PDA

View Full Version : Donny...let's talk Harley Trucks!

Breadfan
08-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Donny, this is probably something you'll be able to give a lot input on, and I'm sure others can too.

In the next year or so I want to consider another vehicle. Keeping my MM in the process. OK maybe more than a year...depends on if I keep my 'stang.

Anyway...the idea is that if I move further from work I don't want to commute daily in my Marauder. I'd want to go ahead and look for a good competent vehicle...ideally I'd like something big, somewhat fun, can tow, and something AWD/4WD would be a plus for the winters.

Although perhaps beyond what I'll be looking for price-wise, I want to learn more about the Harley edition F150's, not hte '06s really, but the previous years. I've seen a few older ones with decent prices...

Were they all s/c'ed?

Were tha all 2wd or did they come in 4wd/awd?

Obviously I really like the Lightning for it's speed, plus it's got a pickup bed. But it's not a crew cab (I wonder how much room that leaves a 6'4" person), and they don't come in AWD.

So...just want to learn more, if not to buy, to admire.

EDIT: OK I think they're a tad more than I originally thought, so yeah I think this might just be to admire, but still to learn more. :)

magindat
08-23-2006, 11:58 AM
AWD introduced to Harley f150 in 06 model year.

TAF
08-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Donny will be able to help you...but, so you can do some "homework" before you speak with him....you'll find him hangin' his hat here http://www.nhtoc.com/ ( The National Harley Truck Owners Club Board ) a lot lately. It's a pretty good board...not too active but some good info.

I hope this helps...

Marauder2005
08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
A good friend of mine has a Silver/Black 2003 HD. It has the 5.4L V8, with

Eaton S/C from factory (390HP). Its 2wd only. AWESOME truck. Don't know

much about other years.

Bruce Wayne
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Good choice , these trucks are awsome lookin' machines, with lots of cool H.D. goodies, You are not going to find a smoother running mill than the 5.4 litre triton, get the 100th anniversary model.SWEET!

Donny Carlson
08-23-2006, 06:38 PM
You should be able to find a relatively low mileage, absolutely gorgeous '02 or '03 out there. The '03's were the 100th anniversary edition and have special badging. As a matter of fact, a nearby used car lot has a two tone black and silver '03, 61,000 miles, on the lot. It's a beauty. They want $26,900 for it (not too bad, but still too high, imo).

'02 and '03 were the model years with supercharged 5.4L engines. They were tuned to produce slightly less hp than the lightnings (by about 20 hp, i.e. the Lightnings were 360 hp, the Harley's 340 hp.) But, essentially, they are the same engine and can be tuned an modded just like a Lightning.

Generally, the Lightning is faster than a Harley because the Harley is heavier (no 4 doors on the Lightning), though there are some modded Harley trucks that are damn fast.

The '02 and '03 models are SuperCrews, 4 doors. The Harley guys call them "Screws" It's actually preferred over the Supercab like the '06 has, and the '07's will be Supercrews again.

AWD was new (and exclusive) to the Harley's in '06. Previous models were 2WD.

You may want to take a serious look at a used '06 --- or a left over '06, once the '07's hit the streets in October. You could pick up a like new '06 (or even a new one) for a great price and get AWD.

The NHTOC web site is a good place to browse and learn. There's a good gallery there, and people sell their trucks on that site. They also heads up trucks on ebay or other places.

Here's what the '03 HD for sale nearby looks like. The silver stripe also is on the solid black '03 HD. It's cool, too: embedded in the silver part of the stripe are the words "Harley Davidson" set back and forth.

http://www.elepent.com/photos/ford/HarleyF150.jpg '03 HD Anniversary Edition

A review of the '03's:

http://www.elepent.com/review.php?nr=529

Motor Trend article on the '02's

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/pickup/112_0203_2002_ford_harley_davi dson_f150_supercrew/

http://www.motortrend.com/features/112_0203_l+2002_ford_harley_da vidson_edition_f_150_supercrew _pickup+front_left.jpg '02 HD

Breadfan
08-23-2006, 07:51 PM
Cool thanks for the links Donny.

Basically I'm looking at trucks as a daily driver for the ability to be a tow vehicle for a coupe Mustang in the case I bulid one up for weekend racing. It doesn't have to be a diesel F350, just something that could handle a weekend tow...and at the same time get more than 12mpg for a daily drive.

The Harley trucks have always caught my eye, I started looking at them and wow they're hot looking trucks and the S/C is a bonus. The '06's...they're not S/C correct? 3valve 5.4? Trilogy takes care of the rest from what I've seen. ;)

So anyway I'm going to keep learning about them, not sure when I'd be in the market probably not for some time, so by then it may be on the list budget-wise.

They are some good lookin' trucks though!

If not I may just pick up a Continental for cheap and call it a 2-3 year comfortable commuter...

It's all just fun reading for now. :) Thanks for the links and info!