PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be new daily driver...

bryanthomas
08-24-2006, 05:55 PM
O.K. I can't stand it. I have to tell someone about my new found interest, and since I do not like to bore my co-workers or my parents with my auto obsession (they would listen, but they just don't get it) I'll spill the beans here. I love my Marauder, but I don't want to drive it every day any more. I still have 4 years 'til it's paid off and I want to enjoy it well after it's paid for. I've already got some good sized rock chips in the hood and for a paint care junky like me it is hard to stomach. :puke: So I am going to garage it and get a new daily. Garaging it will allow me to drastically cut down the mileage and I will be able to make a few other mods ;) that I was hesitant to do because it is my daily driver and only car .;)

But, on with the point to this thread. I can't just buy a Civic hybrid or some other econo box like a normal person... I mean I am a car guy, I have to feel cool in my daily driver, right? I'm thinking Astro/Safari. So of course I've been lurking their forums and found one that I really inspired me. I should be purchasing a van within a month and then I'm going to set it up like this guys:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Someonebikes/van008.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e390/Someonebikes/vanfest/vanfest2006058.jpg

I can't wait! :pimp:

Hotrauder
08-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a plan. Good luck. Dennis:D

VNMUS
08-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Soccer Mom! :P

bryanthomas
08-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Soccer Mom! :P

:P Bro you're just jealous! But when I throw the mini-fridge and futon in the back you'll be PM'ing me in now time!! :burnout:

VNMUS
08-24-2006, 06:50 PM
:P Bro you're just jealous! But when I throw the mini-fridge and futon in the back you'll be PM'ing me in now time!! :burnout:
I understand your frustrations with gas and all. That's why my daily driver is a 3L SVT Contour. It's a 4 door and with the 3L conversion it's pretty fast. And I still get 28mpg. Oh yeah, and no one asks me to take their kids to soccer practice j/k All I have is respect for all car enthusiasts. Oops, did I say car again? ;)

Mebot
08-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Not bad, you gotta do what you gotta do. I actually have a 97 Altima as my daily driver, but ever since it rolled over 100K it's been giving me a lot of problems.

I actually have better peace of mind in my Marauder than the Altima

TAF
08-25-2006, 04:18 AM
"If this vans rockin'...don't mind knockin'..." :up:

"We made love in my Chevy van...and that's alright with me"

Note: Bryan...you are much too young to remember this...but maybe others here will..

jimlam56
08-25-2006, 05:04 AM
I understand your frustrations with gas and all. That's why my daily driver is a 3L SVT Contour. It's a 4 door and with the 3L conversion it's pretty fast. And I still get 28mpg. Oh yeah, and no one asks me to take their kids to soccer practice j/k All I have is respect for all car enthusiasts. Oops, did I say car again? ;)

I've got 2 2000 SVT Contours, one black one silver.
What great little cars for the money!
I'm going to set up the silver one as a track car next year.
I've heard about the 3 liter swap, but wasn't sure the trouble was worth the extra HP and torque.
The stock 2.5 pumps out 200hp, what's the benefit of the 3 liter swap?

magindat
08-25-2006, 05:12 AM
I'd be happy to sell you mine which is already ready already.

Check it out at www.magindat.net (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/www.magindat.net).

I'm ready to let it go for about 6500.

24K miles, Air suspension, big stereo, rims, tires, neon, paint. Lotta work in it, but I want a boat.

It's paid off and I have title. Lemme know on PM!

RoyLPita
08-25-2006, 05:23 AM
Check out Magindat's van. It is cool.

BTW, check out this site: www.hwysafety.org for offset crash info on the Astro van. It is not good.

fairlane347
08-25-2006, 05:50 AM
I am parking my MM for the winter to but I will drive my moded 2000 MGM. Like you said car guys have to look and feel the part. I have a 1 year old now and have vowed to NEVER own a stereotypical mini van or such vehical. I am not ripping you new ride but I could not stomach your choice. Just my 2cents but I find it funny, good luck with your purchase.:lol:

bryanthomas
08-25-2006, 12:29 PM
but I find it funny:lol:

LOL, I actually find it kind of funny myself... all kinds of stereotypes and comments came up when I mentioned it to my friends (kids and drugs mostly, LOL). Two things I adamantly stay away from. :-D

VNMUS
08-25-2006, 12:53 PM
I've got 2 2000 SVT Contours, one black one silver.
What great little cars for the money!
I'm going to set up the silver one as a track car next year.
I've heard about the 3 liter swap, but wasn't sure the trouble was worth the extra HP and torque.
The stock 2.5 pumps out 200hp, what's the benefit of the 3 liter swap?
With the 2.5L your are getting about 200hp to the crank. With the 3L swap, headers and a tune you get about 220HP to the wheels, plus it brings the powerband down a lot lower for a greater launch. I've driven both and there's a huge difference. The 3L CSVT can take most highly modified 2.5L CSVT's right out of the box. But when it comes time to start the mods you have a bigger platform to work with. There's a guy in my SVT club that has done 9 of them now, including a Cougar. Nice little business on the side he has going.

VNMUS
08-25-2006, 12:55 PM
LOL, I actually find it kind of funny myself... all kinds of stereotypes and comments came up when I mentioned it to my friends (kids and drugs mostly, LOL). Two things I adamantly stay away from. :-D
You'll probably be the youngest male minivan driver in the country. Good luck with your quest.

LILALLEYKATT
08-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Check out VW s TDI diesel i regularly get over 50 M.P.G.. What I save in fuel is allowing me to purchase a 04 Silver MM.. Plus they will go for 300-400K no problem...

Skiordie53
08-26-2006, 06:34 AM
I just went the oppisite, the Marauder became the daily driver, as I just picked up a 2000 Navy Blue Metallic Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk Vert as my new toy.

bryanthomas
08-26-2006, 07:47 AM
I just went the oppisite, the Marauder became the daily driver, as I just picked up a 2000 Navy Blue Metallic Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk Vert as my new toy.

Nice! Got any pics? Also not a bad idea... keep my bad ass Marauder as a daily and get something even more bad ass!!! :D

Skiordie53
08-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Time for the saturday morning car wash, I'll take some pics after. As much as I love the Marauder, those LS1 engines with a six speed are too much fun.