PDA

View Full Version : 17"/255 trial fit, Colorado Custom

Thomas C Potter
05-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Trial mounted the first 17x8 with 255/50/17. Looking OK. Wheels are Colorado Custom 17x8 with 7" backspace, tires are BFG KDWS. I'll be posting all details about this effort soon, no easy task!! Also better pictures to be posted.

Geo
05-17-2003, 01:05 AM
What is the difference in overall diameter with the new size. Are these the P255/50ZR17 tires. These are OEM spec Impala SS sizes; cool.

Are you using these front and back?

darebren
05-17-2003, 04:57 AM
pics pics pics, more more more. thanks!!!

merc406
05-17-2003, 07:24 AM
Yuk,------ the Marauder's wheel's are what people notice first and to spend more $$ on new one's, well, is a waste and takes away from the Bad look.

Thomas C Potter
05-17-2003, 10:40 PM
17x8 Colorado Custom Wheels with BFG 255/50/17 KDWS

For those who are interested, I offer the following: (Good pictures in a week or so)

1) Backspace of these wheels are 7”, stock is 6.56”. 7” is needed so this 1.4” wider tire dose not rub the fender’s inner lip. This wider tire looks so much better than the weenie front 235 Mercury designed. I plan to lower car some in the future and want to have inner lip clearance and ability to set camber at 0 or -.25.
2) These BFG 255 are readily available and likely will be for years, the Impala SS and two other vehicles use them. OD is 27.1/27.2, same as MM front. MM tires are unique and with MM being likely cancelled after 2004, who knows. Of course, other makes will likely be avail for the 18”.
3) Cost for 17” and these BFG are more reasonable than 18”. These wheels cost $350 each, tires $130 each. I like the BFG KDWS tires, MM stcok feels good, and a friend modified his ’95 Impala SS suspension to handle better, and he still uses the KDWS 255’s and it fees great.
4) I’m using the same tire/wheel front and rear so I can rotate, I have to be practical on this car, a toy car is a different story. I may also buy 17x9 or 18x9 for a ‘summer’ rear set with 265/275.
5) I have not weighed yet, but suspect the tire/wheel assy weight is very near to MM original front. But, the rotational inertia of the assy is likely lower, which is better for braking and acceleration. (a 17” ring of metal has lower inertia than an 18” ring)
6) Another possibility in the future for these 17” wheels are reasonable cost 255/45/17, but the smaller diameter may require a reprogramming of MM’s computer so ABS etc... is properly functioning.
7) I was assuming the turn radius would be affected, but rack can still attain full travel.
8) You can see all the wheel styles that Colorado Custom offers at their website. I do not work for Col Cust, they are the only company I found who could make 7” backspace at a reasonable price, other were $720 or more!! I called a bunch of companies.
9) Original MM lug nuts work fine.

Now for some not so good info:
A) Most tire shops will -NOT- be able to mount tires on these Colorado fat lip wheels. The tire has to be put on from the backside (reverse mount), a little fact I found out the hard way!!! So, I am compelled to get a full size spare.
B) Valve stem is on the center part of wheel and a very short stem needs to be used, 1” maximum height from surface to clear caliper. No big deal.

- If you are looking for ANY aftermarket wheel, make sure it has the counterbores to clear the rotor mounting clips. These clips do perform a real function, that of keeping rotor in placed when wheel is removed, so dirt does not fall between rotor and hub. I’d recommend adding 1 or 2 more.

- If you are looking for ANY aftermarket wheel, make sure it has a 2.779” center bore so wheel is centered on hub. Careful of caliper clearance.

Some of you make balk at changing wheels thinking Mercury’s choice is gospel. I think 5 spoke wheels in general are boring!! The MM’s front tires are too narrow and the rears too tall.

If anyone is interested in having a serious conversation about wheels, send me your phone number in a private message.

TP in VA

Mike M
05-17-2003, 10:49 PM
In my opinion the stock Marauder wheels are a work of art. They add to the rake of the car as well.

LincMercLover
05-17-2003, 10:57 PM
I love my rims just the way they are. No other rim have I seen reflect blades of sunlight in other cars and walls like these. I love that! They are a mix of sharp and smooth lines, just like the body itself. But, to each his own.

I'll gladly take the center caps off your hands Tom... :D