PDA

View Full Version : BP Gas Stinks in the southeast

greggash
08-15-2006, 01:54 PM
I USED to use BP Gasoline.........

My car was tuned for the CLEAR 93 octane that it used to be.

At first I noticed the fuel was a little off color (yellowish), and then I noticed the PING
BP has removed the gas pump handles with the sight glass, and removed all references to "clear" gasoline, why 'cause its not!

The only part of the country that still gets Clear BP 93 octane is in the Chicago area. Here in South Florida we get what is left over......some really bad crap that my car will no longer run on.

:down: :shake: :censor:

Breadfan
08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
This is not the first time I've heard this therefore I no long stop at BP stations. You all have helped make me really picky, I wait for Sunoco and in a pinch will do Shell.

MdnightMarauder
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah I live in chicago so I use BP, or Shell. I sorry to here that about you guys down south. That sucks! What about Shell? Is it clear down there?

Blackened300a
08-15-2006, 03:00 PM
I filled up at a Mobil last week. Just a few nights ago, I did a all out launch off the Torque convertor on a expressway entrance, I noticed a slight ping when I went through a tunnel and the sound reflected off the walls when I shifted into second. I never noticed it before so it has to be a tank of weak gas.
Its gas stations making money, With the prices the way they are, their not selling that much 93 octane so to make money and save some they probably top off with 89 or even 87.

ghost03
08-15-2006, 04:09 PM
I have had 4 bad batches of gas in the past few months. First two times were at Shell so I stopped using them. Then it was chevron.....then Hess...Now I only use BP. I havnt had any problems soo far but then again I have the worst luck in the world so Im not holding my breathe.

I doubt that we are getting true 93 octane here in south Fla.
I Have noticed that I have been getting the bad gas since the gas prices have gone up ....Less octane gas for more $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Thats how these people make a killing.

bradical
08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Here in the south BP sells Amoco gasoline. But I can't buy it because BP also stands for Busted Pipeline which has had a dramatic effect on US supply, and shows a total lack of maintenance and investment. How can you let 16 miles of a pipleine deteriorate like that?

I also never buy Citgo gas, since they are owned by the government of Venezuela, and Hugo Chavez has never tried to disguise his hatred of the USA. End political commentary.

Hotrauder
08-15-2006, 05:28 PM
We have had several problems with BP on the Fl. west coast in the past months therefore they are on my never stop list. Dennis:(

ghost03
08-15-2006, 06:07 PM
pretty soon ALL the gas is going to be screwed up.....OH well I guess that means we just have to use RACE FUEL from now on:banana2: TOO bad its sooooo dam expensive:mad2:

Cobra25
08-15-2006, 07:54 PM
If you remember a few months back President Bush removed some of the Federal Regulation's that gas companys were made to use , It delt with the Federal Clean Air Emmisions Act, So the Gas companys could make the gas quicker to get the gas to the stations faster. At was at that time the BP 93 went from clear to yellow.

Cobra25
08-15-2006, 08:02 PM
This is not the first time I've heard this therefore I no long stop at BP stations. You all have helped make me really picky, I wait for Sunoco and in a pinch will do Shell. Be carfull with the Shell Gas. last year a large Number of Autos had to go back to the Dealers because Shell had Very High levels of Sulfer.

Badger
08-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Very High levels of Suffer
They had very high levels of sulfur too. It made the engines suffer.

STLR FN
08-16-2006, 05:56 AM
80% of the time I use Sunoco or Marathon, 10% Mobil and the rest of the time there is an independent gas station I use that I get good results from. I used BP once,. While I didn't notice any adverse effects from the Amoco gas, I just don't used them.

magindat
08-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Thanx for the heads up, Greg.
I was a fan of the clear and have been using it for a very long time.
Since I can't rely on the big guys anymore, I found a local gas station that buys directly from a small supplier. 93 octane tests out at about 94.5 and the car runs well on it (at least no pinging or hesitating). His pumps are also set about .02 'extra' per gallon. Full service with oil check, windshield clean and tire pressure all for abou $.04 more than the self serve next door. That amounts to less than a buck per fill up. Worth it, in my opinion. Just too bad I can't always get there when I need gas.

Breadfan
08-16-2006, 06:33 AM
If you remember a few months back President Bush removed some of the Federal Regulation's that gas companys were made to use , It delt with the Federal Clean Air Emmisions Act, So the Gas companys could make the gas quicker to get the gas to the stations faster. At was at that time the BP 93 went from clear to yellow.

This must be why Shell now has the commercial that they're gas outperfroms federal regulations. It's not by design, but their formula used to just meet the regulations, but sheer luck the fed's relax those regulations so all of a sudden they're outperforming, ha! What a joke...

Thanks for the head's up on Shell, I was figuring they were OK, couldn't find a Sunoco last weekend and got a half-tank of Shell, but topped off with Sunoco 93 when I got home. :)

We should start a list of what gas companies are best, which to avoid, etc.

TAF
08-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Be nice boys...these folks ain't makin' any $ right now...and it's time for some "cut-backs" :eek:

JVJ
08-16-2006, 07:56 AM
I been using "Sunoco" gas on my "CVLX Sport". But the great thing about my car, that it can run on any fuels. From regular to super. Sorry to hear about your experience with the fuel down south. Hope that you will find good fuel for your super "Marauder". (Great Car)

Smokie
08-16-2006, 08:53 AM
I had a thread on pinging back in June, not many people visited so I figured it was a case of "only happening to me".

I buy BP and only BP. I don't know how good or how bad it is, to make a long...short, I purchased a bottle of the Techron additive for cleaning the combustion chamber because I suspected carbon deposits may be the culprit.

The pinging went away, I am not suggesting that the gas is not the problem, but carbon deposits may be a contributing factor.

ctrcbob
08-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Was at a local Ford Dealer yesterday, and I noticed that the fuel filler caps all said (I paraphrase) "Ford recommends BP Fuel". It said this on the FlexFuel (E85) car as well as the Gasoline car. Same fuel cap.

Shora
08-16-2006, 11:37 AM
How anyone can still use Mobil-Exxon is beyond me. I still cannot get over the fact that their CEO received such a large retirement bonus or whatever. Many of us are truely affected by the price of gas and that is just unacceptable.

Nevertheless, I know that all big oil companies and their CEOs are just crooks who lobby our elected officials for their benefit and we have no body to blame but ourselves for allowing it to happen. We don't protest, we don't boycott, we don't even organize and unite to show that we are serious about the issue.

I don't care what the rest of the world pays, we here in America can get gas cheaper if we damanded universal rules and regulations so that all counties in all 50 States received the same gas. Imagine the costs oil/gas companies face when they have to add different addatives and make different formulas just to meet the reulations of different counties (yes folks, you heard correctly: not different State regulations but an endless number of different County regulations.)

Furthermore, this level of "profit" would have never been tolerated in the 1940's-1950's (WWII) but now it's just called capitalism.

Sorry guys, I just feel strongly on the subject and how we have opportunity to do something, or at least try, and don't.

Sorry if I have offended anyone.

magindat
08-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Was at a local Ford Dealer yesterday, and I noticed that the fuel filler caps all said (I paraphrase) "Ford recommends BP Fuel". It said this on the FlexFuel (E85) car as well as the Gasoline car. Same fuel cap.

BP ad cards at the pump tout that they are recommended by Ford!

Breadfan
08-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Well I for one have had no pinging issues. I just want to keep it that way and would hate to purchase a tank of bad gas. I figure it's easy enough to do this, this requires very little effort on my part, I just change where i turn in for gas.