bigger than they were in 1994.

Breadfan
08-08-2006, 08:44 PM
True they are pretty big now, but their mainstream and off the path of where their roots are. Then again, it's arguable that so is their listening base.

I'm not as young as I once was, so I don't really know too many "punks" anymore. But as I recall, there were true "punks" and posers.

I knew a guy who was a true punk at heart but was also caught up in the poser area a bit. He spent like 200 bucks and hours of his time taking a leather jacket and putting studs and patches all over it so he could look the part. It did nothing to change his true persona though...IMO the further he got into dressing the part the more he forgot what he stood for.

Perhaps this happened to Green Day?

Motorhead350
08-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Couldn't tell ya, but what you said makes perfect sense. I was told I was a punk by many people because of how I dressed and what I listened to. But I don't know because I don't like being labeled. If anything I'm straight edge and thats about it. Back to Green Day though it's true that their not bored losers anymore, but they totally changed their sound. I guess I just like the old style more and lyrics really matter to me as much as the music does. Look at how much Sugar Ray changed.... they used to be a punk band believe it or not.

ex00p71
08-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I think Green Day sucks, their songs are just complaining and whining.

AC/DC on the other hand, I don't care if all their songs sound the same (personally I don't think they do, they change slightly from album to album) but they rock and always will, at least they sing about fun things like drinking and women.

Haggis
08-09-2006, 03:27 AM
I'm on a Green Day free diet. Always have been always will be.

O's Fan Rich
08-09-2006, 03:53 AM
I had a green day once... it was in March and I was drinking this green beer...eating green cake and green eggs and ham, next day everything came out green... come to think of it... I've had two green days!!!

juno
08-09-2006, 04:34 AM
Yeah an ex girlfriend used to use the term " Green Day punks" a lot. Always made me laugh to hear her say it.

Don't get too upset about their selling out, most bands do. The ones who haven't usually die first.
There will be much bigger disappointments in your life to look forward to. :D

Motorhead350
08-09-2006, 08:14 AM
I had a green day once... it was in March and I was drinking this green beer...eating green cake and green eggs and ham, next day everything came out green... come to think of it... I've had two green days!!!
Actually Green Day means being stoned on pot all day. Something I have never done and will not ever do. I will never have a Green Day.

Tallboy
08-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Green Day has "grown up". [An example to follow?]

Been a fan since day one.

whoskal
08-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Green Day's last two albums were complete garbage!
But I do have Green Day mixed on the MP3

glassman99
08-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Brett is looking good so far

DarthMarauder
08-09-2006, 07:08 PM
I can say that not everyone likes them. I have not and will never like Green Day just not into that punk-emo style of music. I especially dont like the bands that saw what Green Day did so they go out and try to sound just like them. I could name a few bands but I never leave the radio on long enough when a song comes on to find out the name of them.

glassman99
08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Green Day? I thought you'all meant GREEN BAY!!! oops:banana2: