PDA

View Full Version : Dual Mode Mufflers - Year 1 review

DEFYANT
08-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Well my friends, moving parts in the mufflers can cause problems.

Ok! You were right. There I said it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, for a few weeks I've been going crazy hunting down an annoying rattle. It sounded as if the kooks high flow cats were bad, but I had no loss in performance. After the deep trans pan went in I posted pics. Some of you noticed the cats looked like they were getting too hot, I agreed and had them removed. For a short time, I am running resonators and WILL replace them with new cats.

But I still have the rattle. It only shows up at 2K rpm under a load. I could not detect it while I was hitting the mufflers. But CheeseheadBob took a swing and there it was!

So after one year and about 12K miles, my ($350.00 each) mufflers are rattleing. :mad:

I love the sound otherwise. I contacted FRPP and hope to receive positive customer service by way of replacement or credit towards new mufflers.

There you have it gents.

Original mufflers thread
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20262&highlight=duel+mode

shakes_26
08-24-2006, 08:52 AM
$350 Each??? I got these for around $300/pair. I guess anytime you have moving parts in anything it increases the risk of failure.

KillJoy
08-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Man, that sucks! It looks like there is a price to pay to have the best of both worlds.

Best of luck gettin those suckers replaced! Worst case scenario, I think DR has them for $329. Or go w/ another option?????

KillJoy

DEFYANT
08-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Another option indeed!

Thats alot of money to keep throwingat mufflers every year. I am not sure what CheeseheadBob is running, but his exhaust sounds great with an OEM tone.

ctrlraven
08-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Flowmaster 40 series dual chambers......idle purrs like a kitten, 50%-wot roar like a lion. I got mine for $300/pair.

Marauder386
08-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Keep me posted with your communication with FRP on the replacement...I have had mine in for a year or so now with no rattle...will keep a tweeked ear open now...

Dragcity
08-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Aww, come on. Just cut the mufflers and run Lake Pipes Man !

Blackened300a
08-24-2006, 02:00 PM
That Sucks!
I have Cherry bomb Vortex with Res-delete tips and they sound great at WOT and quiet when cruising.

Just another option to consider.

DarthMarauder
08-24-2006, 02:50 PM
That Sucks!
I have Cherry bomb Vortex with Res-delete tips and they sound great at WOT and quiet when cruising.

Just another option to consider.
Got audio dont think I've heard this setup still deciding what I want.

Blackened300a
08-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Got audio dont think I've heard this setup still deciding what I want.

This link is my car on the dyno. The sound is pretty good but ill take a close up vid when it stops raining tonight.

blackened300a - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/?action=view&current=DSCN0322.flv&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch17)

Mike
08-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Sounds AWESOME!!!!!!

Hotrauder
08-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Charlie, My Dual Modes are still almost new, and I have had the rattle since install; at low rpm also which I believe is the gate opening and closing again as there is not sufficient flow to hold it open at that level of power. I do not have it at higher rpm or on the highway, only around town and at partial throttle. I could be wrong but I am not sure that it is a defect as the gate is spring loaded and functions on exhaust pressure. I do believe that a stout whack on the muffler could cause that gate to open and snap closed. I am not going to let the vaunted Cheesehead beat my mufflers. :D Just my uneducated, stranger to tools guess. Please let me know what you find out. thanks Dennis PS- $296.00 the pair, shipped.

Cheeseheadbob
08-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Hey, it was a gentle tapping with my calibrated knuckles. Now if you have any other noises you want diagnosed, I have a sawed off broom handle I use to whack things.:P
I am not going to let the vaunted Cheesehead beat my mufflers. :D Just my uneducated, stranger to tools guess.

Marauderjack
08-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Nobody will listen to me but......please listen carefully now.....Ford exhaust systems rattle without the dampers on them!!!:eek:

If you don't put the vibration dampers back on the whole system will VIBRATE at certain RPM's....GUARANTEED!!:argue: Mine does it slightly at 700-750 RPM's but I'm lucky since that is not a range it stays in long.....I'll probably have Todd weld mine back on when I'm there in a few weeks!!:bows:

You can put a muffler clamp on the pipe loosely and you will hear the same rattling sound.:argue:

Weld the dampers back temporarily and see if it works.....can't cost that much and could save a bunch of grief!!:confused:

My $0.02 FWIW??:cool:

Marauderjack

Hotrauder
08-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Nobody will listen to me but......please listen carefully now.....Ford exhaust systems rattle without the dampers on them!!!:eek:

If you don't put the vibration dampers back on the whole system will VIBRATE at certain RPM's....GUARANTEED!!:argue: Mine does it slightly at 700-750 RPM's but I'm lucky since that is not a range it stays in long.....I'll probably have Todd weld mine back on when I'm there in a few weeks!!:bows:

You can put a muffler clamp on the pipe loosely and you will hear the same rattling sound.:argue:

Weld the dampers back temporarily and see if it works.....can't cost that much and could save a bunch of grief!!:confused:

My $0.02 FWIW??:cool:

Marauderjack

Sounds like good 411 to me. Thanks, Jack. I will try that. I assume that the dampers are the rubber mounted hangers? Is that correct? Any more info would be appreciated as I can get this dome when the 4" Wes Chain tips are installed. Dennis:)

StevenJ
08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
I've had good luck with 18 inch Magnaflow mufflers. If I had to change them out for something else, I'd try Hooker Areo Chambered mufflers or some glasspack mufflers. Does anyone have glasspacks on a Marauder? I'd be very curious to hear what the sound like!

