PDA

View Full Version : Whats Your Favorite Bourbon?

ROADWARRIORSVT
08-10-2006, 11:47 PM
The wife and I just celebrated our 6 yr. anniv. She bought me the bourbon & Scotches below. I usually drink Jack Daniels Single Barrel or Gentleman Jack. I guess she wants me to broaden my horizons!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/roadwarriorsvt/whiskey.jpg

Left to right: Woodford: KY bourbon, Crown Royal Spec. Resv.: Canadian Whiskey, Balvenie Scotch (favorite of the new) and Blantons Single Barrel: KY bourbon.

So whats your favorite bourbon, Scotch, whiskey, etc.?

Motorhead350
08-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Congrads on 6 years! I don't drink though so sorry I couldn't help you.

ROADWARRIORSVT
08-11-2006, 12:10 AM
If you were married to my wife, you'd drink!!!:D

J/K,...thanks.

Haggis
08-11-2006, 03:07 AM
The wife and I just celebrated our 6 yr. anniv. She bought me the bourbon & Scotches below. I usually drink Jack Daniels Single Barrel or Gentleman Jack. I guess she wants me to broaden my horizons!!

Left to right: Woodford: KY bourbon, Crown Royal Spec. Resv.: Canadian Whiskey, Balvenie Scotch (favorite of the new) and Blantons Single Barrel: KY bourbon.

Blantons and Eagle Rare both from Buffalo Trace Distillery. As for Scotch, I perfer Glenfiddich.

2003 MIB
08-11-2006, 03:08 AM
[quote=ROADWARRIORSVT I usually drink Jack Daniels Single Barrel or Gentleman Jack. So whats your favorite bourbon, Scotch, whiskey, etc.?[/quote]

A good friend sent JD Single Barrel last Christmas. It's really good and I like it for special days (I think Fridays are very special). Regular No. 7 on most days is very pleasing.

FordNut
08-11-2006, 05:28 AM
Jacob's Well from Jim Beam Distillery
Old Rip Van Winkle

whoskal
08-11-2006, 05:32 AM
http://www.makersmark.com/Images/HomePage.gif
This is the best bourbon....period.

Bluerauder
08-11-2006, 06:12 AM
Jack Daniels Old No. 7.

Hauser717
08-11-2006, 06:21 AM

I like Woodford but if I'm buying bourbon, it's usually Knob Creek.

And if you like the Balvenie 12yr DoubleWood you have there, then may I suggest the Balvenie 21yr Port Wood. It's a bit more, but worth the extra cost in my opinon.

2003 MIB
08-11-2006, 06:29 AM
Jack Daniels Old No. 9.

No. 9?:beer:

Bluerauder
08-11-2006, 06:34 AM
No. 9?:beer:
Oops !!! :o

MM03MOK
08-11-2006, 06:38 AM
Our tour of Kentucky in March......

Buffalo Trace

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=97 00&d=1155303453

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=97 01&d=1155303484

Woodford Reserve

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=96 99&d=1155303412

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=96 98&d=1155303294

bagpiper
08-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Johnny Walker,makes a Blue label that is very smooth but exspensive about $160.00-$200.00 a bottle.Jonny Walker Black label is also good,I have never been sold on the idea that single malt scotches are always better.

MERCMAN
08-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Just be aware that Crown Royal is a blended product. After our Looseville meet there are a LOT of bourbonwise people here :)
BTW blended means it is blended with other things, like vodka, fruit juices, wine,,etc.

Tallboy
08-11-2006, 07:12 AM

At my house we call this "breakfast".

rocknrod
08-11-2006, 07:18 AM
http://www.makersmark.com/Images/HomePage.gif
This is the best bourbon....period.

Thats what I'm talkin about!:D

SergntMac
08-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Free...My favorite bourbon is free.

STLR FN
08-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Mine would be frozen. Not that bourbon freezes but makes it pretty damn good.

Otherwise I just stick to Mr. Beam and lately Buffalo Trace.

GA-Marauder
08-11-2006, 08:29 AM
I'd agree with Maker's for sure. It's always in my liquor cabinet (well, unless I drink it all). For a special occasion, I also really like Baker's, which is made by the same folks who do Booker's and Knob Creek.

