PDA

View Full Version : Is exhaust worth my while?

USMCmarauder
08-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I just bought an 03 Marauder with 12k miles. I will be deploying soon and don't want to go overboard with mods just yet, but was thinking about high flow cats and mufflers along with a cold air kit and tuner in the next few weeks. Will be the money spent on exhaust be worth it? Thanks

Peter

94_302
08-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Currently I don't believe there is an exhaust kit that bolts up to the stock manifolds. I did the cobra manifolds with a VRS catted x-pipe and I must say I am pleased with the results.

Smokie
08-27-2006, 07:22 PM
I just bought an 03 Marauder with 12k miles. I will be deploying soon and don't want to go overboard with mods just yet, but was thinking about high flow cats and mufflers along with a cold air kit and tuner in the next few weeks. Will be the money spent on exhaust be worth it? Thanks

Peter

Exhaust work while leaving the stock exhaust manifold will not result in a significant power gain, the bottleneck starts at the manifolds. If you do complete exhaust it is both more expensive and also worthwhile, complete exhaust will compliment just about anything else you do in the future.

If you are looking for louder exhaust, mufflers and delete resonator tips will make a big difference.

CRUZTAKER
08-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Unless our local SS WORKS has come up with something, there is no such kit without replacing the manifolds. It used to be a fitment problem. The new stuff doesn't fit existing stuff unless you get it all.
But there is one thing to think about here. The manifold is where it all starts. This is where to start relieving the bottleneck. Not further down the pipe.

I'm not much of a motorhead, but I can assure you, if you do the exhaust correctly, and start with manifolds...or even headers...and then go with a nice xpipe and cats...you will be impressed with the results.

My KOOKS full kit (I IN NO WAY ENDORSE ANY PARTICULAR PRODUCT), produced a massive 45 rwhp for me.

If you were closer I'd suggest Taffy's place. I'm sure they could fab what you want right now. Perhaps your next state side post will be in Georgia.;)

bigmerc'03
08-28-2006, 01:37 AM
cobra headers high flow cats 2.5 inch pipes and flowmasters 40 series mufflers (or your choice) will be great improvement!!!!

RF Overlord
08-28-2006, 03:59 AM
^^^what they all said^^^

If you want any real gains from your exhaust, you need to get a complete system from Reinhart, Kooks or Stainless Works.

In the short term, getting a tune and 4.10 gears will make a bigger bang for your buck.

merc
08-28-2006, 06:31 AM
I would take a close look at California CARB Emissions Law before spending the money on exhaust mods. Just my :twocents: cents.

New "OBDII" Smog Machine Link - The State of California now requires all vehicles 1996 and up, to communicate directly with the smog machine during the smog test. This is achieved via your vehicle's OBDII Data Link Connecter. As part of the smog inspection process, the smog technician will connect a Data Cable from the smog machine to your vehicle's OBDII Data Link Plug. This cable will deliver important "Check Engine" codes and "Readiness Flags" from the engine's computer system to the state's smog machine. Emissions related failure codes will cause your vehicle to fail the smog inspection. The failure codes will be printed on the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) which will be given to you by the smog station.

Marauder_Santa
08-28-2006, 06:56 AM
I'm curious that being military you have the car registered in another state and avoid the CA emissions.

CRUZTAKER
08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
I would take a close look at California CARB Emissions Law before spending the money on exhaust mods. Just my :twocents: cents.

I thought about that as well.
Particularly when this newbie asked about the blower...and folks suggested Trilogy....
HELLO! He's in California...:banned:

But, as those of us whom served will remember...as long as the car is registered in one's 'home state', hopefully NOT California, he may very well do what he pleases.

I actually did the oposite, and kept my old azz emission failing RX7 registerd in Washington for years after my term there to avoid Ohio, my home states emission laws.

USMCmarauder
08-28-2006, 04:01 PM
The emissions thing is definitely a sticking point. Even if I register my car in another state, I still have to pass Cali emissions every two years to get a base sticker (it's a base law). I still think as long as i keep my cats, i should be ok. I had a 10 lb procharger and a bunch of other crap on my 00 GT with high flow cats and it passed. I can't risk not passing though, so I will have to do my best to stay within the parameters of the smog test.

Peter

CRUZTAKER
08-28-2006, 07:01 PM
..... so I will have to do my best to stay within the parameters of the smog test.

Peter

Make friends in the motor pool.:P ;)