PDA

View Full Version : Just made a contribution to the Logan Employment Fund

Donny Carlson
08-12-2006, 05:48 PM
I pulled the trigger on a Dell 42" Plasma Screen HDTV the other night. I've been wanting an HDTV for some time, Dell made the right offers ($200 off instantly, free shipping, 0 percent financing for 2 years, discount on a DVD up-conversion hd player). My cable company has the new Scientific Atlanta HD DVR's (Explorer 8300 HD's), swapping out my present DVR for the HD version is no extra charge, fee is the same per month. Besides all the premium channels and broadcast HD sources, which are included in my regular package, I'm signing up for the HD tier, which is a measly $6 a month.

My only complaint is the Explorer 8300HD has a smallish hard drive (160GB) that only holds 20 hours of HD programming (90 of conventional tv). I need to find a hack so I can transfer programming off to a stand along HD or a HD on my PC... hmm, time to brows HDTV forums..

ckadiddle
08-14-2006, 08:36 AM
The cable box probably you a USB port on the back...wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even have to open the box. I am sure someone out there has already done a nice writeup for you. :) IIRC, cable boxes, gaming boxes and the like with hard drives often use some form of Linux for their OS.