History
Named after Baker Beam, grand nephew of the legendary Jim Beam, Baker’s Bourbon is seven-years-old and hand-bottled at 107 proof. Embracing over six generations of distilling experience, Baker's Bourbon utilizes a special strain of jug yeast that has been in his family for over 60 years. This time tested yeast provides Baker's with a silky smooth texture and consistent taste from batch to batch.
Distinctions
Baker’s is a remarkably smooth bourbon. Intensely flavorful, full-bodied and ideally balanced, it is preferred by Cognac aficionados, making for an excellent after dinner drink.
Tasting Notes
Proof: 107
Color: Warm amber, tawny, nut brown
Aroma: Fruit, vanilla, caramel
Taste: Toasted nuts, fruit, vanilla, silky texture
Finish: Sweet, smooth, medium-long
Award: Gold Medal Bourbon
- Wine Enthusiast
Comments: "Baker’s is elegant and well-balanced in the palate with a clean finish that follows round smooth flavors of vanilla and caramel." - Wine Spectator

Ummm...I think I need to go get some now!:beer:

MM2004
08-11-2006, 09:12 AM
All Bourbons are Whiskeys.

Not all Whiskeys are Bourbons...

Jack Daniel is Whiskey.

I really like Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and Booker's.

Mike.

MM03MOK
08-11-2006, 09:44 AM
The word whiskey is a corruption of the Gaelic term "uisge beatha" which translates as "water of life" and is pronounced "oosh-ki Baah."

You're welcome!

Haggis
08-11-2006, 09:47 AM
The word whiskey is a corruption of the Gaelic term "uisge beatha" which translates as "water of life" and is pronounced "oosh-ki Baah."

You're welcome!
Sorry Mary, the Gaelic I know is Pogue Mahon. (sp?)

MM03MOK
08-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Sorry Mary, the Gaelic I know is Pogue Mahon. (sp?)Close......pog mo thón

http://zodiac-tshirts.com/images/epat87.jpg

KillJoy
08-11-2006, 10:35 AM
I like Bobo Bourbon mixed w/ Coke, Diet Root Beer or Diet Dr. Pepper, with just a splash of Vanilla from Parker Vanilla :D.

McAfee's Benchmark is the name. Also produced by Buffalo Trace.

KillJoy

Mebot
08-11-2006, 11:55 AM
You can't go wrong with Old No. 7, but I would definitely take Knob Creek over Jack Daniels anyday, if it wasn't so expensive.

Other than those two Kentucky bourbons, I absolutely love Bushmills Irish Whiskey. I used to live about 3 miles from the Bushmills Distillery in Northern Ireland.

MM03MOK is correct about the "water of Life", in fact the little video Bushmills would show before the start of their tours used that term often and by the time the video was over you were salivating at how great that whiskey would taste.

Shora
08-11-2006, 12:37 PM
I'd agree with Maker's for sure. It's always in my liquor cabinet (well, unless I drink it all). For a special occasion, I also really like Baker's, which is made by the same folks who do Booker's and Knob Creek.

I love Knob Creek and Marker's Mark. I usually buy them when I want to drink something staight (usually unless I'm in a club and then it's Jack and Coke).

Never tried Baker's but I will now. Thanks for the advice.

Just to make it clear, for a whiskey to be classified as a bourbon it must be produced in the City of Bourbon in Kentucky.

MM2004
08-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I love Knob Creek and Marker's Mark. I usually buy them when I want to drink something staight (usually unless I'm in a club and then it's Jack and Coke).

Never tried Baker's but I will now. Thanks for the advice.

Just to make it clear, for a whiskey to be classified as a bourbon it must be produced in the City of Bourbon in Kentucky.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html#4

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the United States. All but a couple of brands are made in Kentucky, and Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on the bottle. And as Kentucky distillers are quick to point out, Bourbon is not Bourbon unless the label says so.

<DD>There are strict laws (http://www.straightbourbon.com/27cfr5.pdf) governing just what a Bourbon must be to be labeled as such. For example, at least 51 percent of the grain used in making the whiskey must be corn (most distillers use 65 to 75 percent corn). Bourbon must be aged for a minimum of two years in new, white oak barrels that have been charred. Nothing can be added at bottling to enhance flavor, add sweetness or alter color. Download the BATF regulations (http://www.straightbourbon.com/27cfr5.pdf) governing bourbon here.