Marauderjack
08-28-2006, 03:14 AM
The dampers are the brown colored "Doo-Dads" welded to the OEM mufflers. They are about half the size of a cola can and rubberized outside......:beer:

I had a CV that I fabricated duals for and the single damper from the single exhaust didn't cut it.....IT RATTLED LIKE A BUSTED CATALYTIC CONVERTER......until I got the other damper from a junk yard......then PERFECTLY QUIET!!:bows:

Todd has never put the OEM dampers back on any system he does and honestly the rattle is very slight and most "NORMAL" folks wouldn't think twice about it!!:cool: I plan to get his Hi-Flow cats and get Bryan to put the dampers back soon!!:beer:

I'm sure someone else has kept theirs if you don't have the ones that came off your car??:confused:

Good Luck and let us know how it comes out!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

Hotrauder
08-28-2006, 04:39 AM
Thanks again, Jack. I still have the OEM's so they should, I hope still be there. Dennis:D

DEFYANT
08-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Interesting.

In all my research into exhaust systems, this is the first time I hear about dampeners being required. Maybe on the OEM set up, but on the aftermarket ones too?

I (we) spent over $600.00 on mufflers, if dampeners are necessary, they should have come with them :mad:

wchain
08-28-2006, 12:37 PM
FRPP has a one year warranty on their mufflers. If you don't get any help, I may be able to call in a favor.

Hotrauder
08-31-2006, 01:30 PM
The dampers are the brown colored "Doo-Dads" welded to the OEM mufflers. They are about half the size of a cola can and rubberized outside......:beer:

I had a CV that I fabricated duals for and the single damper from the single exhaust didn't cut it.....IT RATTLED LIKE A BUSTED CATALYTIC CONVERTER......until I got the other damper from a junk yard......then PERFECTLY QUIET!!:bows:

Todd has never put the OEM dampers back on any system he does and honestly the rattle is very slight and most "NORMAL" folks wouldn't think twice about it!!:cool: I plan to get his Hi-Flow cats and get Bryan to put the dampers back soon!!:beer:

I'm sure someone else has kept theirs if you don't have the ones that came off your car??:confused:

Good Luck and let us know how it comes out!!

Marauderjack:burnout:

Jack, I pulled my OEM mufflers out of the boxes and guess what...No dampers on them..2004 year MM. I talked with my installer and he says he is familiar with the dampers on higher end Ford cars, Lincolns, ect. He recommended contacting Ford Motor Sports. I will do that and see where it goes. any info here would be appreciated. Anyone with OEM dampers they are not longer using I would be interested. thanks. Dennis

Addendum-Heavy on the dum..b Just got off the phone with Russell the high performance service advisor at Team Ford of Gene Evans Ford Union city/Atlanta, Ga. where my Ford Motor Sports Dual Modes came from and unfortunately he tells me that he has never run into this situation and further he doesn't know anything about dampers. Again, any input would be appreciated..... thanks

nexstar7
09-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Well my friends, moving parts in the mufflers can cause problems.

Ok! You were right. There I said it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, for a few weeks I've been going crazy hunting down an annoying rattle. It sounded as if the kooks high flow cats were bad, but I had no loss in performance. After the deep trans pan went in I posted pics. Some of you noticed the cats looked like they were getting too hot, I agreed and had them removed. For a short time, I am running resonators and WILL replace them with new cats.

But I still have the rattle. It only shows up at 2K rpm under a load. I could not detect it while I was hitting the mufflers. But CheeseheadBob took a swing and there it was!

So after one year and about 12K miles, my ($350.00 each) mufflers are rattleing. :mad:

I love the sound otherwise. I contacted FRPP and hope to receive positive customer service by way of replacement or credit towards new mufflers.

There you have it gents.

Original mufflers thread
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20262&highlight=duel+mode

hey, whats up. just put them on my gto. holy crap what a sound. ive had them on for about 2 months. i love them. hey i know Ford on a GM ive hears them all.:burnout:

StevenJ
09-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Dennis, you got stock mufflers on a Rienhart Cobra header exhaust sytems? I am pretty sure you said you had Maganflows? I'm confused. I mean, thanks again for letting me drive your wonderful car but I'm pretty sure you said you had maganaflows.... I guess you like that sleeper sound huh...

Hotrauder
09-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Dennis, you got stock mufflers on a Rienhart Cobra header exhaust sytems? I am pretty sure you said you had Maganflows? I'm confused. I mean, thanks again for letting me drive your wonderful car but I'm pretty sure you said you had maganaflows.... I guess you like that sleeper sound huh...

Stephen, I had Flomaster 40's when the Cobra system was installed. I did not like the rap so I reinstalled the OEM's and that was the set up when you drove it. I recently went to FMS Dual Modes and I like them but they do have a different sound at part throttle when the straight thru door is fluctuating, does sound something like a rattle.

I have been unable to learn anything more about dampers. Dennis

99SVT
09-10-2006, 11:06 PM
I've had dual mode mufflers on my 99 Cobra for about three years now. I've had no problems with them rattleing until I took the car to an SVTOA track day. I'm guessing that running the car at WOT for extended periods of time weakened the springs in the mufflers. The rattle olnly happens at light cruise/low rpm, so I try not to stay there too long.