PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this car and sell it?

Motorhead350
08-26-2006, 10:21 PM
I came across something the other day. I saw a Plymoth from what looks like 1948 or before that has 4 doors and a brand new looking silver paint job. The second row doors are suicide, but the wheels are all ugly spairs. Now this car is only going for $2,200 and if that body is as good as it looks I could easily get 6 grand or probably more for it. I didn't get a good look because it was fenced off in a used car lot, but I'm going back for it monday to take a look. So think it's worth getting and selling for profit? I still have enough for my engine incase some of you think I'm going off focus on fixing my Marauder. I'm confused because I don't know how popular these cars are especially here in Chicago.

nomad
08-27-2006, 03:30 AM
Yes,sell it.

nomad
08-27-2006, 03:31 AM
No, don't sell it.

94_302
08-27-2006, 06:08 AM
How do you know you could get 6 grand for it when you don't know what model it is? Not criticizing, I just think you should find out a bit more about the car then do a lot of research before you try it. But good luck with it.

Motorhead350
08-27-2006, 11:14 AM
True, but from what I've seen in Magizines and other classic car things, something is this condition sells well. I still need to look at it though because all I did is drive by. It could have a rusted through frame for all I know and if it does I stay away.

Donny Carlson
08-27-2006, 11:53 AM
True, but from what I've seen in Magizines and other classic car things, something is this condition sells well. I still need to look at it though because all I did is drive by. It could have a rusted through frame for all I know and if it does I stay away.

I am no expert in classic cars, but I did own one once, and sold it to a collector. You are trying to flip a car hoping to make a huge profit. You'll need to find a buyer about as clueless as yourself, because any true restorer or collector will know exactly what the car is worth. There's a reason it's sitting on that lot unsold. $2,200 is about right for a 41-48 Plymouth depending on the model and how complete and original the car is. Nobody, and I mean nobody will pay you $6,000 for it unless it's a very rare variant and it's in excellent shape.

But then, it's your Daddy's money, and one thing is as good as another to waste it on I suppose.

Why don't you go over to some classic car forums and annoy them with your nonesense?

My car was a 1927 Chandler Royal 8, willed to me by my grandfather. He was a house painter during the depression, and a wealthy woman bartered the car in exchange for him painting her house and some rental houses she owned. He drove the car about 10 years before parking it in the garage behind his house (along with a couple other cars and tons of junk he never would throw out) and I would play in the car when I visited him. He put the car in his will, and when he passed away in 1971, the car became mine. My other grandfather helped me get it running, and I drove it unrestored throughout high school. I sold it to a collector in Texas for $5,000 in 1974 and saw it restored back in 1978... it's a beauty!

Pic below is a '29 Royal 8, which is very close to the '27. Mine was this two color combo as well, dark blue and black, except mine had a light blue pinstripe for an accent.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/1/1/3/6/chandler_1929_j_gerdes.jpg

http://www.tocmp.com/pix/images/1927ChandlerRoyalEight.jpg

O's Fan Rich
08-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I am no expert in classic cars, but I did own one once, and sold it to a collector. You are trying to flip a car hoping to make a huge profit. You'll need to find a buy about as clueless as yourself, because any true restorer or collector will know exactly what the car is worth. There's a reason it's sitting on that lot unsold. $2,200 is about right for a 41-48 Plymouth depending on the model and how complete and original the car is. Nobody, and I mean nobody will pay you $6,000 for it unless it's a very rare variant and it's in excellent shape.

But then, it's your Daddy's money, and one thing is as good as another to waste it on I suppose.

Why don't you go over to some classic car forums and annoy them with your nonesense?

My car was a 1927 Chandler Royal 8, willed to me by my grandfather. He was a house painter during the depression, and a wealthy woman bartered the car in exchange for him painting her house and some rental houses she owned. He drove the car about 10 years before parking it in the garage behind his house (along with a couple other cars and tons of junk he never would throw out) and I would play in the car when I visited him. He put the car in his will, and when he passed away in 1971, the car became mine. My other grandfather helped me get it running, and I drove it unrestored throughout high school. I sold it to a collector in Texas for $5,000 in 1974 and saw it restored back in 1978... it's a beauty!

http://www.tocmp.com/pix/images/1927ChandlerRoyalEight.jpg

Ohhhhhhhh myyy my my my....
Motorhead, you're really something else!! Take the 2200 and put it in the bank. Buy a CD for a couple of years. When it matures, you'll be more too. Then decide where to spend it....

martyo
08-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Would someone please pass the damn Skittles? :D

RR|Suki
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Would someone please pass the damn Skittles? :D
skittles are on the way in exchange for some DEW!!! :hide:

baltimoremm
08-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Agreed. Before you try to buy a car, it would help to actually know some more about the car. If it is indeed a 48 plymouth, and its a 4 door, chances are its a deluxe or special delux. Not especially rare cars by any means. The engine is likely a flathead 6, which are not really sought after engines.
My advice, sink that cash into getting your marauder back on the road. One project at a time....

SergntMac
08-27-2006, 03:55 PM
My advice, sink that cash into getting your marauder back on the road. One project at a time....Good advice, thank you, sir.

Motorhead350
08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=Donny Carlson]I

Why don't you go over to some classic car forums and annoy them with your nonesense?[QUOTE]
First off this is my money, second why are you trying to start something like this again? Trying to make someone feel bad, stupid and useless just to make yourself feel good... that just shows how weak you are. Third this isn't nonsense because there is a point to this and thats to make a profilt. I know nothing about buying and selling a car so I thought I'd ask for advice. I got it from a few, but it's commits like yours that are not only useless, a waste of my time, but your also making yourself look bad for going after me. I thought this whole thing about half of the board against me was over, but apparently not we still have some people who LOVE to start trouble and I am the one that gets punished. I wouldn't be surprized if I get a message from someone for defending myself or another suspension. Also who are you to talk about daddy's money... you got your classic for free. Can someone close this thread because someone had to ruin my learing experience.

Also I mentioned that this wouldn't effect getting the Marauder getting back on the road at all.

Motorhead350
08-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Ohhhhhhhh myyy my my my....
Motorhead, you're really something else!! Take the 2200 and put it in the bank. Buy a CD for a couple of years. When it matures, you'll be more too. Then decide where to spend it....

A simple "pass on this one" would have been fine, but thanks for the extra bs.