</DD>

ROADWARRIORSVT
08-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the link to straightbourbon.com. Lots of good info there! :beer:

I'll give Makers Mark and Knob Creek another try. Booker's is a name that keeps popping up too. I'll have to try that too when I get some room in my liquor cabinet!!!!

Ross
08-11-2006, 02:13 PM
AAAAHHHHH, a subject near and dear to my heart!
Booker's
Knob Creek
Blanton's
All are "small batch" bourbons. Higher priced, to be sure, although Knob Creek is much less expensive than many other small batch bourbons.
For a "production" type, non small batch bourbon, try Old Weller. Not the regular Weller, which is also good, but Old Weller which is about 107 proof.
A nice big brandy snifter, no water, no ice, no mixers,just wonderful life giving brown nectar! I think I just talked myself into leaving work and going home!

CRUZTAKER
08-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Jack Daniel is Whiskey.

....and shouldn't be uttered in the same sentence as bourbon. :puke:

My favorite, sipped in conjunction with a fine IPA or dark lager...

Blantons.
Blantons SILVER and GOLD as well. Available throughout the caribbean.

My favorite aged, high dollar.
Pappy Van Winkle. (not available in Ohio)

My favorite (in a pinch best I can find)
Woodford Reserve.

My favorite (stuck in the ghetto at a telecom outpost facing death around every corner)
Makers Mark.

Pretty much every label at Buffalo Trace Distillary rocks....
Except that rock gut Killjoy drinks.:P

Shora
08-12-2006, 09:03 AM
[quote=MM2004]http://www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html#4

What the heck was I think quoting anything that I heard during my fraternity days. Opps. :o

bradical
08-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Bourbon is a fine and noble drink, my favorites being Knob Creek, Makers Mark and Jim Beam. But I much prefer Scotch for the smokey complexity and tremendous diversity of flavors. Lately I have been exploring single malts and contrary to conventional wisdom, you don't have to spend a fortune on them.

Some I would recommend are the Balvenie 12 yr Double Wood (which you have.) You may want to explore some of the Glen Morangie varieties aged in different woods as well, such as Sherry casks, Bourbon casks and Port Wood. These are all comparatively affordable.

My favorite is The Macallan 12 yr., but my "every day" Scotch is The Glenlivet 12 yr (budget considerations...). For special occasions, The Glenlivet 18 yr is sublime.

For a taste challenge (it is an acquired taste for many) try Laphroaig 10 yr. The Laphroaig 15 yr. is smoother and extremely complex, making for a wonderful experience but is almost twice the cost of the 10 yr. These Speyside malts reflect the sea, and are quite different from their Highlands cousins.

I recommend a great book on the subject: Whisk(e)y by Stefan Gabanyi. It covers everything from Scotch and Bourbon to Canadians, Irish Whiskey and much more.

Bottom line is it is hard to go wrong with a quality whisk(e)y when teken with good friends and a fine cigar. Enjoy!

ROADWARRIORSVT
08-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I recommend a great book on the subject: Whisk(e)y by Stefan Gabanyi. It covers everything from Scotch and Bourbon to Canadians, Irish Whiskey and much more.

A trip to Borders,.....is in order! Thanks to all who gave suggestions. I'll be broadening my horizons as the current bottles go empty!:beer:

Vortex
08-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Henry McKenna Straight Bourbon.

Mike Poore
08-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Some I would recommend are the Balvenie 12 yr Double Wood (which you have.) You may want to explore some of the Glen Morangie varieties aged in different woods as well, such as Sherry casks, Bourbon casks and Port Wood. These are all comparatively affordable.

My favorite is The Macallan 12 yr., but my "every day" Scotch is The Glenlivet 12 yr (budget considerations...). For special occasions, The Glenlivet 18 yr is sublime.

For a taste challenge (it is an acquired taste for many) try Laphroaig 10 yr. The Laphroaig 15 yr. is smoother and extremely complex, making for a wonderful experience but is almost twice the cost of the 10 yr. These Speyside malts reflect the sea, and are quite different from their Highlands cousins.

