PDA

View Full Version : Key Bumping..?

BruteForce
08-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Anyone ever heard of this before? Key bumping is a method to open most any lock that you can get a blank (or key to same brand/model) for. See video for demonstrations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uv45y6vkcQ&search=bum p%20key

Quick and easy access with no sign of forced entry. Try and explain that to your homeowners insurance.

After watching that and Googling "key bumping", I decided I wanted to get some of the exotic deadbolts that can't be bumped. NOTHING available in the US directly (at least not for web purchase). Finally found someone selling ABLOY radial cylinder deadbolts on fleaBay.

BruteForce
08-19-2006, 07:51 AM
PS. I first looked for those fancy new biometric locks (fingerprint scanner), but all of them have a mechanical key override. :confused:

Joe Walsh
08-19-2006, 08:05 AM
WOW!!!:eek:

That is scary. I wonder how long this trick has been around?

Of course every punk on the internet will know about this in a couple of days.

BruteForce
08-19-2006, 08:49 AM
I wonder how long this trick has been around?

My research found its been known about 50 years but has recently been "re-discovered." One thing I found interesting was that more expensive locks are easier to bump due to tighter tolerances and harder metals.

I figure an exotic lock will lower the chances of the perp having a blank handy that will fit. That and the foreign manufacturers seem to be more aware of the problem and have incorporated anti-bump technologies.

rvaldez1
08-19-2006, 05:43 PM
My research found its been known about 50 years but has recently been "re-discovered." One thing I found interesting was that more expensive locks are easier to bump due to tighter tolerances and harder metals.

I figure an exotic lock will lower the chances of the perp having a blank handy that will fit. That and the foreign manufacturers seem to be more aware of the problem and have incorporated anti-bump technologies.

Well, I have worked in hardware stores since I was 14 and through that whole time I have messed around with various locks, rekeying etc. And you guys are right, most locks are 3 or 5 pin, like a standard kwikset or schlage. The blanks are overwhelmingly common, even yale and other china brands use the KW1 and SC1 blanks. I learned to key bump from an 80 year old man that owned the hardware stor I worked at, it works really easy on old gm cars as well.

ckadiddle
08-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Locks will only keep honest people and lazy crooks out of your house. Keep your insurance up to date, time to review our coverage vs. stuff we have accumulated in recent years.

My stuff can be replaced. My only real concern is someone entering while one or both of us is home.

hitchhiker
09-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Locks will only keep honest people and lazy crooks out of your house. Keep your insurance up to date, time to review our coverage vs. stuff we have accumulated in recent years.

My stuff can be replaced. My only real concern is someone entering while one or both of us is home.

Or install an intruder management system.

I collect locks and keys and have been able to open most of them with a few manipulations.

Restricted keyway locksets are available from Schlage, but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Try to get the highest 'alpha' keyway set you can. The higher the letter the more restricted the keyway.

Medeco also offers bump key resistant locks.

:D

VNMUS
09-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Just keep it in Germany!

O's Fan Rich
09-19-2006, 04:33 AM
That's good for my business.
Bad for the general public.

Bluerauder
09-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Anyone ever heard of this before? Key bumping is a method to open most any lock that you can get a blank (or key to same brand/model) for. See video for demonstrations.
Our local news ran a story on "Key Bumping" about a week ago. First time that I had ever heard about it. I think that they said the blanks needed to be cut in a particular way to make the bump work as intended. Apparently, there is an "art" in bumping the key just hard enough to work.

fairlane347
09-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Funny this came up since I work for an automotive supplier, we are now getting into residential locks. I have made my own bump keys and we are testing this method on our locks and the others on the market. Its way too easy to do this. We have not released ours yet but we have locksmiths working here and other that are fast at picking lock. Our locks have been Unpickable and unbumpable up to this point. We have it protected and are going to sell to lock companies. I like this lock and it holding up to tests very well. I need to put them in my house too:lol: