PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Hemi

gpfarrell
08-22-2006, 06:55 AM
I'm considering a Hemi. No, not to replace the MM... don't be silly!

I'm thinking of our next wagon. While I'd really like another BMW, paying $57,000 for a new one seems a bit silly. Finding a used one with the ultra-rare 6-speed stick in something other than black or silver could take years.

I don't mind the Chrysler 300C front end... what if (I copied whatever TV show that did it and) hung a 300C front clip on a Magnum R/T? I'd have something fast, functional, and fairly unique. Not off-the-wall, just different enough. I'd have to pay for the 300c parts, but I'd get something for the Magnum left overs, so the cost shouldn't be completely crazy.

I trolled around some of their forums... felt weird... but how can you argue with 340hp, 390 ft-lbs, and awd? Seems like these cars have great vendor support, with capitalism stepping in to offer nicer interior trim, etc. I saw an SRT8 at a car cruise over the weekend with (aftermarket) illuminated SRT8 kickplates... they were wired into the dome lights... subtle & slick & got me thinking that maybe our next BMW will be a (gulp) Dodge.

Turns out even do-no-wrong Chrysler has some left over R/Ts for cheap... used ones look even cheaper.

I'd consider the SRT-8, but I want to keep the MM out of the snow so I've got to vote for AWD over HP :(

Anybody have much seat time in these? How do they drive? I love the crisp feel of our old BMW and I'd hate to feel like I'm driving a pig... but it sounds like the Dodges have a lot of Mercedes Benz underneath them, and that beats K-car pieces!

ADE 1000
08-22-2006, 07:15 AM
I rented an AWD Hemi 300C while on vacation a few weeks ago and my brother has a Magnum. Overall, they are good cars for the money. The HEMI matched with the Merecedes derived 5 speed auto is a nice powertrain. Smooth and pretty quick. The interior is spacious and you do get a lot of bells and whistles normally found on more expensive cars. Reliability has been good minus a few electrical problems I have seen on early models.

My biggest complaint is the quality of the interior trim. The dash plastics appear to be made by Rubbermaid. The suspensions and steering are also on the softer side in the non-SRT models. They are comfortable on the highway, but overall they handle more like a late 90s E-class Benz than a 5-series BMW.

In Europe you can get the 300C in wagon form. Its called the 300C "Touring", I several on the road when I was there last month.

gpfarrell
08-22-2006, 07:24 AM
My biggest complaint is the quality of the interior trim. The dash plastics appear to be made by Rubbermaid.

You got something against Rubbermaid? :)

I think the aftermarket compaines could help the interior a bunch, but I think the MM does spoil us a bit with interior fit/finish/quality.

Thanks for the insights!

White Knuckles
08-22-2006, 08:15 AM
I've got an '05 300C AWD and definitely have the seat time. I just topped 60,000 miles. I'm a big guy (6'6"/240+) and this is the first car I could fully extend my legs out with the seat back. It has a very plush comfortable ride on long trips and since I always seem to be on the road---It's what I needed.

I do the regular maintenance, on my 2nd set of tires (1st set went 45,000: my MM is lucky to get 20,000) and no quality issues. This 300C has been worry free except for one time when I bought the new tires. Tire shop noticed small ooze of rearend grease------took it back to Dealer and they replaced rear pinion seal(under warranty)-----Only problem was that dealer didn't have the right sized socket to fit pinion nut, it was the weekend and couldn't get correct socket until Monday. He called Mercedes dealer and borrowed one of theirs.

I took the car in this past week because I heard that tell-tale squeal that says your pads need replacement--------dealer called me back to tell me pads were only glazed and I had another 50 percent-------60,000miles on original brakes:)

The Hemi is a strong runner but the factory tune tells me they aren't quite as confident the tranny can handle it. When you go WOT from a stop with AWD it bolts off the line, but at each shift it's like someone threw out an anchor.

I'll probably run this one another 20,000miles and see what's available. I was in Ford's corner but they left me in the lurch-----I had never owned a Chrysler product and have been pleased so far. What happened to that Ford lightbulb and that better idea?

mrjones
08-22-2006, 08:18 AM
In Europe you can get the 300C in wagon form. Its called the 300C "Touring", I several on the road when I was there last month.

It's basically the Magnum with the 300C front end on it, AND you can get it with a turbo diesel.

RoyLPita
08-22-2006, 09:34 AM
The Charger, 300C, and Magnum would be on my list of vehicles that I would get that are near 10 years of age and are also very cheap. My dealer has a Black 300C AWD and an early build 3.5 Touring in Magnesium. we also have our fair share of SRT8s.

If I wanted to put a front end on the Magnum wagon, it would be the Charger since everyone else is doing the 300C.

DarthMarauder
08-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Arent they going to make the 300C as a wagon so it will look like a Magnum with a 300C front clip on it? I see then all the time on the highway here in MI with manufacture plates on them and the wheel is on the correct side. I say that cause I've seen some cars with manuf. plates with the wheel on the wrong side cause we arent getting them. (ie an el camino style chevy bound for AUS)
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/dennis/20060306/16/684183215.jpg
But the 300C is set-up for the correct side so who knows.