Bottom line is it is hard to go wrong with a quality whisk(e)y when teken with good friends and a fine cigar. Enjoy!

You're on the same path I took a few years back, and well done. Now go look up some of the offerings from McClelland's. There's a Highland, Lowland, and Islay; all distinctly different from one another, and very reasonably priced. I agree with the Laphroiag, assessment, and it usually wins the "let's taste them all" contest, in part because of it's uniqueness; but, you're right, they always taste better when enjoying the company of good friends. :)

ik04
08-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Dickel.

Cheap and gets the job done...

[WTF do I know? Haven't had a drink in years]

Kevin

sdacbob
08-14-2006, 01:11 AM
Jack.....made 15 minutes down I-65 from here!!!!!!!!!

spub
08-14-2006, 01:39 AM
http://www.straightbourbon.com/faq.html#4

Bourbon can be made anywhere in the United States. All but a couple of brands are made in Kentucky, and Kentucky is the only state allowed to put its name on the bottle. And as Kentucky distillers are quick to point out, Bourbon is not Bourbon unless the label says so.

<DD>There are strict laws (http://www.straightbourbon.com/27cfr5.pdf) governing just what a Bourbon must be to be labeled as such. For example, at least 51 percent of the grain used in making the whiskey must be corn (most distillers use 65 to 75 percent corn). Bourbon must be aged for a minimum of two years in new, white oak barrels that have been charred. Nothing can be added at bottling to enhance flavor, add sweetness or alter color. Download the BATF regulations (http://www.straightbourbon.com/27cfr5.pdf) governing bourbon here.

</DD>
I beg to differ -

Nowadays most bourbon distilleries are concentrated not in Bourbon County, but around the towns of Louisville, Bardstown and Frankfort. Nonetheless, only whiskeys from the state of Kentucky are entitled to be called bourbons.

I have been in the bar business for the last 7 years, but have been a drinker for, uh, a while longer. I have NEVER seen a "bourbon" made anywhere other than Kentucky. I also rarely believe what I find on the internet without checking other sources.

My favorite? Bulleit Bourbon. Makers is too smooth. No burn to the finish.

Kirt

GA-Marauder
08-14-2006, 07:28 AM
For a "production" type, non small batch bourbon, try Old Weller. Not the regular Weller, which is also good, but Old Weller which is about 107 proof.

EXCELLENT CHOICE...I've also enjoyed Old Weller on many occassions.:beer:

spub
08-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Hmmmm -

After further searching, it seems that you may have been correct, that bourbon may actually be made in other places than Kentucky.

Now the search to try to find one :confused:

Kirt

Loco1234
08-16-2006, 06:33 AM
I like Old Grand Dad's Special Reserve (117 proof) but only when I'm making homemade Irish Cream.
It kick the **** outta Baileys....

My favorite drink is just about anything with Grain in it....

pantheroc
08-16-2006, 09:52 AM
I like Old Grand Dad's Special Reserve (117 proof) but only when I'm making homemade Irish Cream.
It kick the **** outta Baileys....

My favorite drink is just about anything with Grain in it....

Hey, post the recipe, PLEASE?

Dr Caleb
08-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Crown Royal Spec. Resv.: Canadian Whiskey,

Just be aware that Crown Royal is a blended product. After our Looseville meet there are a LOT of bourbonwise people here :)
BTW blended means it is blended with other things, like vodka, fruit juices, wine,,etc.

Incidentally, Canadians and Irish use the 'Whisky' spelling, no 'e' as from the old Gaelic 'water of life' ;) The general term we use for our whisky is 'Rye', sort of like 'scotch' or 'bourbon' as a general term.

'Blending' in whisky usually means it's blended with other whiskys, different ages or ingredients. Some (like myself) prefer an unblended (single malt) scotch or rye, others prefer blended. Crown Royal is blended, but my favourite is Canadian Club 25 year. It comes in a gold bottle, and is hard to find, but very smooth and like any good whisky, needs nothing else.

Since it's so hard to find, CC Classic is a good substitute. Haven't tried the Sherry Cask though . . .

http://www.canadianclubwhisky.com/can/FamilyClassic.asp

Haven't really tried any Bourbons or Irish whiskys I really liked (but I have some good hints now) but for a scotch, Laphroaig or Johnny Blue label (Gold label if I'm feeling rich and have good connections).

:beer:

blown & bad
09-02-2006, 10:52 AM
May I suggest you broaden your selection to include Wild Turkey Rare Breed.
It is a single barrel whiskey that varies in proofs from 104.6 to 112.0. It is as smooth as mother's milk when served straight with a little ice.A wonderful side-effect is NO HANGOVER !!!

ROADWARRIORSVT
09-02-2006, 06:10 PM
It is a single barrel whiskey that varies in proofs from 104.6 to 112.0. It is as smooth as mother's milk when served straight with a little ice.A wonderful side-effect is NO HANGOVER !!!

OK, you twisted my arm. I'll give it a try. My friends late father had over 30+ Wild Turkey decanters! Quite the collection. I'm all for trying new whisk(e)ys & bourbons.

Of the new ones I've tried, Makers Mark seems to be a favorite. No too expensive either.

Tallboy
09-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Johnnie Walker Blue. 60 year old scotch.

Anything less is lighter fluid.

ROADWARRIORSVT
09-02-2006, 06:32 PM

You buy it and I'll drink it!! :beer: I might could refinance my house to buy a bottle of Blue Label.:D

Marauder2005
09-02-2006, 10:59 PM

Oh god, I hope thats mixed!

CRUZTAKER
09-03-2006, 07:07 AM

Broaden?

This selection is widely available outside Kentucky.
What makes this selection one that intensive bourbon sippers may not drink regularly is that it is a 'BARREL PROOF'.

Most single barrel bourbons average 80 proof. Anything over 90 proof falls into barrel proof, and that starts to really change the flavor on the pallet.

Myself and others have tried Blantons (asian export 90,97,and 105) barrel proof and Woodfords (asian export 140) barrel proof stock. Darker color, but very bity. These are tough to sip. Nothing bad to say, other than they are only exported to asia, and cost upwards of $300 U.S. per 750ml.

I tend to stay away from the barrel proofs. With the ablity to 'sip' an entire 750 in 6-8 hours...the barrel proofs begin to get expensive, and tend to get drunk...er...!

CRUZTAKER
09-03-2006, 07:11 AM

Start a SCOTCH thread and we'll go from there.;)

BTW: Blue label is available at every caribbean 'quicky mart' for $53 / 750.

That tells you something. :rolleyes:

Mike Poore
09-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Unlike American "blended" Whiskeys, Johnny Walker Blue is more than a mixture of fruit juices and cask distilling's. It's, evidently the real deal, although IMHO there's excessive marketing hype involved. I mean how can you justify paying $30 for the box the stuff comes in? I can buy many very good single malts that cost less than their f'n box.:rolleyes:

Here's an excerpt from a review:

The only difference with this label, much more so than the Gold and Black labels is that Johnnie Walker Blue Label is a blend of some of the most expensive and rare whiskies of today. In fact, a couple distilleries that Johnnie Walker has in its stores (over 7,000,000 whiskies) are now out of business.

Johnnie Walker’s Master Blender says,

"I'm looking for particular flavours and properties from exceptional casks. These distinctive casks, which could be one or two in a couple of million, are usually spotted soon after they are distilled.”

Some of the whiskies used are straight out from other distilleries or it might be aged up to 60 years. The minimum age for the blended whiskies is 25 years, so you know you are getting some fine products.

At the heart of Blue Label is Royal Lochnagar, a rare malt distilled near Balmoral, the Queen's Scottish holiday home. This whisky is famous because is has been a favorite of the Royal Family all the way back to 1848 with Prince Albert. In addition to the Royal Lochnagar there are another 15 or so whiskies in this blend (Now this can change from batch to batch).

The Blue Label comes in its own box that probably costs 30 of the $150 you'll drop on this bottle. Is it worth it to have your own number and history for the bottle. Yeah, it goes with the territory. I've tried to get my hands on some blue for awhile and the cheapest I can find it is $150 with shipping. If you buy it in GA, you are looking at $200+.