MarauderTJA
08-22-2006, 03:50 PM
My daughter has a 05 R/T Hemi Magnum wagon. She has had numerous problems with the car, most with the transmission. Been in the shop 8 times since new with under 10K on the clock. They are looking now to trade it.

Also, I saw a report on the news where it (Magnum) is the top reported car with complaints in the nation. Don't know if was with the 6 or 8 cylinder cars though. The new Mustang GT was ranked third in complaints.

The SRT 8 is another story as well as somewhat pricey. But a far better car. The Magnum is a sharp looking wagon though.

RCSignals
08-23-2006, 02:14 AM

Also, I saw a report on the news where it (Magnum) is the top reported car with complaints in the nation. Don't know if was with the 6 or 8 cylinder cars though. The new Mustang GT was ranked third in complaints.

That doesn't sound right for either car

MENINBLK
08-23-2006, 07:15 AM
If you want a HEMI, AWD, and a wagon, get one of these...

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/dispatch.do?currentState=Enlar ger&lang=en&imageUrl=http%3A//www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/vimg/us/eal/eal_images/65/CC06_WKJX74_2TL_PSB_APA_XXX_XX XT.jpg

gpfarrell
08-23-2006, 07:41 AM
If you want a HEMI, AWD, and a wagon, get one of these...

http://www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/dispatch.do?currentState=Enlar ger&lang=en&imageUrl=http%3A//www-5.jeep.com/vehsuite/vimg/us/eal/eal_images/65/CC06_WKJX74_2TL_PSB_APA_XXX_XX XT.jpg

Ahh, good idea.

It's not that I want a Hemi... I want a family truckster that is lots of fun to drive, "feels good", is a bit unique, and goes in the snow. While I love my truck, I really want to drive a car every day. A hemi Magnum with a 300 conversion might be that. So would a BMW 530Xi Wagon... but at $56k... eeeks.

I think that Jeep is neat, but not quite me.

Thanks though!

MarauderTJA
08-23-2006, 01:49 PM
That doesn't sound right for either car

I was surprised on the Ford GT being on the list. But, it is known as the Car Complaint Index. The top 5 cars on the complaint list were: 1. Dodge Magnum 2. Ford GT 3. Suzuki Verona 4. GTO 5. Land Rover LR-3.

cbs4boston.com/consumer/local_story_219141617 (http://cbs4boston.com/consumer/local_story_219141617)

We Marauder owners are not on this list, nor was it ever. BUT we are third on the most stolen car list.

RoyLPita
08-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I was surprise on the Ford GT being on the list. But, it is known as the Car Complaint Index. The top 5 cars on the complaint list were: 1. Dodge Magnum 2. Ford GT 3. Suzuki Verona 4. GTO 5. Land Rover LR-3.

http://www.cbs4boston.com/consumer/local_story_219141617

We Marauder owners are not on this list, nor was it ever. BUT we are third on the most stolen car list.

I believe the reason why the GT is on the list is from all of the recalls the car had. I know that 2 GTs came in to my workplace just for dead batteries.

MarauderTJA
08-23-2006, 02:18 PM
I believe the reason why the GT is on the list is from all of the recalls the car had. I know that 2 GTs came in to my workplace just for dead batteries.

I'm sure the people who could afford the Ford GT would complain about anything. It amazes me that it would make the list with so few cars produced. Maybe they meant the Ford Mustang GT.

Vortex
08-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Though Ive never raced either of them, I must admit my truck (a quadcab even) feels every bit as quick as my MM. Love em both.

RoyLPita
08-23-2006, 04:18 PM
The only troubles that I have seen on the Mustang GT would be the outer door handles, check engine lights and the fuel tank that has a temper accepting new fuel.

gpfarrell
08-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Took a Hemi Magnum for a test beat today.

It was a RWD R/T, nicely equipped, but not loaded enough and not AWD, so even though it was the right color I was still safe.

It had 46 miles on it. Pretty nice, a bit large but not too large. The interior felt nicer than I remembered and it had a lot of the spoil-you features I've really grown to like that our on the MM and our BMW. Stuff like heated mirrors, auto-dimming mirror, automatic headlights (which the BMW doesn't have), dual zone climate (not in the MM), etc.

Had very nice mid-throttle torque, much better than my first drive in a crispy new Marauder. But at WOT, it wasn't overwhelming. I mean, it was plenty fast, but it didn't feel any faster then the MM to my butt.

The 1-2 shift really felt watered down, but I suppose the auto-stick could be mildly entertaining... but no match for the shorty shifter in our old wagon.

Body roll was moderate. Not terrible, but not as flat as the MM and not as crisp as our 134,000 mile wagon.

Hmmm. Maybe a "chip" would fix the shifts and a set of springs would snug it up. I dunno.

It seemed very nice, but I don't know if I'd trade the BMW and a pile of money for it. While the Dodge would smoke the 193hp BMW in a straight line, the BMW is really a strong solid car that still feels well engineered and is fun to drive any distance other than the quarter mile.

Thanks for all the insights... I think I learned more hear than I could have on a Dodge forum!

I guess if I needed a wagon tomorrow the Magnum would be fine, but I kinda like having a BMW and a pile of money. Now I just need to keep that European car away from the pile of money!